PDA

View Full Version : Hunting mule deer in the snow

sportsman77
11-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Should I change up my strategy for hunting mule deer in 1 + foot of snow. Do they have their same habits. Where do they go?

Ps. Hunting surrey lake area, everywhere has lots of snow

Sofa King
11-16-2013, 08:08 PM
nothing to change.
it's even easier now as you know where they are and where they've been.

i'm still chasing whiteys around up high on the connector.

Salty
11-16-2013, 08:36 PM
I was just reading in a book that some study in the states showed that anything more than a foot of snow and deer would rather be somewhere else if they have a choice it starts to take a fair bit of energy moving around. I think I'd buy that theory for the most part, that's why its important to have leave strips in logging the way its done now to leave stands of mature timber for deer to winter in. There's always more snow pack in the open than in a fairly thick mature forest floor snow gets hung up in the trees even evaporates some up there and less snow makes it to the deck. If I was in your shoes sportsman any tracks I saw heading in to the trees, I'd be on them and be prepared to follow them a ways.

Sofa King
11-16-2013, 08:42 PM
definitely get on and follow any track that seems like a good buck.
it's not hard to catch up to them and get a look.

Sofa King
11-16-2013, 08:45 PM
I was just reading in a book that some study in the states showed that anything more than a foot of snow and deer would rather be somewhere else if they have a choice it starts to take a fair bit of energy moving around. I think I'd buy that theory for the most part, that's why its important to have leave strips in logging the way its done now to leave stands of mature timber for deer to winter in. There's always more snow pack in the open than in a fairly thick mature forest floor snow gets hung up in the trees even evaporates some up there and less snow makes it to the deck. If I was in your shoes sportsman any tracks I saw heading in to the trees, I'd be on them and be prepared to follow them a ways.

studies are shit.
i hate reading/hearing about this study and that study.
most of the time it's all common sense.
I've even seen a study on studies.

a foot of snow is nothing to deer.
there's easily that and more in most their winter ranges.

sportsman77
11-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys! Will doo

Salty
11-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Good luck sportsman

Sofa King
11-16-2013, 08:57 PM
when following their tracks, i like to get off and flank them a bit.
keep them in sight but don't follow their exact path.
and always be scanning every little area well ahead of you.
he could be bedded down just ahead.
and most times following tracks, i'll eventually find that he stopped and stood several times watching his backtrail.

sapper
11-17-2013, 01:13 PM
hi Sportsman77. We were up that way last weekend. We did find one spot with a ton of tracks and, wouldn't you know it, that's the spot that we were heading into to spend the afternoon when my buddy's truck slid off into the ditch. So much for the afternoon hunt and the next morning's hunt.
We, and other hunters up there, were surprised at how skittish the deer we did see were though. One hunter mentioned that he'd never seen a doe clear a clearcut as quickly.
Be careful up there as the roads were all quite slick.