PDA

View Full Version : Late Season Muley Help

rookie1993
11-19-2013, 09:19 PM
I have been on the site for about a month now and have gained so much valuable knowledge. Ill start by thanking everyone for the time and effort they put into writing their stories and posting pictures as well as everyone who comes on just to offer some advice or suggestions for us newbies. You guys are awesome!

A little about my situation:

I was hunting in region 3 about a week and a half ago in an area that not many people had been in. I found a HUGE rub line and spent many days hunting it and the surrounding areas. There were a lot of tracks as well as fresh crap/fresh rubs all over that seemed to turn up but i went three days without even seeing a doe. I did find lots of fresh piles of crap that was clumped together and from my understanding that is from a doe in estrus? At this time there was no snow. I am going back to the area in just over a week (27th) and will be spending a few days nearby. There is likely lots of snow now.

Now for my question:

Would it be suggested that I pick a nice vantage point along the rub line and take a seat and wait and hope that the buck come strolling along or will it be too late in the rut? As I am quite new to this Im not too sure what the behavior is like once the rut is ending/over.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sofa King
11-19-2013, 09:38 PM
personally, I never really sit and wait for muley.
but, if you have a route established, that's never a bad idea.
a lot could have changed in their movements though since you were last there.
I'd go in and do as big a walk through the area as you can.
now that there's snow, you'll know exactly what's going on in the area.

Steelpulse
11-19-2013, 09:44 PM
what mu in region 3?

sitting long enough in an area with lots of sign eventually pays off so that would work maybe not right away but eventually a deer will walk by, not my favourite way to do it but for sure works, with snow now you should get out to an area before legal light and find some fresh tracks even just start walking into the bush until you find the tracks and when its light enough and start following, go, the only way I like to hunt deer is this way, tracking, ive had lots of tracks this year some successful some not lots can go wrong on the track but if you follow them enough and learn how to read them, again eventually you will come across a deer, following deer tracks also gives you an idea of where deer move, how they do it when they do it and you see everything along the way they traveled, it can be quite fun, good luck