PDA

View Full Version : Sitting in a stand

rides bike to work
11-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Well here I sit in my stand waiting for mister buck to walk out. The whole area around me is a mix of maple and cedar so the whole forest floor is covered in leaves . The fact is I'm tired and am gonna take a little napskee .

so my question do you normally hear the deer before you see them.?

Hopefully I wake up to some crunchy leaves with a nice buck.

monasheemountainman
11-23-2013, 09:23 AM
you have a better chance at getting one if you are awake and aware

Blainer
11-23-2013, 09:24 AM
In tight quarters, I almost always hear game before seeing them.
Now when in the truck, with stereo up, it's a completely different situation.

sapper
11-23-2013, 11:27 AM
How the world has changed. Do you think our parents, or some older hunters on here, would ever have thought that a hunter could, while sitting in a stand, send a message to an online message board that would be able to be read around the world? All this without a telephone line, morse code, smoke signals, etc. :-)
Oh, and in response to your question - make sure your phone is either on vibrate or silent. A number of years ago I took a friend of mine hunting on his first trip. I finally lost it with him after hearing his phone, from the other side of a lovely meadow frequented by whitetail, continually beeping with messages coming through.:mad:

.300WSMImpact!
11-23-2013, 11:36 AM
about 60 yards out is when I here them, if there is no wind

Buckmeister
11-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Yesterday I was sitting in blind with very crunchy snow on the ground. Had a deer come in at 80 yards and didn't hear it at all. It was a buck too. Out of range for my bow, but if I had my gun I would have let it walk anyways as it was very small. It was walking through some trees and I only had a few glimpses of it. It came in to my rattling.

Now last year, I know of a guy who fell asleep on stand and when he awoke a very nice white tail was right in front of him at about 25 yards. He just happened to wake at the right time as he did not hear it come in.

MOWITCH SLAYER
11-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Took a little nap once ! woke up with 6 cows and a small bull elk standing 40 yards away . i think they were disappointed in me as a hunter because they just stood there staring . one even relieved herself before moving on !

Big Lew
11-23-2013, 11:43 AM
How the world has changed. Do you think our parents, or some older hunters on here, would ever have thought that a hunter could, while sitting in a stand, send a message to an online message board that would be able to be read around the world? All this without a telephone line, morse code, smoke signals, etc. :-)
Oh, and in response to your question - make sure your phone is either on vibrate or silent. A number of years ago I took a friend of mine hunting on his first trip. I finally lost it with him after hearing his phone, from the other side of a lovely meadow frequented by whitetail, continually beeping with messages coming through.:mad:

You're so right with the tech comment, and although you didn't think it was funny at the time, I think it's hilarious about the constant beeping situation.

The Hermit
11-23-2013, 12:23 PM
I was stalking a nice 4x5 last evening when my damn phone buzz zed. Had to laugh at my self as he bounded away.

goatdancer
11-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Maybe just turn the stupid things off. If you're hunting, pay attention. Unless your better half is expecting at any moment and you have to rush her to the hospital, the rest can wait.

rides bike to work
11-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Well nothing came crunching into the stand this morning.

I sat from 6:30 -11:00 I listened to a eagle some crows some quaders stopped to yell at each other.

After 9:00 i got to cold to nap but it was good to know I was burning calories shivering.

Of course I had my phone on silent. I think its cool that I can surf the net a little to pass the time while hunting. I am new to hunting in a stand I would never have my phone on while stalking but sitting in a stand I don't care who you are it gets boring.

This spot is five minutes from my house and I have researched this spot for two years and trail cam told me to sit so that's what I did. I planned which branches i should cut out spotted another stand location for when the wind is not cooperating. As well texted with the wife and had pics of the kids sent to me to keep me company. I will be dedicating the rest of the season to this spot because my trail cam told me to;)

BRrooster
11-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Sometimes I hear them sometimes I dont. Depends on conditions and all that. There have been many times that Ive looked and looked and all of sudden
.......there he is out in the middle of no where. How in the heck did that happen. When Im after Mule deer on thier migration route, I like to listen for the Squirrels sounding off at the deer as they get closer to me and the trail that Im watching. I save my nap times for back at camp and try to fill my freezer when Im out in the woods. But to each thier own, right. If your having a great day out in the great outdoors and being at one with nature, then you do what to do, when and where you want to.
PS Ill whack that buck on the next ridge after he walks past you!
cheers
bruce

Hillbros_96
11-23-2013, 02:51 PM
The majority of the time I have heard them come in within bow range. They are not silent walkers at all, but they do not have the same walking pattern as us, so it can be deceiving. I tend to read a book, and I have been suprised once or twice, but they were out past 100 yards both times.

adamgarbett
11-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Let's see the cam pics, I'll be the judge lol

sapper
11-23-2013, 03:34 PM
"This spot is five minutes from my house..." In a van down by the river? :) Your location gets me smiling each time I read it. I hope the stand and your trail cam pay off. Enjoy the rest of the season.

killman
11-23-2013, 08:20 PM
I am normally shivering to bad to hear anything......

gamehunter6o
11-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Aren't stands called "stands" because you are supposed to STAND in them?:confused:

Sofa King
11-23-2013, 09:46 PM
I was stalking a nice 4x5 last evening when my damn phone buzz zed. Had to laugh at my self as he bounded away.

dafuq you stalking a big buck for with your phone on?

sawmill
11-24-2013, 05:28 AM
dafuq you stalking a big buck for with your phone on?

Kids now days.(shakes his head sadly)
If we get a solar flare that knocks out the com satilites half you guys won`t know how to feed yourselves,never mind get home.
My phone is bolted to the kitchen wall.Never miss it.

hunter1947
11-24-2013, 06:57 AM
Well here I sit in my stand waiting for mister buck to walk out. The whole area around me is a mix of maple and cedar so the whole forest floor is covered in leaves . The fact is I'm tired and am gonna take a little napskee .

so my question do you normally hear the deer before you see them.?

Hopefully I wake up to some crunchy leaves with a nice buck.

Regarding WT deer I never hear them come in at most times they just quietly show up in the rut if your calling or rattling the buck will snort sometimes when he comes in to your call.