PDA

View Full Version : winter driving

davet
11-18-2013, 06:10 PM
So i live in the lower mainland and im thinking of one last trip to region 3. I got a 4x4 dodge truck with all season tires. I have not driven the coq or the canyon in winter in a long while. Will the drive be ok or should i get snow tires or chains?

Stéphane
11-18-2013, 06:13 PM
I always said, it snows once, and it is worth it buying snow tires. So, you know what I think. If, and I say IF, you can get rims as well, then it doesn't cost you too much to change them twice a year.

luckofthedraw
All seasons are ok, winters would be better if you have the cash. Either way, put weight in back.

boxhitch
Winter conditions on high mountain highways .......hhmmm ??
Go for it , give it a spin , you won't be the only one.

davet
11-18-2013, 06:17 PM
ya im not sure if spending $1000 + on tires is worth a deer or 2

rocksteady
11-18-2013, 06:23 PM
I have NEVER bought nor used winter tires in my 35 year driving career....

Buy good aggressive all season radials (M+S), throw 300 lbs over the rear wheels, drive responsibly and defensibly, use 4X4 when things are ugly and you will be fine...

Lemme put it this way... DO semi trucks put winter tires on their trucks...??? Nope... Maybe off highway logging trucks but not your run of the mill highway hauler...

luckofthedraw
11-18-2013, 06:26 PM
I've done the Coq multiple times this winter all ready and have couple more trips planned. F350 in 4high, all seasons and close to 400lbs of weight in the back. No issues yet, but slow and steady will win that race when it's nasty. And it was a couple days ago!

RINO
11-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Check out what ICBC says about all season tires in snowy conditions...

Everett
11-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Legally you require snow tires our chains if your outside of town on most highways in BC. No requirement to use chains just to have them that's your cheapest option.

Mathil
11-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Chains may be necessary to access logging roads that go unplowed. My vehicle is an AWD Chevy Astro, and I use chains on snowy logging roads, most recently Larson Hill (exit 250) on the Coq.

4WD does not help you stop. All seasons may be ok in snow, but nothing compares to real winter tires on ice and extreme cold. The rubber is different, profiles different, etc etc.

caddisguy
11-18-2013, 06:42 PM
RINO makes a good point. ICBC will try to find you at fault--even if you're not--if you don't have that little snowflake on your tires.

I have a 2003 Wrangler with AT's at around 30-40% tread... sketchy on wet pavement, let alone slush/snow. I'm in the market for new tires. I'd prefer to use the same ones all year around... not sure what to do.

Sofa King
11-18-2013, 07:01 PM
the mandatory snowflake is no longer being enforced this season.
no way in hell would I buy winter tires for one or two trips over the coq.
like others say, put weight in the vehicle and drive appropriately.
carry chains if need be, way, way cheaper than buying a set of winters.

landphil
11-18-2013, 07:26 PM
For high elevation areas in region 3 right now, I would say to have chains unless you are sticking to maintained roads. I used mine both times I went hunting in the last week (even with 4wd and Duratracs), its over a foot deep higher up in 3-26 with drifts doubling that, and pretty slick in places. Having chains makes you legal going to and from as well, then you just need to drive according to conditions.

goatdancer
11-18-2013, 07:28 PM

Buy good aggressive all season radials (M+S), throw 300 lbs over the rear wheels, drive responsibly and defensibly, use 4X4 when things are ugly and you will be fine...

Lemme put it this way... DO semi trucks put winter tires on their trucks...??? Nope... Maybe off highway logging trucks but not your run of the mill highway hauler...

Semi drivers put chains on or just go until the jack knife and plug the highway. Then they put chains on.

BCKyle
11-18-2013, 07:29 PM
I hadn't heard about the snowflake not being enforced... but I have always spent the $$$ on good winters and then swapped 'em out for my rallied summer tires when the snow is gone. Control over your vehicle is only as good as your connection to the road; I've had some close calls where without good tires I would have ended up in the ditch, best case scenario. I drive slow and steady if the conditions are bad now, and I would rather know I have good rubber under me on the high mountain rds like the Coq. Once on the coq I almost rear-ended a semi, because I was following it's tracks (couldn't see more than 20 feet in front of the hood) and it pulled into a truck stop. Drove most of the coq at 20 km/hr, couldn't see anything, cars pulled over/in the ditch all over. They closed it right after I was through.
Ten years and a lot of driving later, I play it safe when it comes to tires. That's $900 I don't mind spending every three years.

rocksteady
11-18-2013, 07:29 PM
the mandatory snowflake is no longer being enforced this season.
no way in hell would I buy winter tires for one or two trips over the coq.
like others say, put weight in the vehicle and drive appropriately.
carry chains if need be, way, way cheaper than buying a set of winters.

One of your most intelligent, non confrontational posts.....keep up the good work :)

bigredchev
11-18-2013, 07:32 PM
the above is true.

ive been through a fair bit of shit spots hunting, and I never leave home without good tires, a jack, a spare and if there is even a hint of snow chains, spiders to secure em. try them on first on first, no sense having paper weights up the coq in the shit storm.

caddisguy
11-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks duallie. I was a little disappointed the other day with the Jeep not being able to make it up a hill with snow over smooth rocks. A dodge ram with AT's made it up further than I did. Guessing I need chains because the Jeep is so light and gets less traction as a result? I saw your falking dead thread that you make your way through a lot of white stuff. Any advice is appreciated.

No girlie 4x4 jokes though please ;-P

rocksteady
11-18-2013, 07:34 PM
If you think a freakin snowflake on your tire will save your ass, with bad driving habits.... You been drinkin the purple kool-aid....

The crushed walnuts, silica impregnated soft rubber compound will not help you if you drive like a freakin ******....

adriaticum
11-18-2013, 07:36 PM
They might turn you back without chains. Not having them is foolish.

Sofa King
11-18-2013, 07:38 PM
One of your most intelligent, non confrontational posts.....keep up the good work :)

dafuq?
how'd that happen?
I must not have read it over close enough before I posted.

davet
11-18-2013, 07:39 PM
I think ill just find a good set of chains. The tires are almost new Just 30000k on them. But we shall see, I might just head to a local mountain.
Thanks everyone for your input.

caddisguy
11-18-2013, 07:41 PM
If you think a freakin snowflake on your tire will save your ass, with bad driving habits.... You been drinkin the purple kool-aid....

The crushed walnuts, silica impregnated soft rubber compound will not help you if you drive like a freakin ******....

Crazy over here in the LML. People often follow each other less than a car length apart at 120km/h. No wonder there are 17 car pile-ups.

landphil

Winters help anybody. They help sane drivers have better control, shorter stopping distances.

