PDA

View Full Version : Packing a spotter

pushbush
11-16-2013, 10:39 PM
How many of you guys actually pack a spotting scope with you while out for a day hunt and what is the frequency of it being used. What size spotter do you usually pack, is 50mm too small? and does anyone pack a doubler for their Binos, rather than a spotter.

coach
11-16-2013, 10:48 PM
I carry a 15-45x65 and use it quite often. I have a heavy tripod which is useful when I'm not hiking too far and also have a lightweight manfrotto that I strap to the outside of my pack on longer treks. Generally, I'll scan an area with my binos and the spotter gets pulled out when something needs a closer inspection.

r106
11-16-2013, 10:57 PM
It depends on the terrain I'm hunting and what and when im hunting. For deer if it's any buck in Oct, or thicker bush I won't bring it. But the area I hunt for 4 point in Nov is open country so I do would bring it. In fact I can thank having my spoting scope with me last weekend for getting my buck. As it was a small 4x4

coach
11-16-2013, 11:02 PM
I used mine the other day while accompanying my hunting partner on his MD doe draw. Good thing I did, because the "doe" we watched at 250 yards had 4 inch spikes. Might have missed that with binos, which could have made for an extremely disappointing end to the hunt.

Gateholio
11-16-2013, 11:09 PM
Totally depends on the terrain. Sometimes a spitter can save you lots of time and effort.

Sofa King
11-16-2013, 11:15 PM
i used to carry my big-ass binos.
they were Russian, but the same as those giant celestrons from Canadian tire.
they were huge and awkward, but very light and awesome for viewing.
their bulkiness was worth it for being able to see every point clearly.

hell, now i have my binos AND my dslr around my neck as i'm hiking through the hills in the deep snow.
extra weight and discomfort is well worth it if it means bagging that late-season buck.

NorBC
11-16-2013, 11:33 PM
great for goats when your trying to make dicks from tits

warnniklz
11-16-2013, 11:38 PM
^---- stealing my lines lol. Better drop one tomorrow.

On that note, that's all I had besides my rifle scope in terms of optics when I got my goat.

I usually don't pack my spotter out hunting for moose, deer and bears. But my binos are off to the warranty depot. So I'll be packing my spotter for the rest of the year... that is unless I can steal my brother's or fathers.

E.V.B.H.
11-16-2013, 11:41 PM
I pack mine quite a bit, find a good view of where you want to hunt and let your eyes do the walking. Also as stated at shooting distances it makes it much easier to count tines, tell male from female etc.

pushbush
11-16-2013, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming, what size spotter are most of you packing and would you change the size for any reason. Weight , clarity etc.

warnniklz
11-17-2013, 12:15 AM
vortex viper with a 65mm objective. I've enjoyed it so far.

Darksith
11-17-2013, 01:08 AM
if there is points that need counting due to the regs, I always have my spotter...just upgraded too...its a 50mm. Nothing is worse than not being sure because you can't get the magnification to tell if thats a spike fork moose, or if that nub is gonna measure out to count...same with 4x4 season for mulies...if my freezer is empty I will pull on a small 4x4, so sometimes it is super handy.

NorBC
11-17-2013, 02:28 PM
I have a leupold SX-1 Ventana, 60mm. good piece of glass at a good price

Ambush
11-17-2013, 04:40 PM
One of my scopes is a Nikon ED 50 and it is a breeze to carry, so it gets to come way more than the others. With the extended range capabilities of today's guns, scopes, loads and shooters a spotting scope would seem a very real asset. I often carry a scope and I don't even gun hunt. Getting too lazy to walk over and look maybe. Nice for pics to.

Maybe if more hunters used appropriate optics there'd be fewer carcasses left to rot because of bad point counts.
But I guess good optics and bad ethics would result in the same problem. :icon_frow

E.V.B.H.
11-17-2013, 04:50 PM
I think you are right Ambush. I see a lot of people that have $600 worth of Sitka gear on and $100 binos or none at all. They have never even looked through a quality pair and don't realize what they are missing out on. Optics should be your most expensive piece of gear IMO. Once you get to use quality it's really hard to go without.

358mag
11-17-2013, 04:57 PM
One of my scopes is a Nikon ED 50 and it is a breeze to carry, so it gets to come way more than the others. With the extended range capabilities of today's guns, scopes, loads and shooters a spotting scope would seem a very real asset. I often carry a scope and I don't even gun hunt. Getting too lazy to walk over and look maybe. Nice for pics to.

Maybe if more hunters used appropriate optics there'd be fewer carcasses left to rot because of bad point counts.
But I guess good optics and bad ethics would result in the same problem. :icon_frow
What type of tripod are you using with that nice baby Nikon ?

Rattler
11-17-2013, 04:57 PM
I rarely leave home without it. I carry a Swaro 20-60x65 and love it. I used this last year to id a immature bull moose at 380 yards. The 60x confirmed there wasn't any extra points on the bull after I wasn't sure looking through my partners 45x Zeiss spotter. For my tripod I use a 624 Slik CF which is light weight and super stable.

Spotting scopes can save a tonne of time, especially hunting in the alpine on spot and stalk hunts. The same can be said when chasing goats and sheep. Deer especially can be difficult to judge in the 4pt season when there is no snow and their antlers are in a dark background.

Lastly if your looking for something special having a spotting scope allows you to really look them over. Taking pictures through the scope is also a good way to capture the hunt and animals you have looked at...

Ambush
11-17-2013, 05:09 PM
What type of tripod are you using with that nice baby Nikon ?

For years I've been using a 30 year old Bushnell bench tripod that I adapted light weight collapsing legs to. It has a very precise rotary knob adjustment for up and down, plus a smooth horizontal sweep. Perfect for grid searching.

I would like to find a compact, light, smooth tripod just for the ED 50. It's an angled body so I don't need too much height. But the one I'm using is just so user friendly.

rocksteady
11-17-2013, 10:08 PM
During elk season, when I am trying to confirm a 6th point I always have it on me.

I do not pack a tripod. I pack a buschnell window mount receiver, which opens wide enough, that I can put it onto the barrel of my gun right by the forestock... Then I pop down and extend tge legs of my bipod. Instant tripod, works fairly well, us a lot lighter thN a full size tripod.

bosca
11-17-2013, 10:26 PM
I only pack my spotter in when i am doing scouting trips...or stays in the truck. i have a hand window mounting bracket for spotting from the truck.

fireguy
11-17-2013, 11:06 PM
90% of the time I pack my spotter with me.

Vortex Razor 20 - 60 x 85 and use it quite a bit. Vortex summit ss tripod works well for packing. I don't worry to much about weight though on my day trips and it i can still pack a deer out with it in my pack no problem.

boxhitch
11-17-2013, 11:13 PM
As mentioned a spotter is almost mandatory for counting tines . Nothing more frustrating than to have to let a critter walk because of not having the added optic power to see properly.
Conversely , it is very satisfying to drop the hammer on something that others had passed up due to lack of i.d.

For counting points , an older Bausch and Lomb Elite , same as Nikon Prostaff or Redfield is small and easy to have around all the time. Its smaller than my thermos , and I'd leave the thermos behind before leaving the spotter.
Usually just use the V-top on a monopod shooting stick for a support
Also carry a window mount for use in the truck , and have a couple of screw-in mounts to put in stumps or posts to use the scope in favourite spots.

GoatGuy
11-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Use just about all the time. Have a Swarovski 65mm. Usually don't pack a gun so the weight thing balances out.

pushbush
11-23-2013, 07:04 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone