PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail Rut

JIL_24/7
11-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Hello Everyone,
I did a search, but didn't really find an answer to this specific question. What is considered prime time for the whitetail rut? I am thinking of trying to go out December 8, 9, 10. I am trying to decide if I should go to region 3 for whitetail or stick in region 2 for Blacktail. I am hoping to get some advice/instruction regarding the best bet for that time of year, and if the whitetail rut is still on I think that would be my choice as I know the area. Oh, and the reason I am going is because I am taking someone out who has never gone before, first time hunter! And I want to be able to at least see some animals and give him a good first experience. Thanks everyone in advance!

.300WSMImpact!
11-20-2013, 05:57 PM
dec 8 to 10th is late for whitetail rut, right now this week is probably best for whitetail rut,

doubled
11-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Why not scout an area and once you find a good spot, THEN take that new hunter out.

JIL_24/7
11-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Why not scout an area and once you find a good spot, THEN take that new hunter out.

If you read my post. I do have a spot that I have scouted in Region 3, but I wanted to know if December 8-10 was too late for the rut. Thanks for the response .300WSM. I was afraid it'd be a bit too late. I might have to go back to the drawing board. I haven't done much hunting in Region 2, but someone who wants to go out is someone I'd like to take out if this is the last chance. I'm sure we could still find some fun even if we don't find any deer! Being outside is about as good as it gets!

pronghorn
11-20-2013, 06:50 PM
there going strong in regina 4 as we speak, so I don't think 3 would be any different

palmer
11-20-2013, 07:06 PM
They are going crazy now...saw 5 bucks today and we took two...now is the time. I was told once Nov21..is the peak

.300WSMImpact!
11-20-2013, 07:12 PM
If you read my post. I do have a spot that I have scouted in Region 3, but I wanted to know if December 8-10 was too late for the rut. Thanks for the response .300WSM. I was afraid it'd be a bit too late. I might have to go back to the drawing board. I haven't done much hunting in Region 2, but someone who wants to go out is someone I'd like to take out if this is the last chance. I'm sure we could still find some fun even if we don't find any deer! Being outside is about as good as it gets!

dec 10th ish is great spot and stalk time, plus bucks are still interested in a possible hot doe, its never too late

Blainer
11-20-2013, 07:42 PM
late Nov,approx 15th +
Early Dec is post rut, still a strong possibility of harvesting a good buck
Also a good time for Blacktail, they are hot right now like whitetail

M.Dean
11-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Who knows, I've taken Bucks the last week of the season before, I've always said, it's real hard to kill a Buck when your sitting on the couch, your odds increase ten fold when your out hunting the Bucks! And, even if the rut activity is coming to a close that week, there's still a good chance of seeing a decent sized Buck still wandering around! Good Luck!

Sofa King
11-20-2013, 10:25 PM
rut, schmut.
most my deer have been taken during the rut and I've only gotten one that was on a doe being stupid.
they are still out there, whether on the does or not.

sawmill
11-21-2013, 09:18 AM
I watched 18 does last evening,nary a buck to be seen.

Montana
11-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Generally speaking, the rut runs from November 15 to the 25th... You'll see some rut activity before and after those dates, but it will usually be sporadic.....much depends on the weather. I've observed during unusually warm Novembers the rut is more spread out over a longer time period.. It would be rare to see a buck chasing does between December 8 and 10. There is supposedly a secondary rut when does that were not bred the first time they cycled are bred that takes place 28 days after the breeding period in November, which would put it starting approximately December 13 but I've never seen any activity to verify that theory. Keep in mind that there is always the odd doe that has a different cycle and might be bred in January or even February and some older does are said to cycle in October.

With all of that said, if I were hunting December 8-10 I'd be hunting food sources and not be thinking about the rut.

knighthunter
11-21-2013, 09:56 AM
There will still be bucks running around in that time frame looking for doe's that weren't bred the first time around.

Sofa King
11-21-2013, 10:10 AM
There will still be bucks running around in that time frame looking for doe's that weren't bred the first time around.

as well as the bucks will still be there regardless.
hell, some guys can't even find the does to begin with.

JIL_24/7
11-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Truth is I haven't shot any of my deer in the rut, but I did experience it for the first time with mule deer this year when I was out with a friend trying to fill his tag (filled mine in October). I know how to find deer, but I wanted to see if I could experience the rut a bit still. Also, I just realized there is an archery season in Region 8 from November 25-December 10. Has anyone tried that? I know some areas around Princeton. Wondering if that might be worth a try. Thanks.