PDA

View Full Version : Last Log Weekend Of The Hunting Season...Who else feels like a loser? LOL.

keithb7
11-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Best 3 days of the season in a row, in my opinion. Rut is on, snow is on the ground, most road hunters are done these days. I went out hard, every day. Frustration is setting in. Still no deer down. Misery loves company! Who else is in the same boat? :-D

Back to the job tomorrow, which is really crampin my hunting time lol. We've got 8 hunting days left (weekends only). Clock is ticking, starting to feel the pressure. I am not doing anything else on a Sat or Sun until I get a deer, or the season ends. Damn.

BigGameJay
11-11-2013, 05:38 PM
I have not killed anything yet this year at all. I am getting frustrated lol.

adriaticum
11-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Lol, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. Where I am, we don't have much snow, only on the very tops of mountains. Haven't seen a deer or bear. Saw tracks in the mud yesterday though. Beautiful weekend it was, but no deer.
A native fellow I met said to pray for snow to bring them down and so I will.

Weatherby Fan
11-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Don't worry boys the whip cracks loudest at the end, lots of time left to hammer a big deer.

BRrooster
11-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Sounds like you're a dedicated hunting guy. Maybe you should look into Bowhunting. It extends the season , and is not really so hard. Heck, you just
find a good trail , sit in a tree , and they walk right by you! Dont tell any steadfast Bowhunters I said this, but, you can even bowhunt with a Crossbow.
Just remember though, it really is a close range weapon. Just because it may have a stock and a scope , in my opinion, a 50 yard shot is a longgg one.
On anouther note, did you try rattling? And no, nothing down yet.

300H&H
11-11-2013, 05:52 PM
I thought for sure I would get my mulie or WT this weekend.
But I will have to keep searching.

Kudu
11-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Went out hard - killed honkers on Saturday, Ducks on Sunday and Monday - couldn't have had more fun if I tried!

rides bike to work
11-11-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm with you I just got back from three full days in kamloops. I did not see a single deer the whole time not even a doe. I got a rabbit a grouse some good pics of some rams and a cool grey owl but not a single deer. Other years I have done this hunt and see twenty something does and a opulent small bucks a day this year sfa. I crack it up to bad luck wich happens. Oh well there is still black tails

keithb7
11-11-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm with you I just got back from three full days in kamloops. I did not see a single deer the whole time not even a doe.

Dude where did you go? I live in Kamloops and over the past 3 days out I saw about 40 does and 3 bucks!

Ron.C
11-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Keep at it. I just looked at my hunting log and since 2001, I've taken 6 deer and two elk deer on the last day of the season or the last day of a hunting trip. And 5 of those animals were taken during the last hour of hunting. Some of the most memorable moments are the ones that don't come easy.

keithb7
11-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Sounds like you're a dedicated hunting guy.
On anouther note, did you try rattling? And no, nothing down yet.

I am pretty dedicated. I think I have maybe missed 1 weekend since Oct 1. My wife and kids are starting to get it. Leave me alone until Dec 10. LOL.

I went to a new area that someone suggested I try as they had seen several white tail in the area. I saw plenty of deer tracks but no WT. I did hunker down mid day-ish and try to rattle in a WT to no avail. I saw the biggest 2 pt ever that evening. Thought for sure it was a 4 pt, but no split. Looonng, tyned 2 pt. Was cool though.

Looked this buck I just found on the net:

Rub
11-11-2013, 06:27 PM
i headed out early this mourning, got just about to the top of road it got to snotty for the ol 2wd turned around at 4.5 km past 4 trucks on way out haha the road is only 8 km long. decided on another road, 2 km up guys headed down stops me and chat he says there's 10 trucks and 6 quads running around and he's outta here. i drive 10 seconds pull over and glass a bit and spot a deer, drive up around corner and go for a walk, end up seeing 4 does and 2 point. While 4 more trucks go by on the road, and this is all in about 1 hr. Hunting round salmon arms getting crazy. I need to find some new areas.

emerson
11-11-2013, 06:30 PM
I have put a total on one bear on the ground this year, though not through lack of trying. Trying predators this winter.

Redneck Rocket
11-11-2013, 06:57 PM
I felt the same way until recently, bit of luck came my way! Dedication always pays off in the long term.

Quince
11-11-2013, 07:26 PM
I hope my persistance pays off. After 4 days FINALLY found some fresh deer sign(although seeing moose every morning so far isnt bad)also the most wolf tracks ive ever seen. Hope i dont wear my boots out.

jetboat jim
11-11-2013, 07:46 PM
i thought i had it bad , hunted reg 3 with a cow /calf LEH for 7 days (nov 1-nov7) and seen 11 moose , 2 single cows 1cow calf , and had 4 bulls under 40 yards........had a big bull @ 3 yards for 15 seconds
i guess getting one would have been great but , i at least seen some .

