East Annex, Parliament Buildings
Victoria, BC V8V 1X4
Phone: 250-952-7269
Fax: 250-952-7263
November 22, 2013
Ellen ----
Dear Ms.----:

Re: Wolf Population

Thank you for your email submission November 5, 2013 regarding your concerns with the wolf population in the South Peace Region. The British Columbia government is committed to ensuring sustainable wildlife populations and healthy predator-prey relationships throughout the province. In addition, the Ministry of Environment is committed to working with our stakeholders, ranchers and First Nations to manage the impacts of wolves on livestock and protecting endangered species in British Columbia.

The goal of wolf management in British Columbia is to ensure a self-sustaining population throughout the species’ range and to ensure that within the biological limits of the species, wolves are available in sufficient abundance to fulfil their ecological role and to meet the cultural, recreational, and economic needs of society. The plan indicates wolf populations are likely stable or increasing across the province and are not considered an ‘at-risk’ species. The current wolf population estimate is approximately 8,500, which is similar to an earlier estimate of 8,100 in 1991.

While there are strong differing beliefs and values on the management of wolf populations, it is important that decisions are informed by sound science. Wildlife management plans summarize the best available science-based information on biology and threats to inform the development of a management framework. They set goals and objectives, recommend approaches appropriate for species or ecosystem conservation, and provide strategic advice. While the proposed plan does offer some recommended management actions, it does not advocate any particular action with respect to wolf management. Any future wildlife management decisions will always be made with conservation of all species, including wolves, as the foremost priority.
-2-
The wolf management plan is a comprehensive plan that will help inform future government policy decisions. We have received over 2,500 comments on the plan and each will be read and considered before the plan is finalized. To view the draft Management Plan for the Grey Wolf (Canis lupus) in British Columbia please visit the Ministry of Environment website at http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/public-consultation/grey-wolf/docs/PublicConsultation-WolfManagementPlan.pdf
Farmers and ranchers can use existing hunting and trapping seasons to control predators but must ensure that they comply with all Federal, Provincial and Municipal regulations surrounding hunting, trapping and the discharge of firearms in their area. Predation losses can be reduced/minimized by practicing good livestock husbandry. If you are having trouble with wolves threatening your livestock or pets please contact the Ministry Call Centre at 1-877-952-7277.

Wolves that are harassing or menacing domestic animals (livestock) or birds can be hunted or trapped on a person's property under Section 26(2) of the Wildlife Act. Under Section 2 (Property in Wildlife) - section 2(4) states that a person who by accident or for protection of life or property kills wildlife, that wildlife remains the property of the government.
 The killing or wounding of any wildlife must be reported. Failing to report the killing or wounding of any wildlife, whether or not it is for protection of life or property, is an offence under section 75 of the Wildlife Act.
 Persons must comply with all Municipal, Provincial and Federal laws surrounding the use and discharge of firearms or the setting of traps.
 Persons are liable for any wildlife that is wounded or injured as a result of them exercising their rights under section 26(2) and that they are legally responsible for any misuse of firearms.
 If there is a hunting or trapping season open for wolves at the time and in the location of the occurrence, a trapper from the local trapper's association may be able to assist.
More information regarding predator control and livestock husbandry and protection can be found on the Ministry site at http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/info/wildlife_human_interaction/docs/wolves.html.
Yours truly,

Mike Bernier, MLA
Peace River South

Big Lew
11-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that despite all the reports and requests for predator control from people in the field and directly effected, the government is following their usual and predicted path by simply sticking their heads in the sand and hoping the problem will go away.

GoatGuy
11-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Good for you for writing, that's AWESOME! Looks like a LM type response.

Now, it's a matter of putting the pressure on.

bugler
11-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Thanks for taking the time to write. If you don't mind me asking how was your letter worded?

Unfotunately the response is about what everyone expects from their polititians. I really have to question how they figure the numbers are within 5% of 1991 estimates. Can't speak for the rest of the province but the EK has to be at least double, likely more. It makes it feel like a waste of time but if many of us keep bringing it up maybe they will listen.

