PDA

View Full Version : Mock Scrape Question

bassplayer
11-18-2013, 01:52 PM
I have a question for those that have ever made a mock scrape for the whitey rut. My buddy just made his first one and had amazing results. My question is, that when it snows on top of the scrape you made, can the bucks still smell it or do you constantly have to keep clearing the snow from it for it to stay active?

Sofa King
11-18-2013, 03:07 PM
they'll sniff it out still.
but if he's there sitting on it, it'd be crazy to not clean it up and refreshen it.

KB90
11-18-2013, 03:15 PM
I have quite a few scrapes around my bait site, often when it snows some of the scrapes won't be hit again for a little while, but what I do notice is that bucks still seek out these spots to have a sniff, there will always be a set of tracks going to check the scrape even when it is no longer visible.

300H&H
11-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Here is my question...you "make" a scrape but what do you "pour or spray" on to the dirt ? Buck urine ?

Sofa King
11-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Here is my question...you "make" a scrape but what do you "pour or spray" on to the dirt ? Buck urine ?

there's stuff you can buy.
and on every trip back in, drink plenty of water before the hike in and drain the vein to refreshen the scrape.
j/k, but who knows if you never try it.

300H&H
11-18-2013, 03:51 PM
and on every trip back in, drink plenty of water before the hike in and drain the vein to refreshen the scrape.

What is the "stuff" I can buy and where do I get it ?

Maybe Coach should put some out in front of the blind. :wink:

Sitkaspruce
11-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Mee Pee, your own urine works just fine. I pee in all the scrapes i find and they hit them hard. I have pee'd in the scrapes on the way out at night and the next morning, they will be scraped up again and buck urine smell and pee will be in the fresh snow.

Try it, you cannot go wrong.....:wink:

Cheers

SS

Ambush
11-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Mee Pee, your own urine works just fine. I pee in all the scrapes i find and they hit them hard. I have pee'd in the scrapes on the way out at night and the next morning, they will be scraped up again and buck urine smell and pee will be in the fresh snow.

Yep. No messy bottles and it's always fresh. Before climbing into my tree stand, I pee right where I'd like a buck to stop. I've many times had deer directly below me smelling where I've been peeing all day. Most animals find piss interesting.

bassplayer
11-19-2013, 09:57 AM
What is the "stuff" I can buy and where do I get it ?

Maybe Coach should put some out in front of the blind. :wink:
The stuff my bud is using is called Code Red Buck Urine. Can Tire sells it.

300H&H
11-19-2013, 05:03 PM

Cheers

SS

OK...I did try it...but my wife is pissed off at me, she says that I am not supposed to dig in her flower bed and pee in it.
I don't understand ?
I hunt VERY close to home, what am I to do ?

Steelpulse
11-19-2013, 07:13 PM

there was a study done by some university in the states, i believe it was Ohio state, or at least one of those hardcore deer hunting states where they studied bucks reaction to human urine in scrapes and it turned out to be no difference deer were sort of interested in it but not alarmed

bassplayer
11-20-2013, 12:30 AM
there was a study done by some university in the states, i believe it was Ohio state, or at least one of those hardcore deer hunting states where they studied bucks reaction to human urine in scrapes and it turned out to be no difference deer were sort of interested in it but not alarmed
I tend to believe that as i piss off the side of my tree stand all the time and it doesn't seem to bother the game as they still come in to my stand site.

Spy
11-20-2013, 12:41 AM
Lol i have been pissing round my yard to keep the deer out. Looks like im going to have to start pissing in my neighbours yard now.;-)