PDA

View Full Version : whats best

wsm
11-14-2013, 09:41 PM
so let me hear what u guys do with the meat from you stinky rutting buck .

dana
11-14-2013, 09:52 PM
steak and roasts.

elkhunterette
11-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Sausage and pepperoni

cavebear
11-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Eat it 😜 of course

aggiehunter
11-14-2013, 09:56 PM
why would you shoot a rutting....stinking buck.....oh....and then ask....how do you eat it....one slow bite at a time.

KB90
11-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Option 1 - Dog Food

Option 2 (no dog) - Garbage Can

dana
11-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Never once had an issue with a rutting muley tasting poor. I've shot mature rutted muleys and young 'of the year' fawns and had them taste exactly the same. As a matter of fact, one of the best tasting muleys I ever ate was a 190 class typical shot in the peak of the rut. On the flip side, the worst tasting deer I ever shot was a Nov whitetail. Was unbearable. Tried numerous ways to cook it and still was worse than eating leather. So I can understand when aggie the whitetail lover thinks rutting bucks taste bad.

hunter1993ap
11-14-2013, 10:07 PM
Never once had an issue with a rutting muley tasting poor. I've shot mature rutted muleys and young 'of the year' fawns and had them taste exactly the same. As a matter of fact, one of the best tasting muleys I ever ate was a 190 class typical shot in the peak of the rut. On the flip side, the worst tasting deer I ever shot was a Nov whitetail. Was unbearable. Tried numerous ways to cook it and still was worse than eating leather. So I can understand when aggie the whitetail lover thinks rutting bucks taste bad.

its all in the prep, take your time and be careful and they should all be good. I have had very few old stinky mule deer taste bad, not one I can remember anyways.

wsm
11-14-2013, 10:08 PM
why would you shoot a rutting....stinking buck.....oh....and then ask....how do you eat it....one slow bite at a time.

I don't see where it says I shot a stinky buck , however I am curious to know what people do with the meat (how it is best used)? .. thanks for the conclusion jumping though:roll::roll:

wingmaster
11-14-2013, 10:13 PM
if i ever get one im not enjoying it gets ground up and tossed in the lasagna pot

kyleklassen
11-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Never once had an issue with a rutting muley tasting poor. I've shot mature rutted muleys and young 'of the year' fawns and had them taste exactly the same. As a matter of fact, one of the best tasting muleys I ever ate was a 190 class typical shot in the peak of the rut. On the flip side, the worst tasting deer I ever shot was a Nov whitetail. Was unbearable. Tried numerous ways to cook it and still was worse than eating leather. So I can understand when aggie the whitetail lover thinks rutting bucks taste bad.I also have shot a few questionables and have never had an issue.

lovemywinchester
11-14-2013, 10:18 PM
stinky rutting buck .

:confused:....................................

~T-BONE~
11-14-2013, 10:27 PM
I usually make salami and pepperoni. Only had one that was unbearable, even for me! Couldn't give it away.. Dog didn't mind ..

Sofa King
11-14-2013, 10:33 PM
I've shot some real stinkers.
actually most my deer have been taken during the rut, as I enjoy hunting so much more in the snow.
but they were just stinky on the outside, never the meat.
but I have heard that marinating deer in beer really removes any gamey taste.

180grainer
11-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Smoked jerky works.

tomahawk
11-14-2013, 10:39 PM

Bang on Dana, all the stink and rut smell is on the outside of the hair and hide and is not on the inside of the deer at all, it cant get through the hide, if your meat is stinky its due to POOR field dressing, not the rut! you can get a tough chewy animal but not stinky from the rut. Headed for the next week to get me another buck, good eatin steaks, roasts and burger!

kyleklassen
11-14-2013, 10:50 PM
you got it...

Bang on Dana, all the stink and rut smell is on the outside of the hair and hide and is not on the inside of the deer at all, it cant get through the hide, if your meat is stinky its due to POOR field dressing, not the rut! you can get a tough chewy animal but not stinky from the rut. Headed for the next week to get me another buck, good eatin steaks, roasts and burger!

