PDA

View Full Version : New to waterfowl... want to try for Snow Geese

deltawaterfowler
11-14-2013, 12:02 AM
Hi there,

First post on the site. I'm new to waterfowl, heck new to hunting in general, but excited to get my feet wet. So far we haven't had much luck, but not worried. My friend and I have been doing lots of spotting in the Ladner area and along Boundary Bay. It seems that ducks are abound, but the snow geese seem pretty elusive. So far the most geese we've seen have been along Roberts bank, but coaxing them down without a tonne of decoys and access to a field seems like an impossible task. Another spot we my try would be the two little "islands" just off the tip of the Reifel bird sanctuary which would be by boat only. I also thought about possibly setting up some decoys somewhere along the jetty in the water, but if the river is moving too quick, it might be dangerous and/or not offer enough cover to even work.

We're in the North Delta area and would love to know if there are any other areas close to home that would be worth checking out.

Thanks in advance and happy hunting!

Kudu
11-14-2013, 06:44 AM
Hi there,

First post on the site. I'm new to waterfowl, heck new to hunting in general, but excited to get my feet wet. So far we haven't had much luck, but not worried. My friend and I have been doing lots of spotting in the Ladner area and along Boundary Bay. It seems that ducks are abound, but the snow geese seem pretty elusive. So far the most geese we've seen have been along Roberts bank, but coaxing them down without a tonne of decoys and access to a field seems like an impossible task. Another spot we my try would be the two little "islands" just off the tip of the Reifel bird sanctuary which would be by boat only. I also thought about possibly setting up some decoys somewhere along the jetty in the water, but if the river is moving too quick, it might be dangerous and/or not offer enough cover to even work.

We're in the North Delta area and would love to know if there are any other areas close to home that would be worth checking out.

Thanks in advance and happy hunting!

Welcome to HBC DWF - a joke is mandatory on your first post.......

Canoe passage is your best bet for snows, difficult without a boat - but doable, drive down to the end of river road and head out into the marsh - just be very carefully of the tides, you really don't want to get caught out there with water rising fast.

deltawaterfowler
11-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the reply! I went down to take a look at Canoe pass. Looks like the water would come up quick along that stretch and right up against the dyke too; seemed good for ducks, but didn't see many geese flying... I think we'll have to try and watch their habits more; figure out where they eat, then watch them fly back to where they settle in for the night.

A joke on the first post?

Why don't blind men skydive? Cause it scares the shit out of the seeing eye dog!

:)

f350ps
11-15-2013, 11:11 PM
Canoe Pass would probably be yer worst choice, it gets pounded wayyyy to hard by the sky busters everyday! You pretty much have to drive around daily, find a field they are just starting to feed in then try and get permission. Good luck,K

deltawaterfowler
11-29-2013, 01:47 AM
Can't sleep! Excited. We're off tomorrow morning to give things a shot. We're going to bring a canoe along to see if any of the smaller islands in the shooting zone off Westham and Canoe Pass give us a better opportunity. Not expecting anything so even if we have ZERO luck it's ok. After all it's called hunting not CATCHING right? Over the next couple of years, we'll start to gear up as I think doing things with out a shit load of decoys and gear is going to be hard. But heck we gotta start somewhere right?

Spy
11-29-2013, 02:06 AM
Find a flight path and sit on it. Good luck & let us know how you made out.

deltawaterfowler
11-30-2013, 12:06 AM
Find a flight path and sit on it. Good luck & let us know how you made out.

I joined the Skybusters club today! Saw thousands of geese in the morning but all of them were flying too high. Tried for ducks in the afternoon and I took one legitimate shot. Missed. My friend had two shots, missed them both.