PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Pelts

B-rad
11-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows where to sell coyote pelts in the kamloops area,,,,,and if so,,,can the coyotes be skinned regularly or do they have to be stretched

boxhitch
11-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Skin it , roll it up and freeze it , call the local trapper
Contacts can be found on the BCTA site

T300WSM
11-16-2013, 06:06 PM
I talked to a trapper....He said do not bring them to me....no money for them waste of time.

Dannybuoy
11-16-2013, 07:15 PM
I used to skin, stretch and dry them and mail them to Vancouver fur auction ..... its been a few years so not sure if its still done that way ?

leadpillproductions
11-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Wonder what a coyote hide is selling at the fur traders this year

B-rad
11-16-2013, 09:32 PM
So pretty much shooting em just waste of ammo then?? I love to hunt em,,,was just hoping something productive to do with them,,,,,I've shot 4 already and passed up few shots,,,tons of coyotes in kamloops area this year

pnbrock
11-16-2013, 09:54 PM
keep shooting the fawn killers!!!

boxhitch
11-16-2013, 10:18 PM
shooting em just waste of ammo then?? I love to hunt em,,sounds contradictory ?

Call a trapper . Just because one guy is too lazy to get one to market doesn't mean another trapper won't be interested.
You have to be a licensed trapper and connected to a registered line to be able to send to the auction I think.

finngun
11-16-2013, 10:44 PM
So pretty much shooting em just waste of ammo then?? I love to hunt em,,,was just hoping something productive to do with them,,,,,I've shot 4 already and passed up few shots,,,tons of coyotes in kamloops area this year

no it is not
just waste of ammo...practice makes yu perfect...and more deer.+.another animals next year

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
11-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Here in Alberta, Coyote prices have been none too shabby from what I hear. I am not a Trapper (though it is something I have an interest in and may well get to in the future) and as such am not overtly familiar with fur markets in general nor of prices and how to sell fur in BC.

Some people simply shoot Coyotes and let that be the end of their involvement, leaving the carcass for scavengers including other Coyotes. Personally I am not a fan of that action, to say the least!

There is alot that can be done with a coyote outside of selling them. For one, they are edible. Why not give one a try in the pot? Recipes are out there! One can never know if that just might become a favourite meat until it has been tried and very few can say Coyote is something they've had to eat! I have yet to do so but shall with the next one I get.

Beyond that, they do have fantastic fur that alot can be done with. Clothes/garments can be made (how about a pair of mitts or a scarf?), pelts for decore and one thing in particular I have in mind is to make a Coyote blanket from ones I will harvest myself. For a large blanket approximately king to queen size it should take about 16 - 20 average size Coyotes arranged in squares.

Obviously with just a little bit of thought it is plain to see just how useful your Coyote endeavours can be!

john.b
11-16-2013, 11:30 PM
if you felt so inclined I suppose you could throw the pelts on craigslist? or is that not allowed?

decker9
11-17-2013, 05:47 AM
No $$ in coyotes!?!? Last winter was the best fur prices iv seen for coyotes, heavy ones upwards of $80-$100, and the top lot sold for over $600! Best bet is to case skin them and freeze. Ill gladly take any coyotes in the 6-04 area that don't require a bunch of stitches. Can't say I'd buy them, but very gladly take'm! ;)

Dannybuoy
11-17-2013, 09:02 AM
sounds contradictory ?

Call a trapper . Just because one guy is too lazy to get one to market doesn't mean another trapper won't be interested.
You have to be a licensed trapper and connected to a registered line to be able to send to the auction I think.
No you don't need to have trappers licence for yotes or to sell at auction ... Pete on this site would be the best source for any info on fur bearing critters .

phoenix
11-17-2013, 09:19 AM
I've been having trouble finding anyone to take mine for the last couple of years. Check with the BC Trappers Association for a member near you.
Kim

bc traper
11-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Will take them if not badly damaged 3-31 3-30 3-17

darrin6109
11-17-2013, 12:01 PM
4 x 9 coyote blanket $4900.00. I'd say they are worth something......http://www.furcanada.com/fur-blankets-fur-comforter-alberta-pale-coyotes.html

pete_k
11-17-2013, 12:12 PM
4 x 9 coyote blanket $4900.00. I'd say they are worth something......http://www.furcanada.com/fur-blankets-fur-comforter-alberta-pale-coyotes.html

I hear ya. but it's alot of labour to get from a live animal to an odor free, soft, lined and insulated blanket like that.

Be interesting to know the answer to the OP's question.
What's a coyote cape worth? Unfleshed, untanned, stinky and frozen with a bullet hole.

I thought there was a guy in Falkland area who took capes of all types. Deer and dogs, any size antlers.

bc traper
11-17-2013, 12:38 PM
In my opinion if you can find a trapper that will take them off your hands that is as good a deal as you are going to get By the time you wash the blood out dry board and sew up the holes there is not a lot to be made selling them

leadpillproductions
11-18-2013, 07:05 AM
Question for those who have skinned , cleaned,fleshed,sewed hole and stretched how long is the whole process take from start to finish.

