PDA

View Full Version : always carry compas

nuadixion
11-19-2013, 12:22 PM
We land on the island...anchor down and use dingy to get to shore. Buddy goes left, I go up hill....radios on. It is starting to rain hard...good.
As day goes to an end I come upon nice doe....8 yards away..after couple of missfires I finally get her....(everything is soaking wet). 2 mins later I hear shot from the direction where my friend went....great ....two for two him on the radio - nothing....most likely wet. I get down to the boat - he is not there. Wait an hour ...two....getting cold...very cold. Now getting dark...he is not here....F!$@#. Heavy fog rolling in....visibility - close to nothing....Rain still pissing and temperature dropping. F!^#%#$! I cant go looking for him....fire a shot....no response. I get on the boat, fire up bbq to warm up and dry up. Make my bed but cant sleep...every little sound makes me think it is him walking down the shore. Mid through the night it stops raining and moon comes up....it is nice and bright. I fire up the engine and go put the spot light on the shore while cruising along the shore....calling his name....whistling loud.....No response. I go back to the original spot....and try to get some more sleep.
Morning comes....frost on the ground....no sign of him. I fire a shot...nothing. F!@#$$!. I get Very Dark thoughts now. Gear up go looking for him.....hike i the direction he went and last shot I heard......Around 10 am finally radio call....it is him !!!!
Turns out he was chasing an animal, not paying attention to direction he was going, got caught in the fog and dark....total disorientation.
He found old logging road, went down and found some dwellings. Doors were open...... He ended up on opposite side of the island. The shot I heard wasnt his...he never got anything....but thank god he is alive.

hare_assassin
11-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Terrible, but could have been a lot worse. Glad it wasn't.

takla1
11-19-2013, 12:48 PM
I hear ya on that one.Unless you've spent a night in the bush you really don't know the emotions a person goes thru juring the experience.Once you've acknowledged that your lost and will be spending the night outdoors best to seek shelter and gather dry wood asap ,enough to get you thru the night.My dad once got lost one evening 100 mile east of 150 mile house and spent the night out till morning.lite 2 fires and slept between them....said he actually slept well that night.

ianm
11-19-2013, 01:10 PM
I never step foot off a FSR without it, no matter how much ball-busting from buddies there is. It doesn't take much to get slightly disoriented and turned around (has happened to me once when I was a kid) and even an relatively experienced woodsman can get lost easier than you think. Compass, magnesium, emergency blanket and rope are bare minimums for me...I'll throw a tarp and extra water, socks, knives and knife sharpener in alice if I'm going out of eyesight from the road/trail I hiked in on too. Glad everything turned out well!

tribal
11-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Glad to hear everything ended up okay. Too bad it happened, but serves as a good reminder for the rest of us!

MRP
11-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Yup nothing like a good compass. ???
1. Know how to use it.
2. Look at it before you leave the road, beach, trail head.
3. A compass placed near metal or electrical equipment can reverse polarity of the needle. I've had it happen.
4. Boy scout 101 A good backup is a watch, if you only roughly know where the sun is you can find south close enough to get out of most places.

ianm
11-19-2013, 03:07 PM
MRP - doesn't sun position change with the season? How would that impact using it as a benchmark for finding east, west or south?

nuadixion
11-19-2013, 03:15 PM
It was The Longest Night for both of us. The funny thing is we both carry back packs with the essentials(fire starter,compass etc); that day they were left behind before we got on the boat....it could have been fatal mistake....

Big Lew
11-19-2013, 03:22 PM
You often hear about how traumatic it is, and the anxieties of getting lost, but it can be an equally worrisome and emotional experience for the people waiting at a rendezvous spot or camp. It is so tempting to go rushing about looking for an overdue partner, but not wise. You must remain at the agreed upon spot for several hours in case the late individual shows up. I've had several friends and relatives get turned around or completely lost over the years and on each occasion it was a terrible, anxious, and helpless feeling wondering if the individual lay hurt somewhere, or was rushing about trying to find the way back only to get further away and lost. That's the main reason I won't take anyone into the wilderness anymore unless they agree to remain with together.

