PDA

View Full Version : Nature Conservancy of Canada

Jagermeister
11-21-2013, 02:05 PM
I see that the Nature Conservancy of Canada is sucking up land in the E. Kootenays like there is no tomorrow.
I am a couple today from the Fish and Wildlife with new regulations concerning NCC acquisitions.
http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/ahte/hunting/dutch-creek-findlay-flats-motor-vehicle-prohibition
http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/ahte/hunting/columbia-lake-motor-vehicle-prohibition.
I had a couple last week too along with a host of other unrelated that pertained to other areas.

skibum
11-21-2013, 02:21 PM
I don't see the problem with Nature Conservancy buying land. The Nature Conservancy land is open for hunting and fishing since it is funded by fishing and hunting licenses.

The Land could be bought by some other private interest and motorized restrictions would be the least of sportsmen's problems.

Mikey Rafiki
11-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Looks great to me! I worked on the Lot 48 deal when I was a provincial employee and I'm glad to see it has been finalized. That area in particular is a popular winter range and sensitive habitat so I'm all for the road closure. The previous owners would not have sold the land without those conditions.

Stay away from there in the Spring as I came out with 5 ticks on me after a 20 yard hike from the access road to the river.

GoatGuy
11-21-2013, 03:05 PM
It's all good news. Lot 48 IS HUGE!!!

I'm sure Bergenske will try to suck up the publicity on this, despite not being involved.

Carmen Purdy is definitely one of the unsung heroes in this one - there are a few others which will remain nameless.

Lionhill
11-21-2013, 03:56 PM
The Land Conservancy just file for creditor protection: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Creditor+protection+appalling+says+Land+Conservanc y+founder/9116619/story.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Mulgrew+Land+Conservancy+asset+sale+mired+legal+pr oceedings/9186376/story.html

Much like the Nature Conservancy. I don't have a lot of trust for these type of outfits.

LH

Jagermeister
11-21-2013, 04:16 PM
If it pleases you; it pleases me.:-D

skibum
11-21-2013, 04:21 PM
The Land Conservancy just file for creditor protection: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Creditor+protection+appalling+says+Land+Conservanc y+founder/9116619/story.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Mulgrew+Land+Conservancy+asset+sale+mired+legal+pr oceedings/9186376/story.html

Much like the Nature Conservancy. I don't have a lot of trust for these type of outfits.

LH

Two different organizations

limit time
11-21-2013, 04:28 PM
I don't understand why the BCWF doesn't do this kind of stuff?????

Jagermeister
11-21-2013, 04:31 PM
I don't understand why the BCWF doesn't do this kind of stuff?????They would but are not keen on milking old ladies.

Walking Buffalo
11-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Will the NCC allow hunting of predators on their properties?

E.V.B.H.
11-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Will the NCC allow hunting of predators on their properties?

Yes they do.

chilcotin hillbilly
11-21-2013, 08:44 PM
People that think the NCC is a good thing has been sucked into the BS that organization spills.
Non Hunting ,pro predator eco ***** boys and anyone who supports them. They have done nothing but buy up private ranches in my area, and shut down any access not only to hunt but to cross for any hunting or fishing.
They have fought for grizzlies to never be hunted here, Tatlayoko Lake area was to be a preserve for the bear.
You have never met more unintelligent people.

chilcotin hillbilly
11-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Yes they do.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

limit time
11-21-2013, 10:14 PM
They would but are not keen on milking old ladies.

So we lose out to the fakin hipsters!

skibum
11-22-2013, 10:35 AM
People that think the NCC is a good thing has been sucked into the BS that organization spills.
Non Hunting ,pro predator eco ***** boys and anyone who supports them. They have done nothing but buy up private ranches in my area, and shut down any access not only to hunt but to cross for any hunting or fishing.
They have fought for grizzlies to never be hunted here, Tatlayoko Lake area was to be a preserve for the bear.

I contacted the NCC about hunting their property and the the NCC was all for it. Are there organization with similar names that are getting mixed up?

I just rechecked my email and it was the NCC that I was in contact with. Maybe different policy in different areas of the province?

E.V.B.H.
11-22-2013, 12:16 PM
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Yes i do. There is lots of their land in the east Kootenays and it is all open for all hunting. Zero restrictions. Maybe you are thinking of some other organization.