They help morons go faster from better traction when accelerating, and help them tailgate by allowing them to keep up to the guy ahead!

Sofa King
Thanks duallie. I was a little disappointed the other day with the Jeep not being able to make it up a hill with snow over smooth rocks. A dodge ram with AT's made it up further than I did. Guessing I need chains because the Jeep is so light and gets less traction as a result? I saw your falking dead thread that you make your way through a lot of white stuff. Any advice is appreciated.

No girlie 4x4 jokes though please ;-P

I've been driving up in all that snow with tires with almost no tread.
I just put on my other old tires that have a wee bit more.
one just needs to know how to drive.
and I don't even use 4wd up there until I have to.
don't panic and think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
still though, chains and weight are a smart idea.
I have to put some weight into my truck still.

davet
11-18-2013, 07:43 PM
They might turn you back without chains. Not having them is foolish.

I would never go without chains. I have never used them before, but buying snow tires for a full size truck is not worth it, especially if i only plan on driving in snow a few times this year.

rocksteady
11-18-2013, 07:47 PM
I've been driving up in all that snow with tires with almost no tread.
I just put on my other old tires that have a wee bit more.
one just needs to know how to drive.
and I don't even use 4wd up there until I have to.
don't panic and think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
still though, chains and weight are a smart idea.
I have to put some weight into my truck still.

I agree, use your head instead of doing the "sky is falling" mentality.... You are on a roll t'night duallie....

Sofa King
11-18-2013, 07:54 PM
here's the tires I've been driving all over up high with.
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/deddeer/IMG_4034_zps24670c8c.jpg (http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/deddeer/media/IMG_4034_zps24670c8c.jpg.html)
this is the shit they are going through just fine.
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/deddeer/IMG_3946_zps0f1d65f4.jpg (http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/deddeer/media/IMG_3946_zps0f1d65f4.jpg.html)
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/deddeer/IMG_3943_zps279a4e3c.jpg (http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/deddeer/media/IMG_3943_zps279a4e3c.jpg.html)
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/deddeer/IMG_3945_zps299e4f50.jpg (http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/deddeer/media/IMG_3945_zps299e4f50.jpg.html)
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/deddeer/IMG_4179_zps6e65a5e4.jpg (http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/deddeer/media/IMG_4179_zps6e65a5e4.jpg.html)
and with chains, one could go almost anywhere.
winter tires are not needed, they would definitely be the best, but they aren't necessary.

Manitoba_Redneck
11-18-2013, 07:55 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, I live in the LML and two weeks ago while hunting in region 3 I slid backwards down the fsr. That was my breaking point, I made a run into crappy tire, all they had to fit my dodge was the cheap cables, I think the brand was the cobra jr. I wasn't holding my breath but what a difference they made on the compact snow on most of the fsrs. It was night and day, and at $115 waaaaay cheaper than a set of snow tires. Now you are supposed to have a set of chains to be on the highways or snow tires. They will turn you around if they are checking on the highway. For that price hard to argue.

rocksteady
11-18-2013, 08:01 PM
If its wet, packing snow that instantly turns to ice, as soon as you drive over it.....NO WINTER tires will help...

adriaticum
11-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Duallie thats all flat ground you are showing.

Sofa King
11-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Duallie thats all flat ground you are showing.

how'd I get up to that flat ground though?
this is at the top of the connector.
and it's only flattish where I happen to be when I'm taking the pics.

adriaticum
11-18-2013, 08:16 PM
how'd I get up to that flat ground though?
this is at the top of the connector.
and it's only flattish where I happen to be when I'm taking the pics.

I don't believe you without GPS coordinates I can verify :mrgreen:

skuntor
11-18-2013, 08:17 PM
I would carry chains just to be legal. FYI anyone tire shopping: I was up to the doors in snow saturday following sled tracks with no problem this weekend on Toyo AT2s. 2wd sometimes. Not winter rated but I was impressed.
I for sure took it slow on the hiway on the hardpacked stuff and was careful to watch for my automatic downshifting when accelerating going up hill. Did that in my dads truck at age 16 with limited slip and pulled a scary 360.

Sofa King
11-18-2013, 08:19 PM

i'll give them to you once that buck is dead.

finngun
11-18-2013, 08:34 PM
If its wet, packing snow that instantly turns to ice, as soon as you drive over it.....NO WINTER tires will help...

well-- they will help ya if ya have studded tires....that is next step..up:idea:

Squamch
11-18-2013, 08:36 PM
I love my tire chains. Had worn out bfg a/ts on my 89 toyota last winter, when I put the chains on it was like night and day. I had real studded winters on my 2wd s10, and they were worlds better on snowy pavement than the tires that were on it, which were some "a/t" street tires. I think they're worth it.

Big Lew
11-18-2013, 08:39 PM
There's a difference between types and brands of vehicles as well as the design and type of tires in regard to their ability in snow and ice conditions. There's also a huge difference between experienced and non-experienced drivers even with today's computer-assisted vehicles. Defensive driving habits and common sense go a long way in getting to your destination safely, but a big part of that common sense is insuring you have the proper tools for the job. Good snow tires and/or chains are those tools. I've traveled frequently for many, many years to and fro between the LML and the rest of BC during the winter months, (without accidents-knock on wood) sometimes in white-outs or extreme snow storms that the wipers couldn't possibly handle, but I always made sure I had good snow tires and had chains along for backup. I also make sure to bring survival equipment, including a shovel and safety flares or lights along as well. Driving too fast for conditions or your specific vehicle's ability, changing lanes or passing too quickly when there are ruts or deep snow ridges, and following too close are 3 of the most common habits that result in accidents.

finngun
11-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Big lew...non-experienced drivers even with today's computer-assisted vehicles.// thats where problems cames,, lots of drivers trust hi-teck cars,, and are driving
same speed and without care,,in winter and summer.. summer it might work..but snowy roads no.. :cry:

boxhitch
11-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Wonder what the boys had for tires that got stuck in 3-20 and had to be rescued ?
Not prepped at all .

Sofa King
11-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Wonder what the boys had for tires that got stuck in 3-20 and had to be rescued ?
Not prepped at all .

they were old farts who couldn't see where they were driving.
I think they drove into the ditch.

mr7mm
11-18-2013, 09:51 PM
no brainer, winter tires are always a good plan, i use bfg all terain very good in snow and ice, and chains are always a good idea and a come along is worth investing in

HarryToolips
11-18-2013, 09:52 PM
If ya don't got the snow flake on your tires, your not insured on thems roads, just so ya know so ya buy snow tires..

Sofa King
11-18-2013, 09:54 PM
If ya don't got the snow flake on your tires, your not insured on thems roads, just so ya know so ya buy snow tires..

yes you are.
just need to have chains, and if in an accident, they need to have been on the tires.

