PDA

View Full Version : Our Hunt Was Interfered With

Whonnock Boy
11-15-2013, 11:24 PM
A couple friends, and myself were out on the weekend. On Saturday we bumped into a trio of hunters while cruising the roads in an area I was not all that familiar with. We said our hello's, and went about our business. We later chatted with another fella that told us of some bulls hanging around that same area that some friends of his were trying to fulfill their LEH's with. The next morning we planned to go into the same area, and position ourselves in a spot that we could glass a huge section of land in hopes of spotting an immature, or a good buck.

Sunday morning heading in, the first trio of guys were parked in the middle of the road about 2 kilometers from where we wanted to be. We waited for a bit thinking he would get going, or move over. It was just light enough to glass especially in the wide open snow covered slashes, and we were eager to proceed. He didn't make a move so I got out, and went to talk with him.

I knocked on the window, and as it rolled down I said my good mornings. I got to the point pretty quickly asking if he was going to get moving, or let us by. He declined on both parts. "We were here first", and "you should have gotten here earlier" was his basis for the discussion. I mentioned in our conversation that there was miles of roads that he was blocking. It didn't take long for me to inform him that what he was doing was interfering with a lawful hunt, and in fact told him twice. That fact did not change his tune. In the end I informed him that I would be taking his license plate, and contacting the CO. About 15 minutes after we were first stopped they started up, and we were on our way. While waiting I took video logs of both the truck, and clock on the radio to record the incident.

There is one part of this story that I have omitted so far. The trio of men in the vehicle were aboriginal. Before talking with the CO I had my doubts that anything would come of this. Possibilities of it being their traditional territory, or just simply it is something that they don't want to touch with a ten foot pole. After speaking with him it sounds like he is going to pursue it as they had no authority to stop me, and he will let me know how it proceeds. I still have my doubts, and we shall see.....

Update

Finally after many months of delays the Conservation office was given the go ahead to issue a ticket to the individual. Delays involved finding out who in fact had the band truck in question at the time, and then tracking down said individual, as well as in house delays due to under staffing.

The issuance of the ticket needed to be approved by Crown before the Conservation office could proceed. Public safety was the basis of the argument, and the Conservation office is hoping it will prevent the individual from doing this again. The ticket can however be disputed, and I will be notified if it is. It was disputed by the individual in his statement, but with the video evidence the officer believed the events as I claimed, and we are standing on solid ground with any further proceedings. There is also no evidence of the individual being under the umbrella of the Bands territory in which this happened.

gutpile
11-15-2013, 11:32 PM
ass holes !

Blktail
11-15-2013, 11:34 PM
Press for YOUR rights.

remington666
11-15-2013, 11:35 PM
ignorant *******s

Sofa King
11-15-2013, 11:35 PM
don't see what could possibly be done.
Indians are allowed to block roads.

you need a bigger truck.
shoulda just come up easy behind them and nudged them off the road.
what did you do then, just leave?
you guys shoulda jammed your horn on, then got out and walked ahead of them shooting a round off every so often.
they ruined your day, shoulda returned the favour.

Jelvis
11-15-2013, 11:40 PM
At what Exit? I guess Exit 315 the coq?

Whonnock Boy
11-15-2013, 11:42 PM
Sorry guys.... edited to say that we were on our way after 15 minutes.

The Dawg
11-15-2013, 11:44 PM
....at least they were waiting for daylight.....

Liptugger
11-16-2013, 01:02 AM
Regaudless of race, its wrong.

mungojeerie
11-16-2013, 02:17 AM
Sorry to hear your day started out that way... not how it was envisioned Im sure... I also have pretty low hopes anything will come of the CO looking into it... but hey you did the right thing. Step back, observe, record and report....

You never know what kind of lunatic is blocking your way. Starting a fight, trying to get pushy and physical or ruining their hunt by firing off rounds could provoke any number of reaction... I'd rather miss a good area and possibly an animal than have someone start firing shots at me or something... Life is too short, and that kind of BS is what I hit the bush to avoid in the first place anyway.

A number of years back I received written permission from a company with a large gold claim not far from PG, I was told the land was posted as no trespass under the Mine Act... I was quite excited to get Moose hunting in an area that would be void of hunters, so with permission & provided topo maps in hand, we were off.

Got there to find that apparently no one cared about the posted area, there were dozens of other hunting parties there including one camp that had 3 wall tents. Found the remains of a calf moose poached the day prior to opening, and Someone who decided set up there entire camp; wall tent included right smack dab in the middle of a FSR at its start. When we talked to the group they informed us that they set up there because the road dead ended a cpl hundred yards up and there was no where for anyone to go anyway.

We picked at some other roads thinking they would get in the back of that area but they didn't... And on our last day we noticed that the campers had left... and decided to see what lay beyond.... Im not sure what was all back there because we never reached an end... the road branched several times and we traveled for Kilometers through some sweet moose habitat.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
11-16-2013, 02:53 AM
It is a shame to hear about a hunt interfered with. Always a sorry thing to read... I hope the remainder of your season goes well and that you fill your tag Sir.

RB2
11-16-2013, 03:01 AM
A couple friends, and myself were out on the weekend. On Saturday we bumped into a trio of hunters while cruising the roads in an area I was not all that familiar with. We said our hello's, and went about our business. We later chatted with another fella that told us of some bulls hanging around that same area that some friends of his were trying to fulfill their LEH's with. The next morning we planned to go into the same area, and position ourselves in a spot that we could glass a huge section of land in hopes of spotting an immature, or a good buck.

Sunday morning heading in, the first trio of guys were parked in the middle of the road about 2 kilometers from where we wanted to be. We waited for a bit thinking he would get going, or move over. It was just light enough to glass especially in the wide open snow covered slashes, and we were eager to proceed. He didn't make a move so I got out, and went to talk with him.

I knocked on the window, and as it rolled down I said my good mornings. I got to the point pretty quickly asking if he was going to get moving, or let us by. He declined on both parts. "We were here first", and "you should have gotten here earlier" was his basis for the discussion. I mentioned in our conversation that there was miles of roads that he was blocking. It didn't take long for me to inform him that what he was doing was interfering with a lawful hunt, and in fact told him twice. That fact did not change his tune. In the end I informed him that I would be taking his license plate, and contacting the CO. About 15 minutes after we were first stopped they started up, and we were on our way. While waiting I took video logs of both the truck, and clock on the radio to record the incident.

There is one part of this story that I have omitted so far. The trio of men in the vehicle were aboriginal. Before talking with the CO I had my doubts that anything would come of this. Possibilities of it being their traditional territory, or just simply it is something that they don't want to touch with a ten foot pole. After speaking with him it sounds like he is going to pursue it as they had no authority to stop me, and he will let me know how it proceeds. I still have my doubts, and we shall see.....

I sure hope the CO does pursue it. enough is enough.

longrifle
11-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Well, looking at it from a different angle it could be construed that you were interfering with their lawful hunt as well, given that they were there before you...The argument could be made that ethically you were in the wrong as well. A quick question, did you convoy behind them as they went up the road? Also, was there only one road that accessed the area in question?

The fact that the folks in question were abo is totally irrelevant to the situation as it could have been anyone that was waiting for enough light so that they were comfortable with starting their hunt.

I'm not condoning the behaviour of the people in the first truck but I'm also not supporting your argument either.

'rifle

Brayden
11-16-2013, 09:49 AM
It's so unfortunate hearing this stuff, because 99% of guys out there are kind, respectful and courteous. Too bad.

Blainer
11-16-2013, 09:51 AM
Well, looking at it from a different angle it could be construed that you were interfering with their lawful hunt as well, given that they were there before you...The argument could be made that ethically you were in the wrong as well. A quick question, did you convoy behind them as they went up the road? Also, was there only one road that accessed the area in question?

The fact that the folks in question were abo is totally irrelevant to the situation as it could have been anyone that was waiting for enough light so that they were comfortable with starting their hunt.

I'm not condoning the behaviour of the people in the first truck but I'm also not supporting your argument either.

'rifle
what they did was ILLEGAL!!
END OF POINT!
THE LAW IS THE LAW!

coach
11-16-2013, 09:56 AM

'rifle

Sorry. I completely disagree with your point of view. There's no excuse for anyone to block an FSR.

hawk-i
11-16-2013, 09:57 AM

'rifle

Are you one of the guys from the first truck?

