PDA

View Full Version : Tips and Suggestions for Week Long Hunt

PointMan
11-10-2013, 02:34 PM
A friend of mine approached me today and expressed interest in doing a week long hunt next season with our sons. He hasn't done any hunting before, hasn't got his Core yet, but has quite a bit of outdoor experience like myself. This will be a first for both of us, in the sense of, we have both done quite a bit of camping, etc, but not a long term hunting excursion. We are thinking of going in on horse and camping somewhere reasonably inaccessible by vehicle, fairly remote.

I was looking for suggestions on where might be a decent place for this kind of hunt, somewhere that has a good selection of animals in season, and not too barren, I like a bit of forest around me. We were thinking elk, moose, sheep or goat and deer. Also, tips on gear, never having done a hunt like this before we're expecting to have to invest in gear, but hopefully not thousands of dollars each. We have the basic gear needed, but mostly stuff for day or two day hunts max.

Any tips or suggestions welcome, thanks.

BiG Boar
11-10-2013, 02:53 PM
I take it you have horses? Have you ever packed a horse? You've got an exciting long adventure of learning ahead it sounds like. Basically with horses you want to hunt where there is no vehicle access. I would pick your main animal you want to target and go from there. Mixed bags are in a lot of different zones, but in each zone they like different areas. If you're serious about doing it, 1 week isn't nearly enough time. Got to think of 2 days traveling in and out, plus packing out extra meat days.

The best thing you could do is take Blue creek packing course up in mcbride. You've got a heck of a road ahead. But one of the best adventures you'll ever do.

BearSupreme
11-10-2013, 03:11 PM
For only a week, I would exclude the sheep and goats. Thats a lot of work and a lot of travel to get to those buggers. Id say each a get a deer tag, one get a moose, one get an elk and hope for the best. I would say if you are packing in on horses try to make it at least 10 days.

BiG Boar
11-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Also, there is likely going to be several thousand dollars in gear. Maybe you have a lot of it already though. What I would recommend is to book a fly in hunt for moose up in region 6. Caribou, moose, goats and sheep. Bring a boat. Fish as much as you want and hunt as hard as you want to away from the lake and calling moose during the rut. 1 week plus weekends should be enough. And you don't have to deal with horses.