PDA

View Full Version : A memorable day with Gunner in mind...

rem338win
11-23-2013, 11:37 PM
Being who we are and how we deal with things, Mrs. Gunner and I were visiting earlier this week and mourning the fact that Murray (Gunner) had moved on from this world to the next. During that time we decided that we should try to get out on this Saturday and have a memorial hunt, her hopefully another good hunting friend, and I. It turned out that the other friend couldn't come due to family commitment, but his visit with Mrs. Gunner had some positive consequences. During their visit a buck showed up in the yard and after a scramble for a rifle and ammo, the buck had moved off and was no where to be found. But Mrs. Gunner started to feel the fever again and it gave her the drive to go to a beautiful spot that she drove by often and ask for permission where none could be obtained before. Much to her excitement she received a very positive response and she called me at work and left an excited message. Saturday's hunt would be a special one, as Mrs. Gunner had started the first steps of hunting without her dear husband.

Well, this morning as I pulled up her driveway in the dark, I saw this odd figure on the downhill side of her and Murray's driveway moving. I first thought bear, maybe, too dark for a deer.....its Mrs. Gunner all camo'd up and ready to go! She was excited and obviously itching to get into the field. After quickly going over all the "Murray stuff" that we were both packing that day (I had the 6.5 Rem Mag, a Dozier knife, a hat I had bought him, his WIN card, the little Leupold spotter...she had his camo on, a pack he bought her, the Minox bino's, some deer scents, the .280 he'd given her, and more...) as it was a hunt in his memory, we headed off to the property previously mentioned.

We walked a brush line at the edge of the property in the ghostly grey of the moring toward the back of the place and the river that bordered it. The -10 wasn't biting all that hard, likely due to the lack of wind and the effort of moving while bundled up. The wet chill made all of the smells we hunters adore clear on the olfactory and the eyes played the odd trick convincing us that grey bodies moved at the tree lines across fields and clear cuts. It was perfect to persue the rascally ungulate called whitetail.

The green field was a sharp contrast to the frosty, yellow tall grass, cottonwoods and cedar timber as we passed through and moved into the ungroomed range. It was clear that there is lots of deer movement through that land, and we were moving cautiously on high alert as we approached the areas we intended to lay scent and call in.

We saw a few does and their twins from the spring, and a couple young dry ones as well. Unaware of us do to our super-sneaky, just-by-chance still hunting skills we were able to enjoy watching them, as well as a small woodpecker, in the morning jaunt. After discovering more than we needed to in order to form the opinion that this hunting spot was an absolute whitetail dream land, we ended up in a flat meadow, full of layed down, frosty high grass just off of a slough, a stream bed and about 200yds from an oxbow in the river. It was getting close to the time of day when Mrs. Gunner's cat needed its daily medicine, so after some short deliberation we decided to spray some estrus scent and make some doe bleats to bring a mossy horned brute to us. We setup at the base of the 8' tall remander of an old cottonwood, and started to strategically spray the scent and expertly turn the very difficult to operate bleat can over, and over. Between the concentrated moments of making the doe notes just right, I looked over at Mrs. Gunner to see her gun on the ground and her eyes looking far off. I may have said something along the lines of "you don't look like you expect much to happen..." with a grin on my face and her look returned that I may have guessed right. After calling a time or two more, and a paused look to the slough on my right, I looked back to the line of cottonwoods and hawthorne on my left and saw a doe moving quickly then pausing to stare over her shoulder about 120 yards away. I told Mrs. Gunner about my new friend and she sat up a bit higher to look over the grass that blocked her view. She looked at me as if to say "stop messing with me, boy.." and said "I don't see her". Patiently I told her that the tail outline was pointed right at us, and she was looking back as if expecting her beau to appear soon. Mrs. Gunner stereotypically decided that I must still think she was born yesterday, until I smuggly informed her the larger grey form of the buck I knew was to come had just arrived and that she needed to get on her Bog-pod. She did see the buck that appeared just in time to vindicate me, and in a moment told me that was not her buck (you see she is a seasoned vet, that only cuts her tag on the quarry of her specific choosing) and that if I wanted him, he was all mine. Given the rarity that time is for me in these busy days, and the facts that he wasn't a fork, he had good body size, the day was already memorable, and we had Murray's stuff with us, I decided to take him. The buck kept moving along the edge of the cottonwoods and hawthorne, quartering to most of the way, and the long, yellow grass nearly to his back line. I couldn't use the Bog-pod setup for a nearly foot shorter Mrs. Gunner (not her problem, but ogre-ish mine), so I followed the buck freehand with the Leupold 2.5-8 on 5x until he cleared the grass at roughly 80yds facing me, but quartered slightly to my left. The wires fell to were I pictured the heart, and the 6.5 Remington Magnum that Murray and I spent so much time talking about in its infancy went off like the trigger was directly wired to my brain. The "whock" of the 120gr Ballistic Tip hitting his side made it back to my ear as my left eye saw him stumble and pick himself up to run directly toward Mrs. Gunner and I. The onside shoulder obviously bloody, I did my best to hit him again as he closed in to mere yards to our left; the glancing blow to his same injured leg wasn't required. The buck had hit a bank of earth overhung with a scraggly bending hawthorne curtained with the same long, yellow grass that was all around us. We gathered my precious brass for a moment, high fived and hugged. We made mention of how Murray would have enjoyed this, and then I went to find the blood that led us into the buck's exact expiring place. We had to untangle him from the vegitation, and I pulled him clear enough of the small labrynth to get some memorable pictures. We had some teary moments, and shared another hug, Mrs. Gunner remembering who exposed her to this wonderful tradition, and I how much he would've wanted to be here. How much I wanted him to be there.
I hope you get the big fella you held out for tomorrow Mrs. Gunner! and make sure the other guy does the dirty work for you....

