PDA

View Full Version : Fly in lake list?

white moose
11-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Does anybody have one of these for outfits in northern bc? or do you pick a lake off a map and call to get price? Thanks

BlacktailStalker
11-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Most of the flight services have a list available and you can enquire about others not listed. Some won't fly you to certain lakes, you can guess why.

Sofa King
11-21-2013, 11:05 AM
oh, to own a heli or a floatplane.
the things one could do.

rcar
11-21-2013, 02:55 PM
oh, to own a heli or a floatplane.
the things one could do.

Could do lots with a floatplane but not much more than hiking and sight seeing with a heli.....probably for the best though.

MacMtnHunter
11-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Most pilots can land on any reasonable sized lake that you would want (ie -1km and longer). I would suggest contacting any air charter that you can track down and discuss with them their requirements such as plane type and payload and wha the pilot is comfortable with. There are a lot of lakes in some pretty good country in the north :) A lot of times it will depend on how far you can fly based on price. Northern Rockies lodge has a good list that I had at one point with the price to each lake in a couple different planes but I can't find it a the moment. Email their pilot Kris Koch at liardair@northern-rockies-lodge.com and I'm sure he would be happy to hook you up with some info.

Darksith
11-21-2013, 05:10 PM
ootsa air is another outfit to look into

white moose
11-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys. Just sent off a couple e mails. I want to take my dad who just turned 70. I own a jetboat and have been on some great trips, but never flown in. If anyone has some decent destination ideas, you could pm me. We were thinking moose and/or cariboo.

P.s. I can't believe the old man agreed to the idea. He is a little thrifty. lol.

Darksith
11-22-2013, 09:16 AM
moose/caribou...I might be tempted to look at atlin area :)

bighornbob
11-22-2013, 10:00 AM
My advice is find the pilots and see where they will fly into first. I did the opposite and picked a lake I assumed would be no problem to land on and worked backwards from there. Did a ton of planning and research etc and when I went to find a pilot, there were none close by as there was no base close by. In the end, the closest plane would cost close to $2500 for the trip. If you fly out of the regular spots, like Dease Lake, Muncho etc, you can get flight for about a third of that.

BHB

white moose
11-22-2013, 01:14 PM
I made contact with alpine and he sent me a list. Can I assume rates are for 1 leg. for example arctic lake cessna payload 850lbs cost $520. This is out of tatogga. So total would be $2080? or is it 520 in and 520 out? Should call back I guess.

GoatGuy
11-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Most pilots can land on any reasonable sized lake that you would want (ie -1km and longer). I would suggest contacting any air charter that you can track down and discuss with them their requirements such as plane type and payload and wha the pilot is comfortable with. There are a lot of lakes in some pretty good country in the north :) A lot of times it will depend on how far you can fly based on price. Northern Rockies lodge has a good list that I had at one point with the price to each lake in a couple different planes but I can't find it a the moment. Email their pilot Kris Koch at liardair@northern-rockies-lodge.com and I'm sure he would be happy to hook you up with some info.

If you're calling Liard Air the best thing you can do is ask them where they won't fly you into..........

Tuffcity
11-22-2013, 04:26 PM
arctic lake cessna payload 850lbs cost $520. This is out of tatogga. So total would be $2080? or is it 520 in and 520 out?

Looks like you're about 45 miles out so I would think that price gets you in, the same to get you out so $1040 total. Cessna is about $5.5/mile- $600/hr, I think (for most companies ;) )

RC

Trekker
11-22-2013, 05:08 PM
you have to pay the plane for his return trip as well. so a drop off and a pick up is 4 trips for the pilot. 45 mile trip one way, you will pay for 180 miles.

im sure bcyukon will fly you just about anywhere as long as its safe.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-22-2013, 09:02 PM
I made contact with alpine and he sent me a list. Can I assume rates are for 1 leg. for example arctic lake cessna payload 850lbs cost $520. This is out of tatogga. So total would be $2080? or is it 520 in and 520 out? Should call back I guess.

If you have a partner it would run you $520 each. Arctic isn't a long flight.
They have a pimped out 206 which is pretty cheap to fly.