PDA

View Full Version : wolf in the okanagan

valleycowboy
02-02-2007, 05:46 AM
just seen this on castanet.net.there is a pic on the site.

Wolves In The Okanagan
by Kelly Hayes - Story: 26377
Feb. 01, 2007 / 4:00 pm

The proof is in the pictures.

Local conservation officers have released a few photos of a wolf -- a rare sight in the Okanagan.

Conservation Officers Greg Hoyer and Ed Seitz have recently come across a black wolf found dead on the Joe Rich main Forest Service road. It was struck by a truck a week ago.

Hoyer says wolf sightings are rare in the Kelowna area.

"This black wolf is the first confirmed wolf in the Kelowna district, for at least the past 18 years that I have been here. I suspect it has been many many years since we have had wolves."

Hoyer says there's reason to believe there's a pack of wolves roaming the area.

"The loggers say there has been a pack of 3 or 4 wolves hanging around this area for the past few weeks. The snow is quite deep here, there are no deer wintering up this high, the only tracks I saw were moose, so I assume this is what they are after."

Hoyer says he's been hearing reports of wolf sightings and now there's proof.

"It only has been the past year or two that I have been getting reports of people who have seen wolves. I was not totally convinced until now, however with the increased frequency of the reported sightings I knew it would only be time before we got confirmation. Seeing is believing."
http://castanet.net/newNews/file.gif (http://castanet.net/content/1170375388554.JPG) Larger picture (http://castanet.net/content/1170375388554.JPG) Link: Wolves In BC (http://www.bceh.com/wildlife/wolf.htm)

hoochie
02-02-2007, 05:56 AM
for some reason it wont let me cut and paste from my photoshop account.. wierd.....

Steeleco
02-02-2007, 09:00 AM
A few years back we saw a big black wolf crossing the road near Pothole creek just east of Merritt. I've seen them a few times in 8-05 and 8-06. One day I might even connect on one??

GoatGuy
02-02-2007, 10:22 AM
COOL!:)

I took pics of a black wolf 3 or 4 years ago on the west side of OK Lake; they're definitely around.

Chuck
02-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Lots of 'em in 3, I've seen 'em in 4, but only once, so why not 8!

canadamoose1
02-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Got this big male mear Quesnel. More wolf sign than deer or moose.http://www.hunt101.com/img/449775.jpg

Red Foreman
02-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Here's the pic.

http://www.castanet.net/content/1170374330age.jpg

358mag
02-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Huuummmmm looks like a black coyote !!!!

CNE
02-03-2007, 04:29 PM
My wife and I watched one loner in a field by our house in the North Okanagan. We also saw tracks on two other occasions. I suppose they could cover alot of ground if they wanted to.

sealevel
02-03-2007, 05:49 PM
theres allways been wolves in the north ok and shuswap i saw a pack up whitemans creek 10 years ago. I shot a wolf on the ice on bolean lake in 1981 another the next year on the south end of mt ida.

Pete
02-03-2007, 08:30 PM
we have had wolves in the Okanagan for years but the numbers have not been great enough to have an open season on them. Recently the numbers have been increasing to the point that there may be a season in Region 8 in the near future.
cheers
Pete

Elk-Aholic
02-04-2007, 10:24 PM
They say that that wolf was found on the road....what are the chances someone smoked it and left it there for "all" to see??????It is only a matter of time before the wolf herd gets strong on the Okanagan and then hunting season starts:)

358mag
02-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Sorry to tell you sports fans but a wolf hunt in region 8 will never happen.Been sitting on a few regulation meetings with MOE and everytime that subject get shot down very quickly one simple reason, the Okanagan First Nations think the wolf is a "sacred animal",maybe when the wolf packs get large enuff + start eating all the moose + deer in region 8 they may change the opition and I just wonder how many tax $$$ of yours + mine hard earned monies that will take.

bayou
02-06-2007, 07:07 AM
hunter 47 from your comments I take it poaching is ok with you and if your willing to do it on one animal probably all if it benifits you

boxhitch
02-06-2007, 04:26 PM
hunter 47 from your comments I take it poaching is ok with you and if your willing to do it on one animal probably all if it benifits you
Whats it to you ? Maybe he's talking pests on private property, and doesn't want to raise the feathers of some native brethern. Chill 8)