Mrs.Gunner kneeling in the meadow soaking it all in...
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/rem338win/07A65B06-CF35-49A1-959B-3500527C8557-872-00000150D9C1CF24_zpsf1617e5e.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/user/rem338win/media/07A65B06-CF35-49A1-959B-3500527C8557-872-00000150D9C1CF24_zpsf1617e5e.jpg.html)
Can you see the buck....
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/rem338win/2B7E5851-9596-437F-95CF-86A936C231B3-872-000001468B5B7F8B_zpse1f4f0d5.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/user/rem338win/media/2B7E5851-9596-437F-95CF-86A936C231B3-872-000001468B5B7F8B_zpse1f4f0d5.jpg.html)
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/rem338win/7A277BD5-EBD4-4376-A052-53723EA41B77-872-000001464797238A_zps586b4ea2.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/user/rem338win/media/7A277BD5-EBD4-4376-A052-53723EA41B77-872-000001464797238A_zps586b4ea2.jpg.html)http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/rem338win/A95533A0-2CAB-499D-AEFC-2758EC8CC994-872-000001460B60B231_zpsde2b1daa.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/user/rem338win/media/A95533A0-2CAB-499D-AEFC-2758EC8CC994-872-000001460B60B231_zpsde2b1daa.jpg.html)

And it wouldn't be the same if I didn't have one of the old boy....http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/rem338win/MurafterMoose_zpsfe24d1bb.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/user/rem338win/media/MurafterMoose_zpsfe24d1bb.jpg.html)

Blktail
11-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Awesome! To Mr. Gunner. And Mrs. Gunner and you.

Hammerhead
11-24-2013, 12:31 AM
I guess that's what friends are for huh. Well done and congrats to you both. I'm sure you would have been looked upon with a smile.
HH

Salty
11-24-2013, 12:35 AM
good stuff 338

300H&H
11-24-2013, 12:55 AM
A great story and very well narrated, thank you for sharing it with us. And a big thanks for taking Mrs Gunner with you.

BlacktailStalker
11-24-2013, 12:58 AM
That was nice, well done and good on Mrs.Gunner for getting out there.
Mr.Gunner will be along on all your hunts.

Sofa King
11-24-2013, 01:41 AM
A great story and very well narrated, thank you for sharing it with us. And a big thanks for taking Mrs Gunner with you.
narrated? i couldnt hear a thing.

coach
11-24-2013, 01:53 AM
Great stuff! A well told story and wonderful pics to match. Gunner would be proud. Thanks for sharing.