Whonnock Boy
11-16-2013, 10:10 AM

'rifle

I will answer your questions just to appease you. Yes, we did "convoy" behind them, and the road does loop. Unfortunately to do "the loop" it takes a lot longer, and the likelihood of making it over the top with the snow was nonexistent. You CANNOT block any fsr's for any reason, and expecting someone to hold back while you "road hunt" is ludicrous. Get out of the way for the other vehicle no matter who is driving it. In any case, you have no idea what you are talking about.

longrifle
11-16-2013, 10:13 AM
what they did was ILLEGAL!!
END OF POINT!
THE LAW IS THE LAW!

Which party are you referring to?

Sorry. I completely disagree with your point of view. There's no excuse for anyone to block an FSR.

Is there an excuse for someone trying to push by someone who was waiting to start their hunt?

Are you one of the guys from the first truck?

Nope, and what if I was?

'rifle

longrifle
11-16-2013, 10:16 AM
I will answer your questions just to appease you. Yes, we did "convoy" behind them, and the road does loop. Unfortunately to do "the loop" it takes a lot longer, and the likelihood of making it over the top with the snow was nonexistent. You CANNOT block any fsr's for any reason, and expecting someone to hold back while you "road hunt" is ludicrous. Get out of the way for the other vehicle no matter who is driving it. In any case, you have no idea what you are talking about.

So technically it sounds like you were interfering with their hunt as well because you admit to convoying behind them, potentially spooking anything that they may have come upon...

'rifle

aggiehunter
11-16-2013, 10:26 AM
don't hold your breath on anything happening....

finngun
11-16-2013, 10:27 AM
....at least they were waiting for daylight.....

now with new technology,,no waiting daylight anymore...no road blocking:mrgreen: only for the serious night hunters..

ATN Aries 390 Paladin Nightvision Riflescope (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/ATN-Nightvision-Sale%7C/pc/105625080/c/468202680/ATN-Aries-390-Paladin-Nightvision-Riflescope/748616.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId% 3D468202680%26WT.tsrc%3DEML%26WT.mc_id%3Demail-nl%26eid%3D12731222%26cmp%3DEP20131116%26seg%3DEPP 0ALL%26cnt%3D10595%26ctb%3DSUBFEAT4&WTz_l=EML%3Bcat468202680)
Sale!
$549.99

Blainer
11-16-2013, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=longrifle;1416367]Which party are you referring to?

gotta be a clown in every crowd

hawk-i
11-16-2013, 10:31 AM
So technically it sounds like you were interfering with their hunt as well because you admit to convoying behind them, potentially spooking anything that they may have come upon...

'rifle

Give your head a shake.....the party blocking access is the one interferring!!!

Whonnock Boy
11-16-2013, 10:34 AM

'rifle

Haha! I will add this.... If they had let us by, and not 5 feet passed them a legal animal walked out onto the road, we legally could have shot it with no recourse on their part. We could have even been behind them while a legal animal was spotted by both parties, and if we were able to get the shot off first they would have had no legal recourse as well. You just don't get it do you?

Ozone
11-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Did you not have any rope/straps to start moving them?

Whonnock Boy
11-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Did you not have any rope/straps to start moving them?
Sure, but we were not about to get into a situation where things could escalate. The section of road was just wide enough for two vehicles to pass, and they were right in the middle. We could have tried to maneuver around but, with the snow there was a possibility of getting stuck, and or damaging the vehicles.

coach
11-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Sure, but we were not about to get into a situation where things could escalate. The section of road was just wide enough for two vehicles to pass, and they were right in the middle. We could have tried to maneuver around but, with the snow there was a possibility of getting stuck, and or damaging the vehicles.

Sounds to me like you did everything right. No reason whatsoever to get into a confrontation. Often I ask myself, "what would Duallie do?" Then I go in the exact opposite direction. :-D It sucks that there are people out there who feel justified in blocking roads or access - especially when the areas they are blocking are quite large.

Blainer
11-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Sounds to me like you did everything right. No reason whatsoever to get into a confrontation. Often I ask myself, "what would Duallie do?" Then I go in the exact opposite direction. :-D It sucks that there are people out there who feel justified in blocking roads or access - especially when the areas they are blocking are quite large.That was quite funny!

BearStump
11-16-2013, 11:56 AM
yeah these guys are dipshits for blocking a fsr. But seriously dude, you went intentionally to a spot that you knew was being hunted by 3 other guys for their leh moose. If i were them,well, I wouldnt have told you about the spot in the first place, and if I did, I wouldnt let you by either. Thats a pretty dick move, when they told you that they spotted moose and were going back in the morning for them, and you show up bitchin for them to move or you'll tell. At least thats how your story reads. Maybe I'm missinterpereting.

pete_k
11-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Good on you. Thanks for posting.

I won't mention names. A month or two ago I know a guy in PG who came across a group who were camped on a road which accessed 100's of km of old roads.
He was there very early and started pounding on camper doors (not polite knocking either). He got them to get out of their trailers and move their stuff off the road. Then drove on through the camp. On the way back out he just drove through the camp knocking over a bit of crap around the fire pit with his truck. They were all still inside hungover probably.

longrifle
11-16-2013, 12:47 PM
gotta be a clown in every crowd[/QUOTE]

looking in a mirror were you...??

Give your head a shake.....the party blocking access is the one interferring!!!

Really, are you sure??

Haha! I will add this.... If they had let us by, and not 5 feet passed them a legal animal walked out onto the road, we legally could have shot it with no recourse on their part. We could have even been behind them while a legal animal was spotted by both parties, and if we were able to get the shot off first they would have had no legal recourse as well. You just don't get it do you?

I agree with the first part of your statement, but, are you sure about the second point?? As far as 'getting it,' I get it far more thoroughly than you realize W'boy...

Whonnock Boy
11-16-2013, 12:49 PM
yeah these guys are dipshits for blocking a fsr. But seriously dude, you went intentionally to a spot that you knew was being hunted by 3 other guys for their leh moose. If i were them,well, I wouldnt have told you about the spot in the first place, and if I did, I wouldnt let you by either. Thats a pretty dick move, when they told you that they spotted moose and were going back in the morning for them, and you show up bitchin for them to move or you'll tell. At least thats how your story reads. Maybe I'm missinterpereting.
We went into the area, and found the most moose sign in any of the areas we had been in. I had already got my own immature, my other buddy shot a four point on Saturday, my other partner was looking for moose, and that is what he was most interested in. We spotted a small bull the first day in there as in, just a point or two too big, and that is where we were going to hunt. They never gave us their hunting schedule for the Sunday, and even if they did, we had as much right to hunt there as anyone. It's not called misinterpreting, it's called assuming. On a side note, where we went we spotted a cow close enough for a shot if it was a legal bull.

davet
11-16-2013, 01:00 PM
I would have cut down a tree and block their route out LOL. sorry thats not helping i guess that is what i get like driving in vancouver traffic..

But if they were natives why do they have an LEH tag? I thought they can shoot whatever they want.

Whonnock Boy
11-16-2013, 01:03 PM
But if they were natives why do they have an LEH tag?

There was two different groups. One being resident hunters with LEH's, and the second was the group of aboriginals.

davet
11-16-2013, 01:05 PM
There was two different groups. One being resident hunters with LEH's, and the second was the group of aboriginals.
oh ok. So i wonder how many they came out with.

longrifle
11-16-2013, 01:08 PM
We went into the area, and found the most moose sign in any of the areas we had been in. I had already got my own immature, my other buddy shot a four point on Saturday, my other partner was looking for moose, and that is what he was most interested in. We spotted a small bull the first day in there as in, just a point or two too big, and that is where we were going to hunt. They never gave us their hunting schedule for the Sunday, and even if they did, we had as much right to hunt there as anyone. It's not called misinterpreting, it's called assuming. On a side note, where we went we spotted a cow close enough for a shot if it was a legal bull.

Interesting, now you are confessing to hunting moose without a license, as you state you already shot your immature bull prior to Sunday...Seems there are lots of holes in your story and that perhaps you should call the RAPP line on yourself.

Mishka
11-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Longrifle, you're just trolling now. Give it a rest.

Whonnock Boy
11-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Interesting, now you are confessing to hunting moose without a license, as you state you already shot your immature bull prior to Sunday...Seems there are lots of holes in your story and that perhaps you should call the RAPP line on yourself.

Good God! I don't know if you are being serious, or just a plain old troll. I don't have time for you.

longrifle
11-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Longrifle, you're just trolling now. Give it a rest.

Ah, no not trolling, just stating the obvious...Trolling is when you get beat to a hunting spot, go on a hunting forum and whine about it (when you were just as in the wrong as the original party) and then in the last paragraph of your post state that it was abo's in the truck...Now that is the epitome of trolling!

'rifle

longrifle
11-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Good God! I don't know if you are being serious, or just a plain old troll. I don't have time for you.

W'boy, I'm not a troll at all, you wanted to start a debate about the legalities of a situation when you clearly don't fully understand the legislation that you are referring to. I do possess a very thorough understanding of the legislation in question and am just pointing out which sections that you have technically contravened.

'rifle

BimmerBob
11-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Longrifle, if you re-read the first paragraph of the original post you will note that they were also looking for a good buck. Just because someone has filled one tag does not mean they have to stop hunting. I really do think you are on a bit of a troll...

Husky7mm
11-16-2013, 01:27 PM
It's crappy the way that all went down, it is however pretty important to be first if your gonna just hunt the road. If it were me I would have just went to a different spot or accessed from a different approach, as obviously you both wanted to hunt that particular piece of country. I don't really know if a person should have such high expectations as to getting an immature moose( rare) that they demand consideration to be first. Its a bigger problem than just hunting, its the "me" attitude of today's rat race. Most want more consideration than they are willing to extend, themselves. No disrespect to the op as I don't know him, but its a big problem today.

longrifle
11-16-2013, 01:32 PM
It's crappy the way that all went down, it is however pretty important to be first if your gonna just hunt the road. If it were me I would have just went to a different spot or accessed from a different approach, as obviously you both wanted to hunt that particular piece of country. I don't really know if a person should have such high expectations as to getting an immature moose( rare) that they demand consideration to be first. Its a bigger problem than just hunting, its the "me" attitude of today's rat race. Most want more consideration than they are willing to extend, themselves. No disrespect to the op as I don't know him, but its a big problem today.

Husky, you hit the nail on the head...Bravo!!!

'rifle

longrifle
11-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Longrifle, if you re-read the first paragraph of the original post you will note that they were also looking for a good buck. Just because someone has filled one tag does not mean they have to stop hunting. I really do think you are on a bit of a troll...

BB, no where did I state that one has to stop hunting after filling one tag...However, in later posts WB states that they were going to hunt the area that they had noted the most moose sign in because his buddy was most interested in a moose...So, couple that with what seems to be hunting together in a truck, and apply the def'n of hunt, you have a 'technical violation,' if the law is applied to the 'letter.'

'rifle

phoenix
11-16-2013, 02:28 PM
BB, no where did I state that one has to stop hunting after filling one tag...However, in later posts WB states that they were going to hunt the area that they had noted the most moose sign in because his buddy was most interested in a moose...So, couple that with what seems to be hunting together in a truck, and apply the def'n of hunt, you have a 'technical violation,' if the law is applied to the 'letter.'

'rifle
Say What????? Stupidest thing I have read on here in a while and that's saying something.
Kim

betteroffishing
11-16-2013, 03:10 PM
i see frickin idiots everywhere , and they done even know how stupid they look .

'rifle

Darksith
11-16-2013, 03:16 PM

'rifle

*facepalm* *rolleyes*

dino
11-16-2013, 03:19 PM

'rifle

You sound pretty well read bud, every sentence ever written can be wordsmithed into the direction you want to spin all the possibility's of the event in question. You sound like the type of Lawyer that would defend the undefendable . IM with WB and Shakespeare on this one. Its not legal to block the road so the rest doesn't matter.

west250
11-16-2013, 04:10 PM
2 kilometers away? That's a half hour's walk... :)

lightmag
11-16-2013, 04:19 PM
i think "longrifle" is a little short on the common sense and brains dept... nuff said

nature girl
11-16-2013, 04:40 PM
My thought at first was maybe they were newbie hunters and had no clue that they could not block a road.

Kudu
11-16-2013, 04:40 PM

'rifle

Exactly - why did "Johnny come lately"(WB) feel he had more rights to the road, animals, or country than the guys that got there first? Because he was the stand up white boy?

If I where in the other truck, I would have hot dialled the CO's and have them bust his balls...

Call me a troll - I don't care - you have to respect the guy who got there first.....if he wants move slowly - glassing and taking his time - thats his prerogative, and don't mess with his hunt either - it's against the law!

300H&H
11-16-2013, 04:48 PM
ass holes !

Press for YOUR rights.

ignorant *******s

Regaudless of race, its wrong.

Accurate and true each and every comment.
IMO the saddest this is nothing will happen to these FN "hunters".
Nothing seems to phase these dicks.
Their "entitlement" views leave much to be desired.

300H&H
11-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Exactly - why did "Johnny come lately"(WB) feel he had more rights than the guys that got there first? Because he was the stand up white boy?

If I where in the other truck, I would have hot dialled the CO's and have them bust his balls...

Call me a troll - I don't care - you have to respect the guy who got there first.....and don't mess with his hunt either!

Very well said and I totally agree with your comment. :wink:

So the next time I am going hunting up the Coq Hwy. I will block ALL 3 lanes before I get to my spot.
That will teach you guys who like to sleep in.
After all....I was there first.

Sofa King
11-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Exactly - why did "Johnny come lately"(WB) feel he had more rights than the guys that got there first? Because he was the stand up white boy?

Call me a troll - I don't care - you have to respect the guy who got there first.....and don't mess with his hunt either!

since when?
sure, out of courtesy i would.
but it's not law.
you can be the first one to a spot, and two, three, four and five other guys can all wander in there afterward.
and i'm doing absolutely nothing wrong by being a sixth guy to come in and hunt the area.
nobody has claim to an area just because "they were there first".
but it is indeed wrong to block an area and deny others access.
i can't believe you're defending that.

300H&H
11-16-2013, 05:08 PM
since when?
but it's not law.
you can be the first one to a spot, and two, three, four and five other guys can all wander in there afterward.
and i'm doing absolutely nothing wrong by being a sixth guy to come in and hunt the area.

Very well said Duallie, I agree with you.

Kudu
11-16-2013, 05:10 PM
Very well said and I totally agree with your comment. :wink:

So the next time I am going hunting up the Coq Hwy. I will block ALL 3 lanes before I get to my spot.
That will teach you guys who like to sleep in.
After all....I was there first.

How many meters do you have to be off the highway again? Can't see you blocking a dam thing if you behave responsibly!

Serious - why hate the guy? - he got his arse out of bed, loaded his shit, and hit the road while WB was still in his sleeping bag......

WB comes racing up his tail pipe - and he should just roll over and play pooch?

Really?

Davey Crockett
11-16-2013, 05:18 PM
This is an interesting one. I'm not sure that this complaint would satisfy the requirements in sec. 80 in that you must be lawfully engaged in hunting. Can you be considered "hunting" from a vehicle? You can't shoot from a vehicle so likely not. Also, if it were before legal shooting light, you wouldn't be considered lawfully engaged in hunting. Finally and like others have said, one could argue that you were interfering with their hunt.

Despite all of that, blocking a road is idiotic and for that, I'm with you WB. Good for you for confronting them.

Kudu
11-16-2013, 05:22 PM
since when?
but it's not law.

I'm not defending a dam thing.

I just don't like the flavour of WB post - the way I read it, He is pissed because the "aboriginals" beat him up the road, then refused to buckle because he thought he had more rights than them...

He probably hindered their hunt but is too arrogant to see it - who's to say they did not see an animal disappear behind a bush - and where patiently waiting for it to come out - all the while - the "unhappy little man behind" is throwing his toys out of his cot - that is absolutely wrong and against the law.

Sorry - that just sours in my mouth!

Sofa King
11-16-2013, 05:36 PM
How many meters do you have to be off the highway again? Can't see you blocking a dam thing if you behave responsibly!

Serious - why hate the guy? - he got his arse out of bed, loaded his shit, and hit the road while WB was still smelling farts in his sleeping bag......

WB comes racing up his tail pipe and he should just roll over and play pooch?

Really?

who cares if a guy was out before first light?
that doesn't give him more entitlement.
maybe someone works mornings and can't get out til the afternoon.
and driving slow and stopping others from passing because slowpoke is road-hunting is bullshit also.
some guys are blocking a road and denying others access and you are saying "why hate the guy?"???
really?
so your next trip, your all peachy-keen if you get to your destination and you're denied access because someone got there first and blocked the road in? interesting.
then your next spot you move to, same thing again, and you're told to piss off and go somewhere else. you're all smiles still?
then the next area, same thing again. you'd just shrug and say "oh well, that's hunting" and your trip is over because you still have to drive two days back home.