Kudu
11-18-2013, 10:44 PM

Great points - many fall for the advertising put out by the tyre companies.

I do what you do, load up water cans and toss them on the back,when the roads start getting a little slippery.

Been over the couq in a white-out when they shut it down, (we where near the top when the radio said it was shut down) standard all weather tyres and four wheel drive.

Seen many a vehicle doing the old "skid pan routine", most where driven by wide eyed asians or red neck cowboys,with their foot extended a little to near the floor boards.

Skinny
11-18-2013, 11:29 PM
http://www.icbc.com/road-safety/safer-drivers/winter-driving

insurance is not void

Gun Dog
11-18-2013, 11:41 PM

Lemme put it this way... DO semi trucks put winter tires on their trucks...??? Nope... Maybe off highway logging trucks but not your run of the mill highway hauler...You have no idea what you're missing. An all season or M+S is ok for the first couple of years but a real Winter tire is so much better. I run Winter tires on rims so it's an easy swap and two sets of tires lasts a long time. It depends where you live too. Coastal near freezing weather is all slush and ice. Interior -10C snow is a lot nicer to drive on.

caddisguy
11-19-2013, 07:51 AM

I think this is what happened to me. Where my tires just started spinning, it was wet/melting snow on top of smooth/icey rock surfaces. I'm guessing the dodge ram made if further than my jeep with a couple thousand extra pounds adding a bit of traction. I could have played around trying with different approaches, but figured it was foolhardy getting all technical and worrying about every single rock surface under the snow if I'm already having that much trouble near the beginning. Guessing cables/chains would have been the answer.

Jetboat
11-19-2013, 10:17 AM
First off, I've been living and driving in the north for over 30 years in ALL conditions. For spring, summer & fall, I have 10ply "snowflake marked" M&S tires on both my personal 4x4's as we haul our own water here north of Fort St John. But come November, on goes the 10ply Arctic Claws. This year at work we installed studded Nokian Hakapalitta tires instead of Blizzaks. During this past week, with freezing rain, 6" snow and -25C conditions on remote roads, hiway and town driving, the traction has been incredible. I only put it in 4WD to climb one snowed in road to a remote well. All season tires? Only good for summer pavement and dry, high grade gravel roads IMHO. Just try hauling a stock trailer loaded with a couple ton of calves to the sale in winter road conditions with those useless "all season" tires and you'll upgrade real fast. If you plan on going into the back country, it never hurts to bring chains as conditions can deteriorate rapidly.

Taurusguy
11-19-2013, 10:18 AM
All seasons SUCK in the snow. They might as well be summer tires. They freeze up and the treads clog. Now if your all seasons are M+S you got a better chance of traction... But still. The difference between all season and snow tires is night and day. However snow tires SUCK in the rain and you can easily slide if its wet out.snow tires should not be a matter of worth for deer they should be a matter of worth for safety in winter road conditions regardless of where you drive on them. Get a set on some steel rims.. Pretty easy to swap out as necessary. They will last a long time too if you don't drive on them all the time.

Just my 2 cents

goatdancer
11-19-2013, 10:22 AM

I'm very certain I recognized the landmarks so I could "sell" you the coordinates..........

adriaticum
11-19-2013, 10:27 AM
It all depends on what you drive and where you go.
If you drive your hummer from home to the grocery store you don't need snow tires.
If you drive a car/suv or something lighter and try and go up a mountain winter tires will always be better than all-season tires.
I guess they will start putting all season radials on all the quads.

hare_assassin
11-19-2013, 10:37 AM

You've apparently never driven on any of the modern "ice" tires, like Michelin X-Ice, Blizzacks, Nokian Hakkapeliitta, etc. and as Finn mentioned, studs certainly help a lot.

There's no replacement for good driving, though.

hare_assassin
11-19-2013, 10:43 AM
I think this is what happened to me. Where my tires just started spinning, it was wet/melting snow on top of smooth/icey rock surfaces. I'm guessing the dodge ram made if further than my jeep with a couple thousand extra pounds adding a bit of traction. I could have played around trying with different approaches, but figured it was foolhardy getting all technical and worrying about every single rock surface under the snow if I'm already having that much trouble near the beginning. Guessing cables/chains would have been the answer.

Decent chains on all 4 wheels + 4-wheel drive turns your vehicle into a tank. The difference is absolutely incredible. The only thing that would make it better on my truck is locking differentials. That would be unreal.

Jagermeister
11-19-2013, 10:58 AM
I used Michelin A/S M+S 265 R75 16 on my F350 X4 to access the Tranqueille sledding area. My sphinchter muscle would tighten when I went through that short canyon area near the top.
One day, down on the lower section, I didn't hear the radio as the lowbed driver hauling a processor announced his location. That was right at my location. I had to ditch it on the high side to avoid him. I could not reverse out and ended up getting extracted by the following lowbed.
Even if I had winters on, it would have made no difference. The only thing that would have made it possible would have been chains. From that point on, chains were in the truck.
The tires I run now are winters, same brand and size. I don't think that there is any difference when compared with each other.
New winters are going to have a tread depth of somewhere around 11 to 13/32nds. If you have 8/32nds, and this is on A/S or Winters, you should be good to go. Of course your driving abilities are going to play a major part how you make out.
Now on the Coq, what you have to be concerned about are the other drivers. Especially those with high levels of testosterone and 4 cans of Red Bull before departure.

sapper
11-19-2013, 11:06 AM
they were old farts who couldn't see where they were driving.
I think they drove into the ditch.
Well, duallie, you were having a good night but didn't know when to quit. ;-)
If you're referring to my buddy and I that ended up in a ditch outside of Surrey Lake (in MU 3-19, BTW) we're not exactly old farts (I know none of us think we are though) we're both in our 40's. We had chains on the back tires and cables on the front and were in 4WD at the time. We were driving a road we had been on twice before, once earlier in the morning. Everyone's tracks, as it turned out, happened to be way far right on the road (but of course that was not visible due to all the snow) and the third time up there my buddy must have had the tires just a few inches too far to the right and well, the rest is history. My buddy's tires were not the best though and that is why I had got him the chains and cables as I was not comfortable with him driving us around with them otherwise. I don't believe the tires are why we ended up in the ditch though. Stuff can happen at any time and you have to be paying attention and you have to adjust your driving for the conditions (i.e. driving the Coquihalla in snow and black ice or driving through an accident scene, etc.).
Oh, and we had a jack and come-along but the area had been bombed by loggers and there was nothing for any great distance to "come-along" too.

