PDA

View Full Version : Another Whitey Down

Rhyno
11-17-2013, 07:29 PM
With the season’s end in sight and limited time to hunt due to work commitments I headed out today hoping to top up my freezer.
I left early as I wanted to explore a next spot….ok since this is my first year in the kootenays they are all new to me! First light came and went without a deer sighting. I decided it was time for plan B and headed to a spot I noticed during a camping trip. I headed up a spur and soon came across a doe and 2 fawns, quickly followed by another 2. I was starting wonder if I should park and start hiking as there appeared to be a number of deer in the area. With all those does there was bound to be a buck nearby.
I could see another deer 400 yards ish away, but couldn’t quite tell if it was a doe or buck as it was walking in the trees. Hopped out and started to walk to the spot I last saw the deer, it cleared some trees and I confirmed it was a doe. All of a sudden I could hear a fawn bleating with every step as it ran, it met up with another deer after 100 yards of this, which seemed to make it happy.
A few more steps and I looked up to the ridge on my left and could see a number of deer looking at me, there was a least 5, but I stopped counting when I saw antlers. I quickly dropped to my butt, gun on my knee. Once the cross hairs settled…BOOM. For a second I thought I missed as he bolted. To my relief he didn’t go far before keeling over. The freezer is now full…mission accomplished!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/asfound.jpg

avadad
11-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Congratulations. Gotta love filing the freezer.

B-rad
11-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Good job,,,nothin wrong with that buck at all!!

Everett
11-17-2013, 07:42 PM
That's a nice EK basket rack on him. Should be real good eating.

sobirch
11-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Sounds like a great hunt. Good on you for dropping to your butt and getting a good rest on your knees. Lots of folks may have tried a freehand shot, and if that's all you got you have to take it, but if I have the time I play it the way you did. Nice whitey

kennyj
11-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Mmmm! Nice one.
kenny

HarryToolips
11-17-2013, 10:38 PM
Sounds like a great hunt. Good on you for dropping to your butt and getting a good rest on your knees. Lots of folks may have tried a freehand shot, and if that's all you got you have to take it, but if I have the time I play it the way you did. Nice whitey
Absolutely...and congrats I hope I do the same this next weekend..

adamgarbett
11-18-2013, 05:19 AM
I guess it's safe to say the rut is firing up

hunter1947
11-18-2013, 06:37 AM
Nice EK whitetail buck you put down Rhyno http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png will be a good eater I love there winter coats at this time of the year ,,congrats getting this nice WT buck..

coach
11-18-2013, 07:18 AM
Well done, Rhyno! Nice buck.

matt420
11-18-2013, 07:37 AM
nice lookin buck,, congrats !

treehugger
11-18-2013, 09:11 AM
All in a day's work! Always exciting connecting in a new area! Congrats

sawmill
11-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Way to go!They are starting up finally.Saw a real nice buck yesterday but he was skylined at 200 yards,busted me when I tried to get a safer shot.Wife wanted me to go after him but I prefered to leave him be,not run him.He`ll be back.