Gun Dog
11-19-2013, 03:38 PM
A GPS (and spare batteries) for me. It's very easy to NOT go in the direction you intend. Some people have poor radio habits. A friend keeps his off until he has something to say. Not very useful. I keep mine on all the time because you never know when someone has a question or comment.

I also have a compass just in case.

wicket
11-19-2013, 04:03 PM
ive told this story many times, exhausted, dehydrated, mad me not believe the compass or the gps. I was lost and had a single moment of clarity where I made a fire and a tarp lean to stayed the night and walked out in the morning. I was so effed it wasn't even funny when I woke up I was totally going the wrong way. Im not too proud to say I was lost and learned an incredible amount from it.

very glad to hear it your buddy made it and you did too thru what must have been a very very long night.

MRP
11-19-2013, 04:05 PM
If your not going to the moon it will be good. Try it
http://m.wikihow.com/Use-an-Analog-Watch-as-a-Compass

quaint bucket
11-19-2013, 04:18 PM
It's really easy to get lost. That's why I pack my compass, my whistle, my watch, and my orange flagging tape.

Now, if only I can find a mulie.

E.B.
11-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Been lost in the bush a few times, just phone my ex and she tells me where to go.

RustyRipper
11-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Definitely a scary situation. Worry, fear and anxiety are our worst enemies in the woods. But I'm glad you both overcame them and made it out. Good lesson I suppose.

If you don't mind my asking which island was this or was it in a lake somewhere.

HarryToolips
11-19-2013, 06:46 PM
MRP - doesn't sun position change with the season? How would that impact using it as a benchmark for finding east, west or south?
When ya have a watch, point the hour hand at the sun (if it's digital imagine where the hour hand would be), halfway between the hour hand and 12 o clock gives ya your north/south line, you know which way is south because the sun will follow the southern horizon here in the Northern hemisphere..when it's daylight savings time (ex. durin late spring, summer and early fall), your north/south line will be halfway between the hour hand and 1 o clock..and yes, learn how to use a compass, use a land mark if you can, but if the bush is thick the going is slow but you will have to take landmarks using distinguishable trees for example quite regularly..be wary of weird magnetic pockets, although these I don't come across very often..if the sun is out you can use a compass and take a bearing, and use the sun as your landmark, taking note of where it is when you are heading in that direction..example, when traveling in a certain direction it's on your left shoulder, so to come back the sun should be on your right shoulder. And remember the sun will change continuously west throughout the day..using this method I go through thick forest when the sun is out at a high speed.. also pay attention to ridgelines, and no, moss is not always on the north side of trees etc!!

Big Buck Killer
11-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Been lost in the bush a few times, just phone my ex and she tells me where to go.

That's sooooooo funny!!!!

Avalanche123
11-19-2013, 07:14 PM
After working many years in the forest industry, I just can't go hunting without my compass. If I don't know the area, I always get a map. I only use a GPS for finding current location "if I need to", otherwise I have my dependable map and compass. Glad to hear it worked out for you!

Big Lew
11-19-2013, 07:46 PM
After working many years in the forest industry, I just can't go hunting without my compass. If I don't know the area, I always get a map. I only use a GPS for finding current location "if I need to", otherwise I have my dependable map and compass. Glad to hear it worked out for you!

Totally agree...I always carry a compass, and a good detailed map if I'm going into an area without obvious features. I also know how to make a rudimentary compass out of a small thin piece of iron metal if I were to lose my compass etc. I have experienced a 'small weird magnetic pocket' that had me going in a circle, but that phenomenon is quite rare. Relying on using small landmarks such as unusual looking trees is risky....You'd be quite surprised at just how many of those 'unusual looking trees' there are in a forest.

nuadixion
11-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Definitely a scary situation. Worry, fear and anxiety are our worst enemies in the woods. But I'm glad you both overcame them and made it out. Good lesson I suppose.

If you don't mind my asking which island was this or was it in a lake somewhere.