E.V.B.H.
11-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Ok, so I shouldn't speak for the rest of the province, but that's how it is for the elk valley properties anyway.

chilcotin hillbilly
11-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Not here they aren't allowing any access at all. you can not cross their land even to retrieve dogs off a tree. No access for fishing either......period. They have not bought anything but old ranches, they are the biggest joke going.
I wish they allowed preditor hunting as that is what I do, they cannot stand the the amount of predators I take care off.
Nature Concervancy of Canada....NCC.....the biggest pain in mine and every other hunters A$$

GoatGuy
11-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Not here they aren't allowing any access at all. you can not cross their land even to retrieve dogs off a tree. No access for fishing either......period. They have not bought anything but old ranches, they are the biggest joke going.
I wish they allowed preditor hunting as that is what I do, they cannot stand the the amount of predators I take care off.
Nature Concervancy of Canada....NCC.....the biggest pain in mine and every other hunters A$$

Send the BC office an email bcoffice@natureconservancy.ca and post the reply.

There are ways of defining this issue.

markomoose
11-22-2013, 06:36 PM
I agree with chilcotin hillbilly!Take a trip to Tatlayoko valley in the Chilcotin.NCC bought up a pile of properties there. There are signs everywhere NO ACCESS -NO TRESSPASSING.They buy up this land and keep the public out.My best friend lives there and hunts there.I-ve been going there for years.

markomoose
11-22-2013, 06:53 PM
No one will ever fire a bullet on NCC properties.Trust me i-ve seen it with my own 2 eyes.Just take a trip to the Chilcotin! Every sign on those lands NO ACCESS-NO TRESSPASSING.No BS.

LBM
11-22-2013, 07:05 PM

So was everybody else allowed access to these private ranches before they were bought or just you

Brambles
11-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Are they the same ones that went halfers with the provincial govt to buy darkwoods?
if so then they don't allow hunting on all their lands because they still won't let anyone into Darkwoods even for predator control, and that place is crawling with wolves!!

Stone Sheep Steve
11-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Every property seems to have different policies depending on the previous owners.

That's crappy about the chilcotin but many areas in the E Koots would have otherwise been developed.

chilcotin hillbilly
11-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Are they the same ones that went halfers with the provincial govt to buy darkwoods?
if so then they don't allow hunting on all their lands because they still won't let anyone into Darkwoods even for predator control, and that place is crawling with wolves!!

Same outfit, a joke from top to bottom. And to think people get sucked into paying a monthly payment to those clowns.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-22-2013, 07:57 PM

What was the policy on hunting before the NCC took over?

boxhitch
11-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Every sign on those lands NO ACCESS-NO TRESSPASSING.No BS.Wonder if the signs are 'official' or just some neighbour helping drive his/her agenda ?

GoatGuy
11-22-2013, 08:10 PM

There was supposed to be a draw to hunt in part of the area but who knows what ever happened to that. Somebody in Creston was supposed to manage it, but I don't think anyone else in the province knows about it.

chilcotin hillbilly
11-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Wonder if the signs are 'official' or just some neighbour helping drive his/her agenda ?

No all the signs are custom NCC signs

skibum
11-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Send them an email. I now hunt some land that I thought the NCC would not allow access to hunters.

Although I beginning to think this thread is about tricking other hunters off of NCC land

chilcotin hillbilly
11-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Skibum, you may get to hunt somewhere on NCC land, but your last statement makes you sound like a real moron.

It will never happen in this country, each peice of land has a legal covenant on it that it will never allow hunting, fishing or tresspassing for either sport even if the Land is sold. The new owner would have to change his mind and then take it up with the courts ,which he would loose the case.

goatdancer
11-23-2013, 01:17 PM
What was the policy on hunting before the NCC took over?

I don't think Darkwoods ever allowed hunting on their land.

LBM
11-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Skibum, you may get to hunt somewhere on NCC land, but your last statement makes you sound like a real moron.