Jagermeister
11-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Years ago I was hunting with a friend up above Vaseax Lake. He had the front end of his dodge power wagon chained up. I thought he should've had the rears instead. He explained why. The front end most always gets into trouble first, so if you reverse quickly, you're out. When it came to the point that we could not proceed further, he just put the front axle into the high side of the bank and layed on the throttle. We swung around just as nice as you please and were on our way whence we can in a blink. And with that, he said, "That's why I chain the front end."
Lesson learned.

Moe.JKU
11-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Years ago I was hunting with a friend up above Vaseax Lake. He had the front end of his dodge power wagon chained up. I thought he should've had the rears instead. He explained why. The front end most always gets into trouble first, so if you reverse quickly, you're out. When it came to the point that we could not proceed further, he just put the front axle into the high side of the bank and layed on the throttle. We swung around just as nice as you please and were on our way whence we can in a blink. And with that, he said, "That's why I chain the front end."
Lesson learned.

I have always found that chains on the front help out because those are you steering tires. you don't want to keep sliding straight when you hit a corner, it just helps grip and turn your vehicle, and theres always 4x4 to get power from the chains on the front if the rears are not grabbing.

Big Lew
11-19-2013, 11:42 AM
You're correct about chaining up the front first if you have only one set. With chains on the front you can pull yourself toward the direction you wish to go. Even when backing up you are able to direct your vehicle far better than if the chains were only one the back axle. Biggest problem with most vehicles over the last few years is not enough clearance between the tire and the wheel well for aggressive chains. I once was the only vehicle able to keep going on an extremely icy section between Yale and Spuzzum because I chained up my front wheels on a grand cherokee. It was raining and freezing on the road making it so slippery you couldn't stand without sliding but I could keep the vehicle on the road even though the back end would slide wherever the road sloped.

swampdonkey
11-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Well, duallie, you were having a good night but didn't know when to quit. ;-)
If you're referring to my buddy and I that ended up in a ditch outside of Surrey Lake (in MU 3-19, BTW) we're not exactly old farts (I know none of us think we are though) we're both in our 40's. We had chains on the back tires and cables on the front and were in 4WD at the time. We were driving a road we had been on twice before, once earlier in the morning. Everyone's tracks, as it turned out, happened to be way far right on the road (but of course that was not visible due to all the snow) and the third time up there my buddy must have had the tires just a few inches too far to the right and well, the rest is history. My buddy's tires were not the best though and that is why I had got him the chains and cables as I was not comfortable with him driving us around with them otherwise. I don't believe the tires are why we ended up in the ditch though. Stuff can happen at any time and you have to be paying attention and you have to adjust your driving for the conditions (i.e. driving the Coquihalla in snow and black ice or driving through an accident scene, etc.).
Oh, and we had a jack and come-along but the area had been bombed by loggers and there was nothing for any great distance to "come-along" too.He was talking about 2 guys in 3-20 this past weekend

hare_assassin
11-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Very true - if you have only one set of chains, put 'em on the front (in a 4x4 and FWD). The reason I got two sets is because I don't have locking diffs (including the transfer case) so it is extremely helpful to have chains on the back as well. With chains only on the front and the rear wheel(s) slipping on ice, no torque is transferred to the front.

Overall traction is only as good as the wheel with the worst traction when running open diffs. For this reason I put my more aggressive chains on the back, since it is lighter back there.

j270wsm
11-19-2013, 12:52 PM

This statement is 100% WRONG..... I've talked to the RCMP and ministry of transportation about this misconception.
Both parties told me that any tire with the M+S or literature from the manufacturer stating there a winter tire are fine. Of course winter tires are the best option if you don't drive like an idiot, but it is not law to have them. If I could figure out how to post pics from my phone I'd post the email I got from the ministry of transportation.

sapper
11-19-2013, 01:05 PM
He was talking about 2 guys in 3-20 this past weekend

Aha. Thanks, swampdonkey. No shortage of guys ending up in ditches, huh. ;-)
I take back my tongue-in-cheek comment directed at you then, duallie. It turns out your "roll" is ongoing. :-)

firebug
11-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Wesco Industries. Sells tire chains in all sizes.
I purchased a set of chains that fit a variety of sizes around the 295 70 r 17
for $176 inc tax and special bungee cords, these are not cable chains. they are heavy duty with Cam locks.
Easy to install. Figured it's a cheaper option than 4 snow tires.
I currently run M&S tires but its nice peace of mind.
here is wesco's contact info. call with your tire size for a quote.
2437 Beta Avenue Burnaby BC V5C 5N1. Phone: 604 292 1220

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/SeasonalDriving/winter_chains.html

East Van Ray
11-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Safety first ... get both ...

davet
11-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Safety first ... get both ...
I wound only get both if i was driving the coq or any mountain pass every week. So i think ill just get chains. I do check traffic cameras on a daily basis so im able to see what it looks like on the coq summit .

davet
11-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Thanks firebug ill check that out.

Wesco Industries. Sells tire chains in all sizes.
I purchased a set of chains that fit a variety of sizes around the 295 70 r 17
for $176 inc tax and special bungee cords, these are not cable chains. they are heavy duty with Cam locks.
Easy to install. Figured it's a cheaper option than 4 snow tires.
I currently run M&S tires but its nice peace of mind.
here is wesco's contact info. call with your tire size for a quote.
2437 Beta Avenue Burnaby BC V5C 5N1. Phone: 604 292 1220

Sofa King
11-19-2013, 10:40 PM
All seasons SUCK in the snow. They might as well be summer tires. They freeze up and the treads clog. Now if your all seasons are M+S you got a better chance of traction... But still. The difference between all season and snow tires is night and day. However snow tires SUCK in the rain and you can easily slide if its wet out.snow tires should not be a matter of worth for deer they should be a matter of worth for safety in winter road conditions regardless of where you drive on them. Get a set on some steel rims.. Pretty easy to swap out as necessary. They will last a long time too if you don't drive on them all the time.

Just my 2 cents

really?
I'm doing alright.
and there near as bald as they can get almost.
this was today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmrvcyjAqF4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ-Yv6WbGio

ianwuzhere
11-19-2013, 10:45 PM
Snow tires!

Sofa King
11-19-2013, 11:06 PM
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/34/jlqi.JPG/

Sofa King
11-19-2013, 11:09 PM
make it up hills like this with no worries in the least.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/2ck6.jpg/

not even close to spinning a tire in this depth yet.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/gwfz.jpg/

adriaticum
11-19-2013, 11:26 PM
make it up hills like this with no worries in the least.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/2ck6.jpg/

not even close to spinning a tire in this depth yet.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/gwfz.jpg/

That's a hill???
Hahahahaha
Maybe in Kamloops it is.
But then again you have a duallie, no?