Sofa King
11-16-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm not defending a dam thing.

I just don't like the flavour of WB post - the way I read it, He is pissed because the "aboriginals" beat him up the road, then refused to buckle because he thought he had more rights than them...

He probably hindered their hunt but is too arrogant to see it - who's to say they did not see an animal disappear behind a bush - and where patiently waiting for it to come out - all the while - the "unhappy little man behind" is throwing his toys out of his cot - that is absolutely wrong and against the law.

Sorry - that just sours in my mouth!

i don't see how one could suggest that WB could possibly be interfering with their hunt.
they weren't hunting, they were still holding hands and hugging in the cab of their truck.
what were they waiting for? something to cross the road so they could run it down?
it doesn't matter if they saw an animal. that doesn't make it theirs.

Kudu
11-16-2013, 05:43 PM
who cares if a guy was out before first light?
that doesn't give him more entitlement.
maybe someone works mornings and can't get out til the afternoon.
and driving slow and stopping others from passing because slowpoke is road-hunting is bullshit also.
some guys are blocking a road and denying others access and you are saying "why hate the guy?"???
really?
so your next trip, your all peachy-keen if you get to your destination and you're denied access because someone got there first and blocked the road in? interesting.
then your next spot you move to, same thing again, and you're told to piss off and go somewhere else. you're all smiles still?
then the next area, same thing again. you'd just shrug and say "oh well, that's hunting" and your trip is over because you still have to drive two days back home.

Been there - done that - got the T shirt..........

Many - many times I have been stuck behind some old fart road hunting - they know exactly what they are doing?

I simply took the next turn, or stopped and turned around - no point arguing with a dumb old fool.

betteroffishing
11-16-2013, 05:43 PM
PARKED blocking a fsr is all that needs to be read to see that its wrong . parked .

TobyDexter
11-16-2013, 05:49 PM
In my opinion if you choose to sit in a truck on a ROAD and "hunt" then you have to expect people to be driving through there. Roads were built to be driven on and its common knowledge that during hunting season a lot of people choose to drive the roads and hunt. It does not matter who was there first. If these guys wanted an area to themselves then I would suggest to these hunters that they move there ass out of the vehicle and do some hiking.

mungojeerie
11-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Earlier in the season I was cruising up a road and came across a guy parked just off to the side, leaving enough room for vehicles to pass, I stopped and chatted to him for 20 min or so. He was a really nice guy and turned out he's a HBC'er. He informed me that he had already taken his immy and was currently playing chauffeur to buddy who was just up the road watching a cut. After I chatted I was negotiating if there was enough room to turn around just the other side of him as I wasn't intent on hunting the area past him and I didnt feel I needed to drive through and create traffic for his buddy even though I had every right to continue. He quickly informed me that I need not worry and to please continue on the way I was planning, past him and on past his buddy.

He was a really nice guy to run into and I felt good meeting someone who is very active on HBC.... who was that guy again?... Oohhhhh ya... it was WhonnockBoy :)

Kudu
11-16-2013, 06:04 PM
i don't see how one could suggest that WB could possibly be interfering with their hunt.

Wow!! So it's true what people say about you then!....http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/poofter_paddi/ditsch.gif

they weren't hunting,

Really - what where they doing then...

they were still holding hands and hugging in the cab of their truck.

Are you saying they are homos now as we'll as aboriginals - you need help!

what were they waiting for?

A deer perhaps?

something to cross the road so they could run it down?

Is that your hunting style?

it doesn't matter if they saw an animal.

Actually is does

that doesn't make it theirs.

Yes it does if they shot it

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/poofter_paddi/11E900AD-12DA-4E7D-BE35-F90B71A8F5DB-2214-000006BA1FF4D7B8.jpg

Jagermeister
11-16-2013, 06:11 PM
I will say this about that.
1. It is ignorant to block miles of road just so you can road hunt not to mention the legality of interfering.
2. First nations are subject to the laws of the land whether they chose to be citizens or not. Although they have some preferential laws, they must abide by all the laws the same as the rest of us.
3. I have often seen where the animals have been bedded down and only rose following the passing of a vehicle. It stands to reason that if you're road hunting, it is better to have someone in front of you stirring them up.
If someone wants by whether I am stationary or am overtaken, I yield to that person and let them pass. Even if they then slow down, I will stop and let them get some distance before proceeding.
Life is too short to get into a knot over some ignorant dickhead.

North49
11-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Wow what a bunch of douche bags, you did the right thing by reporting them and hopefully something comes of it.

mungojeerie
11-16-2013, 06:36 PM
I will say this about that.
1. It is ignorant to block miles of road just so you can road hunt not to mention the legality of interfering.
2. First nations are subject to the laws of the land whether they chose to be citizens or not. Although they have some preferential laws, they must abide by all the laws the same as the rest of us.
3. I have often seen where the animals have been bedded down and only rose following the passing of a vehicle. It stands to reason that if you're road hunting, it is better to have someone in front of you stirring them up.
If someone wants by whether I am stationary or am overtaken, I yield to that person and let them pass. Even if they then slow down, I will stop and let them get some distance before proceeding.
Life is too short to get into a knot over some ignorant dickhead.

Exactly.

Last year I shot a buck bedded down in the wide open, 40 yds from the road not even 2 min after another road hunter had driven right past him.

If you didnt drive down a road just because you saw fresh tire tracks, foot prints or the tail lights of another vehicle; how many hunting spots would you be able hunt? Early or not... there are only so many roads and lots of hunters... Regardless of law or rights it is only common sense to understand that roads are routs of travel and people use them to get to places, it doesnt matter if your using it to get to an area that you plan on hiking or if your using it to road hunt...

Passing someone on a road is not interfering with someones hunt, unless they are out of their vehicle and about to harvest an animal. It is much different than the other HBC member on here who I met a few years back that decided to paddle his boat into the pitt marsh (which is fairly big) wave at me and then proceed to set up his decoys not 60 yds away from me. He had no blind set up there.. just liked that spot I guess... He was more experienced than I at the time, an aggressive caller and he had a mojo which I did not then. Every duck that came to me he would hammer on his call and coax it over.. he left with his limit and I left with nothing.

Blainer
11-16-2013, 06:49 PM
PARKED blocking a fsr is all that needs to be read to see that its wrong . parked .kinda how I see it

leadpillproductions
11-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Prick$ is what I think , get a bigger truck go roaring threw the ditch piss on them

Whonnock Boy
11-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Earlier in the season I was cruising up a road and came across a guy parked just off to the side, leaving enough room for vehicles to pass, I stopped and chatted to him for 20 min or so. He was a really nice guy and turned out he's a HBC'er. He informed me that he had already taken his immy and was currently playing chauffeur to buddy who was just up the road watching a cut. After I chatted I was negotiating if there was enough room to turn around just the other side of him as I wasn't intent on hunting the area past him and I didnt feel I needed to drive through and create traffic for his buddy even though I had every right to continue. He quickly informed me that I need not worry and to please continue on the way I was planning, past him and on past his buddy.

He was a really nice guy to run into and I felt good meeting someone who is very active on HBC.... who was that guy again?... Oohhhhh ya... it was WhonnockBoy :)

That's awesome. I totally forgot about that. Thanks for the kind words.

It's interesting how some can interpret my text written words in a tone of whining, and animosity. In addition, I am amazed some know how my morning went prior to being blocked from entering a hunting area which at that time was considered legal hunting time.