It was on gambier island.....not that big, but it was the quick thick fog, heavy rain that made the visibility close to nil.....he got disoriented and wandered off to the other side of island....thats why the radios did not work- he was far on the opposite side of the mountain.

brian
11-19-2013, 09:18 PM
I never step foot off a FSR without it, no matter how much ball-busting from buddies there is.

Your buddies would ball bust you for bringing a compass??? Man I'd ball bust you for not bringing one. Seriously what kind of douche thinks its cool to razz someone for taking a life saving piece of kit into the bush?

I get lost easily, so a compass is mandatory. The sun can always give you direction, if you can see it... but the compass is there rain or shine.

Sofa King
11-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Totally agree...I always carry a compass, and a good detailed map if I'm going into an area without obvious features. I also know how to make a rudimentary compass out of a small thin piece of iron metal if I were to lose my compass etc. I have experienced a 'small weird magnetic pocket' that had me going in a circle, but that phenomenon is quite rare. Relying on using small landmarks such as unusual looking trees is risky....You'd be quite surprised at just how many of those 'unusual looking trees' there are in a forest.

old school.
it's 2014 in a month and days.
we have gps watches now.
I still usually have a compass tucked in a small pocket on the pack, but it never comes out.
technology is your friend.
my gps kicks the shit outta any compass.
a compass would be useless to most people, what good is one if they don't know how to use it.

why use a compass when you can use a gps?
it makes an invaluable back-up and should be carried as well, but it doesn't mark your downed buck very well, or where your truck is parked.
some people just have zero sense of bearings, and could get lost if they blinked too long.
others can read the land without thinking and always have a rough idea of where they are.

RustyRipper
11-19-2013, 10:39 PM
It was on gambier island.....not that big, but it was the quick thick fog, heavy rain that made the visibility close to nil.....he got disoriented and wandered off to the other side of island....thats why the radios did not work- he was far on the opposite side of the mountain.
Gambier is big enough. Wouldn't be hard to get lost there. Nice thing about islands or coast is as long as you can get to the shore and determine direction you're golden. Or you can just walk the circumference of the island and eventually find your boat.

Big Lew
11-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Yes, I admit to being 'old school', and I used to have a gps, (someone wanted it more than me so stole it) but never was comfortable using or relying on it. As an 'old schooler' I subscribe to 'if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it'. I am very comfortable in using a compass, including with a map, and I also believe in keeping critical things as simple and foolproof as possible. I'm about to turn 68 soon, and have explored and traveled extensively in the backcountry for 58 years without getting badly lost (I have been temporarily confused and turned around a few times but was always able to work it out). I took survival training when I was a youth, well before gps, satellite phones, and the 'Spot' were available, so prefer to rely on what has always worked for me. I do acknowledge the benefits of units like the 'Spot' however.

landphil
11-19-2013, 11:26 PM
Was out chasing mulies with a buddy on Saturday, hiking through the trees above a steep block. We split up for a bit, then as I was making my way back out, I cut his fresh tracks going down the wrong side of the ridge through nasty blowdown and deep snow - was tough going. Tried to raise him in the GMRS radio, only to find I had forgotton mine on since the weekend before, and the batteries were dead. Tried to catch up for a while, then realized I could take my camera batteries for the radio, and got ahold of him and told him to wait up. I caught up to him, and we spent the next hour or so getting back out to where we came from, though truly knarly steep terrain with knee deep snow, heavy winds, fog and blowing snow, then throw in the few trees that blew down nearby. I had a pretty good handle on my bearings until I caught up with him, then I / we got so disoriented that it was time to rely on the compass, which would have been much more usefull if I had taken a bearing before leaving the truck. Thankfully we were able to spot some distant landmarks though breaks in the fog to help, but lesson learned. I've never been that "turned around" in the bush before, and I have to say, it happened way too easily and quickly.

markt308
11-19-2013, 11:46 PM
Just read your story. Wow. Must have been seriously unnerving waiting and waiting. We have had some scared with guys coming ack late but so far never anything this bad. Glad he was alright. Like everyone has said it sure could have been a lot worse

