PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant Hunting in Kootenay Region

nelsonob1
11-24-2013, 05:46 PM
I would like to take my sons for a pheasant hunt and I was wondering if there are any in the Kootenay Region? there is a private ranch offering this in Cranbrook but I suspect that it will be too expensive for a first time outing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know whether it would be feasible to hunt the Creston Wildlife management area for ducks without a dog to retrieve?

Thx.

bugler
11-24-2013, 06:31 PM
I don't know if there is any "wild" pheasant hunting in the Koots. Maybe around Creston? The ranch you mention is put and take, in other words they release the birds into fields that day and then move through with dogs to put them up for shots. Probably get plenty of chances but may not be your idea of "hunting".

Argali
11-24-2013, 09:21 PM
The only areas in Region 4 open for pheasant are 4-6 and 4-7, with most birds on private land.
If you check out the web site on the ranch in Cranbrook, you will see their prices for package hunts.

Mark_S
11-25-2013, 02:15 PM
In 33 years I have seen exactly 1 pheasant in 4-8 and it was on private land. Unfortunately I think you are going to be SOL for any real good pheasant hunting.

huntinnut
11-25-2013, 02:32 PM
There are definately some pheasants around Creston, but like another said they are mostly on private land with a few in the wildlife management area.

You can definately hunt ducks without a dog. There are areas within the wildlife management area that are shallow enough to wade easily. It's all freezing up for the year now though and only the river and a couple places are open and a boat would be required.

Karl.

huntinnut
11-25-2013, 02:34 PM
There are definately some pheasants around Creston, but like another said they are mostly on private land with a few in the wildlife management area.

You can definately hunt ducks without a dog. There are areas within the wildlife management area that are shallow enough to wade easily. It's all freezing up for the year now though and only the river and a couple places are open and a boat would be required.

Karl.

nelsonob1
11-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Thx for the info guys, much appreciated. Seems like I might have to stick to grouse - on that front it has been a good year.