5 spike
11-24-2013, 03:18 AM
Awesome thanks for sharing.

hunter1947
11-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Fantastic wright up good on you for what you did living in this world is what this is all about thanks for sharing all :)..

Wrayzer
11-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Great stuff.

Wood butcher
11-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Very Nice.

Blainer
11-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Absolutely Fantastic
Great way to start my morning along with my first coffee.
Thanks for sharing!
Precious moments

nature girl
11-24-2013, 11:08 AM
That is fantastic that Mrs. Gunner and you went out on a hunt. Probably something she really needed to do.
Hopefully she gets a chance at a deer.

ncurrie
11-24-2013, 11:21 AM
That's so fantastic! Thanks for sharing:)

killman
11-24-2013, 11:30 AM
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

rem338win
11-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the kind words and it was a fantastic day with Mrs. Gunner. I should make it clear that she took me! And her deer is running around on that property waiting for her. She knows what he looks like :)

Darksith
11-24-2013, 02:12 PM

Maybe Im taking this the wrong way, but really duallie? Just gotta get a smart ass comment in a thread that was in memory of a great HBCer. Gunner had offered me advice and was a great contributor to HBC. We will miss him over the years to come, but what a great way to remember the guy he was.

phoenix
11-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Read duallie, read. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/narrated ,spoken or WRITTEN story
Kim

.308 NORMA
11-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Great story!!. As I was going by Gunners drive way, I seen the pickup then notice two persons walking the bush line of the field.

FLHTCUI
11-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the read rem338...
Found out today at work,
Rob

MCLENNAN, Murray Stewart
February 21, 1950 - November 17, 2013
Best of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout streams
And above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be part of them forever
An avid outdoorsmen, Murray lived and breathed hunting and fishing having spent 30 years in that industry. He didn't think much of the CBC, the NDP or vegetables but loved all birds, waterfowl in particular, bird dogs, fly tying, reloading, massive volumes of mainly history books, modelling, classic rock music (having been a drummer) and was a loyal Habs fan. Murray was an active member in many clubs during his life including BC Wildlife Federation, Ducks Unlimited and Kingfisher Rod & Gun Club. He loved living in the Okanagan with so many types of birds arriving at his feeders and a great variety of wildlife showing up in his yard. All those that knew him will miss his brilliance, his well informed opinions and his incredible sense of humour. Predeceased by his parents, Alastair and Audrey, faithful labs, Gunner and Boomer and too many good friends, he is survived by his second wife, Denise, sister, Adair, uncle, Bill, numerous cousins and Bucky. Heartfelt thanks go to all the healthcare professionals that kept Murray at home as long as possible. Celebration of life Feb. 22, 2014, Grindrod Hall, Grindrod, BC. In lieu of flowers, donations to any of the above clubs would be appreciated.

Published in Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on Nov. 24, 2013
- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/theprovince/obituary.aspx?n=murray-mclennan&pid=168176349#sthash.dxvEEC9F.dpuf

RiverOtter
11-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Awesome story and hunt, Murray woulda been tickled, no doubt about it. That river bottom looks very familiar and no doubt home to many beauty white tails.

Good to hear the Minox bins are getting put to good use....

rem338win
11-25-2013, 12:22 PM
I have been given permission to post a pic of Mrs Gunner with the buck. She's self concious about the un-Camo toque so don't mention it :)http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/rem338win/12818F0F-2154-4300-8672-02BE98915D9B-606-000002254827682A_zpsf458a0df.jpg<br><br>

Philcott
11-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks for sharing that morning with us. It was good of you to get out with her for a tribute hunt.

Mrs. Gunner, nice to see you out in the field.

Fireball129
11-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Great story,nice buck and a tribute to Gunner for you and his wife to share his memories.

TIKKA TIGER
11-25-2013, 01:15 PM
That was totally awesome and very touching... Thanks so much for sharing that moment and the hunt with us...

