PDA

View Full Version : Proposed spring elk hunt

Doublelung
11-22-2013, 10:04 AM
http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/ahte/hunting/new-private-land-spring-spike-bull-elk-season

would be great to have something to look forward to in the spring!!

s0ylentgreen
11-22-2013, 10:52 AM
initially i was happy

but

i think this would be tough to get into

"select private areas" in 4-22

hunter1947
11-22-2013, 11:00 AM
I my self don't like it my thoughts are that most of these spike bull elk are not residential many of them are a hi land elk that are down low in the winter for habitat.

When spring comes they head back up into the highlands if they have a GOS on spike bull elk it will take away the up coming numbers ,,most spike bull elk if the make it through to April they will most likely survive to make it into another year ,,it will take out many recruits for the up coming elk numbers ,,this is my thoughts..

Everett
11-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Now wouldn't that be a gong show just waiting to happen. And what is select private lands within Management Unit 4-22 and how would the general public get access.

E.V.B.H.
11-22-2013, 12:13 PM
I my self don't like it my thoughts are that most of these spike bull elk are not residential many of them are a hi land elk that are down low in the winter for habitat.

When spring comes they head back up into the highlands if they have a GOS on spike bull elk it will take away the up coming numbers ,,most spike bull elk if the make it through to April they will most likely survive to make it into another year ,,it will take out many recruits for the up coming elk numbers ,,this is my thoughts..

Exactly, not the resident elk they are trying to reduce. And who wants to Eat an elk when it's all skinny and coming out of the hardest part of the year for them, stressed and probably hungry. Bad idea.

Doublelung
11-22-2013, 12:29 PM
It would be a gong show to say the least, bright orange, buggy whip and strobe required not to get shot!!

sawmill
11-22-2013, 12:57 PM
That`s about the most bullshit thing I`v heard lately.Every spring here I see herds or 40 to 100 elk in the fields,4 or 5 are spike bulls.What is shooting them going to help?You ain`t going to discourage the others from coming back next morning.And,as has been pointed out,you really want to eat a skinny willow bark fed elk?Who thinks this shit up?

overunder
11-22-2013, 01:16 PM
over educated fools think this crap up.

sawmill
11-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Bet they never hunted.I want that job.Work indoors,no more heavy lifting,make stupid shit up,nice wage and pension.16 years of schooling and they still haven`t made it to grade 3.

Salty
11-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Wouldn't you think they've been lobbied pretty hard by farmers and ranchers for this to be a consideration? I'm pretty sure the bios don't sit in an office and say hey,, I know, lets have an open season for elk on private land that'd be kind of neat...

11-22-2013, 03:14 PM
I doubt the bios are having much input into this change...

sawmill
11-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Wouldn't you think they've been lobbied pretty hard by farmers and ranchers for this to be a consideration? I'm pretty sure the bios don't sit in an office and say hey,, I know, lets have an open season for elk on private land that'd be kind of neat...

Yeah but Spikes??If you want to make a dent then take out all of the last years calves.Knocking off a few spikes ain`t going to do any good.And why in spring?Most of these elk don`t head to the hills,they were born and raised in the trench.We have a couple of resident herds here that never get more than ten miles from the golf courses.Big herds,several hundred animals I`ll bet.I see them all fall winter and spring.Ask Everett,he lives here.

Salty
11-22-2013, 03:24 PM
I hear ya sawmill but I'd agree with 325 this is got to be a political thing to appease farmers and ranchers. Then they need to keep the conservation thing in there a bit and pick on the spikes seems to be the way to kill some and have less impact so it seems.... as in spike fork moose where's there's not enough for a GOS. They say in their news release they want to 'haze the elk off of agricultural land' thinking some kind of opportunity to start blasting at them will maybe make the others move? But ya, standing back and looking at it its a stupid idea. But that's what you get when politics try to influence game management. If they really want to get rid of them open up a cow season. And yes, that would jeopardise elk numbers.

E.V.B.H.
11-22-2013, 03:50 PM
This was proposed by a region four biologist. All the proposals and who forwarded them are available online. I have talked to a land owner near grasmere in the last month, who owns around a thousand acres, and himself or the neighbours he talked to we're not approached and think it a bad idea as well. That's not to say none were asked but the official proposal was from the bio. Usually something ranchers want would be brought forward by the cattlemans association. Our club has officially voted against this as well. I haven't talked to anyone who thinks it is a good idea

Salty
11-22-2013, 04:05 PM
Wow, just wow. Can't see why any bio would come with such a thing. Sounds like they need to hear from the locals on this one before it gets too far. Will be watching this one....

GoatGuy
11-22-2013, 04:45 PM
This was proposed by a region four biologist. All the proposals and who forwarded them are available online. I have talked to a land owner near grasmere in the last month, who owns around a thousand acres, and himself or the neighbours he talked to we're not approached and think it a bad idea as well. That's not to say none were asked but the official proposal was from the bio. Usually something ranchers want would be brought forward by the cattlemans association. Our club has officially voted against this as well. I haven't talked to anyone who thinks it is a good idea

A Street named Faye if I had to guess............

E.V.B.H.
11-22-2013, 05:06 PM
A Street named Faye if I had to guess............

I don't understand?

bandit
11-22-2013, 05:09 PM
When do elk shed? Is there such a thing as a spiker in spring or are they all antlerless?

GoatGuy
11-22-2013, 05:10 PM
I don't understand?

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/kootenay/wld/pdf/April_RAWC2011.pdf

hunter1947
11-22-2013, 05:20 PM
When do elk shed? Is there such a thing as a spiker in spring or are they all antlerless?

Some spike bull elk will carry ther antlers on into the third year of there life I have found out when shed hunting that most spike elk will carry there antlers on into late May before casting them..

hunter1947
11-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Am I missing something here ??? what I would like to know is why target the spike elk in a region they are proposing in April why not in the GOS then they know that the spikes are low line crop eaters and not from the hi elevation elk that don't target the habitat in the late summer months ,,I have been informed that many spike elk won't make it through the winter so way target the remaining ones that are out there in April ??? like I said earlier how does the wildlife branch know that they are low line spike bull elk or from the hi lands ??..

E.V.B.H.
11-22-2013, 05:27 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/kootenay/wld/pdf/April_RAWC2011.pdf

Thanks, more like old McDonald had a farm.

rocksteady
11-22-2013, 05:55 PM
STUPID... Nuff said...

drakfero
11-25-2013, 07:39 PM
I dont get this , why they wount just move them to region 3 , 5 and 6..