Sofa King
11-19-2013, 11:55 PM
That's a hill???
Hahahahaha
Maybe in Kamloops it is.
But then again you have a duallie, no?

it's steeper than it looks in the pic.
I'm just saying, worn-out all seasons are getting me everywhere I've tried to go.
guys are talking like one's insane to leave the driveway without buying new winter tires.
it's 100% not necessary.

Big Lew
11-20-2013, 09:03 AM
I can't possibly remember how many times I've come to a intersection or hill and been held back and frustrated by individuals stuck there just spinning their worn out or summer tires. As a senior driver for our company, if we put a truck out on the road during snow and ice conditions, I was the vanguard. With the height advantage from a tall truck cab, I could watch a lot of the miss-haps and fender benders from start to finish. I was always amazed by the number to clueless, stupid, and impatient drivers that very often didn't have adequate tires to begin with. I guess it goes hand in hand that those insuring they have good snow and ice tires would also more likely be driving responsibly.

Barracuda
11-20-2013, 09:37 AM
this was covered recently in another post

Just Sayin :wink:

The W-041 Warning sign when placed upon a highway is to inform motorists that winter driving conditions can be expected on provincial highways from Oct 1st -Apr 30th. Therefore, motorist should be properly equipped with appropriate winter safety equipment between Oct 1st – April 30th, and may be prevented from proceeding on highways which have R-047 regulatory signs “Use Winter Tires or Carry Chains – Beyond This Point – October 1st – April 30th“ placed upon the highway.

BC Motor Vehicle Act - (Chapter 318 - Part 3)

Safety equipment

208 (1) For the purpose of this section, “winter tire” means a tire that is

(a) advertised or represented by its manufacturer or a person in the business of selling tires to be a tire intended principally for winter use, and that provides, or is designed to provide, adequate traction in snow or mud; and
(b) in the condition respecting tread wear and other particulars the regulations prescribe.
(2) The Minister of Transportation and Highways may, by public notice or by placing signs, prohibit vehicles from being driven or operated on a highway that are not equipped with chains, winter tires or sanding devices, or a combination of these the minister considers adequate and necessary in view of prevailing road conditions.
(3) For the purposes of a prosecution under this section, the onus is on the defendant to prove that a tire alleged not to be a winter tire is in fact a winter tire.

http://www.kelowna.com/2009/12/15/co...-of-snow-tire/ (http://www.kelowna.com/2009/12/15/cops-clarify-the-definition-of-snow-tire/)

greenhorn
11-20-2013, 09:53 AM
I'd get some Wrangler DuraTracs and throw some snow in the back of your pick-up to add weight. You can drive those tires year round, and they perform well in snow IMO.

quaint bucket
11-20-2013, 09:58 AM
really?
I'm doing alright.
and there near as bald as they can get almost.
this was today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmrvcyjAqF4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ-Yv6WbGio

That looks like a nice place.

Sofa King
11-20-2013, 10:01 AM
That looks like a nice place.

it is, and only twenty minutes from home.

Sofa King
11-20-2013, 10:03 AM
cuda, you posted an article from 2009.
this current winter, the snowflake ruling has been relaxed and is not being enforced.

quaint bucket
11-20-2013, 10:07 AM
it is, and only twenty minutes from home.

Jealous! I have to drive at least an hour and a half just to see that.

Salty
11-20-2013, 10:49 AM
All Seasons? Hello.... 1985 called they want their "tires" back.

Some of you guys kill me. How much have you got wrapped up in your vehicle and hunting gear and what percentage of that $ would it cost to get proper winter rated tires with the snow flake on them and then meet the laws and be insured properly? Here I'll help you out a bit on the cost.. it should be from zero to a couple hundred bucks extra on a set of tires to get the snow flake.

I always run fairly aggressive tread mud and snow all terrain type tires and I run them all year and they all wear the snowflake. The technology in today's tires is leaps and bounds ahead of the all season days. All season should be called no season cause they do a fair job at best in all conditions compared to what you can get. I'm running commercial grade 10 ply Nittos bought this year, yes they're pricey but I need the 10 ply for the amount of blast rock I'm on... they were 1500 a set. Still cheap compared to the off road style. Yesterday I was in 4 low going up 25% grades on a snow covered spur, walked right up and I was able to turn around safely on a steep grade where it was getting too hairy before the top for drifts and rock fall. Before these bad boys I've run other brand with similar specs but not commercial grade for between a grand and 1300 a set installed. If you don't need the 10ply you can get outfitted for 150 a tire and up. Wear'm all year they last as good as anything else if you get the right ones. The ones I have now are lasting some guys 100,000 kms.

Glenny
11-20-2013, 11:16 AM
For the off road chains would be ideal. Especially now and up and down steep hills. I have been considering some used snow tires too. Looked on Craigs list today. Some good deals on there.

Sofa King
11-20-2013, 11:31 AM
salty, it may be 2014, but has snow changed since 1985?
these fancy tires weren't around back then and we all got around just fine.
in fact, the roads and their maintenance has improved by leaps and bounds.

Barracuda
11-20-2013, 11:35 AM
cuda, you posted an article from 2009.
this current winter, the snowflake ruling has been relaxed and is not being enforced.

I posted the regulations ,even professionals can be misinformed and mistakenly pass on incorrect information .

They are the regulations . The severe sevice stamped tires (snowflake mountain) is not and has never been mandatory in bc only M&S /chains have been.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topics/faq.htm#winter_tires

skuntor
11-20-2013, 11:55 AM
I think this means a true winter tire, "(a) advertised or represented by its manufacturer or a person in the business of selling tires to be a tire intended principally for winter use"
A M/S tire is not intended principally for winter use. It goes on to say, "(3) For the purposes of a prosecution under this section, the onus is on the defendant to prove that a tire alleged not to be a winter tire is in fact a winter tire." Basically, nothing you can do if turned around and you would have to attempt to prove your case to ICBC if they tried to say you were breaking the law by not using and true winter tire if in a accident on a hiway requiring winter tires or chains.

Sofa King
11-20-2013, 12:02 PM
the reason they have relaxed their enforcement this season is that MOT is reviewing the ruling.
mainly the fact that there are tires that aren't "winter-rated" but have M&S stamped on them.
technically, I think there's legal issues there that someone could say that their tire says it's for mud AND snow.
I think we may see those tires no longer stamped with "M&S" in the future.

Barracuda
11-20-2013, 12:03 PM
if it says M&S (Mud and Snow) on the side then it is designated a winter approved tire.