Sofa King
11-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Yes, I admit to being 'old school', and I used to have a gps, (someone wanted it more than me so stole it) but never was comfortable using or relying on it. As an 'old schooler' I subscribe to 'if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it'. I am very comfortable in using a compass, including with a map, and I also believe in keeping critical things as simple and foolproof as possible. I'm about to turn 68 soon, and have explored and traveled extensively in the backcountry for 58 years without getting badly lost (I have been temporarily confused and turned around a few times but was always able to work it out). I took survival training when I was a youth, well before gps, satellite phones, and the 'Spot' were available, so prefer to rely on what has always worked for me. I do acknowledge the benefits of units like the 'Spot' however.

that's how dad was too.
he wouldn't leave the truck without the compass.
he adapted to the gps, but he knew he was golden with the compass along.

jaeger
11-20-2013, 12:03 AM
old school.
we have gps watches now.
I still usually have a compass tucked in a small pocket on the pack, but it never comes out.
a compass would be useless to most people, what good is one if they don't know how to use it.

it makes an invaluable back-up and should be carried as well, but it doesn't mark your downed buck very well, or where your truck is parked.
some people just have zero sense of bearings, and could get lost if they blinked too long.
others can read the land without thinking and always have a rough idea of where they are.

You must be kidding Dually!
what if your batteries die! Your compass is not going to help you much if you dont know where you are.
Technologie is a good thing but dont leave home without a map and compass of the area and know how to use it.

Walksalot
11-20-2013, 07:38 AM
old school.
we have gps watches now.

Both my buddy and myself have had a GPS go south on us. Most of the time I am using my compass.

frenchbar
11-20-2013, 07:46 AM
compass ..in the pack ..small ..light ...reliable...no brainer .

dog812
11-20-2013, 08:01 AM
I have been using a Rino gps / radio for a few years. But i always carry 2 compasses for back up. One is built into a whistle and the other is tiny on my first aid kit zipper.
The rino has its pros and cons, its great to be able to communicate and see where other buddies are on your screen. But the detail and price is terrible.
Even with the rino, i sometimes dont believe what its telling me and need to use a compass just to validate which way is north..

MRP
11-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Nope. Daylight saving time will.
Was thinking the watch method is probably more accurate for most. I bet 95% of people and 75% of hunters don't know the declination for the lat&long there hunting at. Or even that there is a difference between true north and the needle thing-iy on the pocket do-hickey!

MRP
11-20-2013, 08:29 AM
http://geomag.nrcan.gc.ca/calc/mdcal-eng.php
Check your lat/long declination here.

Big Lew
11-20-2013, 08:42 AM
:tongue:"the needle thing-y"...girly comment
:wink:"the pocket do-hickey"...manly comment

Part of survival training was using a watch. My brother and I would practice using a compass, and some days only using a watch by picking a destination on a map and then try to arrive there. You would be surprised at how accurate you can become with practice.

MRP
11-20-2013, 09:17 AM
:tongue:"the needle thing-y"...girly comment
:wink:"the pocket do-hickey"...manly comment
Yup. Just trying to being equal -- girly's hunt too. 😎

brian
11-20-2013, 12:02 PM

Yeah my GPS kicks my compasses ass too, until it doesn't get a signal.

MRP - doesn't sun position change with the season?
Yes the sun changes position with the seasons. It will track more south the later it is in the season. If you look directly into the sun at exactly midday then you will be looking due south (in the northern hemisphere). During the spring and fall equinox it will rise and set exactly east and west. Then until summer solstice the sun will rise and set more northeast and northwest, but track to the south by midday. By the winter solstice the sun is rising and setting more southeast to southwest. I have no idea how this all affects the watch trick.

Was thinking the watch method is probably more accurate for most. I bet 95% of people and 75% of hunters don't know the declination for the lat&long there hunting at. Or even that there is a difference between true north and the needle thing-iy on the pocket do-hickey!

You only need to know inclination or declination if you using a compass and map together to navigate. If you're only using your compass for general direction finding then you don't need to know true north vs magnetic north. Which is probably what 90% of hunters use their compass for.

MRP
11-20-2013, 03:38 PM
If you can find paper maps. At Prince George going by magnetic north 1 km will put you over 300 meters off corse. To me that's starting to look a lot like lost.