Regardless of their ethnicity my actions would have remained the same. I debated posting the story considering the heated topics of debate but, I felt there are many members here that would be interested in the outcome. With that said, I am hoping that we could please keep it a civil conversation so the thread does not get locked.

adriaticum
11-16-2013, 07:40 PM
We shall see

Roe
11-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Great read. Thank you all for posting. I learned a lot and will certainly think on how much consideration I expect and give. Again thank you all for your courage. Restores my faith in humans.

squamishhunter
11-17-2013, 06:32 AM
See section 9

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/tasb/legsregs/archive/fpc/fpcaregs/fsroadus/fsrur.htm

curt
11-17-2013, 10:27 AM
i bet if you poured some gas on the rd under their truck they would have moved it awfully quick!! :)

M.Dean
11-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Over the years I've seen a number of guys that figgered they owned the entire area, and tried as they may to keep everyone but them out! On of the better ones was the Outfitter that set up there corrals, the metal kind about 10 or 12 feet long that hook together, I guess he though if he blocked the entire road and trails beyond the corrals none of us low life resident hunters would bother his guides and clients! Well, early on the first day of our hunt, my friends Son and I headed to a great spot near the Frazer River, low and behold, there in front of us, in the headlites was a corral full of horses! There camp, wall tent, trucks etc was about 100 yards from the corrals, so I got the young fella to open the gate, I drove in, he closed the gate, I drove to the other side, he opened the gate and we drove through! Well, right about then it seems, everyone in the camp started yelling and screaming at us, I'm not sure why, we were allowed there as much as they were!!! About 6 or 7 miles down the road there was a fence line, so on the return trip the young fella walked the fence until he found a spot where there was a old gate of sorts, we got the Quad through there, closed it up and drove the 30 K's back to camp! I've though about that one lots, there was 50 or 60 K's of road beyond the corrals, and some dam good deer country, and that guy though, because he was a Outfitter it gave him the right to block everyone else out! Well, dam near everyone!

Husky7mm
11-17-2013, 02:10 PM
since when?
but it's not law.
So your saying no matter how many people are hunting an area if you want to hunt in top of them your gonna? Your no better than the road blocker, consideration should come from all parties.
What happened first , assholes blocking roads or inconsiderate people hunting on top of each other and feeling just because they have a right to drive past other they do?

Its a big province, Faulk off! Often the second mouse gets the cheese. Be the better person and good things will come your way.

ultramafic
11-17-2013, 03:38 PM
I have to agree I would have been a little choked to see the road blocked and agree blocking the road is wrong, but there are a lot of roads out there and I probably would have chosen to go elsewhere. When I have a chance I prefer to be away from others that I know are in the area ( giving each other space ) and would not knowingly move in on an area that another was currently in. I would hope the same thought was given to an area I was occupying however I know that I have no right to claim just by being there first.

mike

mr7mm
11-17-2013, 05:25 PM
iam just shaking my head this would piss me off. greed plain and simple, so you fill your tag are they going to claim it... what next??? . i think i would have hooked up the tow chain and yanked them right off the road first nation or not.. see how fast they move then..

steel_ram
11-17-2013, 05:49 PM
So your saying no matter how many people are hunting an area if you want to hunt in top of them your gonna? Your no better than the road blocker, consideration should come from all parties.
What happened first , assholes blocking roads or inconsiderate people hunting on top of each other and feeling just because they have a right to drive past other they do?

Its a big province, Faulk off! Often the second mouse gets the cheese. Be the better person and good things will come your way.

If your on the road, in your truck you are not "hunting". If taking incidental game from the roadside when legal is your preference, so be it, but get the Faulk (as you put it) out of the way for those actually going some where.

Husky7mm
11-17-2013, 05:57 PM
No offence to the op but as far as I can tell he wasn't going anywhere, he wanted to be right where he was or pretty darn close to it.

Whonnock Boy
11-17-2013, 06:16 PM

No offence to the op but as far as I can tell he wasn't going anywhere, he wanted to be right where he was or pretty darn close to it.

Calling me inconsiderate, saying I should have went a different way, in addition to pretty much calling me selfish sure tells me that you are trying to offend me. As I said in my opener, we wanted to be 2 km's away for first light. It was a spot where we could glass a large tract of land, and we did not want to be sitting on a road waiting for another hunter to decide when it was light enough for him to carry on. As it was, when we did finally start there was a split in the road a km away. He went left, and we went right.

Wild one
11-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Idiots blocking the road or crawling slow not letting you pass are everywhere these days. I don't care if you road hunt that is your call but don't be a tool and not let others by. If you want to park and hike have some respect and pull off to the side and park.

Too many out in the bush lack respect

Big Lew
11-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Several years ago, my wife and I were heading into an area we knew well north of Kamloops at about 10-12 pm, with the plan to set up camp and hunt. About 12-15 kms from our destination, and 3 times that from the highway, we came upon a group of young people camped with a large bonfire right in the middle of the well-traveled logging road just down from a side road. They could have easily set up their party and fire by the side of the road. Apparently one of them had rolled their truck off the side road and down to the side of the main road. Many of the young people were quite drunk and tried to brush off our request to move some of their stuff out of the way in order for us to pass. Only when I began taking down their license numbers and made an obvious display of talking on my cell phone did they then quickly make way for me. None of them were ever belligerent or nasty to us....I think that they never gave it much thought that there were anyone else in their world but them.

rocksteady
11-17-2013, 09:44 PM
IBTL......

Just sayin.....

Whonnock Boy
11-17-2013, 09:54 PM
IBTL......

Just sayin.....

Oh shush!

P.S. Thanks to the mod for deleting that last comment.

Phreddy
11-17-2013, 10:16 PM
That happened to me a few years back and my buddy, who is of substantial size and build walked up to the window and gently asked them if they were going to drive out of our way or were we going to have to push them out of the way. Their choice. Guess they didn't want a push because they pulled over real quick. One of them gave us the 1 fingered Hawaiian good luck sign as we passed though. Right neighbourly of him I thought.

sobirch
11-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Idiots blocking the road or crawling slow not letting you pass are everywhere these days. I don't care if you road hunt that is your call but don't be a tool and not let others by. If you want to park and hike have some respect and pull off to the side and park.

Too many out in the bush lack respect

Agree 100%,
I road hunt a fair bit and try to treat others as I would like to be treated, sometimes it gets to much and it's time to the get off the road and walk into the small honey-holes. If you can't find a spot with no other bootprints,your not hunting hard enough

log_roller
11-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Start packin a power saw there good for the windfall across the roads chances are there not

Whonnock Boy
12-06-2013, 11:27 AM
I have been in contact with the CO since this has happened. Things are not moving quickly, but they are moving. I have given him a written statement stating the particulars of the events. Since then, they have found out that the vehicle is registered to a company on the Island, and the leading CO has asked the local CO to conduct interviews to obtain the identity of the driver, and his accomplices. I am hoping they do not get the run around in conjunction with the 'native shuffle'.

quaint bucket
12-06-2013, 12:04 PM
I've ran into this situation before my second time hunting. I was up on a snowed in FSR and it was starting to get very uncomfortable to go any further (just 1-2 more km and I would be done) so I had to figure out whether to go back down to a pullout area to ensure I didn't block the road. Sure enough, I heard a quad before first light coming up and met with two guys. We got to talking and looking at the path. I said that I was planning on bringing it down the hill and parking it at a pullout and then walking it. They were pretty appreciative of that.

They asked me first where I was planning on going to. I explained that I was planning on starting from the top of the peak and then work my way into the valley to find signs around the area. I asked them where they were planning on going, they explained they were going into the valley. I said, "Ok, well, I don't want to interfere with your hunt after the peak."

I put in a half day instead of a full day like I was planning on doing. I felt pretty good about that. I got my truck stuck near the base of the mountain and the guys were just passing by when my 4way flashers were on. They came back with their truck and hauled my butt off the hidden mattress (wtf??). We talked and shared information about what we saw. They saw fresh tracks but it was eventually a dead end.

It was a nice experience. I've ran into other hunters who shared the same courtesy as I did. I was driving up down from a FSR branch and came across a group of guys who were heading back from the valley as well. We got to talking and they commented that they saw me driving up the mountain and decided to hit the valley instead. That was pretty nice of them. I saw them again two hours later on a DIFFERENT FSR. We talked some more and they asked questions about the area I was coming from (gates open? hunters up there?) and they told me what they found out from the previous FSR they stayed on.

It was a pretty nice experience both times. I haven't had any serious issues with a hunter. I had a problem with a dude who was quadding recreationally tho. That wasn't nice. :\

don't see what could possibly be done.
Indians are allowed to block roads.

Can you expand on this? I thought that would be considering as an interference. Just for future reference in case if I have to drive up to an FN blockade on a FSR.

Ltbullken
12-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Good for you in reporting it.

Rackem
12-06-2013, 02:07 PM
"http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/tasb/legsregs/archive/fpc/fpcaregs/fsroadus/fsrur.htmObstructions within a forest service road right of way 9. If use of a forest service road's right of way would likely cause significant damage to the road, right of way or environment, or endanger life or property, or if the presence on the right of way of a vehicle or animal would likely cause significant damage to the road, right of way or environment, or endanger life or property, the district manager may
(a) close or restrict the use of the road or right of way, or
(b) at the expense of its owner, remove the vehicle or animal."