They have not relaxed enforcement it is that there is no requirement to have the severe service tire in BC . if and when they change it then and only then can they enforce it but they cannot not enforce a regulation that does not exist at this point in time.
That being said the severe service tires are a night and day difference to M&S tires.

bigslim
11-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Custom made v-bar chains for my 35" tires under $200 for a pair. Worth every penny to get me there and back safely.
As tires age no matter how much tread is on them they lose traction capabilities.
New tires good ( non winter rated)
Winter rated tires better
V-bar chains the best!!!!
Bigslim

Billyisgr8
11-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Only M&S tires are required in BC winter driving conditions, but ICBC will lay fault of blame depending on what they judge your tires condition is in and tread pattern if you are involved in an accident. Our insurance office has a letter from ICBC on their wall so everyone can read it regarding M&S tires and that their adjusters will take tread pattern and wear into account in placing percentage of fault to you in the event of an accident. We live in Sicamous, and I would not run anything else but a tire with the mountain snowflake rating. I am in shock many times when I see company from the lower mainland driving up on their lower mainland all season tires with a M&S rating in the middle of winter. It gives me chills looking at some tires, and I allways do, cause up here you pass 100 semi's on a trip to Kamloops or Kelowna, and one wrong lapse in judgement and your dead.

My brother in laws parents in their jeep with new all seasons on were turned back on the Kelowna conector because they did not have chains, and the police officer said even though the tires were new, with full tread, had the M&S rating, they did not meet the severe winter driving conditions that were hapening on the connector right then so he turned them back to Kelowna, he would have let them go if they had chains to put on he did say.

Sofa King
if it says M&S (Mud and Snow) on the side then it is designated a winter approved tire.

They have not relaxed enforcement it is that there is no requirement to have the severe service tire in BC . if and when they change it then and only then can they enforce it but they cannot not enforce a regulation that does not exist at this point in time.
That being said the severe service tires are a night and day difference to M&S tires.

yes they have stopped enforcement this season.
fact.

Salty

If it has the international snowflake symbol on it then correct. If someone labels a tire M and S and it doesn't have the symbol then no. Not that I'm aware of any called M and S tires without the symbol. ..

Sofa King
11-20-2013, 12:14 PM
If it has the international snowflake symbol on it then correct. If someone labels a tire M and S and it doesn't have the symbol then no. Not that I'm aware of any called M and S tires without the symbol. ..

I have a set of wrangler gas's on my truck.
M&S, but no snowflake.
same as my uniroyals that just came off.

Sofa King
11-20-2013, 12:14 PM
gsa's, oops.

Salty
11-20-2013, 12:15 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

In 1999, The U.S. Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) and the Rubber Association of Canada (RAC) agreed on a performance based standard to identify passenger and light truck tires that attain a traction index equal to, or greater than 110 (compared to a reference tire which is rated 100) during the specified American Society for Testing and Materials traction tests on packed snow. The new standard helps ensure that drivers can easily identify tires that provide a higher level of snow traction.

Sofa King
11-20-2013, 12:16 PM
and pretty much the whole line of intercos are M&S and not snowflaked.

Billyisgr8
11-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Speaking of tires we use the Nokian I3 for summer driving on our van, even though it has the M&S rating on it...but it says on the side wall M&S rating only in North america. ....crazy forsure looking at the tread pattern, lack of sipes, solid block , it is a summer tire, but this is legally what is required on vehicles in BC for winter driving...yikes!!! Lower Mainlanders need to come drive in the rest of BC. I grew up in the lower mainland, and moved up here 10 years ago, we do not have "SNOW DAYS " off from work or school because of snow.

http://www.mpvclub.com/photopost/data/500/Nokian-i3-closeup_resize.jpg

hare_assassin
11-20-2013, 12:27 PM
"M&S" or "M/S" defines a specification based solely on tread pattern and void space, and is not subjected to testing.

"Mountain Snowflake" defines a specification based on both tread pattern and tread compound, and is subjected to standardized snow traction testing before getting the symbol stamped on it.

It seems simple to me that if they are going to have a requirement for winter tires on some of these roads/highways, that the "Mountain Snowflake" (tested) tires be required. Otherwise, what is the point?

Billyisgr8's example above illustrates this perfectly. Those tires may technically meet the (untested) M&S designation, but they would be useless in extreme winter conditions.

Salty
11-20-2013, 02:08 PM
You nailed it h_a. Marketing and industry labels have made people feel that they are equipped for winter driving conditions for years where in fact in many cases they haven't been. Witness 'all season' ratings. Means nothing. And Mud and Snow ratings, means nothing on its own. I'm glad that in 2009 the industry agreed to testing on performance measures and the use of the international snowflake symbol to prove they've been tested and meet a minimum benchmark on traction on snow covered roads.

There's been good winter tires available for a long time, back in the 80s for instance during the 'all season' popularity. But you had to read the reports and figure out which ones were good winter tires and which were just a label.

Barracuda
11-20-2013, 03:38 PM
you may find this and its wording interesting

No. H159/13
For release - November 20, 2013
OTTAWA — The Honourable Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport, today announced important regulations that will enhance the safety of tires manufactured for the Canadian market. These regulations will replace the current Motor Vehicle Tire Safety Regulations, 1995 (MVTSR, 1995).
“Safety is paramount when out on the road,” said Minister Raitt. “The safety of Canadian road users will be improved as all tires sold in Canada must meet the new testing requirements, in addition to proposed standards for appropriately marked winter tires.”
The regulations also introduce aligned requirements for winter tires, which allow the enforcement of winter tire standards if manufacturers choose to use the peaked mountain with a snowflake symbol. When Canadian-market manufacturers choose to apply this symbol, it indicates to consumers that the tire meets Canadian winter tire regulatory standards.
“These changes will give consumers easier and better access to crucial information about their tires,” said Jeff Walker, vice president of public affairs for the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA). “CAA supports regulatory measures that enhance consumer knowledge and choice.”
By implementing these regulations, the Government of Canada is responding to tire and vehicle manufacturers who have encouraged the government to align Canadian tire safety regulations with those of the United States. Alignment also supports the principles of the Canada-U.S. Regulatory Cooperation Council announced by Prime Minister Harper and President Obama in February 2011.
Manufacturers will have until September 1, 2014 to conform to these new regulations.

vanillagator
11-20-2013, 11:35 PM
And it was nasty!! tues night I was prob the only one on the coq heading to kam for muley's at two in the a.m. BLIZZARD, fog, 60km with 4by in high. On the way back, must have been every ambulance in the interior passing by with their lollypop flashers on. Trucks, vans, cars even semi's flipped up side down )ouch) it was nasty to see. Road was SOLID ice. Just remember to drive cool and listen to some relaxing jazz to calm the uneasiness.