Thread stealer I am. I'll shut up now😶

mikeman20
11-20-2013, 04:55 PM
I have a little compass pinned to the sleeve of my hunting jacket, all I do is home my arm up like I'm liking at my watch and there it is. No need to keep it level because it's a ball shaped one

burger
11-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Both my buddy and myself have had a GPS go south on us. Most of the time I am using my compass.

Same here. First time out actually with it. Left compass thinking I don't need that anymore. Was tracking a buck for a while and after bagging him thought no biggie my GPS will do the job...Nope thing decides to not find a satellite in the middle of a huge clearing. Damn techno gizmo!!!! Knew if I hiked north I would find a road that went across the area I was in. It was around noon so I put my back to the sun and away I hiked. Made it too the road about 2km from truck.

Never again without compass!!! GPS or not!!

brian
11-20-2013, 05:56 PM
If you can find paper maps. At Prince George going by magnetic north 1 km will put you over 300 meters off corse. To me that's starting to look a lot like lost.

Yeah if you're going off a map. If you are going off compass bearing in, compass bearing out then you won't have problem.

nuadixion
11-20-2013, 08:40 PM
After all the events came to a happy ending, I question the actions I took.....
Was it right to stay and wait? I did not have my cell phone with me.....How long do you wait before notifying authorities? The conditions were quite horrible. I know he was Very wet...and cold....low chances of making fire....What if he got hurt?
What are the procedures?

Big Lew
11-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Was it right to stay and wait? I did not have my cell phone with me.....How long do you wait before notifying authorities? The conditions were quite horrible. I know he was Very wet...and cold....low chances of making fire....What if he got hurt?
What are the procedures?
In my opinion, yes it is right to stay and wait where your partner would be expecting you. You don't want to have both of you desperately scrambling through the bush in those conditions at night looking for each other with the real possibility of constantly missing each other or getting injured. I also think you did pretty much everything right during the whole ordeal and congratulate you for not panicking under such emotional circumstances.

vanillagator
11-20-2013, 11:03 PM
When I was younger than a "teen", My old man, used to take me up hiking, knee deep snow, minus 7... about half way in the wild, he'd toss me his watch, bark for me to 'sit tight" until a half hour is killed then he had me find my way back to the truck where he would be slowly sipping his coffee. In snow, wasn't too bad just following my tracks but without it, let me just say, I got pretty decent sense of direction because of it. lol. Even, I never leave my truck without a bearing and every fifteen minutes or so, I just look back where I came and roughly judge where my truck is. That helps. Just take your time to review things not to be blinded by heading straight. Game doesn't head straight look at there tracks, two stepping like Dean Martin on a Saturday night. When I decide to make a turn off compass path, I strip a tree with some orange tape and check my bearings. Just makes sense.

nuadixion
11-20-2013, 11:49 PM
In my opinion, yes it is right to stay and wait where your partner would be expecting you. You don't want to have both of you desperately scrambling through the bush in those conditions at night looking for each other with the real possibility of constantly missing each other or getting injured. I also think you did pretty much everything right during the whole ordeal and congratulate you for not panicking under such emotional circumstances.
But waiting for too long could turn into "waist of time" ....if he was hurt, unable to move etc......finding him in time could save his life.
I gave myself till 10 am before going to get help......luckily he showed up by then.

happyhunter
11-21-2013, 12:10 AM
What are the procedures?

You will drive yourself crazy going through every 'what if?' situation. Your both OK and that's most important.

Big Lew
11-21-2013, 08:36 AM
But waiting for too long could turn into "waist of time" ....if he was hurt, unable to move etc......finding him in time could save his life.
I gave myself till 10 am before going to get help......luckily he showed up by then.
Again, I think you did the right thing by giving yourself until 10 am, but it's extremely hard to do that as you know. I've been in that situation more than once, and all the time you're waiting, you're second guessing your decision and worrying that the person might be injured.

nuadixion
11-21-2013, 12:01 PM
.....I guess "Gut Feeling"/ Instinct got a lot to do with the decision making process to.....