They can not block right of way. For any reason. It may not be interfering with a hunt, but it is illegal to block right of way on a FSR. Other people besides hunters use FSRs. Loggers, Forestry Techs, people who live off the FSR...

Whonnock Boy
07-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Update

Finally after many months of delays the Conservation office was given the go ahead to issue a ticket to the individual. Delays involved finding out who in fact had the band truck in question at the time, and then tracking down said individual, as well as in house delays due to under staffing.

The issuance of the ticket needed to be approved by Crown before the Conservation office could proceed. Public safety was the basis of the argument, and the Conservation office is hoping it will prevent the individual from doing this again. The ticket can however be disputed, and I will be notified if it is. It was disputed by the individual in his statement, but with the video evidence the officer believed the events as I claimed, and we are standing on solid ground with any further proceedings. There is also no evidence of the individual being under the umbrella of the Bands territory in which this happened.

North49
07-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Wow glad to hear they actually followed through with it! Hopefully justice will be rightfully served and prevent other individuals from the same doing doing that again.

Big Buck Killer
07-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Hats off to both you and the CO involved! I'm glad that at least it was taken seriously.

Whonnock Boy
04-15-2015, 02:47 PM
A year and a half later we have a court date as the accused is disputing the infraction. Off to Merrit I go from the mainland, as I need to attend as a witness. Hopefully the perpetrator shows, and this is a one shot deal. I have my doubts.....

Liveforthehunt
04-15-2015, 02:57 PM
Interesting let me know how you make out

Barracuda
04-15-2015, 03:13 PM
A year and a half later we have a court date as the accused is disputing the infraction. Off to Merrit I go from the mainland, as I need to attend as a witness. Hopefully the perpetrator shows, and this is a one shot deal. I have my doubts.....

Good for following through , Way to many guys block roads claim areas and bully other hunters by intentionally disrupting hunts .

BgBlkDg
04-15-2015, 03:19 PM
Best of luck in fighting the azzholes, but, I doubt that a anything real will be done.....this kind of thing happens more often than many realize and the time IS coming when it may well end in horrific violence.

I wish that we had governments with integrity, courage and human decency in Canada, but, then I often wish I would win 6/49 too.......

.330 Dakota
04-15-2015, 03:35 PM

If the perp doesnt show its an automatic WIN for the crown---default judgement

Whonnock Boy
04-15-2015, 03:54 PM
Could be. I thought that he could maybe send a lawyer in to speak on his behalf to delay proceedings? I guess we will see.

If the perp doesnt show its an automatic WIN for the crown---default judgement

Good2bCanadian
04-15-2015, 04:14 PM
I back the principal in this fight, but seems like a lot of resources being spent on someone that blocked a road.

Good luck with this.

Whonnock Boy
04-15-2015, 04:26 PM
On the outside, I see your perspective however, the Conservation Service takes this very seriously, and so they should, as there have been instances where things "have gotten out of hand".

I back the principal in this fight, but seems like a lot of resources being spent on someone that blocked a road.

Good luck with this.

Bugle M In
04-15-2015, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the update.
Sorry to hear about the situation, but, glad to hear that the Co took up the cause....as they should!
It's a nice thing now, being camcorders and recording devices are easily obtained to record these types of situations.
I think more people should take the time to report exactly this type of problem, interfering, blocking access etc, etc.
Hopefully it will happen, the reporting , I mean, and that this type of stuff comes to an end.

Daybreak
04-15-2015, 06:27 PM
Sure admire your persistence and commitment WB. I'm confident you will win the ruling and that will give you some satisfaction. Your efforts will likely set a few individuals straight and save some others hunters the same grief you endured. Thank you.

Good2bCanadian
04-15-2015, 06:31 PM
On the outside, I see your perspective however, the Conservation Service takes this very seriously, and so they should, as there have been instances where things "have gotten out of hand".

Good luck WB

Thanks for the reply

hawk-i
04-15-2015, 06:43 PM
I wonder where Longrifle went?

Steve W
04-15-2015, 06:51 PM
Could be. I thought that he could maybe send a lawyer in to speak on his behalf to delay proceedings? I guess we will see.

If this is being handle in the usual manner it will be a traffic court type dispute and no lawyers should be involved. They do occasionally show up and if they muddy the water too much the JP will send it forward to a Provincial Court. Year and a half isn't out of yen norm unfortunately.

ACB
04-15-2015, 10:06 PM
How do you know that. The guy's that he was blocking the road for were probably already well up the road!

Whonnock Boy
04-15-2015, 10:12 PM
How does who, know what?

How do you know that.

ACB
04-15-2015, 10:13 PM
What a guy needs is the biggest, ugliest 1 ton PU with huge bumpers and just push them the hell out of the way! But then you would just find your self in court for abusing are poor FN people'S. There's just no winning.

Trigger Happy
04-16-2015, 08:03 AM

what a doofus

itsy bitsy xj
04-16-2015, 09:05 AM
This is a long saga. When is the court date? I wouldn't mind sitting in the court just to watch how it plays out. I'm thinking he'll have some B/S story like the truck wouldn't start or couldn't find the keys. I hope he gets some serious consequences for his actions.

leadpillproductions
04-16-2015, 09:48 AM
Good on you and co for proceeding. But not much will come of it. We have a spinless gov

The Hermit
04-22-2015, 10:00 PM
Over the years I've seen a number of guys that figgered they owned the entire area, and tried as they may to keep everyone but them out! On of the better ones was the Outfitter that set up there corrals, the metal kind about 10 or 12 feet long that hook together, I guess he though if he blocked the entire road and trails beyond the corrals none of us low life resident hunters would bother his guides and clients! Well, early on the first day of our hunt, my friends Son and I headed to a great spot near the Frazer River, low and behold, there in front of us, in the headlites was a corral full of horses! There camp, wall tent, trucks etc was about 100 yards from the corrals, so I got the young fella to open the gate, I drove in, he closed the gate, I drove to the other side, he opened the gate and we drove through! Well, right about then it seems, everyone in the camp started yelling and screaming at us, I'm not sure why, we were allowed there as much as they were!!! About 6 or 7 miles down the road there was a fence line, so on the return trip the young fella walked the fence until he found a spot where there was a old gate of sorts, we got the Quad through there, closed it up and drove the 30 K's back to camp! I've though about that one lots, there was 50 or 60 K's of road beyond the corrals, and some dam good deer country, and that guy though, because he was a Outfitter it gave him the right to block everyone else out! Well, dam near everyone!

NOTE: The GOABC is currently lobbying the Liberal Government for the right to gate access to their camps! This might not sound like a big deal but how many "camps" are along roads that access vast amounts of crown land? I will be fighting this hard and suggest anyone still writing to Christy, Thomson, or their MLA to include your concerns in this matter. Just take a look at some of the heli-skiiing operators that have successfully blocked access to their tenures - no mountain ski touring, snow mobiles etc.

Gateholio
04-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Bill that deserves a separate thread.

The Hermit
04-29-2015, 05:20 PM
Follow-up: I have been in a PHATAT meeting for the last couple days. Michael Schnieder approached me today to clarify that the GOABC is not lobbying the Government for the right to gate roads, but rather to erect gates on lane ways/driveways into their remote camps. I just wanted to set the record straight and to apologize to the GOABC for posting second hand information without checking with them directly first. Thanks for letting me know in a non-confrontational and open manner Michael.

Mudzbogger
04-29-2015, 05:32 PM
Follow-up: I have been in a PHATAT meeting for the last couple days. Michael Schnieder approached me today to clarify that the GOABC is not lobbying the Government for the right to gate roads, but rather to erect gates on lane ways/driveways into their remote camps. I just wanted to set the record straight and to apologize to the GOABC for posting second hand information without checking with them directly first. Thanks for letting me know in a non-confrontational and open manner Michael.

Gates kind of defeat the always open coffee's always on diatribe they have spoken before. Now if these camps are on private land gate them but crown land well no gates period its our road or access to use as well.

Whonnock Boy
04-29-2015, 05:53 PM
The way you have worded your reply suggests they are wanting to gate a road. Call it what you want, "lane ways/driveways", but we know how some work, and we know what kind of slippery slope that could be. I like how the terminology of the road was downplayed. Hell, why didn't he just call it a trail..... a 5 mile long trail, wide enough for two vehicles.....