Wade
11-11-2013, 08:07 PM
I understand your frustrations, some years I don't even fire off a round. This year we got extremely lucky, moose hunting in 7-16 with no LEH and a 2x3 bull walks out on the road a 100yrds away. Just a gift.

biggyun68
11-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Went with the boys on our annual anterless hunt: Party only got two young deer and we hunted hard- got of the roads, still hunted, stalked, callled - tryed every trick we knew -From first to last light:
Most of the activity I saw started as light fell at night.
Going to help a freind with an antlerless hunt in Pmeberton hoping to have some luck there...
My 2 cents: Good weather is nice to hunt in - but not as productive as rainy windy weather...

hickman
11-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Same here... you can't take anything for granted that's for sure. I put my time in and have seen a couple of does. I talked to a couple of experienced hunters who confirmed that it has been slow and difficult this season so far. Everyone keeps telling me that the coming weekend things will turn. More snow, rut is starting, bucks get crazy and careless... let's hope. I am happy to hike and bushwack with a chunk of metal on my back ;-)

hare_assassin
11-12-2013, 09:44 AM
I saw the biggest 2 pt ever that evening. Thought for sure it was a 4 pt, but no split. Looonng, tyned 2 pt. Was cool though.

Looked this buck I just found on the net:

One of those guys lives near my neighbourhood. I almost hit him one morning when leaving to go out hunting. He was with a 3x3 that was a good 30% smaller than him.

davet
11-12-2013, 09:50 AM
still lots of time guys, just depends on what and where you go. im not giving up yet. This is my first year and i have been out hunting about 10 times this year for a total of about 5 weeks. and not even a shot off, not even a grouse. Im frustrated as hell but im not giving up. Ill probably do a couple more weekends before the deer season is done. Then look out birds

sawmill
11-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Well I missed the first 8 weeks of the season but got a big doe on the 29`th.Passing a lot of small bucks except when I`m with the wife for hers,then we don`t see them.She is a jinx.I`m holding out for the big guy,the rut seems late this year but it will fire up soon.

Hunt-4-Life
11-12-2013, 01:34 PM
4 day alpine deer hunt in Sept, bust. Saw a ewe bighorn and a grizz, no deer. 5 day immy moose trip, bust. Saw no moose, just killed chickens. Couple weeks left, gonna try for a day trip to the river (Fraser, reg 3) for a full day trip near the end of the month. Maybe the river breaks will turn up something otherwise I'm skunked. Pregnant wife with two little ones is a little hard to escape too often :)

GotaGun
11-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Ya can sure feel that way. When u hear everyone else getting one but you.
i sure felt it this year . Spent lots of hours of boot time, driving time , and couple over nighters. Saw lots of does a few cow moose etc.
Then went for a quick road hunt alone to clear my head , and a Buck crossed the road in front of me, I was Happy again because I wasn't alone in the truck on way home..

Rich_D
11-12-2013, 08:06 PM
ISO a WT Buck and/or 4pt Mule this weekend netted zilch for me. Saw only 6 does all weekend, 4 in one cut block on Saturday and 2 on the quad trail while I was heading back to my truck yesterday.
I walked, sat, called, rattled, drove and rode. (ADHD doesn't allow me to do one particular thing for too....hey look....something shiny)

Pointdexter
11-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Yep. I started to hunt three years ago and haven't filled any tags yet.

I've shot lots of pop cans though.

bigj
11-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Hunted quite hard, Fiance got a bear and a whitey doe, but I have yet to pull the trigger or even see a shooter. Hiked the mountains on Sunday in a foot of snow. Saw a nice wide heavy buck... fog was too thick to count tines... Couldn't rattle him any closer. Got a snort and another unseen deer close, but never got to see it.

hickman
11-13-2013, 04:02 PM
As long as you are out there you are ahead of the game. It takes patience and nothing can be taken for granted. Every outing adds to the experience basket. Sooner or later a buck will be coming my way. I will be hiking, sitting, watching and listening again somewhere in the bush this weekend. I found a nice spot that is covered in tracks, just haven`t been able to connect earlier in the season because of the warm weather. The snow would have made the deer come down... hopefully...

BigfishCanada
11-13-2013, 04:03 PM
I finally saw a buck local (fraser valley) and missed it!! That was last weekend, and each night when I went to bed this week I re lived it all over LOL. Im hunting Kelowna Friday then Kamloops end of month so I hope to tag something. My neighbor said he saw a giant wolf walking at the end my my cabin driveway with a muskrat in his mouth, so if I see that , he wont walk any further.

Its more time for me, just haven't had much this year

HIGHRPM
11-13-2013, 04:25 PM
At least you got out ! Every time I plan to go, DAM LIFE gets in the way ! I can't win. So to all that got out, congrats !!