PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone hunt wolves or cougar around Kamloops?

Danimal
11-24-2013, 03:58 PM
I am wondering if anyone hunts Wolves or cougar with out dogs around Kamloops? I'd really like to learn how and the areas to look for them in. I know lots of people won't give up honey holes for deer, but wolves.... could be a different story!

bambi slayer
11-24-2013, 07:59 PM
ive heard of some wolves around grace lake but never hunted them

Grousedaddy
11-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Theres wolves in the jamieson creek area and also in behind the lac de bois grassland area i have seen tons o tracks up there this year and i bet you would connect if you set yourself up in one of those areas

Sofa King
11-24-2013, 08:25 PM
there's wolves up paul lake way.
but not probably easily huntable with all the inhabited areas.

Danimal
11-24-2013, 08:55 PM
right on! Yeah, once deer season is over i'm going to do whatever i can to score one or more for the good guys! I'd appreciate any advice or direction you're all willing to give and I'll keep everyone posted as to what happens! Thanks guys!

lookclosely
11-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Wolves are more plentiful then deer in this province. If you can't find a wolf in the bush then quit hunting.

yama49
11-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Wolves are more plentiful then deer in this province. If you can't find a wolf in the bush then quit hunting.

And how many have you got.

NorBC
11-24-2013, 10:58 PM
wolftracker.ca should be able to give you all the info you need, and even some spots!

Mulemadness
11-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Head up sawmill fsr to 42 km road on left called gisborne lake fsr. Very healthy wolf pack in the area. I was up there hunting about 3 weeks ago and all night could hear a pack making a ton of noise. A little nerve racking how close they were to camp well sleeping in a tent...

Danimal
11-25-2013, 04:49 PM

Thanks for your 2 cents. I'm glad there are people out there willing to help others to learn something new. I don't see the point of saying something like that, doesn't really put yourself or anyone else any further along by acting like that

adriaticum
11-25-2013, 04:53 PM
I am wondering if anyone hunts Wolves or cougar with out dogs around Kamloops? I'd really like to learn how and the areas to look for them in. I know lots of people won't give up honey holes for deer, but wolves.... could be a different story!

You should go and check out wolftracker.ca.
They have locations of all wolf sightings that are reported to them.
I'm sure you'll find something close to home.

moosinaround
11-25-2013, 05:04 PM
noahDawg is your Dawg. Give him a shout and he'll point ya to those land shark areas!! Happy killing!!!

.330 Dakota
11-25-2013, 06:28 PM
I am sure there are some who will say I am full of sh#@t but I know a fellow who howls like a wolf and if he gets an answer he sits tight. He says the resident pack will show up to kill the intruders within 20 min. If nothing shows or answers within a half hour then he moves to another location.

butcher
11-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Howling is a pretty standard method to locate and kill wolves. You can even use a coyote locator to bring them in. They like killing coyotes.

The Dawg
11-25-2013, 07:02 PM
I am sure there are some who will say I am full of sh#@t but I know a fellow who howls like a wolf and if he gets an answer he sits tight. He says the resident pack will show up to kill the intruders within 20 min. If nothing shows or answers within a half hour then he moves to another location.

Yup. Works well.

Kudu
11-25-2013, 07:12 PM
So here a question for the wolf hunters - does anyone use a fox pro type device to pull the wolves in? If so - what noises are you running to do this - wolf howl?

vanillagator
11-25-2013, 07:52 PM
just had a cougar cross my path last kam hunt. it was Larson hill. an old guy I ran into said, he saw two big toms the last two weeks. As well, I crossed a fresh cougar track up at Dairy lake last week. Need a bluetick though. Used to hunt them when I was a kid with my uncle. lotta fun just following 'em. Once, I remember having treed a cat, watching him, my uncle gave a big scream out, I turn to my uncle and he was on his ass in the snow. He went on to say another cat was treed and used his back as a landing platform to break his fall to the ground. Man, was his face white the rest of the day. lol.

Darksith
11-25-2013, 10:23 PM
I know a few people that cat hunt around kamloops. Lots of wolves as well...sawmill is a good road to try like said above, same with jamison, same with knouff lake area...if you can get some fresh snow, drive till you cut tracks, then maybe setup and do some calling in an open area. If there are farmers around (red lake) they would probably let you setup on an empty field.

Hunting/addict
11-25-2013, 10:39 PM
I am not a wolf hunter but wont turn them down if I see them. I took two wolves a week apart in the last 10 days in reg 3. I have seen wolf sign almostevery where. Both wolves I shot were either watching me at about 75m away and the second came in my direction with a buddy at about 20 yards. That was too close for comfort so I dumped the leader which was a nice male. So far I haven't really been hunting them, they just seem to find me...lol

Good Luck

The Dawg
11-25-2013, 11:06 PM
So here a question for the wolf hunters - does anyone use a fox pro type device to pull the wolves in? If so - what noises are you running to do this - wolf howl?

Yup.

Fox pro is what I use.

Theres a few different patterns that work.

Fawn distress followed by a lone wolf howl, then a group howl.

Or dying coyote followed by group howl.

BlacktailStalker
11-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Thanks for your 2 cents. I'm glad there are people out there willing to help others to learn something new. I don't see the point of saying something like that, doesn't really put yourself or anyone else any further along by acting like that

Do a search of his posts, you'll quickly overlook them after that.

Kudu
11-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Yup.

Fox pro is what I use.

Theres a few different patterns that work.

Fawn distress followed by a lone wolf howl, then a group howl.

Or dying coyote followed by group howl.

Cheers - thanks for that NoahDawg - good to know.

Danimal
11-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Do a search of his posts, you'll quickly overlook them after that.

Very true, There have been a lot of really helpful people on here so one joker in the midst of all the quality people is to be expected. Thank you all who have offered up advice!

LYKTOHUNT
11-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Seen a cat run across the Jaimeson at about 9 KM last Saturday heading east

keithb7
11-27-2013, 01:32 PM
I see the majority of wolf tracks in almost any area north of the S. Thompson river. I see Cat tracks too in other areas, lots of 'em but I won't say where as there are a ton of deer in the area too. I'd rather not share it. I have yet to try wolf hunting but would like to. In a recent conversation I learned of a few interesting tactics. Wolf calling at mid-night or so. Wolfs from miles away may hear or respond and spend the next few hours working your way. Take a rug and get your dog to p i s s on it a few times. Apparently wolves hate domesticated family dogs. Put the rug out in an open field or frozen lake. Word is they'll come in. Be ready at first light. Another good idea I hear is to chop a hole in a frozen lake and set some bait so it is partially submerged in the water and let if freeze there. Hide out near by, with some calling, and they should come into the bait. The bait frozen into the ice will keep them there for a while tugging and pulling at it. They won't be able to just carry it off to a safer location to eat. You should have some time to wake up from your nap and the wolves be in the open. I have not tried these tactics, but they do sound interesting.

guywitha270
11-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Yes, they are plentiful at Cactus Jack's. Sorry, I couldn't resist. :-D

markomoose
11-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Try Lil Fort wolf hunting capital of B.C.Just ask jell bell?