FirePower
04-29-2015, 07:24 PM

Just one more wedge in the already cut tree, soon it will topple. They need to be stopped here and now.

The Dawg
04-29-2015, 07:24 PM

Weird. I was to say something like that, I'd get slapped..again.

There's an easy way to find out if the lobbying is true.....

Fisher-Dude
04-29-2015, 08:00 PM

Gate the Reichstag.

Some people want BC to resemble Germany.

We have to stop this "Germanization" of our country, NOW!

Spy
04-29-2015, 10:38 PM
You are so diplomatic LOL I would have told him to GGF you Lieing POS ! Bill you know they would gate the whole of BC off to resident hunters if they could ! I will bet you half my elk thats what they are doing!

The Hermit
04-29-2015, 10:50 PM
I believe Michael and Scott when they tell me that they are not asking for the right to block any road. They simply wish to gate off their camps to reduce the amount of theft they incur on a regular basis.

Whonnock Boy
04-29-2015, 10:56 PM
Naivety is what got us into this position in the first place. Fill yer boots.....

I believe Michael and Scott when they tell me that they are not asking for the right to block any road. They simply wish to gate off their camps to reduce the amount of theft they incur on a regular basis.

Whonnock Boy
04-29-2015, 10:58 PM
And furthermore, why are you even hanging out with these guys????

Spy
04-29-2015, 11:04 PM
You are so gullible buddy! Just like they did not lobby for all the other shit the Libs gave them.Theft out of their camps?? Don't they have camp cooks to look after their shit while they are not there? Anyway I cant believe anything they tell us anymore! Sunday buddy first 3D of the year :-)

Spy
04-29-2015, 11:06 PM
Hey don't pick on my hunting partner! Someone needs to spy on them ;-)

The Dawg
04-29-2015, 11:08 PM
They told you they are not lobbying...yet I just dug this up.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?117305-More-Lobbying

The Hermit
04-30-2015, 04:04 AM
I never said that the GOABC are not lobbying, they are and will continue to do so. They have never denied being registered lobbyists. They tell me, and I believe them that they are not lobbying for the right to close roads.

My post on this specific topic is meant to correct misinformation, and to apologize for my error. Isn't that what adults do, correct errors, apologize and move on?

The Hermit
04-30-2015, 04:20 AM

I represent the UBBC on the Provincial Hunting and Trapping Advisory Team along with the reps from the BCTA, GOABC, BCWF, and WSSBC. The last couple days we were in our bi-annual meetings in Victoria with FLNRO. Excellent meeting with some good movement toward growing more wildlife, policy reviews, and excellent Government presentations on what they are trying to do around cumulative effects etc.

NOTE: Although some of the players are the same as in the Allocation Committee (killing wildlife group), PHATAT is perhaps best described as the "Growing More Wildlife Team". Believe it or not there are many issues the TEAM is in complete agreement on and we work together well to provide the Wildlife Branch with our best advise in the interests conservation and the ongoing use and enjoyment of the back country for all parties.

Fisher-Dude
04-30-2015, 06:01 AM

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.81713.1329428063!/img/httpImage/gal-stupid-clinton-bill.jpg

BgBlkDg
04-30-2015, 06:17 AM
I don't believe ANYTHING that the GOABC says and NO immigrant in ANY situation will EVER *gate* me from going ANYWHERE in BC/Canada, that I damned well choose to go.

This sort of BS is now happening in the Kootenays, with Yankee and German owned ski lodges on CROWN land tenures, courtesy of Gordo Campbell and I will NEVER cooperate with any aspect of these foreigners wishes.

Fight back!!!

Gateholio
04-30-2015, 07:33 AM
If there is rampant theft requiring gates, surely there are multiple police reports that can be produced to back up the claims of a " need" for gates on public land?

Remember, we are talking about the guy who claimed his family was in danger due to a laser dot pointer.

kilometers
04-30-2015, 07:55 AM
I'm not sure if it would apply here but for logging company's they are aloud to gate roads but they must supply keys for the gate if asked.
one of my favorite sledding areas is on a gated fsr. I got a key from forestry for a 50 dollar refundable deposit. It's kinda nice. Most of the time the area is all intouched powder!

Ranger95
04-30-2015, 07:58 AM

Are we not allowed to "hang out" with anyone we please - is this now forbidden by the HBC Gestapo?

Some of my families closest friends are guides, do really expect us to now walk away from these people because they are Professional guides?

What is this Germany 1939?

Fisher-Dude
04-30-2015, 08:59 AM
Are we not allowed to "hang out" with anyone we please - is this now forbidden by the HBC Gestapo?

There are some that want to turn BC into Germany.

Private, gated game hunting areas for the rich.

Privatization of the public wildlife resource.

Just like the country they came from.

You get 3 guesses as to whom that may be, and the first 2 don't count.

BgBlkDg
04-30-2015, 09:05 AM
Pat, that type of hunting, game management, access, landholdings, etc, is the common situation in MOST of the world, see Texas, the UK, other Euro. nations and so on.

The German issue here now is FAR less invasive and foreign than the REAL problem which Canada, has always had with our resources, the *damnYankees*, who are taking over our wilderness recreation, hunting and angling.

We could do a LOT worse than to emulate certain aspects of German management and culture and not as much Yankee vulgarity and braggadocio, IMHO.

FirePower
04-30-2015, 09:18 AM
Mr. Hermit, why would you even consider believing a word these two say regarding their agenda. "Fool me once shame on you, but fool me twice Shame On Me The bear facts are they want to restrict resident access, and are just using this as an excuse to do so. If they want to " They simply wish to gate off their camps to reduce the amount of theft they incur on a regular basis" I suggest a high chain link prison style fence topped with razor wire around their immediate camp compound. This would solve all problems both to resident access and anti theft measures.

GoatGuy
04-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Small potatoes folks.

FirePower
04-30-2015, 09:47 AM
Mr. Goatguy I am sorry to disagree, but there should be no "small potatoes" in this battle, a lot of small potatoes make up the entire sack.

Whonnock Boy
04-30-2015, 10:10 AM
Just busting balls. Dont you have other people to bother, other forums to peruse, and authors to plagurize elsewhere?

Some of my families closest friends are guides, do really expect us to now walk away from these people because they are Professional guides?

All good Hermit. I guess fraternizing with the opponent is good in some respects. Asking us to believe what they tell you, is quite another. ;)

I represent the UBBC on the Provincial Hunting and Trapping Advisory Team along with the reps from the BCTA, GOABC, BCWF, and WSSBC. The last couple days we were in our bi-annual meetings in Victoria with FLNRO. Excellent meeting with some good movement toward growing more wildlife, policy reviews, and excellent Government presentations on what they are trying to do around cumulative effects etc.

NOTE: Although some of the players are the same as in the Allocation Committee (killing wildlife group), PHATAT is perhaps best described as the "Growing More Wildlife Team". Believe it or not there are many issues the TEAM is in complete agreement on and we work together well to provide the Wildlife Branch with our best advise in the interests conservation and the ongoing use and enjoyment of the back country for all parties.

Whonnock Boy
04-30-2015, 10:13 AM
And one more thing, I am for the most part self employed, so if anyone wishes to contact my employer for posting during business hours, good luck... Not mentioning any names.

The Dawg
04-30-2015, 10:14 AM
And one more thing, I am for the most part self employed, so if anyone wishes to contact my employer for posting during business hours, good luck... Not mentioning any names.

I'll sell you out for a bucket of chicken and a 6 pack! :D

Sitkaspruce
04-30-2015, 07:20 PM
Theft does occur, I had it happen a couple times.......doors smashed in, all the food and booze (including the coolers they were in) taken, a 15 hp outboard and gas tank and numerous other things, all while were out hunting.....Also had a cabin burnt down one winter.

But not sure what gates are going to do, because if they want their access "lanes or trails" gated, you would have to gate them at least a klick back from the camp to be some what effective.....which then restricts hunters from that 1km section of road. The one where we got robbed was blocked by a chain across the road about a klick from the camp and we still got robbed.

If you want to make this a battle, then get involved: your MLA, your FLNRO District Manager and your local club and keep on top of them.