Wild one
11-18-2013, 08:32 AM
The region 3 coyotes I sent into NAFA last years averaged around $50 and that is stretched and dried. Yes, coyotes can go for a lot more but that depends on colour, and quality of fur. Coyotes you see going for a $100+ are usually coming out of Alberta, Saskatchewan, and northern BC were they are better quality.

As for how long it takes to put them up depends on who is doing it. For myself I will guess it takes me around a 1/2 hour but I have put up a good amount of fur. I know there are trappers out there that are faster than me. Speed comes with practice so expect it to take longer if you have never done it

Personally I would never buy a coyote that was taken from a predator hunter in southern BC. The quality of coyotes and the work involved for what I would get would not be worth it for me. A coyote that has been shot instead of trapped will involve more work do to blood and sewing holes. Also depending on the damage from the shot the fur may get down graded.

In my opinion it is worth putting up and selling coyotes if you harvest them your self but if you are buying them it cuts into the bottom line too much. If you are pred hunting you might as well put up the fur and ship it as it can help pay for your hobby

.300WSMImpact!
11-18-2013, 08:40 AM
in Manitoba the trappers are paying $20 to $50 un-skinned, but it is tough for a regular joe to find a trapper willing to pay, I am sure if you stick you nose to the grind stone you can someone to buy them

Wild one
11-18-2013, 08:48 AM
in Manitoba the trappers are paying $20 to $50 un-skinned, but it is tough for a regular joe to find a trapper willing to pay, I am sure if you stick you nose to the grind stone you can someone to buy them

Yes but those coyotes will be a lot better quality than what will come out of most of BC

When it comes down to what you get for fur there is a lot that comes into play. Just like marten in BC some regions you may see less than $100 average well others will be $150+.

leadpillproductions
11-18-2013, 12:35 PM
So 50.00 a pelt if a guy can get 2 done a hr shit even 1 done a hr after hes good at it . That's still worth the time pays for a new toy

tomcat
11-18-2013, 01:48 PM
As for how long it takes to put them up depends on who is doing it. For myself I will guess it takes me around a 1/2 hour but I have put up a good amount of fur. I know there are trappers out there that are faster than me. Speed comes with practice so expect it to take longer if you have never done it.
If you can prepare a coyote pelt for the fur market in 1/2 hour you are extremely proficient at it. By preparation I mean skin, flesh, board the pelt, remove the pelt from board, turn pelt and reboard and clean the fur. I have done quite a few myself and without a power winch to assist in removing the hide the process is more like an hour and one half, at best.

B-rad
11-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Takes me 20 min to skin,,,,,20 min to flesh,,,,5 min to board,,,,then day 2,,, takes bout 15 min to reverse stretch and comb,,,,,I am waaaaaaaay slower than many other people,,,,

Wild one
11-18-2013, 02:36 PM
If you can prepare a coyote pelt for the fur market in 1/2 hour you are extremely proficient at it. By preparation I mean skin, flesh, board the pelt, remove the pelt from board, turn pelt and reboard and clean the fur. I have done quite a few myself and without a power winch to assist in removing the hide the process is more like an hour and one half, at best.

Skinned, fleshed, and boarded I am guessing 1/2 hour is a guess as I have not timed it maybe longer. If still a little frozen defiantly longer but I try to avoid this. I don't use a winch just knife, gambrel I can adjust height, and lots of body weight.

No, this is not including turning it fur out the next day, re pinning, or brushing. No real clue on time with this because if I have fur drying it is every morning turning, wiping off any grease, pinning, or hanging fur. I don't find any of this really time consuming

Never watched the clock with any of it so would not be shocked my times are off.

I don't find coyotes bad to work on. Beaver on the other hand I am slow as hell and they are not worth my time.

boxhitch
11-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Doesn't include throwing them through the wash cycle either , but it makes a difference in the final product.

two-feet
11-18-2013, 03:30 PM
How about if a fella had a wolf hide? Worth a bit more i am assuming?

skibum
11-18-2013, 04:07 PM
How about if a fella had a wolf hide? Worth a bit more i am assuming?

I heard trappers won't even bother with wolf -- apparently get under $20 per pelt. Don't understand why a yote would be more?

tomcat
11-18-2013, 04:38 PM
I heard trappers won't even bother with wolf -- apparently get under $20 per pelt. Don't understand why a yote would be more?
Trappers in BC process a lot of wolves. They are basically double the value of coyotes but take 3-4 times the work to prepare properly for the market. The average wolf price last Feb at the NAFA sale was $142 compared to an average of $95 for heavy grade coyotes and $61 for semi grades.

two-feet
11-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Interesting. So my dreams of being a professional wolf hunter are shot. Guess i will have to follow my original plan of pro pit fighter

tomcat
11-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Takes me 20 min to skin,,,,,20 min to flesh,,,,5 min to board,,,,then day 2,,, takes bout 15 min to reverse stretch and comb,,,,,I am waaaaaaaay slower than many other people,,,,
If you are that good at putting them up why not do it and ship to the auctions.