BlacktailStalker
02-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Yeah, until you call a guy an illegal hunter or poacher, maybe find out a bit more about the guy first.
Assumptions pretty much a dead give away from the guy dishing them out.
You've pretty much talked your way out of knowledge and information that is equivalent to the majority of people on this forum, a top notch guy who bends over backwards to help complete strangers in any way possible just to feed his love of hunting.
How do I know? My avatar is compliments of Hunter1947 and the words stated above.

bayou
02-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Now i will post what i really meant. I hate Wolfe's ,there eating machines ,look what they did on vancover island to the deer population years back ,look what there doing in Montana séance they re introduced the wolf. I do obied by the law and regs ,always will , and I'm not a poacher:mad: . I was trying to keep it under the mat saying much about what i think about wolfs. Now i am speaking out to protect me. I would shoot any wolf that came on private land ,or on land that i was allowed to hunt on ,then i would shoot shovel and shut up. Thats what i meant. Some people like wolfs on this forum ,but not me. I'm not saying to kill them all we do need some out there ,but not in great numbers ,they have to be controlled ,like any other predator.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif hunter 1947.
Hunter 1947
You should just say what you mean if you dont like wolfs you dont like wolfs and if you hunt and shoot them legally theres no reason to say shoot shovel and shut up on your first thread the way you said it, it sounded like no matter where or when.
Ive spent a fair bit of time in areas with wolves and the other predators and have even shot a few wolves and yes everthing has to be controlled, but the worst predator in my opinion and the one in the greatest numbers is humans, now theres some killing machines. The most dead animals(human Killed) I have found in one bunch is 4 and a friend found 12 these were all elk I have never seen this by wolves. The numbers I have heard from this past season is quit unreal.
Another thing I find weird is in the areas you like to hunt your elk they have had some extremly high harvests last few seasons and say the elk and deer numbers are high but if you talk to the local trappers etc they say the wolf numbers are high dont you think it should be the opposite.

boxhitch
02-06-2007, 10:52 PM
I have found in one bunch is 4 and a friend found 12 these were all elk
Sounds like a good day in the field. Witnessing someone else success is nothing to get wound about.

I have never seen this by wolves.

Study wolves for a while, and you will find there is nothing more ruthless, or as wasteful.

Soup
02-07-2007, 01:02 AM
Does anyone remember the story about "the wolf, shot in the OK by a rancher"? I believe it was in the early 90's. Anyways the ranch borders the US and is near Rock Creek. I remember there was a bunch of environmental groups up in arms over the shooting of such a rare animal.
If I remember correctly there was an article in BC outdoors and it was mentioned in the news on TV. I'll try and dig through my copies...

hunter1947
02-07-2007, 05:49 AM
Hunter 1947
You should just say what you mean if you dont like wolfs you dont like wolfs and if you hunt and shoot them legally theres no reason to say shoot shovel and shut up on your first thread the way you said it, it sounded like no matter where or when.
Ive spent a fair bit of time in areas with wolves and the other predators and have even shot a few wolves and yes everything has to be controlled, but the worst predator in my opinion and the one in the greatest numbers is humans, now there's some killing machines. The most dead animals(human Killed) I have found in one bunch is 4 and a friend found 12 these were all elk I have never seen this by wolves. The numbers I have heard from this past season is quit unreal.
Another thing I find weird is in the areas you like to hunt your elk they have had some extremly high harvests last few seasons and say the elk and deer numbers are high but if you talk to the local trappers etc they say the wolf numbers are high dont you think it should be the opposite. I myself am a registered trapper and yes it should be the other way around for predators to pray. And i do know a big time trapper that lives in cranbrook and teaches trapping courses ,his name is phil bradshaw. He has a registered trap line in the sunrise creek road area. And as far as numbers go for the harvest of bull elk being up ????? ,i talked to a few of my friends and others that live there and i was informed they the bulls were down in numbers compared to the year before. This information is coming from people that have hunted elk and harvest elk there for years. But the cows are up in harvest because the farmers want them thined out because of crop damage. hunter 1947.

troutseeker
02-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Study wolves for a while, and you will find there is nothing more ruthless, or as wasteful.

I disagree, the human animal is much more ruthless and wasteful.

Troutseeker

hunter1947
02-10-2007, 06:08 AM
I disagree, the human animal is much more ruthless and wasteful.

Troutseeker You are right there ,but what do we do about it ??????,i would like to come back to this world 50 years from now and see what man has done to this planet :shock: ,hunter 1947.