PDA

View Full Version : Mule deer hunting region 3.. 3-19

sportsman77
11-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Hello everyone.. I'm new to hunting and I'm going to surrey lake Sussex lake area. There's quite a a bit of snow up their every where, high and low. Any ideas where I should start. Because I was reading The deer move lower down when the snow comes but there's snow everywhere up their. Even at the lowest points! So should I be worrying about elevation? And also If you have any tips or tricks on hunting in that area at this time of year would help a lot!

Thanks!

250 sav
11-16-2013, 04:28 PM
when you have snow find tracks and go for a walk.

sportsman77
11-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Thanks! So what elevation should I start at?

Just
11-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Im new too, and found some tracks up Depot Creek today at Chilliwack Lake. Followed them up the snow covered fsr road until they led off the road then into the timber we went and the tracks disappeared. Pretty sure the tracks were made by a sasquatch cause aint no bucks up the Chilliwack Valley. Good luck around surrey lake. I'll be heading north next hunt for sure. F@#$ Chilliwack Valley!

r106
11-16-2013, 04:41 PM
I would start as high as you can get. look for tracks, if your not seeing much then move down. They are rutting now so look for doe's. Right now they will be with a doe, looking for a doe or resting

hoochie
11-16-2013, 04:45 PM
cause aint no bucks up the Chilliwack Valley.

have you gone to Chilliwack lake? the clear cuts just before the lake? go glass that. no kidding.

Just
11-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Ya we spent two hours after hiking ten up at depot creek. Found sign around Ford Mt. where we saw a doe and fawn three weeks ago, tried calling, glassing and all in beuty deery territory, big timber with knee high veg. Only thing we herd was another guy only two cut blocks away target shooting. Each shot just made things worse. Unblievable since all the fresh snow around. Thought for sure today was the day we would see a buck. No dice. Hoping to hike up Pierce or Borden this week, maybe the timing and area might work better.

Just
11-16-2013, 06:32 PM
we Went first up to Chilliwack lake past Depot and hiked to the end of Chilli lake wanting to hunt the trail up to Hanging lake but had to stop and turn around cause we came to a sign that said it was pretected as an ecological reserve and hunting fishing trapping were all not aloud. Sucked cause the sign was 2k from the truck and it was all a waste to get there just at first lite. Oh well , never goin back there, lesson learned, will do better home work next time!

bruin
11-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Spent the last 2 days in 3-19A looking for a moose. Most of the game is holding pretty tight to the timber, could be the steady stream of guys cruising the roads! There's deer from the bottom of Greenstone all the way up to the top at Helmer. You're going to have to locate some fresh tracks and go for a walk in some open timber. There's good snow and sign at the bottom of timber lake rd as well as the west side of greenstone mtn. Lots of people so get off the beaten track.

Weatherby Fan
11-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Thanks! So what elevation should I start at?

Hunt up till your out of any sign.....work your way back down to the elevation where your seeing the most fresh sign/tracks and hunt at that elevation......every area will differ depending on snow level and feed.