PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for my cow elk draw 7-20 A

odie1830
11-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Heading up for opening day(dec 1st) any advice from past hunters who have been up for that hunt (cow elk 7-20 A) any advice would be greatly appreciated.

leadpillproductions
11-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Ill keep my eyes open .

Terrier Blades
11-13-2013, 06:50 PM
You need to get hold of the local farmers. Usually they are fairly ok with hunting as the elk take a heavy toll on their hay.
East of Chetwynd (Jackfish road) there is lots of crown land accessible for this hunt, but that's mostly road hunting and heavy hunting pressure; check in with the landowners.
South of Dawson is good too but mostly private property.
There is a good elk population all over but access and permission on private property might be the issue. get yourself a government map with all the landowners and make your plan. If your are around here, you can get that map @ Corlane' Sporting Goods in Dawson

good luck

mikek
11-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Call Ahead get permission, don't show up and ask if you can shoot the elk standing in a farmers field, get a land owner map and call ahead. Don't assume anything when it comes to property, Trespassing is a huge problem here. There is a good population of elk should have good success.

f350ps
11-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Cold, cold, cold, that's what ya need! Like -20 or better, good luck! K

shelg
11-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Try the cattleman's association. They will forward your info to the ranchers that are having problems with the elk. It worked well for me. You can also try this website it also worked. http://hunterlandownerlink.com

moosinaround
11-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Heading up for opening day(dec 1st) any advice from past hunters who have been up for that hunt (cow elk 7-20 A) any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Save fuel, and put that money towards a grass fed beef!! Not what yer looking for, but the honest truth!! Moosin

boxhitch
11-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Save fuel, and put that money towards a grass fed beef!!Thats not hunting. Sounds rather anti- ? )

IME , most days the elk are off the fields before sun-up and back out after dark , maybe a 1/2 hr a.m. and 1/2 hr p.m. to hunt. The rest of the day is good for making contacts.
Bring some cards.
Try to set-up an ambush where they are traveling to and from, through wooded areas.

The Dawg
11-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Save fuel, and put that money towards a grass fed beef!! Not what yer looking for, but the honest truth!! Moosin

Didn't you guys get two cow elk already up there this year? :D

moosinaround
11-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Yup Dawg, I've been hunting up there since 2007! There are elk everywhere up there! Don't worry about a 10 day trip, drive up, shoot elk, and drive home!! It's a cake walk!! I would just drive around till you see elk in a field knock on the door and shoot the elk! That's what I do! Dec 1 elk will be fairly calm, as they haven't been shot at for a month! They will be in groups so they will be easy! Post up your kill pics, remember to clear all blood and guts from the pic, antis will post that stuff everywhere!!

The Dawg
11-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Yup Dawg, I've been hunting up there since 2007! There are elk everywhere up there! Don't worry about a 10 day trip, drive up, shoot elk, and drive home!! It's a cake walk!! I would just drive around till you see elk in a field knock on the door and shoot the elk! That's what I do! Dec 1 elk will be fairly calm, as they haven't been shot at for a month! They will be in groups so they will be easy! Post up your kill pics, remember to clear all blood and guts from the pic, antis will post that stuff everywhere!!

K just checking.

Theres my buddy Mike ;)

brutus
11-14-2013, 07:45 AM
True there is more elk on p land.but there is lots of elk on crown in 7-20a big area just like looking for a needle in a hay stack if going up there blind good luck

bcfirefly
11-14-2013, 10:24 AM
A good thread as me and my buddy have the same draw but are not planning on going up right away. Don't know anyone up that way so ya makes it a bit harder going in blind for sure. Let us know how you make out.

d6dan
11-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Best times are later when the temp drops below -25 and there hungry. Get permission from some land owners and give'er.

Swamp mule
11-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Yes the elk are moving around but there is not enough snow out there right now. Maybe 4 inches at most. Just looking out the window and there is blue sky with temps at 4+ and the snow is melting a little. Not enough to drive them out of the bush. There was quite a bit of feed in the forests this year and there was no realy reason to start on the crops. i have not heard anything at the moment regarding issues but i am sure that it will occur once the temps start dropping and the snow comes.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Thats not hunting. Sounds rather anti- ? )

IME , most days the elk are off the fields before sun-up and back out after dark , maybe a 1/2 hr a.m. and 1/2 hr p.m. to hunt. The rest of the day is good for making contacts.
Bring some cards.
Try to set-up an ambush where they are traveling to and from, through wooded areas.

This is good advice. Glad I followed it.

SSS

d6dan
11-14-2013, 01:09 PM

SSS

Brent, did you have a draw?.

Ferenc
11-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Make sure your rig and all your hunting gear is in very good working order !!!

odie1830
11-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I will post once I come back. Should be fun, I just like getting out and if i dont get anything thats ok too! I just love (as i call it , camping with a riffle) getting out with the possibility of getting a nice cow elk! Thanks again!

boxhitch
11-14-2013, 04:46 PM

SSSHope it works for us again , once is luck , twice is good management

Stone Sheep Steve
11-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Brent, did you have a draw?.

2 years ago but my daughter has a draw this year.
Just hoping for fresh snow to tell the tale.

SSS

luckofthedraw
09-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Try the cattleman's association. They will forward your info to the ranchers that are having problems with the elk. It worked well for me. You can also try this website it also worked. http://hunterlandownerlink.com

An uncle, and hunting partner of mine has this draw this year. I'm not certin I will make the trek, but I'm doing some recon on the trip for him as I am more computer literate. I checked the above link but that didn't seem to work. I have emailed the cattlemans association for a list of ranchers with elk problems. We will see how that pans out. The draw is open from dec 1-feb 28, does anyone have input as to what time would be best. Any furthur tips are apprieciated.

Thanks
LOTD

luckofthedraw
09-16-2014, 11:36 AM
An uncle, and hunting partner of mine has this draw this year. I'm not certin I will make the trek, but I'm doing some recon on the trip for him as I am more computer literate. I checked the above link but that didn't seem to work. I have emailed the cattlemans association for a list of ranchers with elk problems. We will see how that pans out. The draw is open from dec 1-feb 28, does anyone have input as to what time would be best. Any furthur tips are apprieciated.

Thanks
LOTD

The cattleman's association doesn't keep a list of ranchers with problem elk on file. They did however take my email and forward it to there members in the peace region. Nothing has panned out from that so far. Any other tips or pointers out there? Cheers. LOTD

moosinaround
09-16-2014, 12:44 PM
The cattleman's association doesn't keep a list of ranchers with problem elk on file. They did however take my email and forward it to there members in the peace region. Nothing has panned out from that so far. Any other tips or pointers out there? Cheers. LOTD
As much as it sucks, cold and snow are your friends on this hunt! If there is no snow or brutal cold, the elk stay out of farmers bales for the most part. I will wait for the snow pack to settle this year, as my first trip up there last year was end of Dec, beginning of Jan, and the snow was deep and brutal to get around in. Way better in Feb! Moosin

srupp
09-16-2014, 01:36 PM
mmossin sent a pm..

srupp