You've inspired me to write (yet again!) my MLA on the subject.

Argali
11-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Wow, you got a fairly detailed reply, even if it may have been canned.

I recently wrote to several MLA's with regard to the wolf-caribou issue in the Seymour-Revelstoke area, and only one replied: Norm MacDonald from Revelstoke. Here is the reply:

"Thank you for your email.

This is a very important issue, and a complicated one.

It will take tremendous leadership on the part of the provincial government to address the needs both of the caribou and of local communities.

From a local perspective, I feel confident that all affected parties in Revelstoke will work together to find a solution for the Mountain Caribou. This is the tradition in Revelstoke around complicated issues and a community working together is always the best way to address difficult choices.

Please feel free to keep in touch,

Sincerely,

MLA Norm Macdonald
Columbia River-Revelstoke
Opposition Critic for Forests & Range, ILMB"

"the needs of both caribou and local communities" is a puzzling statement. The "caribou need" for predator (wolf) control is fairly obvious and was the main point of my email. However, I am not sure what the "local community need" is ... maybe a need for viewing wolf kills? I don't get it.

Meanwhile, just waiting on that "tremendous leadership on the part of the provincial government".

Iltasyuko
11-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Nice to see you took the time to write your MLA Rackem. Hopefully others from HBC will do the same.

gcreek
11-24-2013, 09:52 PM
I wonder how many Bios keep telling the polititians that the wolf populations are only "stable" and not "drastically increasing". The truth would be nice at least once in a while.

Follow the money..........

Glad you wrote Rackem, now go see this MLA and ask for clarification and facts.

DHCaptain
11-25-2013, 10:33 AM
So the Provincial Govt. wants it both ways. On the one hand they appear to be encouraging hunting via the Minister of Forests,Lands, and Natural Resource Operations statement in the current Hunting and Trapping Regs. " Hunting is an integral part of the social fabric of BC" and " Hunting supports the economy, providing both direct and indirect jobs" and " Encouraging more people to take up hunting will generate even more jobs" and " encouraging new hunters" and "expanding the youth licence"

on the other hand we the same Ministry's Management Plan for the Grey Wolf in its Executive Summary include the statement " Predator control to enhance ungulate populations for hunting is not supported by policy"

As we all know the provincial wolf population is out of control. In the past 4 years areas that used to have abundant deer, elk, and moose populations now have almost entirely been wiped out, and all you find are wolf sign.

A message to the Minister. If you want to encourage hunting, there has to be some reasonable expectation of success. The "old guys" like me will hang up our rifles and the young guys like my sons and grandson won't be interested.

Rackem
11-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks for taking the time to write. If you don't mind me asking how was your letter worded?

Dear Mr. Bernier,

I am very concerned about wolf populations in the Peace Region. It seems that the populations of wolves in on the rise, with subsequent declines in the ungulate populations. I am not confident that the government numbers are reflecting the true increase in wolves in our area, and across BC.

What is the government planning to do regarding wolf management? Will there be a bounty? Will an aerial management be implemented?

I am a hunter and small farmer, and this issue is becoming more and more urgent in our area, as livestock are being predated along with pets, and wild ungulates, such as Moose, Deer, and Elk.

Warm regards,

Ellen ---

Mikey Rafiki
11-25-2013, 11:10 AM
I would hope that everyone is sending the same letter to the actual Minister involved. Having worked for the province I found that the letters addressed to the Minister get more input from the actual boots on the ground, ie bio's in this case. The MLA responses are a little more fluff, especially if they aren't in power since they are less likely to use the local government staff for input. Ministers responses most often get drafted by local staff or management and are more likely to have any traction, whereas MLA letters get drafted by the MLA's assistant. I did not work for that particular branch, but I did see local spending and policy changes come from letters to the Minister, especially if they were delivered in mass, such as coming from every member of a community association or special interest group. Letters that trickle in are less likely to have any effect.

I'm certainly guilty of being complacent on this topic, but if there is a group of people such as HBC members that are passionate about this, timing a mass mailing to the Minister would be my suggestion for best impact. Now I will draft a letter so I don't feel like such a hypocrite...

Rackem
11-25-2013, 11:19 AM
So who is this Minister we should be writing??

Mikey Rafiki
11-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations I believe.

HONOURABLE STEVE THOMSON
PO BOX 9049 STN PROV GOVT
VICTORIA BC V8W 9E2
Telephone: 250 387-6240
Fax: 250 387-1040

It's a rediculously huge Ministry portfolio that was created by amalgamating a few others a while back. Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch is under the MFLNRO.

adriaticum
11-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks Rack'm for taking the time to write this up.

bugler
11-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Well worded letter Ellen, thanks for sharing

BlacktailStalker
11-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations I believe.

HONOURABLE STEVE THOMSON
PO BOX 9049 STN PROV GOVT
VICTORIA BC V8W 9E2
Telephone: 250 387-6240
Fax: 250 387-1040

It's a rediculously huge Ministry portfolio that was created by amalgamating a few others a while back. Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch is under the MFLNRO.

thanks for that, I will be writing as well.
I also will be suggesting they open up trapping opportunity and enforce minimum trap line harvest to allow people to contribute in a natural way we are currently being robbed of by being unable to trap due to all the hurdles and tape placed in front of us obtaining a trap line. Seems the focus is more on $$$$ for trap lines that come up for auction (and a very very minute percentage of them even do)

EVERYONE should do this. Publicly posting the response as RACKEM has done is good because it is more likely they (the people who receive these letters) will realize that just a quick blurb in response won't be enough to feed us 'wolves' looking to have something done about the real ones.

BlacktailStalker
11-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Is there an email for this guy ?

one-shot-wonder
11-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Awesome job Ellen!
Glad to see others are willing to write and meet with their MLA's.......
Thank you for doing your part in bringing REAL issues to your local representative, I hope this becomes contagious!

J-F
11-25-2013, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the example, it was the kick in the butt I needed.

I just send my own letter to my MLA (Todd Stone, Kamloops-South Kamloops), with copies to Terry Lake on the North Shore and Steve Thomson.

11-26-2013, 12:36 AM
I would hope that everyone is sending the same letter to the actual Minister involved. Having worked for the province I found that the letters addressed to the Minister get more input from the actual boots on the ground, ie bio's in this case. The MLA responses are a little more fluff, especially if they aren't in power since they are less likely to use the local government staff for input. Ministers responses most often get drafted by local staff or management and are more likely to have any traction, whereas MLA letters get drafted by the MLA's assistant. I did not work for that particular branch, but I did see local spending and policy changes come from letters to the Minister, especially if they were delivered in mass, such as coming from every member of a community association or special interest group. Letters that trickle in are less likely to have any effect.

I'm certainly guilty of being complacent on this topic, but if there is a group of people such as HBC members that are passionate about this, timing a mass mailing to the Minister would be my suggestion for best impact. Now I will draft a letter so I don't feel like such a hypocrite...

The Minister or the MLAs may not even read the letters and they surely will not draft the replies. The replies will be drafted by staff with input from someone in the Wildlife Branch, and it will contain the usual rhetoric about sustainability, etc, and will mean next to nothing. In other words the Minister and MLA will pay little heed to letters unless there are lots of them. What politicians do understand are numbers and when enough people bitch things will happen, if just a few people bitch not much will happen. So keep up the good work and please more people get into the letter writing mode.

11-26-2013, 12:38 AM
Another thing that is really effective is personal visits. Stop by your MLS's constituency office when he's in town and talk to him face to face about issues.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-26-2013, 12:30 PM
Nice work, Ellen!
Estimating the wolf population is a very difficult thing to do even though we all know they have increased substantially throughout the province in the past several years.
The biggest thing we should be emphasizing is that we need dedicated funding so that our ungulate inventories/studies aren't out of date and we can we see the problems when they arise and not 5 or 6 years after the fact.

SSS