Cheers

SS

Fisher-Dude
05-01-2015, 08:31 AM
Theft does occur, I had it happen a couple times.......doors smashed in, all the food and booze (including the coolers they were in) taken, a 15 hp outboard and gas tank and numerous other things, all while were out hunting.....Also had a cabin burnt down one winter.

But not sure what gates are going to do, because if they want their access "lanes or trails" gated, you would have to gate them at least a klick back from the camp to be some what effective.....which then restricts hunters from that 1km section of road. The one where we got robbed was blocked by a chain across the road about a klick from the camp and we still got robbed.

If you want to make this a battle, then get involved: your MLA, your FLNRO District Manager and your local club and keep on top of them.

Cheers

SS

Agree 100%.

Horses, dirtbikes, boots, quads, trucks with winches, cordless cutoff tools, etc are all gate spoilers.

No gate will keep any thief from his intended target. Hermie's buddies know that, too.

It's quite obvious to me what the intention is. It's "Blockzugriff."

M.Dean
05-01-2015, 08:49 AM
Gates will simply keep out the honest people, and there not the ones doing the stealing, if there is any stealing, about the only way for our dear outfitters to avoid the thief, if there is any thief, is not to leave there stuff out in the bush, same as us honest people found out the hard way with summer cabins, hunting cabins and the like. So, outfitters, don't leave your outfitting gear in the bush! Take it home with you, and there'll be no need to put up more unwanted gates!

Ambush
05-01-2015, 09:36 AM
So, if I have my camp set up on the same road that an outfitter has gated one kilometer before his camp,.............. can I put up a gate one kilometer before my camp to protect my gear from theft?

You can bet that one of the leverages that they are using is the animosity between RH and GOABC. They will claim there are real threats to them, from us. They will cite threats of hunt disruption and confrontation. They will muse out load about lase pointers, stolen trucks, slashed tires and mysteriously burned cabins.

Even if enacted with promises of only good intentions, it will be abused and we will have been had and further marginalized again.

When someone is smiling and shaking your hand when they are lying to you, it just proves they are adept at it and have no remorse.

The GOABC should be forced to provide details of theft and vandalism in the form of police reports and insurance claims.

Foxton Gundogs
05-01-2015, 09:52 AM
Mr. Hermit, why would you even consider believing a word these two say regarding their agenda. "Fool me once shame on you, but fool me twice Shame On Me The bear facts are they want to restrict resident access, and are just using this as an excuse to do so. If they want to " They simply wish to gate off their camps to reduce the amount of theft they incur on a regular basis" I suggest a high chain link prison style fence topped with razor wire around their immediate camp compound. This would solve all problems both to resident access and anti theft measures.

Mr. Goatguy I am sorry to disagree, but there should be no "small potatoes" in this battle, a lot of small potatoes make up the entire sack.

What he said

Mulehahn
05-01-2015, 10:11 AM
First, Was it ever announced when the court appearance that started this thread is to be held? It would be very interesting to see the outcome!

As for the gates and theft, there are countless non-guides or outfitters out in the bush who experience theft from there camps. Does that mean anyone with a camp down a road can set up a gate? I hunt a lot by myself so as a result my camp is often unattended. Does that mean I can out a chain across the road a couple of kms down the road to protect it? If Guides and Outfitters can why can't I?

Fisher-Dude
05-01-2015, 10:26 AM
If Guides and Outfitters can why can't I?

Guides and outfitters can shoot over their quota with no charges, too. Why can't you?

This government is doing all it can to legislate BC resident hunters into second class citizens.

Whonnock Boy
05-01-2015, 12:28 PM
First, Was it ever announced when the court appearance that started this thread is to be held? It would be very interesting to see the outcome
May 12..............

Sofa King
05-01-2015, 02:15 PM
that may very well be their intent.
but, we all know that the gov loves to word their rules and regs in a vague way that suits them to then regulate how best suits them. im sure with how it would be worded, we would see them "allowed" to gate roads and completely block access to areas.

did they show you all the proof of this on a regular basis theft?

The Hermit
05-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Agree 100%.

.... No gate will keep any thief from his intended target. Hermie's buddies know that, too.

It's quite obvious to me what the intention is. It's "Blockzugriff."

LOL "Hermies buddies" yeah right! <snort> Fisher Dude, I've been accused of much worse, as in being your buddy and even a long lost twin!!! :tongue: I can't win here - lots of my REAL friends give me the razzz for supporting you at times, then you dick heads give me a hard time for being open to working with others for the betterment of our mutual interests and conservation! Bunch of dorks and pilgarlic chest thumpers! Sit back, relax, reread my posts, and think before running your mouth!

Fisher-Dude
05-01-2015, 03:04 PM
LOL "Hermies buddies" yeah right! <snort> Fisher Dude, I've been accused of much worse, as in being your buddy and even a long lost twin!!! :tongue: I can't win here - lots of my REAL friends give me the razzz for supporting you at times, then you dick heads give me a hard time for being open to working with others for the betterment of our mutual interests and conservation! Bunch of dorks and pilgarlic chest thumpers! Sit back, relax, reread my posts, and think before running your mouth!

I've gone through the list of "interests and conservation" that resident hunters have, and I can't match a single one to those of the guides.

I guess I had to call them your "buddies," facetiously I might add, because naming them gets a call from a lawyer, or a letter to my friend's employer trying to get him fired.

Whonnock Boy
05-01-2015, 03:06 PM
Hey! FD resembles those remarks you know??? :lol:

then you dick heads

Steve W
05-01-2015, 05:41 PM
pilgarlic ​....

Had to look that one up.

The Hermit
05-01-2015, 09:29 PM
pilgarlic ​....

Had to look that one up.

I thought it was fitting! LOL

Ohwildwon
05-01-2015, 10:03 PM
Speaking towards getting your shiiit stolen...

I set up a couple game cameras on camp, have an old, small, satellite dish with some wire runnin to nowhere, lol!

With a sign, saying that if you are reading it, the images have already been sent!

Had e few people captured, nothin missing yet...

Whonnock Boy
05-12-2015, 03:55 PM
The court date was today up in Merrit. End result.... the guy never showed. I was informed that he did try to adjourn the hearing until some time in December, but was denied. I imagine it was so he could attend the hearing, and get a hunt in. Who knows. It's kind of a piss off that this Kenneth Benjamin Smith from the Island wasted my time, and our valuable CO's time, but hopefully this will be a deterrent for him to interfere, and spoil anyone else's hunt, possibly yours.

Barracuda
05-12-2015, 04:10 PM
So that's a Guilty ?.

hopefully it will be a deterrent for all the road blocking hunt spoiling interfering self entitled mouth breathers out there.

Good on you for following up on this.

Whonnock Boy
05-12-2015, 04:11 PM
Sorry yes, that is an admission of guilt.

So that's a Guilty ?.

Moe.JKU
05-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Sorry yes, that is an admission of guilt.

any sort of punishment or is that still to be decided?

Whonnock Boy
05-12-2015, 04:22 PM
The original fine of a 150 bucks or whatever it is will stand. If he tries it again, the CO said no doubt penalties will escalate.

any sort of punishment or is that still to be decided?

wideopenthrottle
05-14-2015, 04:05 PM
I heard tell of a story about a notorious GO in the east kootenay that used to regularly block roads damage other hunters' vehicles and even damage a bridge that crossed the river...I heard his truck was found in the middle of the river but he was never found...can anyone familiar with the story give me more details or is it possibly just "round the fire BS"???

bandit
05-14-2015, 05:07 PM
No doubt it will get appealed and waste even more of your time

Phreddy
05-14-2015, 09:38 PM
I heard tell of a story about a notorious GO in the east kootenay that used to regularly block roads damage other hunters' vehicles and even damage a bridge that crossed the river...I heard his truck was found in the middle of the river but he was never found...can anyone familiar with the story give me more details or is it possibly just "round the fire BS"???Sounds like justice was served.

wideopenthrottle
05-15-2015, 07:01 AM
Sounds like justice was served.
after I posted this I realized that there may have been some truth to a person disappearing and that someone may be related to or used to know that missing person and I apologize if I offended anyone in pursuit of a good story
wide

KodiakHntr
05-15-2015, 09:05 AM
I heard tell of a story about a notorious GO in the east kootenay that used to regularly block roads damage other hunters' vehicles and even damage a bridge that crossed the river...I heard his truck was found in the middle of the river but he was never found...can anyone familiar with the story give me more details or is it possibly just "round the fire BS"???

Hmm, was that bridge over Buhl?