PDA

View Full Version : Leica warranty

Hadda
11-18-2013, 06:16 PM
My leica rangefinder recently stopped working. Turns on, I see the red reticle, but wont range. I tried replacing the battery, cleaning the lenses, still no go.
Just got an email back from Leica saying that they could not warranty it because its past the 2 year warranty. They want me to send it the their facility in the states and then she said they would offer me an upgrade to the crf 1000 or 1600.
Im not really happy with this. I thought I buying a quality product would avoid this kind of thing. It just stopped working after being in the closet for awhile, no impact, no damage to the outside.
Anyone have a similar experience? Ive read mixed things regarding Leica's warranty.

Gateholio
11-18-2013, 07:23 PM
I've had good results from Leica warranty but never tried to send back a 2 yr old rangefinder. I think it's a bit shitty but what I would do is ignore the person you talked to and just mail it in with a letter explaining your issue. They might just send you a new LRF

300rum700
11-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Send it in, worst case is you pay a little for a new rangefinder.

Krico
11-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Sounds like they made a reasonable offer to me. The warranty had expired (you should have been aware of warranty when purchasing) and they offered a discount on a replacement.
I'd send it in, as it's worthless collecting dust in your closet. Who knows, maybe they can fix it for cheap.

Sofa King
11-18-2013, 10:01 PM
sounds about right.
warranty was up.
what were they supposed to do?

Grizzmaklin
11-27-2013, 10:17 PM
I had the exact same problem. Sent an email explaining the situation and sent it in and they sent me a new rangefinder in 2 weeks. AWESOME customer service!

Everett
11-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Please report back on the response you get I am in the market for another range finder and really want to see how they back up there product. A 2 year warranty on an item costing that sort of money seems like BS to me if I a guy want disposable just buy bushnell for a fraction of the cost.

300rum700
11-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Please report back on the response you get I am in the market for another range finder and really want to see how they back up there product. A 2 year warranty on an item costing that sort of money seems like BS to me if I a guy want disposable just buy bushnell for a fraction of the cost.

Leica will never not repair or replace their product, you may have to pay a small fee after the warranty but really it is an electronic device just like any other, how much warranty is on your computer or GPS?

blackwater moose
11-28-2013, 11:51 AM
my leupold range finder went at 5 years old, they replaced it no questions asked, same as my leuplod 3x9 scope 15 years old, they replaced no questions asked. bushnel has the same no questions asked return policy

BlacktailStalker
11-29-2013, 06:11 PM
my leupold range finder went at 5 years old, they replaced it no questions asked, same as my leuplod 3x9 scope 15 years old, they replaced no questions asked. bushnel has the same no questions asked return policy

Bushnell told me to pound sand on a warranty claim.
Leupold has the best service for sure.
Leica rangefinders are hit and miss as it is, many 'inferior' units will range in fog/mist better than my CRF1200. You're paying for the name and glass in a leica rangefinder, not the quality of the 'guts' and the guts are what matters most.

BigSlapper
11-29-2013, 09:49 PM
I've had good results from Leica warranty but never tried to send back a 2 yr old rangefinder. I think it's a bit shitty but what I would do is ignore the person you talked to and just mail it in with a letter explaining your issue. They might just send you a new LRF

This is exactly what I did ..... 3 weeks later I received a brand new 1600. Cemented my relationship with Leica for sure.

Hadda
01-13-2015, 06:05 PM
Dead thread Update for people searching for leica warranty stories: They ended up sending me a new rangefinder! Definitely good customer service. However it was stolen soon thereafter out of my truck. :icon_frow