PDA

View Full Version : Wanna give Waterfowl hunting a try but no dog

sapper
11-12-2013, 09:29 PM
I've been a big game hunter for about 7 or 8 years now and would like to get into duck and geese hunting but have always assumed that without a dog it is impossible. Am I correct on this matter? I love eating duck and hear that geese are good in pepperoni, or was it sausage? I also figure that geese and duck hunting would allow me to extend my hunting season too.

yamadirt 426
11-12-2013, 10:03 PM
A dog will find downed birds especially in marsh conditions that sometimes you cannot find even if they are under your feet. No exaggeration, I saw it this year. Dogs enable you to stay in the blind if lots of birds are around. Water retrieves are easy as pie with a dog around. They are an extra set of eyes on the sky and this has helped me many many times and they are someone to talk to when there are no birds around that day. You can jump shoot ducks on the other side of that big ditch. In my experience I have brought home 50% more birds than I would have with out my dog for many reasons. They will also increase your time in the field because you will want to work your dog often. But impossible, no. My first 2 seasons were without a pooch. We ate lots of ducks. It just wasnt as much fun for me as it is now with a dog.

lorneparker1
11-12-2013, 10:09 PM
I don't have a dog.

Kudu
11-12-2013, 10:28 PM
I don't have a dog.

No dog would have you!

Having a dog is not mandatory - but as Yammie said, hunting either the delta or pit marshes is difficult without one.

As a beginner you are much better off hunting fields and areas with small dams and ponds, if you have a good look at the Fraser valley special areas hunting map - combine that with Google Earth, you will be able to nail down a number of potential areas - then all you need to do is scout.

I try and stay away from the obvious places - (that is where everyone else is)

Over the last couple of seasons my hunting partner (son) and I have spent countless hours scouting, once you figure out where the birds are, you can pattern them, and then follow them to their feeding areas from their roost areas - getting land owner permission is the final step - in most cases (99 out of a 100) the farmer will allow you to hunt especially if you have a youngster with you.

The Sumas flats are littered with potential areas - as is the Hatzic / Dewdney area. All you need to do is venture out and look.

limit time
11-12-2013, 10:28 PM
I don't have a dog.
Same.

If you have a boat you can get to some wicked areas. Once the salmon runs are done or have slowed, the weekend worriers are off the river and you have a lot of area to your self.

Foxton Gundogs
11-12-2013, 11:24 PM
I've been a big game hunter for about 7 or 8 years now and would like to get into duck and geese hunting but have always assumed that without a dog it is impossible. Am I correct on this matter? I love eating duck and hear that geese are good in pepperoni, or was it sausage? I also figure that geese and duck hunting would allow me to extend my hunting season too.

Not impossable but as Yammie says a dog will make your life in the blind a whole lot easier. They will up your chance of recovery of shot birds 10 fold and they will allow you to hunt places that are out of the question without a reliable retriever. Yhere are many great ways to eat waterfowl I always have a bunch of peperoni salami and frying sausage done as well as eating it "fresh".

[/QUOTE]I don't have a dog[/QUOTE]
Lorne all I can say is "I'm sorry" lol :mrgreen:

Ian F.
11-13-2013, 06:30 AM
Love my dog, love hunting with my dog.

Zoë lives with us 365 days a year, I hunt most years 30-60 days, that leaves 300+ days of her just being a dog.

I've hunted most of my life without a dog, pick your shots,try not to shoot where you can't retrieve, and by all means don't ever think you can't go hunting because you don't have dog!

Ian

BiG Boar
11-13-2013, 07:50 AM
You definitely can use a dog. Just like you need a beretta. Fishing pole the ducks out for the first few years, then see if you really like it that much. If you do, buy a dog. I just did! Hopefully I made the right decision.

Moe.JKU
11-13-2013, 01:59 PM
I havn't owned a dog, but it would be nice. I hunt fields now so i havn't lost any this season. In the marsh of ladner i lost 3 last year.
Might as well go see if you like it.

303Brit
11-13-2013, 10:16 PM
I don't have a dog either, fair amount of time is required for one. Sure it would be nice at times, but for the style of fowling we do not required.

Sako 75
11-14-2013, 10:20 PM
I do not have dog either but have lots young hunters willing to retrieved the down ducks.

kyleklassen
11-14-2013, 10:26 PM
dogs....blah they retrieve a few ducks and feel they earned my whole bag of cheezies...Hawkins to boot.

sapper
11-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Thanks, guys. Now I just need to find a mentor here on the mainland or go visit Lozzie on the island. ;-)

rides bike to work
11-24-2013, 11:21 PM
one thing I learned about hunting without a dog is after you drop a duck go get it right away. even if they are dead on there feet they put there head down and b-line it for thick cover even diving to the bottom of a ditch and holding themselves under water. can be comical as my buddy dropped a nice mallard in the middle of a corn stubble field I told him you better go get it . He said no it aint goin any where.then I said no look there it goes head down waddling towards some thick black berries 100 yards away . hes still going . so theres my buddy making a 150 yard dash just catching the duck before it hit the prickles

3mk
12-11-2013, 04:40 PM
What kind of dog pure bread or something Weird like a labor doddel and is it trained all ready .

fuzzy 63
12-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Hunting in matsqui with my first lab , My shot wounded a greenhead that landed in the drainage ditch and when amber went for the retrieve the duck swam under the surface and grabbed a reed on the ditch bottom . amber swam down as well about 5ft and brought the bird back up to my hand . never could of happened without a dog .