PDA

View Full Version : Lower Mainland Bow Only Areas?

Tuckster
11-12-2013, 04:15 PM
I have been hearing that there are Bow-only places to hunt in the Lower Mainland, but i have had no success finding them in the Regs.

Does anyone know where they are identified and if any of it is on public land?

olympia
11-12-2013, 05:59 PM
the only place I know of it 2-16 Bowen Island but you have check it in with the RCMP and and written permission from landowner if its private land. I sent Bowen Island city hall an email and that's what I remember them saying...hang on Im opening a new tab to google their email, one sec.......bim@bimbc.ca (bim@bimbc.ca)

Coyote
11-12-2013, 08:36 PM
There is only one bow only area in the province as far as I know. The Conuma Valley on the island. There are however "no shooting" areas. No shooting is defined on page 13 of the regs as "...unlawful to discharge a firearm...". Unless specifically restricted they are open to bows. So don't look for bowhunting only areas, look for no shooting areas but make sure there are no specific restrictions. Bowen is a no shooting area (pg 35 of regs, "notice to hunters") but has special conditions.

Good luck

brian
11-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Most of the Sea to Sky up to Squamish is a no shooting zone, so by default bow only. This map (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/docs/FVSAH2012.pdf) will show you were shooting is restricted in the Fraser valley. Double check any of the municipal bylaws to make sure bows are not illegal as well. Its the municipal bylaws that trip up most people when they are looking at where to hunt with a given weapon. You can find most of them online. Any community that does not have any regulations concerning bows but disallows firearms is by default bow only. And finally as Coyote says look for no shooting areas in the regs. Those will all be open to bows unless they specifically mention bows or say no hunting or access restricted and stuff like that.

Kudu
11-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Sumas mountain is bow only - a number of bear have been taken there in the past.

nuadixion
11-18-2013, 05:25 PM
the only place I know of it 2-16 Bowen Island but you have check it in with the RCMP and and written permission from landowner if its private land. I sent Bowen Island city hall an email and that's what I remember them saying...hang on Im opening a new tab to google their email, one sec.......bim@bimbc.ca (bim@bimbc.ca)
I would not go to Bowen.....heard of a guy who went hunting there and when he came back his car was vandalized by granola munchers.