PDA

View Full Version : Buying a boat, need some help!!!

rifleman
11-17-2013, 07:10 PM
please delete

Sako7
11-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Very OLD and obsolete engine!!! Going to be tuff if you need anything major. Basic service items still available.

longstonec
11-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Possibly decent boat. Think about a car of the same vintage... if you buy a 1975 car... you expect that stuff is going to be breaking alot... or you fully rebuild it...

Could be a good buy... and last you a couple summers of easy usage...(think 20-45 hours a summer)
but its doubtful. If you buy an 18foot sangster, and its a solid boat... repower it. then you will have a good boat.

But what do I know!

AlanF
11-17-2013, 08:20 PM
I think a bit more info is needed about the engine/leg and boat in general. I bought a 21' Sangster from an honest gentleman too. I was planning on doing a rebuild on it so went into it pretty much eyes wide open. Old stuff is old stuff, 40 year old boats will need a lot of work to put into a trustworthy condition. The sole was soft in one spot and I planned on replacing the sole...... rip tear.... port stringer rotten in places.... transom good except for a rotten bit - end up gut the entire boat and replace stringers, transom, deck. The boat was a runner when I bought it, but when I tore into it - manifold was toast - leg needed a whole bunch of work - all new plumbing and electrical.... on and on. I now have a solid old boat that I have spent a ton of $ on. Yup should have spent more $ initially on a newer boat. The ocean (or big lake ) is no place to be with sketchy equipment. Long and short of it ... it would need to be in minty condition and pretty cheap for me to go there again. Just did a little look see at i boats (great forum for repair) and it appears the 100 leg is indeed a real old-timer.

calvin L
11-17-2013, 08:30 PM
BOAT = Bust out another thousand

lip_ripper00
11-17-2013, 08:51 PM
1000 hrs =100,000 miles or for you metric people do the math.:mrgreen: this is the forumla boat guys use for longevity. On the flip side sitting idle for long periods of time is also detrimental. Good luck.

Sasquatch
11-17-2013, 10:54 PM
Everyone I know who has tried to save some dough buying a boat with an older motor has regretted it. The older fiberglass hulls can stay in good shape for a long time IF they are really well looked after, a 30 or 40 year old motor....much less likely - particularly if it's been run in salt.

I personally wouldn't touch it even if they were giving it to me, unless I was prepared to repower right away. Even then, I would also want to make sure there are no soft spots in the hull and that the transom is solid.

AlanF's story is all too common and anyone who's been through what he has will tell you it's cheaper and easier to just but newer gear than try and keep old boats running or to rebuild them. Once you start fixing an old boat, you quickly can get into it for so much money that you have to keep going, just because you've spent so much already....right Alan?

rifleman
11-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Thanx you guys. I have decided to look for a newer boat & motor. You guys just saved me a big head ache...
If yer ever around Poett Nook, stop in I'll buy you a beer.
CHEERS !!!

proguide66
11-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Thanx you guys. I have decided to look for a newer boat & motor. You guys just saved me a big head ache...
If yer ever around Poett Nook, stop in I'll buy you a beer.
CHEERS !!!
I have a loaded fishing boat for sale if interested , 21 Trophy , 225 merc , pm if interested ( very clean , well maintained).