PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on this article?

JasonH
11-14-2013, 07:31 PM
I know that no majority of us are biologists or an animal researcher of any type, but I want to know your opinion on this article...

http://nowolfhaters.blogspot.ca/

Gateholio
11-14-2013, 07:36 PM
It is best ignored.

albravo2
11-14-2013, 07:45 PM
We may not be biologists, but the least knowledgeable person on here knows more than your average New York lawyer.

We were up the Hurley, North Creek FSR and some toward Tenquille lake over the weekend. Couldn't believe how much wolf sign there is. Absolutely everywhere we went.

Cordillera
11-14-2013, 08:20 PM
The situation in the us is way different than here. They almost extirpated wolves from much of their range, have reintroduced them with some success, and now the argument is about whether the reintroduction has been successful enough to delist them. Of course delisting would mean you can start to manage their numbers which is not too popular. I understand the science is clear that for part of their ranges, they really are no longer endangered. They breed profilically and would be really hard to wipe out again.

lonnie
11-14-2013, 08:28 PM
It's a hard call, some states have healthy wolf populations that could use more liberal harvests, but many states that have historically had wolves have none or few... wolves play their part in functional ecosystems, and some areas where there are very low or non existent wolf populations are very overpopulated with WT deer.

wsm
11-14-2013, 08:37 PM
the article is a perfect example of peoples feeling , and how some think that is the way wildlife should be managed. as stated above the US is a special case.

JasonH
11-14-2013, 08:38 PM
@Cordillera, I just don't know what situation is on wolf hunting in the US. I can see how different it can be though, from the US wolf pop. to Canada's.

brian
11-14-2013, 08:57 PM
The wolf situation in the US is nothing like the one here. There are big competing interests in areas where wolves have been reintroduced. They were killed off in these areas to make way for ranchers and farmers. The ranchers want nothing to do with wolves eating into their bottom line where as the naturalists want to see the wolves flourish as a part of a healthy ecosystem. There is a lot of political pressure on both sides, which is probably why a bunch of lawyers from across the country are getting their noses involved.