Gunner
11-27-2013, 01:18 AM
I found Murray's camo toque as soon as I got home. If things calm down around here maybe we can find this bucks Dad before Saturday ? It's a long shot, no pun intended, but just maybe we can get another buck for the big guy...
Mrs. Gunner

Weatherby Fan
11-27-2013, 01:41 AM
Outstanding story in Gunners memory,thank you so much for sharing.
WF

Blainer
11-27-2013, 06:10 AM
I found Murray's camo toque as soon as I got home. If things calm down around here maybe we can find this bucks Dad before Saturday ? It's a long shot, no pun intended, but just maybe we can get another buck for the big guy...
Mrs. GunnerFantastic picture
I was happy to re-read thread, now get out there and find Papa Buck!
and most of all, enjoy yourself, look up and smile, as you are being smiled down upon!

Piperdown
11-27-2013, 06:33 AM
A real beautiful pic, good luck on finding your cranker buck!

MB_Boy
11-27-2013, 07:58 AM
That is great and thanks for sharing!!

Good luck finding one worthy of squeezing the trigger Mrs. Gunner. Gunner must be darn proud seeing you guys out there in his honour.

Hank Hunter
11-27-2013, 08:37 AM

Perhaps the most asinine and inappropriate post ever.

BigSlapper
11-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Perhaps the most asinine and inappropriate post ever.

Agreed - Duallie, you need to move on.
A moving tribute, nonetheless.

Gunner
11-30-2013, 08:49 PM
I was so looking forward to the last day of whitetail season today, once again getting out in memory of Gunner. This mornings hunt was un-eventful having only seen tracks, no deer. This afternoon, however, had me very upset. Our good friend drove up for the afternoon hunt and off we went. I had double checked on permission for today and got the go ahead. It took us some time to stalk all the way down there ever so quietly only to turn and find someone following us. A local 'woman', surrounded by dogs heading straight for us. There we are, in camo, with guns...there is no way she could not have known we were hunting especially since I know the owner of the property filled her in. So she keeps coming, lots of acres but she wants to walk all these dogs where we want to hunt, she is not the owner, just a guest like us. I sent our friend on ahead to set up where we had success last weekend and walked towards her to see if she could please re-route. To make a long story short, she said no, she and the dogs were used to going wherever they want so she went on ahead to where we wanted to hunt. The dogs found, and started barking at, our friend that went on ahead with her yelling more than she had to at the dogs....you get the idea. I am so happy Gunner was not there today to deal with this clueless 'woman', I am sure if we had managed to get him over for one last hunt she would have done the same thing without a care how anyone other than her was affected. She smiled at me on her way back, her job was done, the hunt was ruined. I hope there is such a thing as karma.

rem338win
12-01-2013, 12:48 AM
Some people are selfish, disrespectful harpies. It's her worldview must be superior and not an iota of respect for others.
I am so very sad to hear that this crummy, wretched human being could do this.

hunter1947
12-01-2013, 06:18 AM
Bad people out there in this world that's why I like spending as much time in nature as I can ,,so many people out there don't have respect for others as you said if there is a Karma out there I hope this person get there's in the end

phoenix
12-01-2013, 08:08 AM
I was so looking forward to the last day of whitetail season today, once again getting out in memory of Gunner. This mornings hunt was un-eventful having only seen tracks, no deer. This afternoon, however, had me very upset. Our good friend drove up for the afternoon hunt and off we went. I had double checked on permission for today and got the go ahead. It took us some time to stalk all the way down there ever so quietly only to turn and find someone following us. A local 'woman', surrounded by dogs heading straight for us. There we are, in camo, with guns...there is no way she could not have known we were hunting especially since I know the owner of the property filled her in. So she keeps coming, lots of acres but she wants to walk all these dogs where we want to hunt, she is not the owner, just a guest like us. I sent our friend on ahead to set up where we had success last weekend and walked towards her to see if she could please re-route. To make a long story short, she said no, she and the dogs were used to going wherever they want so she went on ahead to where we wanted to hunt. The dogs found, and started barking at, our friend that went on ahead with her yelling more than she had to at the dogs....you get the idea. I am so happy Gunner was not there today to deal with this clueless 'woman', I am sure if we had managed to get him over for one last hunt she would have done the same thing without a care how anyone other than her was affected. She smiled at me on her way back, her job was done, the hunt was ruined. I hope there is such a thing as karma.
You have a witness so phone the CO and try to get her charged with "Interfering with a legal hunt" It is against the law.
Kim