Salty
11-21-2013, 08:59 AM
And it was nasty!! tues night I was prob the only one on the coq heading to kam for muley's at two in the a.m. BLIZZARD, fog, 60km with 4by in high. On the way back, must have been every ambulance in the interior passing by with their lollypop flashers on. Trucks, vans, cars even semi's flipped up side down )ouch) it was nasty to see. Road was SOLID ice. Just remember to drive cool and listen to some relaxing jazz to calm the uneasiness.

Good job keeping your cool vanillagator. It blows my mind that some people think its OK to drive mountain passes with worn out substandard to begin with tires. And brag about it. ^ This kind of bad weather situation happens several times every winter on every mountain pass in BC, some years a lot more than several.

Wrayzer
11-21-2013, 09:05 AM
And some people think its OK to drive mountain passes with worn out substandard to begin with tires. And brag about it.

I think its safe to say no one will take certain opinions here seriously. At least that's what I would hope for.
WWDD.

hare_assassin
11-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Good job keeping your cool vanillagator. It blows my mind that some people think its OK to drive mountain passes with worn out substandard to begin with tires. And brag about it. ^ This kind of bad weather situation happens several times every winter on every mountain pass in BC, some years a lot more than several.

There's the other issue, though; overconfidence. I see it all the time. Some young douche in a 4x4 (or trophy wife in an Escalade) with top notch winter tires doing 120kph on ice. They think since they spent the money on the best winter tires and they've got her in 4 high that they can drive like it is July. Perhaps they are a greater danger than someone with questionable "M&S" tires driving according to conditions.

Salty
11-21-2013, 09:25 AM
There's the other issue, though; overconfidence. I see it all the time. Some young douche in a 4x4 (or trophy wife in an Escalade) with top notch winter tires doing 120kph on ice. They think since they spent the money on the best winter tires and they've got her in 4 high that they can drive like it is July. Perhaps they are a greater danger than someone with questionable "M&S" tires driving according to conditions.

Good point for sure. Back in the early 90s I spent quite a bit of time in winter on the road to the ski hill to Mt Washington. This is when it was just transitioning from a gravel logging road to more like what you see today. More people started coming skiing and before long most weekends the ditches were littered with SUVs and 4x4 pickups. The granola munchers with their underpowered VW vans seemed to make it up OK.

hare_assassin
11-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Good point for sure. Back in the early 90s I spent quite a bit of time in winter on the road to the ski hill to Mt Washington. This is when it was just transitioning from a gravel logging road to more like what you see today. More people started coming skiing and before long most weekends the ditches were littered with SUVs and 4x4 pickups. The granola munchers with their underpowered VW vans seemed to make it up OK.

Most people drive better high. ;)

Sofa King
11-21-2013, 09:34 AM

great point.
the connector is always full of suvs doing 150km/hr no matter the conditions.
right through Brenda mine fog zone, blizzard conditions, ice, slush, you name it.
they put 'er in 4high and lay the hammer down.
and guess why?
because they have fancy new winter tires on that makes them super-safe.
I'd rather be around cautious drivers with all seasons than those hazards.

hare_assassin
11-21-2013, 09:37 AM
I'd rather be around cautious drivers with all seasons than those hazards.

Me too.

However I'd rather be around those who have excellent winter tires and drive cautiously.

The only thing I can do, though, is make sure I am one of those people.

Sofa King
11-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Speaking of tires we use the Nokian I3 for summer driving on our van, even though it has the M&S rating on it...but it says on the side wall M&S rating only in North america. ....crazy forsure looking at the tread pattern, lack of sipes, solid block , it is a summer tire, but this is legally what is required on vehicles in BC for winter driving...yikes!!! Lower Mainlanders need to come drive in the rest of BC. I grew up in the lower mainland, and moved up here 10 years ago, we do not have "SNOW DAYS " off from work or school because of snow.

very true.
I've seen some of the tires they approve to have the snowflake stamp.
some are shit tires.
and they took off the snowflake from the bfg a/t's for awhile, in Canada anyway.
yet they are an incredible tire in winter conditions.
I'm not trusting a tire just because someone somewhere decides it's good enough.
and where are these tires tested.
I was told before that it's in a giant building in florida or somewhere that "simulates" different road conditions.
yeah, okay.
I'd prefer to test them for myself on the "actual" areas i'll be driving.

sapper
11-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Most people drive better high. ;)
Do you mean 4-high? ;-)

Sofa King
11-21-2013, 09:47 AM
I grew up in Saskatchewan, northern Manitoba, way up there, and the Yukon.
and northern b.c.
I've never bought a set of winter tires and dad never did either.
never flipped a car, never been in an accident, have never even been in a ditch.
except I was once more recently on bear creek road avoiding a semi.

nobody thinks all-seasons or m&s tires are "better" than winters.
just that if one drives responsibly, and pays close attention to conditions, they do the job just fine and even better when coupled with chains.
not everyone has the cash to be throwing towards another set of tires.
the set i'll be getting in the next month, I chose because of their tread pattern and ruggedness.
a special bonus was that they just happen to have a snowflake on them.

adriaticum
11-21-2013, 09:50 AM
winter tires will always outperform all season tires in winter conditions.
Period.

quaint bucket
11-21-2013, 09:55 AM
that's all we need to take from it.

I want to hit the coquihalla highway but I know I can't because I don't have chains (yet) and my tires treads are a little low for my liking so will have to wait for next year.

OH WELL.

hare_assassin
11-21-2013, 09:55 AM
not everyone has the cash to be throwing towards another set of tires.

I'm a pretty frugal person and don't have a lot of money to just throw around, but the way I see it is:

1) Two sets of tires will last twice as long as one set. While I am running the winters, the others are not being worn, and vise versa. So money-wise, over the years, you break even.

2) I would never put a price on my family's safety, and I know for a fact that both my vehicles have much better traction and control in winter, with winter tires.

Based on this, it is not a difficult decision. It is a no-brainer.

P.S. I have all the winters for both vehicles on steel rims and I swap 'em myself. This also keeps costs as low as possible.

hare_assassin
11-21-2013, 09:57 AM
that's all we need to take from it.

I want to hit the coquihalla highway but I know I can't because I don't have chains (yet) and my tires treads are a little low for my liking so will have to wait for next year.

OH WELL.

Wise decision.

Sofa King
11-21-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm a pretty frugal person and don't have a lot of money to just throw around, but the way I see it is:

1) Two sets of tires will last twice as long as one set. While I am running the winters, the others are not being worn, and vise versa. So money-wise, over the years, you break even.

2) I would never put a price on my family's safety, and I know for a fact that both my vehicles have much better traction and control in winter, with winter tires.

Based on this, it is not a difficult decision. It is a no-brainer.

P.S. I have all the winters for both vehicles on steel rims and I swap 'em myself. This also keeps costs as low as possible.

definitely true.
but again, there are people out there who are severely strapped and just can't afford that.
let alone have the storage room for extra sets of tires.

quaint bucket
11-21-2013, 10:22 AM
Wise decision.

