PDA

View Full Version : Laser scope

adriaticum
11-20-2013, 10:57 PM
I have a scope that has a red laser and a mil-dot reticle.
Other than pissing off my dogs I haven't figured out what the point of laser is.
I can't see it during the day at all and I can't hunt at night so why would they implement such a feature?
What can this be used for?
Low light shooting conditions (dawn and dusk)?
Thanks!

caddisguy
11-21-2013, 03:43 PM
I have a scope that has a red laser and a mil-dot reticle.
Other than pissing off my dogs I haven't figured out what the point of laser is.
I can't see it during the day at all and I can't hunt at night so why would they implement such a feature?
What can this be used for?
Low light shooting conditions (dawn and dusk)?
Thanks!

I would guess it is the low light shooting conditions... I'm interested to hear the answer.

I've never really heard of anyone using lasers for hunting. Probably not even legal in BC if it counts as a light. They are more of a fun / curiosity thing. I had one on my Dominion Grizzly Compact, but after a few shots it was toast and would turn off and on from any sort of shock or vibration. Something probably came loose from the recoil, but I never got around to taking it apart and fixing it.

Hope that thing never reflects back at you through the scope ;-P

Ozone
11-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Many of places allow night hunting.

caddisguy
11-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Many of places allow night hunting.

Gotta keep the raccoon pelts flowing ;-P

adriaticum
11-21-2013, 09:27 PM
It's a catch 22. You can't sight it in at night because you can't see the target.
And you can't sight in during the day because you can't see the laser. :-D

KtownBobby
11-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Its for blinding the damn squirrels and chipmunks that give ya away. Lil *******s!

Muy Grande
11-28-2013, 10:44 PM
can you provide more info on the scope? Make/model? It may just have a "illuminated recticle/dot" and not actually a "laser sight"...

Weatherby Fan
11-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Generally illuminated reticles are just easier to see in low light conditions when the crosshairs may be faint, I was just checking out a buddies Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x44 with the illuminated reticle pretty cool option.

adriaticum
11-29-2013, 09:36 AM
can you provide more info on the scope? Make/model? It may just have a "illuminated recticle/dot" and not actually a "laser sight"...

It's a VISM scope, mil-dot and yes laser, not illuminated reticle. Those are two different things.
This shoots a red laser and you can see it well for 3-400 yards, it's clear.
I have played with it recently and actually in low light conditions early morning and even in thick bush it is kind of useful.
But mine is not sighted in. You can really shoot from the hip with this thing. Just put it on the animal and pull the trigger. Don't even have to look through the scope.

Muy Grande
12-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Ok, noted:). First I've heard of this VISM laser scope. I have only seen illuminated reticles, so, I figured that was probably what you had. Thanks for the clarification tho:). That scope does sound interesting...