It will never happen in this country, each peice of land has a legal covenant on it that it will never allow hunting, fishing or tresspassing for either sport even if the Land is sold. The new owner would have to change his mind and then take it up with the courts ,which he would loose the case.
Guess I will ask again was everyone else allowed access to these lands for the purpose of hunting fishing hiking etc before they were sold or just you or a select few. Has anything really changed for the general public with the sale of these private lands or has it only changed for you.

chilcotin hillbilly
11-23-2013, 06:11 PM
The one ranch was always allowed to be hunted if permission was asked, the other down by the Lake was sold before I moved here. Access was atleast allowed to be crossed for game removal.

hunter1947
11-24-2013, 07:18 AM
I like it good news maybe there might be some road restrictions in the years to come?? for us die hard hunters that want to get back in away from the hunters...

wildcatter
07-17-2014, 08:58 PM
I like it good news maybe there might be some road restrictions in the years to come?? for us die hard hunters that want to get back in away from the hunters...

I know this is an old thread, but just came across a property for sale in the Kootenays that sounded too good.
And it is, as it's on the other side of Darkwoods now owned by the Land Conservancy of Canada.
Access by permission only from June to September and no motorized vehicles and you have to go through it to get to it.
Land Conservancy is part of the UN created Agenda 21 their aim is to have most public land off limit, especially for hunters, trappers, fisherman and off roaders.
These are radical environmentalists who will stop at nothing to keep people out, not good news hunter1947.

.300WSMImpact!
07-17-2014, 09:05 PM
I know this is an old thread, but just came across a property for sale in the Kootenays that sounded too good.
And it is, as it's on the other side of Darkwoods now owned by the Land Conservancy of Canada.
Access by permission only from June to September and no motorized vehicles and you have to go through it to get to it.
Land Conservancy is part of the UN created Agenda 21 their aim is to have most public land off limit, especially for hunters, trappers, fisherman and off roaders.
These are radical environmentalists who will stop at nothing to keep people out, not good news hunter1947.

my experience is the nature conservancy is all for hunting!

wildcatter
07-17-2014, 09:25 PM
my experience is the nature conservancy is all for hunting!

This is the Land Conservancy, don't confuse it with Nature Conservancy!

GoatGuy
07-18-2014, 12:46 AM

Darkwoods is owned by NCC and unfortunately NCC is anti-hunting.

6point
07-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Does anyone know if the Conservancy areas near invermere are huntable? im not sure who owns them.

Bubba123
07-18-2014, 03:18 PM
So much conflicting information about the NCC. I have gone over their website with a fine toothed comb, and can see no where that hunting on the land is allowed. I do see statements such as:

We recognize the need for people to sustain themselves and live productively while conserving our country's natural habitats and species.

GoatGuy
07-18-2014, 03:37 PM
Does anyone know if the Conservancy areas near invermere are huntable? im not sure who owns them.

yes, hoffert's is open to hunting. Different organization - the Nature Trust supports hunting and sustainable use.

Clint_S
07-18-2014, 04:35 PM
The Darkwoods property was strictly off limits unless you were a rich german.
At least now you can get permitted access up Porcupine so it's a marginal improvement.
Doubt if you would be allowed to hunt. Haven't tried as there are better areas.

6point
07-18-2014, 04:40 PM
yes, hoffert's is open to hunting. Different organization - the Nature Trust supports hunting and sustainable use.
Is that the "hoodoos" or the one along the Columbia lake? or are they the same group?

Mountain Hunter
07-19-2014, 01:14 AM
Is that the "hoodoos" or the one along the Columbia lake? or are they the same group?

Hoodoo-Hoferts is The Nature Trust - looks like they are shutting the place down as well: http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/ahte/hunting/hoodoo-conservation-property-motor-vehicle-prohibition

Columbia Lake Lot 48 is Nature Conservancy of Canada

6point
07-19-2014, 08:32 AM
the one im curious about is the one at marion creek...is it huntable?

wildcatter
07-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Darkwoods is owned by NCC and unfortunately NCC is anti-hunting.

I stand corrected, it is indeed owned by the NCC.
Below is a quote from the real estate listing regarding access to the property above Darkwoods:

In July of 2008, a German noble sold his 55,000 hectares of wilderness adjoining these particular properties called Darkwoods to the Nature Conservancy of Canada. This acquisition remains the single largest private land purchase for conservation in Canadian history.

Due to the Conservation project public access through the Darkwoods forest is limited. Public access is granted with a permit process from July through September. The forest service roads that lead through the Darkwoods project lead to the Wisconsin Mine site. From our due diligence access through the Darkwoods property needs to be investigated further. The roads leading to the mine site have not been maintained or are in the process of being deactivated.