I like not spending money on a fine that would otherwise go to a new set of AT tires and chains. :)

Oh, not dying is a good bonus.

Sofa King
11-21-2013, 10:39 AM
I like not spending money on a fine that would otherwise go to a new set of AT tires and chains. :)

Oh, not dying is a good bonus.

a true hunter wouldn't let this from stopping a hunt.
get on the hound, jump out up top halfway over the connector, and hitch a ride back with your trophy draped over your shoulder.
at least put the word out there on here to see if there's another going out around the same time and has some room for more company.
hunt, hunt, hunt.

quaint bucket
11-21-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm heading out to other areas of interest to me for hunting this weekend and next weekend. Coquihalla will have to wait for next year.

Don't know any hunters. The ones that I do don't have winter tires or chains or off at their camp jobs.

Big Lew
11-21-2013, 12:30 PM
I would rather pick my battles, so to speak, so avoid the Coq. and Connector unless they are in very good shape. Not only are they notorious for their snow and extreme slippery conditions, but for their thick fog as well during the winter. Even if it takes me much longer, I'll use the Canyon or the Hope Princton instead.

Sofa King
11-21-2013, 12:35 PM
I would rather pick my battles, so to speak, so avoid the Coq. and Connector unless they are in very good shape. Not only are they notorious for their snow and extreme slippery conditions, but for their thick fog as well during the winter. Even if it takes me much longer, I'll use the Canyon or the Hope Princton instead.

you city drivers.
the coqs a cakewalk.

quaint bucket
11-21-2013, 01:16 PM
does that mean you're picking me up here to go hunting there? :)

Big Lew
11-21-2013, 02:29 PM
you city drivers.
the coqs a cakewalk.

Ho Ho Ho! 'City driver' indeed....I'll venture to say that I've driven throughout the western part of this continent from Inuvik to Mexico while putting on far more miles than the average driver will in their lifetime (of course, it's almost a lifetime for me anyway at 50 & 1/2 years of driving) and that's not including 45 years of commercial driving. (Put that in your pipe and smoke it:razz::biggrin::lol:)

Salty
11-21-2013, 07:27 PM

I hear ya Big Lew when the weather sux on the Coq the most dangerous thing about it is unequipped inexperienced drivers. If your lucky they just spin out, block a semi, then he jack knives and the plows can't get by and the highway closes. But there's always a real possibility they'll loose it at the wrong time and take other innocent drivers out with them. It can be and often is a huge gong show up there when the big systems roll in, the Connector's bad too.

frenchbar
11-21-2013, 07:44 PM
ive seen countless people in my line of work all f@@KED up ..in the ditch ..upside down..with all season junk on their rigs ...its like taking a knife to a gun fight IMO ..

cas-has-cars
11-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Good snow tires and chains should be part of all hunters gear! When it comes to hunting gear always buy the very best you can afford, otherwise your all ways wishing you bought something better.

hunter1947
11-22-2013, 06:04 AM
So i live in the lower mainland and im thinking of one last trip to region 3. I got a 4x4 dodge truck with all season tires. I have not driven the coq or the canyon in winter in a long while. Will the drive be ok or should i get snow tires or chains?

Always handy to have a set of chains with you where ever you go during winter time as for good winter tires ,,,the highway departments don't get enough credit for keeping the main highway roads clean my opinion they do a good job .
Lots of people driving in bad conditions don't slow down enough due to the road conditions this causes accidents if a person slows down the chances of getting into an accident is very slim be dive slow down when the roads are in bad conditions and you will be OK..

Barracuda
11-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Good snow tires and chains should be part of all hunters gear! When it comes to hunting gear always buy the very best you can afford, otherwise your all ways wishing you bought something better.

I agree a decent set of chains are great and they are there when you need them and store away in the truck cargo area etc .

hare_assassin
11-22-2013, 10:15 AM
I just noticed yesterday, on the front of a newspaper I was crumpling up to make a fire, that there is a reality show about the rescue crews that respond to crashes on the "problem" highways in BC.

Dramatized and glorified, I am sure, but I doubt they'd make such a show if these highways were truly a "cake walk".

http://www.discovery.ca/showpage.aspx?sid=45238

adriaticum
11-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Dramatized and glorified

That's an understatement.

I think the most accidents happen for 1 reason.
We all know that we are a great driver.
The thing we forget is that we are not the only ones on the highway. :mrgreen:

Singleshotneeded
11-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Well, if you're just making the one winter trip out of the Fraser Valley to where winter is real, then get chains and put a few sand bags in the back of the box. The price of tires these days is nuts, and you'll probably be able to use the chains again one day. Good luck!
Number one reason for accidents on the Coq in winter is speed, slow down and take your time and actually get there safely! You can always spot the Fraser Valley boys and girls on the Coq, driving too fast for conditions, following way too close, and often winding up sliding off the road. The other reason is a momentary loss of concentration on the road in front of you and what you should be doing...driving carefully. Don't play with CDs, if you don't have an MP3 player yet, get one and have hours of your favourite music and no distractions. Ignore your cell, call her back when you get off the Coq and stop. :-D

sawmill
11-22-2013, 12:37 PM
I just noticed yesterday, on the front of a newspaper I was crumpling up to make a fire, that there is a reality show about the rescue crews that respond to crashes on the "problem" highways in BC.

Dramatized and glorified, I am sure, but I doubt they'd make such a show if these highways were truly a "cake walk".

http://www.discovery.ca/showpage.aspx?sid=45238

Actually it is a pretty damn good and accurate show,Hiway Through Hell.I have watched a lot of episodes and it`s all about recovery of some of the most godawfull truck wrecks on the Coq.Pretty amazing what it takes to get a semi up from a 50 foot bank on its side.I watched them lift a Tractor upside down and rotate it 180,in the air, and set it down on the wheels.The trailers are worse,they are so flimsy one bad move and the crack like an egg and spill everything out.Well worth a look if you think running shit tires in the winter on any mountain pass in B.C. is a good idea.

Big Lew
11-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Now that's an inflammatory statement:-D " You can always spot the Fraser Valley boys and girls on the Coq, driving too fast for conditions, following way too close, and often winding up sliding off the road."What's to say that you 'Inland drivers", like the hoards of 'Albertan" drivers, aren't rushing back home from the coast?:razz::lol:
'

RebuiltMosin
11-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Just remember that if you even get rear ended on the coq this time of the year with all season tires instead of winter your partly at fault in icbc's eyes for having improper equipment.
As for do rigs run winter tires comment you'd be amazed how many of us that run up hear every night swap our tires out every October.