PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel vs deer?

Quince
11-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Do squirrels give away deer/moose positions? Im undecided.

421fighter
11-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Yes they do. But, they also return the favour to the deer! More than once I have snuck into a place that deer like to eat, and while standing there, am busted by a squirrel just above me letting all around know something is out of place. I have been able to use chattering squirrels to my advantage, though by finding out what they are chattering about, and locate deer from it. All the moose I have bagged have been with out their aid, though. Dave

sawmill
11-14-2013, 01:01 PM
They sure as hell give away my location.

butthead
11-14-2013, 01:04 PM
yes they do
was listening to squirles one day and they were chriping going around me
thought the deer was coming right to me but it turned out to be a big cougar stalking me
thank g__ i was paying attention to the squirle
ever have one chirping at your as u walk by
same thing with the deer they chirp at it

11-14-2013, 01:08 PM
yes.......

brian
11-14-2013, 01:45 PM
For sure, just a couple of weeks ago a near by squirrel was kind enough to warn me of a deers presence.

BiG Boar
11-14-2013, 02:19 PM
I have shot deer under squirels, so I would say yes.

RINO
11-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Skippy sent me a Email last month.. told me to head to Victoria.. Wasn't sure what that was all about.. It now makes sense..

Big Lew
11-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Most definitely, but they're not selective in finking on any mammal, bird, or reptile potentially threatening them.
Squirrels, crows, ravens, and even beavers have busted me many times.

11-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Most definitely, but they're not selective in finking on any mammal, bird, or reptile potentially threatening them.
Squirrels, crows, ravens, and even beavers have busted me many times.

Exactly, it isnt a "Oh there is a deer" but it is an indication you need to pay attention that way

Stillhunting
11-14-2013, 03:39 PM
I shot my first buck because a squirrel gave away his location. I heard the natter on the other side of a thick clump of trees a 100 yards off and thought there is no way he knows I'm here there must be something coming so I held tight and out walks a beauty 4point. Usually they are just nattering at each other or you, but every once in a while they give away an animals position that you are targeting. I was calling moose at the edge of a nice swamp one fall and a squirrel started giving me the business, but was so focused on me he didn't notice the great horned owl swoop down and snatch him off his perch. It was awesome.

brian
11-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Usually they are just nattering at each other or you.

Listen to them long enough and you realize they have a language. Once you figure that out you will be able to discern the difference between them bitching at each other and them putting up an alarm call.

a squirrel started giving me the business, but was so focused on me he didn't notice the great horned owl swoop down and snatch him off his perch. It was awesome.

Oh how often have I wanted this to happen to a squirrel giving me a hard time! That is so cool.

hare_assassin
11-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Sometimes squirrels bitch a little too much.

Ambush
11-14-2013, 06:23 PM
That's why I always carry a six foot, precision blowgun in my pocket and several poison darts taped to my wrist.

Dead squirrels keep your secrets. :mrgreen: