PDA

View Full Version : Wolves around Quesnel

Jarosa
11-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Hey has anyone seen wolves around Quesnel? I would like to go hunt some but dont have a lot of time to spend out scouting for them. If someone has seen some around that could cut down on a search area then I will head out with my son and see if we can track a few down.

Stillhunting
11-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Try the northwest side of 5-13c, there were a few packs working that area the last time I was there, but that was about 10 years ago. Good luck!

Timbow
11-24-2013, 02:54 PM
If you have time, 3900 Rd would be a good start. What sort of approach are you looking at? I was on the trail of three wolves last time I was out deer hunting. That was the Blackwater area. They are everywhere. Good luck and keep us posted.

BCbuckhunter
11-24-2013, 03:18 PM
There is a good size pack that goes back and forth from the lavington and 10A road areas. Another pack in the 2000 rd area. Moffat lake area seems to have a lot around this year. but the 3900 rd would be a really good place to start. At 18.5 km on the 3900 is the 4100rd I worked on a few new cut blocks out there and the moose move into that valley for the winter so the wolves will be there too.

.330 Dakota
11-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Check out Wolftracker.com the map shows tracks found and reported and sightings

Jagermeister
11-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Nyland Lake, Maud Lake, Victoria Creek, Swift River. Closer in, Green Mountain south to Moffat Lake. It would be best if you used a sled to cruise the areas. I forgot to mention the 300 and 500 rds off the Barkerville Hwy. Benson Lake too, always a group in that area.

MAMMOET
11-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Hi Jarosa, I was in 5-13b on Oct 15 and saw tons of wolf tracks. Some were new from day before so try your luck there. Try 5600 rd off Nazko rd. Good luck!!!
Shoot one for me!! Or 2!!

lookclosely
11-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Doesn't matter where you go...the province is littered with 'em - Quesnel included! If you don't see one after a quick drive through the backcountry then you're doing something wrong.

brutus
11-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Doesn't matter where you go...the province is littered with 'em - Quesnel included! If you don't see one after a quick drive through the backcountry then you're doing something wrong.you a funny guy,I have been pounding the bush in bc for 15 plus years and have yet to see one,tracks everywhere scats left over kills I have seen but a actual live wolf never so I dout a quick drive in the backcountry is going to get her done

tigrr
11-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Drive out to some of these areas recommended and stop and do a single long howl. If they are around they will answer. The tough part is meeting 10 hungry wolves and having 4 rounds in the rifle. Have fun. Watch for tracks on the road.

Danimal
11-25-2013, 04:46 PM
you a funny guy,I have been pounding the bush in bc for 15 plus years and have yet to see one,tracks everywhere scats left over kills I have seen but a actual live wolf never so I dout a quick drive in the backcountry is going to get her done

Seems to me that "lookclosely" just goes around hacking on other peoples threads on wolves, trying to make himself appear to be gods gift to hunting, by telling everyone else they are doing it all wrong.... just saying

LYKTOHUNT
11-26-2013, 10:40 AM
I agree with jagermeister,I have seen wolves and shot a wolf up in the Maude lake /4900 road area, there are lots up there but you could have issues getting around without a sled

lookclosely
11-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Seems to me that "lookclosely" just goes around hacking on other peoples threads on wolves, trying to make himself appear to be gods gift to hunting, by telling everyone else they are doing it all wrong.... just saying

I'm "just saying" that from what most of you post up on these forums, wolves are everywhere, overpopulated, and taking over the forests. So it goes without saying that if there's so many wolves out there, then they must be easy to find! :wink:

Jagermeister
11-26-2013, 12:17 PM
The wolf encounters that I have experienced are brief affairs. Now you see them, now you don't. If you're not on point and at some advantage, they are gone before a shot can be had. These encounters of mine have been before the forest was razed by the pine beetle/large block clearcut logging that are occuring at present time.
With the increase in wolf populations and the broader vistas presented by clearcuts it stands to reason that sightings and shooting opportunities are bound to increase. Obviously, the best spots are going to be where the prey animals are hanging out. Find that area, stake it out and wait. Return as often as you can.
I used to chat frequently with an old fellow by the name of Ed Zschiedrich. Ed was born in 1911 in the house that is located at the south-west corner by Dragon Lake, the place where all the logging equipment is parked. You can see it from the highway when northbound.
Anyhow, each and every winter while he was able, Ed pursued the wolves in the Green Mountain area down to Moffat Lake. He used an old snow machine to accomplish this and he was successful. One of the things that Ed told me was to shot the lead wolf. not to kill it outright but to immobilze it. This is the alpha animal, the others follow him or her. If this animal does not run, the rest are not likely to run either allowing for more targets hanging about and more shot opportunities. Now this might seem unethical to some, but for Ed it was key to success. Ed had a vested interest in this because he ran cows in the area in the summer and and the less number of wolves, the better for his cows.

Glenny
11-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Check out Wolftracker.com the map shows tracks found and reported and sightings

.com or .ca?
.com looks all Amercan
.ca looks more B.C

brutus
11-27-2013, 07:21 AM
I'm "just saying" that from what most of you post up on these forums, wolves are everywhere, overpopulated, and taking over the forests. So it goes without saying that if there's so many wolves out there, then they must be easy to find! :wink:
Dude you don't have a clue, I spend a lot of time up north were there is a very healty population,they are there in large numbers we all no it,hunting them with good success is another story,wolf has to be the most elusive animal in the bush period

bearvalley
11-27-2013, 08:12 AM
I agree with jagermeister,I have seen wolves and shot a wolf up in the Maude lake /4900 road area, there are lots up there but you could have issues getting around without a sled

Better yet, go east of Maude and Le Bourdais Lakes.
Cariboo Lake is the place to go. If you time it right the provincial Mountain Caribou recovery team will have a fresh
horse carcass for you to shoot wolves off. Don't feel bad if you shoot a collared one, they have studied those long enough to know they aren't a problem. Just take the collar back to the Williams Lake office and they can rehang it on a new one. Just ask for Rodger.