PDA

View Full Version : Right handed drive vehicles

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-03-2007, 06:01 PM
I was in the market for a new 4x4 ,and I met this guy who imported a few right handed drive Toyota Landcruisers in from Japan,I went to take a look at one of the Cruisers he had for sale and fell in love with it instantly ,I took it out a few times and finally bought it three weeks ago.Well I have to honestly say it is the best vehicle I have ever owned ,great mileage about 28 mpg Hyw and this thing goes anywhere.
1987 BJ 71
3.4 L Turbo diesel
Chrome bumper with factory PTO winch
mint condition 97,000 k
5 speed
full floated axle
bfg all terrains

I will post a few pics on a sunny day ,and I was wondering does any one else drive a right handed drive?

Steeleco
02-03-2007, 06:06 PM
I've seen a few around the lower mainland of late, wish they'd been available before I bought my Jeep a few years back. The diesel engine is a real selling point.

Rod
02-03-2007, 08:35 PM
You hit on a subject that intrests me almost as much at hunting.

I have been driving, repairing and modifying LandCruisers for 20+ years. Worked at a Cruiser shop in the US and was the Technical Feeatures editor for Toyota Trails magazine and these are the best trucks going. (I also worked as a driver doing engineering tests on vehicles for the military so I have some experience).

My currenbt truck is a 1985 BJ70 with 500,000km and I just filled it up last week and calculated the mileage from the govt of canada website, I got just short of 50 MPG (Imperial gallon)!! and over 900k's between tanks.

I think you have a 3BT engine, that's the same as mine with a turbo, I would love to get my hands on a truck like yours and use my own to convert to LHD.

If you have any Cruiser questions feel free to send me a PM.

welcome to the "other" cult! :-)
Rod

boxhitch
02-03-2007, 08:45 PM
I just filled it up last week and calculated the mileage from the govt of canada website, I got just short of 50 MPG (Imperial gallon)!! and over 900k's between tanks.

:-)
Rod
Speak Canadian please. Litres/100 k. ? (It took along time to get my head into the current measureing, I'm too lazy to convert)

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Thank you very much Rod,I cant say enough good things about this truck.I drove up to Merrit the other day and cruised up all the hills in 5th gear at 2200 rpm at 100 km/hr with out gearing down once.The turbo is awesome,and the power steering makes it handle very nice.My dad had a few Cruisers in the 70's and is still highly addicted.:lol:

RiverOtter
02-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Speak Canadian please. Litres/100 k. ? (It took along time to get my head into the current measureing, I'm too lazy to convert)

Miles per gallon is Canadian, PET was a moron. Almost 30 years under a metric system and I can't say I know anyone who is fully converted.

RO

Rod
02-03-2007, 11:10 PM
5.6496L/100km Doesn't mean squat to me but that's what it works out to..

Rod

pitdog
02-03-2007, 11:57 PM
I've unloaded lots of them off the car ships and the first time I did I was very impressed, A buddy of mine got one and he said he will drive it till they stop making parts so have fun they're great.

kishman
02-04-2007, 12:14 AM
Can't go wrong buying a Toyota, watch 'em tare up the track in NASCAR this year. GO 'YOTA!!:twisted:

FlyingHigh
02-04-2007, 12:24 AM
My dad owns a turbo diesel right hand drive 5 spd. 1990 4runner. Got it through Outback Imports, which ships from Japan. only had 35 000km on it when we bought for $12 500 it a little over a year ago, and now has 60 000+ km on it. Runs pretty good, handles fine. Nice thing though, it came pretty much tricked out for wheeling, cause the Japanese are gadget freaks and wheeler wannabes. brush guard, winch, foglights, etc. none of them have ever been used. He loves it, I'm not a big fan of it. Pain in the rear trying to turn right into traffic, it has a speed thingy on it so when you go over 108km/h it goes "ding ding ding" until you drop below 108, lousy stereo and the windshield wiper are reversed so it tough to get replacement blades. And it's gutless as all get out. Also, the never ending stares of people too dense to realize that yes, they do make vehicle in right hand drive get annoying. I'll stick with my 1994 Toyota mini pickup with a decent 4 banger 22RE engine. Got way more power than dad's. ;) To each their own. Major advatages in the price and mileage you can get on them though. Low price, Low mileage.

Tack
02-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Hi,
This is a very interesting thread.

What surprises me is that diesel engines have not taken a big hold in the North American market. The "mid-sized" diesel in your Landcruiser would seem to be ideal in Canada but they were never accepted. I assume that with cheap gasoline that they were never taken seriously.

As for Toyota I think that the Landcruiser is the best practical 4X4 there is. Here in the UK people will spout on about the Range Rover, the Discovery and even the more utilitarian Defender models from Landrover but the Japanese models are out of sight in terms of engineering innovation, build quality and longevity.

That said the green police here are taxing the 4X4 off our roads. One local authority in London is charging 4X4 owners the equivalent of C$800 per year for the privilage of parking outside their own houses!

Tack

fozzy
02-04-2007, 01:10 AM
I've got a 1990 4 door Hilux in the driveway. Ok it's actually my Wife's truck. :) It is very clean, non turbo 2.8 diesel, solid front axle.
Yup can't go wrong with the Toyota's.

