PDA

View Full Version : Grouse habits in Region 3 or anywhere in BC

CBH
11-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Just wanted to get everyones thoughts on grouse habits as the season progresses. In my findings, as the season progresses, I find it more difficult to find grouse. In September and October they can easily be found on the road edges either foraging for various berries and needles or for small rocks for their gizzard. I also find great pleasure in hiking through wooded areas with dog searching for them. In the early season, i have found it to be not that difficult of a task (especially this year!).

I am wondering what peoples thoughts are on finding grouse in November? As the snow flies, I have found it much more difficult to find them. This past weekend, I went to one of my favorite groiuse spots but the snow was at least 6 inches deep and up to 10 inches. Do grouse migrate to the valley bottoms as the snow comes? Or, do they hunker down and are less active?

new trigger
11-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Good question, I am wondering the same. Found my best bird spot under 2"-6" of snow a few weeks ago and saw only 2 grouse, where I had already taken 7 birds only 2 weeks prior when there was no snow.
I do think they move lower to stay below the snow line, while remaining in their type of habitat.

monasheemountainman
11-22-2013, 01:39 PM
they hibernate, dig deep holes and hibernate

chukar bob
11-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Blues stay high no matter what the snow level may be or how cold it is. Ruffies are a bit of a mystery because sometimes you can do well in the snow as they actually start at the bottom of a stalk and walk it sideways to get to the top where the berries are located these would be the white berries or high bush cranberries. I have seen them do this. Otherwise, find alder patches in the lower regions. I assume that they are eating the buds.