PDA

View Full Version : 2-2 - Stalked by cougar?

caddisguy
11-10-2013, 04:38 PM
I was out looking around and scouting in 2-2 from yesterday first light until around noon today. Only saw one doe (pretty sure it was a doe) just before sunrise yesterday, as well as a monster grouse later on... oh and about 200 other hunters. Also found some predator turds while hiking in an area known for cougar sightings. Figured I'd check it out because if they hunt there, so should I. Droppings all contained hair and bones... guessing snowshoe hare, as there are quite a few in that area... maybe from cougar or coyote... I don't know how to tell and it isn't the kind of terrain where you would see obvious tracks. Anyway that was all yesterdays news.

This morning, I was hiking the Eaton lake trail--never heard of cats in this old growth though--with my girlfriend, looking for deer sign and letting out the out rattle and tilt of the esterdoe can. We were crouched down a couple switch backs before the old bridge--now a only a fallen tree--looking and listening carefully--slightly impaired by the sound of the creek--for any incoming bucks.

About 60m away on the hill across from us, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. It was like a flash and then stopped behind a large tree. I pointed it out to my girlfriend and we watched for a moment. Maybe I was seeing things? Just as I was turning my head to whisper, flash! We both saw it this time and it took off further up. After we lost track of it, we stopped acting like prey... at least for 20 minutes or so anyway. Though neither of us saw the entire body at any given time. I can't say for certain it was a cougar, but I can't figure out what else it would be. Estimating it was 5-6 feet long, low to the ground. It was able to cover 30-40m of steep, slippery moss covered boulders/logs in old growth terrain in two quick 1.5 second dashes. Even for a cat, I did not think the laws of physics would let anything travel like that. It was animated, like a movie with unrealistic computer enhancement... something out of this world. We did not hear a thing and it seemed to know exactly when to dart between cover, the second we were not focused.

Glad that though curious from the rattle, it was not interested in us. A couple more dashes, it would have been on us and the 30-06 would have been a reactionary after thought at best. However, I wanted to see it again. Tried some more rattles, even a couple predator calls. Nothing.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has seen a cougar while hiking in thick old growth--as opposed to seeing one crossing the road or treed from dogs--to know if this is what it's like to be checked out by a curious cat. I'm always aways watching my surroundings and check behind me when I'm hiking, but I never would have seen this if not stationary and scanning.

natebavis
11-10-2013, 04:55 PM
ther are cats in the skagit for sure, seen quite a few bobcats and larger sign.

Big Lew
11-10-2013, 05:37 PM
I've seen cats in old growth (virgin timber), and have stumbled upon a cougar den in the same old growth terrain high up the side of Winslow Creek Canyon running into the Upper Stave River.

Dannybuoy
11-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Yes , a few times ! I think they just like to investigate what it is in their territory , when they see you aren't food they vamoose !

keoke
11-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Sounds like it was a good thing I stayed in bed with how busy it sounds out there.

houndogger
11-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Where's there's deer there are cats. Old growth is primo.

303Fan
11-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Skagit was a gong show there were more people and hunters there than iv,e seen in the bloody summer and the main road just sucks.

caddisguy
11-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Skagit was a gong show there were more people and hunters there than iv,e seen in the bloody summer and the main road just sucks.

September usually sees the least hunting pressure. It gets more busy in October, but in November once any buck is done and there's snow in other regions, there are more guys running around the Skagit in camo than in the mid east. It's kind of like Harrison, just with less cut blocks and spurs. Road definitely has quite a few lengthy sections that can be described as craterville now.

I spent most of Saturday on hiking trails or bush whacking, but I saw how busy it was while going from point A to point B on the main road. Being on foot, I managed to avoid the crowd. I talked to a few people on Sunday, all super friendly. One was camped at the bottom of Eaton trail, so I checked with him to see if he wanted to hunt it, but he had other plans, so I went in, only to find a creepy cat.

Also talked to a couple guys on ATV's coming down Sowerby. I wanted to check out that trail in the Jeep before I headed home. Heard from them that apparently someone camped along Silver Creek popped a spike around the 17km mark, which would have been right around where camped and saw the doe. Lucky guy!

Definitely hard terrain to hunt there and competition along the roads seems pretty crazy. Guessing around 6000L of gas burned and one or two deer taken. I haven't given up on the valley yet. I'll keep doing my research and looking around, hiking into the timber more and maybe investing in a couple trail cams. I've been hiking and flyfishing that valley since my early teens and this is my first season hunting it. I might try some longer hikes of the multi-night, boneless-packout variety. I'll probably scout the ridges around the the Klesilkwa valley in the late spring or early summer.

Still amazed when I think about the cat from yesterday morning. Never thought anything could move like that. It would have taken me 5-10 minutes to cover the same route that it went through in a couple seconds. I knew they're quick and sneaky, but that just seemed supernatural. Watched lots cougar footage and never saw any move like that. I wish I could find a video of a cougar acting similar. I bet these things are darting around checking us out more than we would have thought. I would guess at least a few hundred people hike Eaton each year. Never heard of anyone seeing a cat there (most sightings are around Maselpanik and Ross) ... but I bet this thing is darting around checking out a good portion of the visitors. Definitely a cool critter, but a little spooky knowing that you could do a 360 visual check every couple seconds and still not see it coming. And even one you do see it, can be coming from a completely different direction a couple seconds later. Glad these things pass on people 99.995% of the time

heatherdaddy
11-11-2013, 06:29 PM
I saw one cougar in the Skagit last year in the Chittenden Meadow, it crossed the trail behind me and left in a hurry after I turned and saw it.