Pete
11-18-2013, 08:11 PM
I have offered several times on this site to instruct coyote hunters in the proper way of putting up coyotes for market. The offer is still there. If you shoot a coyote you can call me and bring him to my shop and we will put him up.

bc traper
11-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Like Tomcat said If you can prep the pelt in that time why are you not shipping them That way you could also pay the royalty drumming fees and the auction charges

phoenix
11-18-2013, 09:55 PM
I have offered several times on this site to instruct coyote hunters in the proper way of putting up coyotes for market. The offer is still there. If you shoot a coyote you can call me and bring him to my shop and we will put him up.
Where in the valley are you?
Kim

Pete
11-19-2013, 08:12 AM
Where in the valley are you?
Kim My shop is in the Coldstream....Vernon

biggyun68
11-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Question for the trappers: If a serious coyote hunter is giving you their hides would you not feel compelled to trade something in return? Information, Cabin time, Liquor, knowledge etc???

It seems to this not so smart former rugby player that some one giving you a pelt is giving you a item worth $15-$20 after an hour of work on the low end? Given you are not going take a hide you cannot process for market.

So I am thinking given 1 coyote hide a week for half a year that is 25 hides or at minimum $450? You have 10 people in a 50 mile radius from your house, assuming the other person will be willing to drive 50 miles to meet you (because the hides are worth something) and that is an extra $4500 of income a year... I mean a good bottle of single malt is $100-$150... Hey that money in cash to kid is significant too:

Not saying every trapper can do that though - but it makes you go hmmmm!!!

Wild one
11-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Question for the trappers: If a serious coyote hunter is giving you their hides would you not feel compelled to trade something in return? Information, Cabin time, Liquor, knowledge etc???

It seems to this not so smart former rugby player that some one giving you a pelt is giving you a item worth $15-$20 after an hour of work on the low end? Given you are not going take a hide you cannot process for market.

So I am thinking given 1 coyote hide a week for half a year that is 25 hides or at minimum $450? You have 10 people in a 50 mile radius from your house, assuming the other person will be willing to drive 50 miles to meet you (because the hides are worth something) and that is an extra $4500 of income a year... I mean a good bottle of single malt is $100-$150... Hey that money in cash to kid is significant too:

Not saying every trapper can do that though - but it makes you go hmmmm!!!

For coyote pelts that are worth sending to auction the window for harvest is more like 3 months. A coyote that has been shot is most often more work sewing up holes and cleaning blood from the hide and a good chance it will be down graded.

Most often trappers will be catching coyotes and other species on their own so taking on a hide that involves extra work takes away time from putting up your own fur. There are a good number of species that are more profitable for the trapper to invest time in either do to higher value, less work involved or a combo of both. There are times a trapper can be swamped skinning their own fur. Example if I had a nights work on, coyotes, cats, weasel, marten, or any other mix I will be busy and it is a lot more profitable. It is possible for a trapper to have very little extra time during the season. The fur # some guys bring in can be surprisingly high.

It may seem like it is a good idea for a trapper to take on coyotes from a pred hunter but that is not always the case. Like I posted coyotes in most of BC do not command the $ of Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba where it can be common for some trappers to buy coyotes. If you take a region 2 coyote for example first you will find most have mange and the ones that don't you are lucky to get $30. Coyotes are not a big $ fur in BC.

Time management is a big part of it.

Yes, if decided I had time to take on coyotes from a pred hunter that seemed worth while I would give him a gift when my fur check came. This way I would know what I actually received for the coyotes as auctions are a gamble. There is not even close to a set rate when it comes to fur. As for Knowledge if you build a good relationship with a trapper odds are that would be given regardless of hides.

In my opinion a pred hunter is better off learning and taking the time to put up their own fur if they would like to get any $ for it. It will be more profitable for them and they will understand why most trappers are not jumping up for the extra work. If it was easy to make $ from fur all trappers would be rich

This is just my opinion on the issue

tomcat
11-19-2013, 09:53 AM
[QUOTE=Wild one;]
In my opinion a pred hunter is better off learning and taking the time to put up their own fur if they would like to get any $ for it. It will be more profitable for them and they will understand why most trappers are not jumping up for the extra work. If it was easy to make $ from fur all trappers would be rich
[QUOTE]
I agree and your other commentary is quite appropriate.

Mr. Dean
11-19-2013, 10:39 AM
I haven't met a trapper yet that would stop and bend over for a 50 dollar bill the he dropped.

:razz:

Pete
11-19-2013, 06:39 PM
There is a lot more to coyotes and their fur than most here realize. The coyote you have just shot, in your eyes may be a thing of beauty, but in the world of the fur buyer it may not be what you think it is. your coyote will be one of the 500,000 that will be up for auction, and there are 3-4 a year. By the time the pelt has been processed, drummed and shipped all of your hard work may only bring $5 at auction and by the time you figure out your costs you are in the hole.