Glenny
11-15-2013, 09:33 AM
I always get the hide off within an hour or so. Never had a bad tasting buck. In rut or not.

haber
11-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Never had a bad or gamey tasting buck. I always have a cheap knife that I use to cut out the scent glands and then continue on field dressing with my other knife.

sawmill
11-15-2013, 10:25 AM
That`s right,stink is on the outside.If it`s tough,jar it in a pressure cooker with some onion,garlic baby potatoes and carrots and beef broth.Friggen fantastic!

Taurusguy
11-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Meats meat... I will eat whatever. No point in letting organic meat go to waste. Hunting is too expensive to just feed it to dogs. Rut or not... Never had a deer taste bad. But maybe that's just me? I dunno *shrugs*

Clean it out right away... Wash it with some cold water... Cut off the bloodshot and around the wounds. Don't break the bladder.. (Even if ya do just wash it out asap with water). Should be fine. Had many butchering places tell us our deer have been some of the best dressed deer to come in to their shop.

139grainsofhell
11-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Cut scent glands off right away wash or use different knife for the rest and it should taste good.

BiG Boar
11-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Don't shoot mulie bucks in the rut unless they're wall hangers. The 2 I have had that were so disgusting that I couldn't make jerky with them, were handled by people who really didn't know how to handle them properly. So its probably not the meat itself, but the people who make a mess in the field. One hand on the meat, one hand for hide, and never the twain shall meet. Would you rub your steak all over the tarsal glands of a pissed rolled in deer?

skuntor
11-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Don't shoot mulie bucks in the rut unless they're wall hangers. The 2 I have had that were so disgusting that I couldn't make jerky with them, were handled by people who really didn't know how to handle them properly. So its probably not the meat itself, but the people who make a mess in the field. One hand on the meat, one hand for hide, and never the twain shall meet. Would you rub your steak all over the tarsal glands of a pissed rolled in deer?
Why not shoot one and handle it properly then?

Darksith
11-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Don't shoot mulie bucks in the rut unless they're wall hangers.

Nothing wrong with a rutting meat 4x4 that isn't a wall hanger. Won't have a problem with taste or tenderness...simply skin the animal properly and you will be fine. Some ideas I've heard from people are 2 knives, 1 to remove scent glands, then put it aside and skin away with another...I myself have only ever used 1 knife, never had a problem with poor tasting meat. Won't hesitate to fill my freezer with any legal buck in the rut if I need my freezer filled.

sawmill
11-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Nothing wrong with a rutting meat 4x4 that isn't a wall hanger. Won't have a problem with taste or tenderness...simply skin the animal properly and you will be fine. Some ideas I've heard from people are 2 knives, 1 to remove scent glands, then put it aside and skin away with another...I myself have only ever used 1 knife, never had a problem with poor tasting meat. Won't hesitate to fill my freezer with any legal buck in the rut if I need my freezer filled.
Me too.I have shot some big stinkers but carefull handling makes it right.Buddy gave me a big box of blue EMS gloves,work like a hot damn.Put them on,strip them off,put another pair on,repeat if needed.No reason to ever chuck meat,as has been suggested here by some.

Mora119
11-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Never had a bad experience with stinky bucks. It just depends on the deer and how you cook it. If you do end up with a stinky buck use him as sausage or spice him well before you cook him.

brutus
11-15-2013, 03:30 PM
rut or not the meat should not be affected by the stink,the stink is in the hide and the glands like others have said its how you handle the animal when its down,your butcher plays a big part in the gamey taste of your meat,i butcher my own meat and take every little peace of tendon and fat off when i am done there is nothing but meat,i just had pork fat to my hamburger.best meat ever:mrgreen:

