PDA

View Full Version : Lower Mainland BLACK TAIL RATTLING

11-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Any one have any success in the L/M rattling these fellows in to Shot gun range?

It's giddy up time. The Rut must be going around here.

CT

caddisguy
11-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Any one have any success in the L/M rattling these fellows in to Shot gun range?

It's giddy up time. The Rut must be going around here.

CT

I tried rattling for the first time over the weekend. Not sure about deer, but works great on cougars.

takla1
11-11-2013, 08:21 PM
spent the last 3 days living on out local mnt.out till last ,last light,up in our areas @6 am set up.Weve had fresh rubs over night appear and have smelt probably the same buck all over our area's numerous times but still a no show,thier staying nocturnal at our elevation but are comeing down at night.Mostly using the doe bleat but some light rattleing.We needlower temps and snow as we hunt the 800 ft area right now.Had to come home for a day or too as the night is just too friggen long{over 12 hrs} and too warm.Will resume on thurs for a few more nights/day on the mnt.

davet
11-11-2013, 08:33 PM
i was out in the mission area today doing some scouting. no wonder the deer are nocturnal, its like a war zone over there. heard shots going off every second.

takla1
11-11-2013, 08:55 PM
i was out in the mission area today doing some scouting. no wonder the deer are nocturnal, its like a war zone over there. heard shots going off every second.

your going to the wrong areas,go inland a few miles and get up high.Stay away from the gravel pit up Sylvester there are 20-30 mnt peaks on the way in.get out your hunting boots and climb and you will leave the noise of the valley behind and be into excellent BT country

takla1
11-11-2013, 09:35 PM

Most of the shooting your hearing are the local duck/geese hunters.When you get back a mnt or three the sound will die down some but rest assured the continuous shooting doesn't bother the blacktails their used to it;]

Brew
11-11-2013, 09:50 PM
I would stay away from the first two or three mountains for a while. I was up there plucking single stem poles for the last 4 days. Don't think the deer will like the sound of the kamov helicopter rotors breaking the sound barrier all day. Finished on Saturday. The deer should be back in a week MAYBE.

takla1
11-11-2013, 10:16 PM
I would stay away from the first two or three mountains for a while. I was up there plucking single stem poles for the last 4 days. Don't think the deer will like the sound of the kamov helicopter rotors breaking the sound barrier all day. Finished on Saturday. The deer should be back in a week MAYBE.
Ya those coptors were keeping us awake dureing our mid day snooze.Actually the deer are not bothered by all the noise,there used to planes/trains, and automobiles as well as helecoptors.I used to work close to the louheed hyw just west of mission and that small area there held at lest 3-5 ,3 point or better bucks right thru the rut.Of course you cant discharge rifles in the area.I snuck up within 10 ft of a 5 by 5 trophy bt with a unique drop tine near the mission golf course early one morning as he was fixated on a doe nearby.That buck was tall ,wide with thick bases and grey muzzle......he still haunts my dreams!

takla1
11-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Any new developments with lowermainland BT hunters.Iknow the warm weather hasn't helped,snow level too high.we had a 3 by 2 shot a mnt or two over from us last week when the snow level came half way down sumas mnt over night but since the snow levels back up its been pretty dead.may get some rain/snow tomorrow at higher elevations tho will be heading out tonight for the weekend.....

dreamseasonstu
12-17-2013, 09:31 PM
i hunt lower mainlaind BT, have got 1 per season 3 years in a row. the first 2 seasons i got decent 2 points with a rifle, this year i got a nice 3 point with my bow, small amount of antler but the bases are thick and it has 3 inch brow tines and one of the brow tines is a double, i missed on a nice buck 2 weekends ago, nice buck with tall wide horns that form that circle the BT seem to do kinda like a whitie

12-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Had em close a few times, I want em inside of 40 yards with SSG ....... ran out of opportunity ........ so till next year my chance at the BC Hatrick on bucks failed, 1 W/T 1 M D
ZERO Blacktail haha makes me try harder next year.

tarzan
12-19-2013, 11:43 AM
I trade some sheep info for blacktails, LOL. I have 2 farms in the fraser valley that I exclusively hunt with my bow. I have tried rattling several times with no success, even when I can see the bucks that I have hunted. they do respond to calling especially during the rut.

BCKyle
12-20-2013, 02:07 AM
I snuck up within 10 ft of a 5 by 5 trophy bt with a unique drop tine near the mission golf course early one morning as he was fixated on a doe nearby.That buck was tall ,wide with thick bases and grey muzzle......he still haunts my dreams!

Two words: Rambo Knife!