PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Oregon 450 GPS

scottwh
11-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Looking at getting a new GPS. I like the touch screen idea of the Garmin Oregon 450. Has all the features I want and more. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? Is the touch screen a pain? Or would I just be better getting the better of the Garmin E-Trex? I know there are others out there, but these are what I have been looking at so far. Let me know what you all think!

lorneparker1
11-12-2013, 11:00 PM
I have one. I like it. I don't use it to nearly its capabilities. touch screen works fine when freezing cold, or when soaking wet. I don't think I will ever need to buy another gps.

CLoverdale
11-13-2013, 12:42 PM
I use the 450 for hunting and backpacking. I've found it to be much more useful than the Etrex units that Garmin makes. The extra money for an Oregon series is well worth it. The track and waypoint features are excellent for hunting.
I had some issues with the compass failing to calibrate but sent it out to a place in Quebec where it was fixed (replaced the guts and screen) for $150 plus freight. I use the Topo Canada map set in the unit. If you don't have it you could try to find a friend to loan the CD.
To me the big advantage is that the touch screen will work with gloves on. The Montana units have a larger screen. When you are using the 450 Oregon on a gigher resolution it would be nice to have a bigger screen.

RINO
11-13-2013, 01:05 PM
I have a 550 and never had a issue with the touch screen... My old eyes do suffer with the small displays so looking at the Montana now?

Singleshotneeded
11-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Looking at getting a new GPS. I like the touch screen idea of the Garmin Oregon 450. Has all the features I want and more. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? Is the touch screen a pain? Or would I just be better getting the better of the Garmin E-Trex? I know there are others out there, but these are what I have been looking at so far. Let me know what you all think!
Scott, for 2013 Garmin changed the touch screen from pressure-activated to capacitive(like the iPhone). The new screen won't work in the rain or with gloves on anymore...if you go for an Oregon, make sure it's a 2012 with the pressure screen. You can google this and check it out for yourself.

MooseKnuckle
11-13-2013, 01:20 PM
I bought the Montana 600T in September and so far it has been really great very accurate, screen size is very nice tons and tons of features but it is a bit bulking to carry when hiking, I am using the topo canada with the bc back roads maps and have also been playing around with the birdseye view imagery a little but it could be better a lot of the images are dark or cloudy. Bought mine from GPS central for a good price. I would deff recommend it and buy it again, but take a look at the size if size could be an issue for you

Sitkaspruce
11-13-2013, 01:48 PM
I have one. I like it. I don't use it to nearly its capabilities. touch screen works fine when freezing cold, or when soaking wet. I don't think I will ever need to buy another gps.

X2, great unit for what I need.

Cheers

SS

swampthing
11-13-2013, 06:14 PM
The company I work for just sent me one of these. I haven't played with it yet but it looks like a cool unit. I have been using an e trex for years and always liked it. I also have a garmin rhino that I don't really care for, except the built in walkie talkie feature.

358mag
11-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Have a Oregon 450 been a good unit be careful with the touch screen it scratch's very easy and buy the best battery's and carry extra as its a battery eater .

goatdancer
11-13-2013, 06:29 PM
If you're worried about scratching the screen, get Ghost Armour applied to the screen. It will protect it and let you do the touch screen thing.

pnbrock
11-13-2013, 06:36 PM
great but as said its a battery eater!!!!!

Stone C. Killer
11-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Yup, I only turn it on when I need to, then turn it off quick. Have the ghost armor screen protector on it. Works well, I did have an issue with the screen calibration but called Garmin and they walked me through a screen re calibration process over the phone. Now when I touch a letter on the screen it works.

RINO
11-14-2013, 09:13 AM

Check out Cabelas US... Online sale $179.99

scottwh
11-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Will check out Cabelas... Found them for $199 at Costco online shopping aswell. May be cheeper than paying duty and shipping from US. I think its the one I want. Checked one out at a hunting store in Kelowna but they were around $340 for the exact same one! I'd rather an extra $140 in the pocket :)

v-king
11-14-2013, 11:29 PM
I was thinking of the oregon but went with etrex 20 instead.

k-dawg
01-15-2014, 12:11 AM
I was thinking of the oregon but went with etrex 20 instead.
what made you decide to go with the etrex 20?

Chopper
01-15-2014, 12:13 AM
i have one. I like it. I don't use it to nearly its capabilities. Touch screen works fine when freezing cold, or when soaking wet. I don't think i will ever need to buy another gps.

x2 ........

coach
01-15-2014, 12:23 AM
I have one and really like it. The ghost armour is a must for any touch screen. As has been mentioned, always bring an extra set of batteries. I also have the BC backroads mini SD.

quaint bucket
01-15-2014, 12:06 PM
what made you decide to go with the etrex 20?

My wife and I were talking about the merits about both and we agreed for the extrex 20 (my christmas gift as a surprise from her!) for price to performance. I'm not a big fan of the touch screen and heard people complained about the touch screen being activated and wasting battery life. We got it price matched shortly after Christmas @ London Drugs for almost $100 off regular retail. VERY HAPPY WITH IT.

I've used the etrex 3 times now for hunting and hiking. it's really an awesome device and really easy to use. I can see how some people would want a touch screen. Inputting text can be time consuming but I use shorthands to describe my waypoints instead of writing a novel.

Both GPS will do the same thing. As far as I'm concerned, if you're going to pay that much for the Oregon GPS 450, you might as well splurge for the Garmin Rino GPS...

PRO:
Works like a GPS should.
Good battery life. Left it on purpose to see how long it would last. I would say ~18 hours... I like using disposable batteries much better than rechargables....
Custom maps (I think you can do that with the Oregon)
Not a touchscreen (I like this)
Small and light
Orange :mrgreen:
accurate. when i use this with a compass, i am pretty much unbeatable.

CON:
Doesn't have a touchscreen (some people don't like this)
it does have a small screen. this does not bother me.

boxhitch
01-15-2014, 07:46 PM
Check out Cabelas US... Online sale $179.99No surprise as it is a discontinued model , making way for the 650