Looking_4_Jerky
11-16-2013, 12:17 AM
I'd love to try the "great" meat off the rutty mule bucks that everyone says are just fine. Despite the fact that I really enjoy late season hunting for mulies, I pretty much won't even consider shooting one after mid-October. Had too many that I absolutely had to force myself to eat. Experienced it with cuts, pepperoni, jerky, my meat, others meat, yada yada. I personally think it's very much like muddy trout - some people are very sensitive to the taste and can pick it up a mile away, while others don't seem phased in the least. Unfortunately, I fall into the former category. While I have tasted the odd late season mule buck that seems fine, by and large it is dog food to me. But, that's just me. I've eaten it along side others who think it's just great and can't seem to figure out what I'm tasting or talking about. All the while, I'm trying to figure out how they can't taste the "barnyard" taste that pervades my tastebuds as I'm chewing on the thing. Seems non-existent in any whitetail I've ever had - late season buck or not.

I've heard of all sorts of funky alchemy that is supposed to clear the taste, but I guess I'm too lazy or spoiled to go through that every time I want to eat my venison. I'd rather put that effort into trying to get an elk or moose, as I've yet to have a bad one of either. At times a bit tough, but never tasted bad like rut-shot mule deer that I've experienced. They're magnificent, stinky creatures!

hunter1993ap
11-16-2013, 07:12 PM
I'd love to try the "great" meat off the rutty mule bucks that everyone says are just fine. Despite the fact that I really enjoy late season hunting for mulies, I pretty much won't even consider shooting one after mid-October. Had too many that I absolutely had to force myself to eat. Experienced it with cuts, pepperoni, jerky, my meat, others meat, yada yada. I personally think it's very much like muddy trout - some people are very sensitive to the taste and can pick it up a mile away, while others don't seem phased in the least. Unfortunately, I fall into the former category. While I have tasted the odd late season mule buck that seems fine, by and large it is dog food to me. But, that's just me. I've eaten it along side others who think it's just great and can't seem to figure out what I'm tasting or talking about. All the while, I'm trying to figure out how they can't taste the "barnyard" taste that pervades my tastebuds as I'm chewing on the thing. Seems non-existent in any whitetail I've ever had - late season buck or not.

I've heard of all sorts of funky alchemy that is supposed to clear the taste, but I guess I'm too lazy or spoiled to go through that every time I want to eat my venison. I'd rather put that effort into trying to get an elk or moose, as I've yet to have a bad one of either. At times a bit tough, but never tasted bad like rut-shot mule deer that I've experienced. They're magnificent, stinky creatures!

you have the taste stuck in your mind!! haha definitely makes you cringe when you do have a bad one. I have had other peoples deer that were quite bad tasting but I know the prep wasn't nearly as picky as we do ours. first thing we do before taking the meat is pull the scent glands off with a separate knife. after that skin it and keep the hair away from the meat.

horshur
11-16-2013, 07:16 PM
so you guys are saying that an overheated..exhausted..dehydrated animal that is fasting is just as good as one fat and lazy.....really??? It makes me wonder if you ever got one early.......

boxhitch
11-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Most of mine have been November bucks , have never had one of the mythical stinking meat Mulies, always handled them carefully , staying away from the scent glands .
Made the one mistake of having one cut up with a bandsaw though , made some nice rounds steaks from a half frozen hind. That saw smeared the marrrow on each steak and that meat was only fit for dog food.
Debone , trim the fat and sinew , leaves nothing but fine red meat.

chilcotin hillbilly
11-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Prep your deer properly in the field, keep it clean and you won't have a gamey piece of meat. Most of my deer are shot late november and I can say the only one I had that was bad was all my fault. I did not cool it down quick enough as it was t-shirt weather even in late November.

chilcotin hillbilly
11-17-2013, 07:53 AM
so you guys are saying that an overheated..exhausted..dehydrated animal that is fasting is just as good as one fat and lazy.....really??? It makes me wonder if you ever got one early.......

Your right, September bucks are best!

Papa Sasquatch
11-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Add spices

hunter1993ap
11-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Your right, September bucks are best!

but the difference doesn't go from inedible to the best tasting deer in the word. the difference is minor at most, but noticeable.