Rod
02-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Let's see my first Toy was a 1980 mini-pickup that lost a fight with a Caprice (I cut the car in half though). Then a 1980 gas Cruiser that got 10MPG (no metric but trust me it sucked), added two Cruiser 4dr Wagons with 6cyl diesels, then a gas pickup... slowly got rid of them and bought a new Dodge Ram with a 318 that wouldn't pass a gas station... couple of other various import and domestics before getting a 91 Cherokee and after a little over a year I couldn't stand it. My current Cruiser is better made, more comfy and will probably still be running strong at 1,000,000kms.

Nope it's not a powerfull beast but at less than $50.00 for 900km of driving who cares if people in smart car hybrids pass me on hills :-)

eastkoot
02-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Before you even consider it make sure it will pass a B.C. vehicle inspection. Get the inspection yourself, don't believe the importers as they may have their "own" inspections. You must make sure that all lights are asa or dot approved and are in the correct place.. If not, if you are stopped by RCMP or CVSE you may be in for a suprise.. Those that already have them and haven't had them inspected, beware.How do I know???.:twisted: :lol:

Rod
02-05-2007, 08:17 PM
I am pretty sure that the Japan import LandCruisers meet all specs with one exception. They don't have a side marker on the front fenders (I think they do have the rear side markers).

They can be added in quite easily if you are worried about getting nailed for them. I would look for parts from a mini-pickup at a wrecker and just wire them into the harness that goes to the front parking lights.

Rod

eastkoot
02-05-2007, 08:25 PM
If they have moulded headlamps they will not pass and if they have round ones they must be changed..Side markers must be installed and all marker and tail lamps must be csa or dot stamped (lots aren't)..lots have been sent in for inspection including those from the importer mentioned above.

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-05-2007, 08:33 PM
My only worry is pulling off the bumpers from the trackers and sidekicks with my winch when they get stuck in front of me.My truck has gone through the B.C inspection,and had the highest air care score possible for a diesel.:lol:

Will
02-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Miles per gallon is Canadian, PET was a moron. Almost 30 years under a metric system and I can't say I know anyone who is fully converted.
Yep........Bought Lumber at any "Canadian" lumber stores lately.
Haven't seen a sheet of plywood not labeled 4'x8' yet :lol:

BHF !
Sounds like a Nice Rig..........you don't deserve it :)

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Hey Will, you didnt deserve that whitetail buck either but that didnt stop you from making a beautiful Texas Heart shot in his poor ass.:lol:

Will
02-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Hey Will, you didnt deserve that whitetail buck either but that didnt stop you from making a beautiful Texas Heart shot in his poor ass.
Texas Hear shot ? Are Whitetail's arses in a different place ? :|
:lol:

This thread is useless without Pics of this Fine Ride 8)
Go out and bury it up to the handles in goo...then post some pics :wink:

browningboy
02-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Toyotas are the way to go, I'm getting a new tundra and it makes the domestics look like shit, its got 385H/P, blows the doors off a hemi and its a yota! Its got resale value.

BHF, whats the importing costs on your rig and did you buy it offshore or did you purchase local and someone else import???:|

Rod
02-06-2007, 01:32 AM
Here is mine, I rolled it a few days after the pic, put it back on it's wheels dragged it outa the ditch topped up the oil and I was on my way :-)

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m59/rlahaise/Offroad/Rods70.jpg

wetcoaster
02-06-2007, 02:50 AM
I was in the market for a new 4x4 ,and I met this guy who imported a few right handed drive Toyota Landcruisers in from Japan,I went to take a look at one of the Cruisers he had for sale and fell in love with it instantly ,I took it out a few times and finally bought it three weeks ago.Well I have to honestly say it is the best vehicle I have ever owned ,great mileage about 28 mpg Hyw and this thing goes anywhere.
1987 BJ 71
3.4 L Turbo diesel
Chrome bumper with factory PTO winch
mint condition 97,000 k
5 speed
full floated axle
bfg all terrains

I will post a few pics on a sunny day ,and I was wondering does any one else drive a right handed drive?

Sounds like an awsome truck and I would love to have one in the described condition but don't you think three weeks of ownership is a little premature in stating it is the best vehicle you have ever owned? It has barely been around the block in your posession yet?:wink:

Fisher-Dude
02-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Yep........Bought Lumber at any "Canadian" lumber stores lately.
Haven't seen a sheet of plywood not labeled 4'x8' yet :lol:

Actually, your plywood is metric! 1220mm x 2440mm. The thicknesses are all in metric too....3/8ths is 9.5mm, etc. I worked at one of the major forestry companies and we all converted years ago. I bought some "new" plywood to patch beside some "old" plywood and found that there is a slight (1/16th) width difference.

Gun Dog
02-13-2007, 10:22 AM
If they have moulded headlamps they will not pass and if they have round ones they must be changed..Side markers must be installed and all marker and tail lamps must be csa or dot stamped (lots aren't)..lots have been sent in for inspection including those from the importer mentioned above.All the glass has to be NA approved too. That can get expensive (or impossible).

From a vehicle inspection bulletin:

Recently, vehicles imported from Japan have passed inspection and are registered in the
province. However, some of these vehicles do not meet the Motor Vehicle Act, Motor Vehicle
Act Regulations or the Vehicle Inspection Manual criteria.
Some examples of items identified that do not meet inspection criteria include:
Catalytic converter(s) missing
Lamps, lens, bulbs and reflex reflectors not meeting SAE, DOT standards and marked as such
Daytime running lamps missing
High mounted stop lamp missing
Rear side marker reflex reflectors missing
Headlamps designed for right hand drive that do not meet CMVSS
Windshields not marked AS1, AS2, AS10 or AS14
Side glass not marked AS1, AS2, AS10 or AS11
Neutral switch missing

TravisC
02-13-2007, 03:37 PM
If Anyone is in the market my cusin has a toyota helix(i think that what it called) its quite simmilar to the four runner. its a right hand drive 4x4 diesel. he is staying with me right now . ive only seen pics of it i'll try and get a pic from him to post . he says it in mint condition body wise but he thinks it may need engine work but not mayor its drive able. he's looking for 10$ for it. i'll check back here later and try and post a pic when he gets home. he may have more info on it.

Jager
02-13-2007, 09:36 PM
I drive a couple of Hilux's for work. Both are turbo diesels and quite gutless. Toyota has a major design flaw with the rear window retracting into the tailgate....you have to clean the window each time you want to open the back or all that mud and goo gets pulled down and causes things to rust out. I haven't been keeping real good track of the mileage but I would guess it isn't much better than an import sized gas engine. There are also different blind spots and you have to adjust to reversed wiper/light controls. Another issue is finding import diesel mechanics and parts should you need them.

Would I buy one????? Only if it was a good deal and it was maybe a Landcruiser. The concept is a good idea but I haven't noticed a huge benefit.....ALSO, say goodbye to drive thru's unless you have an accomodating passenger.

Derek_Erickson
02-13-2007, 09:50 PM
10 dollars hey!

Sideofabarn
02-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Speaking of Toyotas, we were mulling about buying a newish Tundra a while ago. We were cautioned by a guy who owned one that the base of the tray in the sport model (no word about the other models) isn't that solid. I can't remember the specifics... We were thinking of throwing a camper on it. Any words from the wise on this? Oh, and we never bought a truck, still got the dakota, which pulled a 3000lb trailer 17,000km in two months last summer.

wjh131
02-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Just one question, when you come behind a semi trailer unit, how the heck to see if it's safe to pass? You gotta get way out before you can see anything. BTW, they're usually dependable and have no problem with them.

austrian archer
02-14-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm a big Toyota fan.Got two in the driveway.I think it would be too hard to get used to R/H drive. I like the idea of a diesel, though. Considering converting my p/u.Any ideas?8)

steepNdeep
02-15-2007, 10:19 AM
My only worry is pulling off the bumpers from the trackers and sidekicks with my winch when they get stuck in front of me.My truck has gone through the B.C inspection,and had the highest air care score possible for a diesel.:lol:

You 4x4 with the trackers and sidekicks... :lol: :lol:

Jager
02-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Just a side note...the Hilux's I drive for work came from Japan and their radios only go from 70.0 - 90.0 on the FM dial. You'll have to install a new stereo if your favorite station isn't in that range.

horshur
03-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Fish---have you been able to calculate the mileage??wondering myself because I have been considering the same option--

BIGHUNTERFISH
03-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Horse, I have been doing mostly highway driving and I am averaging around 27 miles to the gallon.My average driving speed is about 100 k/hr at 2200 rpm.I really like this truck and if you maintain the motor it will go for 800,000 + k .Where it really shines is off road when you are in 4 low you can crawl up any mountain.8-)

VanIsle
03-20-2007, 04:49 PM
For those that are contemplating importing a RH drive vehicle, you might want to read this article first.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2006/12/22/japanesecars.html

Pete

BIGHUNTERFISH
03-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Heres my turbo diesel cruiser.http://www.lan-lord.net/upload/pics/20070320190001my%20truck.jpg

308BAR
03-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Can anyone PM me a dealer for these trucks, lower mainland prefered. Thanks.

308BAR
03-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Heres my turbo diesel cruiser.http://www.lan-lord.net/upload/pics/20070320190001my%20truck.jpg

That is very sweet vehicle.....mmm...diesels.

MichelD
03-23-2007, 03:42 PM
They look great, and the testimonials sound great too, but unless I lived strictly on the Douglas or Gang Ranch and didn't have to do any I highway driving, I'd be scared shitless to drive one.

How do you pass on a two lane highway?

Ubertuber
03-23-2007, 06:54 PM
I had a 1979 BJ40 for six years. That was by far the best 4X4 I've ever owned. The diesel was like a tank, it kept on running, no matter what.

I should never have sold the thing.

quadrakid
03-23-2007, 08:46 PM
somebody must be importing quite a few,i see new ones daily in campbell river courtenay area. how does the old shoulder check of the blind spot work from the right side?