M.Dean
11-17-2013, 10:29 AM
I've taken Bucks at all times of the year, I find a 2x2 or 3x3 Buck taken at the first of the season are incredible table fare! And, I've taken Bucks that stunk so bloody bad during the rut, I gagged just walking up to it, never mind gutting it! But, like most guys have said, once you get the hide and glands off the old Rut'in Buck, it start's to look and smell like just like the young one from earlier in the season. I think a big mistake some guys make is cutting or even touching the rear leg glands with there knife or what ever else there using to clean the Buck with, then, without wiping the blade clean, they start cutting around the hind quarters, leaving the smelly gland juice on the meat, which once it sinks in a bit, is real hard to get rid of, unless you cut that spot out completely. We try to take a gallon or two of water with us on the Quads, it really helps we find to wash from the tenderloin area back, on some I take a clean cloth with the water and do a good scrub job in there, just in case some pee, or poop, or gland crap's leaked on the meat. And, even with the stinkiest of Bucks, once we've got it hanging and skinned, pressure washed and dried, when it's wheeled into the cold room, there's literately zero smell of old Rutt'in Buck on that Critter! If the meat is looked after properly, about the only difference between both Bucks will be tenderness. Over the years I've had the odd larger Buck steaks way tougher than a young one, and, when were cutting up the meat, lots of times I'll have a cast iron pan on one of my camping stoves off to the side, add some butter, garlic, salt and pepper, and then a decent cut of meat from the Buck, and then we try it. That determines weather we package it as Deer Steaks and Roasts, or we cut it up and get some dam fine Jerky Meat!!! I've sliced up lots of entire hind quarters from older animals and made Jerky or Sausage with it, and believe me you can really tell the difference!About the only thing we don't use from the animal is the scream it made when it hit the ground!

MOWITCH SLAYER
11-17-2013, 10:58 AM
I learned as a kid on the farm 40 years ago that the meat u butcher well only be as good as it can be with proper care . Cooling the meat and keeping it as clean as possible is very important. Ive left the farm years ago but i still practice those rules in my hunting. Ive put 180'' bucks on the ground the last week of the season . Some have smelled like they have been hanging with a skunk . Getting the hide off as soon as possible and washing the whole deer down with cold water . The pinker the fat, the futher along in the rut , the longer i hang it .9 degrees for 5-7 days for a old bugger. I aways save the back straps. Cook them slow with your favorite spices. The rest of the deer goes into dinner sausage,smokies and peperonie. Fills me with pride how the grandkids walk in the door wanting wild meat for super.

longstonec
11-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Only ever wind up with very very tough meat. so i make

Roasts,
boervoers
landjeagers
jerky
stew
burger

MMMM

Timbow
11-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Most of mine have been November bucks , have never had one of the mythical stinking meat Mulies, always handled them carefully , staying away from the scent glands .
Made the one mistake of having one cut up with a bandsaw though , made some nice rounds steaks from a half frozen hind. That saw smeared the marrrow on each steak and that meat was only fit for dog food.
Debone , trim the fat and sinew , leaves nothing but fine red meat.

Right on the money.

I'm really surprised that I only read one post regarding de-boning. A oldtimer long ago told me to de-bone all wild game, especially deer during the rut to really enjoy the benefits of wild game.

Does everybody de-bone wild game?

M.Dean
11-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Right on the money.

Does everybody de-bone wild game? Yes. My dog eats the bones!

r106
11-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Had a round steak on Thursday from the buck we got last weekend and it was great. Very tender. We were carefull of sent glands, got the hide off quick. Next day we deboned and cut it up. We trimmed all silver skin and fat. Good tasty meat. We cut it into steaks and Jerky or grinder meat

r106
11-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Right on the money.

I'm really surprised that I only read one post regarding de-boning. A oldtimer long ago told me to de-bone all wild game, especially deer during the rut to really enjoy the benefits of wild game.

I was always told the game taste comes from the fat and the bones get ride of them and take of the meat it should be good

sawmill
11-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Right on the money.

I do,I have a bandsaw but it`s such a pain in the ass to clean after.Anybody around here want one cheap?I dr-bone everything.Even grouse.