PDA

View Full Version : My Mountain Mulie

Karl
11-09-2013, 11:51 AM
So took awhile to post it up but here it goes........

First weekend in October I set out on my journey for a "quick" day trip. Got out on the roads to my spot late Friday night, being new to this area and not knowing exactly how to get to where I need to go was interesting in the dark.I was heading down a road that was getting me closer to my destination on my gps but I was forced to go through some deactivation ditches (that should have been the give away it was the wrong road) but I was determined to get as close to the trail head and spend the night and hike in in the morning...... As I headed through the last ditch I thought this will be the last one and then I'll park and get some sleep. Next thing I know my truck is stuck and I'm thinking..... didn't pack a shovel... don't have tow straps.... so I decided to just go to bed and see what things look like in the morning. Waking up early next morning to the sinking feeling that I'm stuck in a ditch 3kms or so from a main road wasn't the greatest so I got out and grabbed my gun and started hiking to where I thought I had cell service the night before. That or I figured someone would be driving the logging roads!! 7Kms into my rescue mission I come across a couple driving around hunting, I explain my predicament and the guy tells me he has everything we need to pull my truck out! BONUS!!! Hopping in their truck we go back to where my pickup is buried in a deactivation ditch and pull me out. WOW that was a good feeling! Explaining to them where I was trying to go they chuckle and tell me I was really close just on the wrong side of the creek! After thanking them a lot!!! I headed over to the road that would take me to the trail head! (Thanks again to Kelly and his wife from Princeton!!! If anyone on here knows them give them a big thanks again from me!!!!) Anyways finally out of the truck and on the trail head ( a little later than I wanted to be!! ) I was heading up the mountain and felt much better. Getting up to the top around 1:30 I decided to head up to a little ridge that would get me a great vantage point of the area and sit for awhile and have some lunch. Finding cell reception at the top I decided to call home and let everyone know I was alright and what had happened! Now around 3 or so I was tired of sitting around and wanted to go out and explore, putting on my pack and grabbing my gear I started to head over the ridge and head down back to my trail. Just as I got to the edge I see antlers!!! I was blown away! This guy was heading up the hill right at me!! He noticed me right away and bolted around the hill to my right. Jumping into action I hurried over to where I thought he was headed I couldn't believe it. He did the classic mule deer move and decided to stop in his tracks and look over his shoulder... Big mistake! I had him in my scope and BANG! He dropped right away and disappeared down the mountain side. I headed down the hill to where he had fallen and found really good blood sign and a clear path where he had slid down. The steep snowy hillside allowed him to ski down the hill a ways and I found him a few hundred yards from where he had dropped! What a great site!! Crazy turn of events and I still couldn't believe how fast things happen sometimes! I decided to gut him on the steep hill and let gravity help me out and I dragged him down to where there was a flat spot. After trying to get some good pictures the work began and I had him skinned out and quartered up in my pack right around 6. I figured I could pack everything out in one shot. After struggling down the hill for 500 yards or so I realized this was not going to happen. It was getting dark and I decided to stash the meat and get me and my gear back to the truck. I grabbed the cape and the antlers and headed back to the truck. The next morning I got up, headed up the mountain to where my meat was, packed it all back up and hiked back to the truck! My "quick" day trip was over and had turned into a crazy high mountain adventure!!!
http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p777/karl264/DSCN1476_zps0b2a1d1b.jpg (http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/karl264/media/DSCN1476_zps0b2a1d1b.jpg.html)
http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p777/karl264/DSCN1480_zpsb3a74677.jpg (http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/karl264/media/DSCN1480_zpsb3a74677.jpg.html)
http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p777/karl264/DSCN1493_zps75c37848.jpg (http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/karl264/media/DSCN1493_zps75c37848.jpg.html)

Blainer
11-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Good Buck
Good Pictures
Good Share

BearSupreme
11-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Sounds like a exciting hunt to say the least! Nice muley, congrats!

RayHill
11-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Nice one, thumbs up!

Big Lew
11-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Very nice! Great story and pictures. On every adventure there's lessons to be learned. I guess next time you'll carry at least some basic gear to assist getting unstuck should you be unlucky and not find someone else to help...or need to help someone else. Glad everything turned out so well for you.

11-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Those are great field pictures!

Karl
11-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Very nice! Great story and pictures. On every adventure there's lessons to be learned. I guess next time you'll carry at least some basic gear to assist getting unstuck should you be unlucky and not find someone else to help...or need to help someone else. Glad everything turned out so well for you.
Got that right!!! No matter what or where you are going... you never know where your going to end up!! Always remember that stuff!!

frenchbar
11-09-2013, 01:50 PM
congrats on a nice looking buck! love the nice grey color on him ..nice pics 2 by the way .

Rackem
11-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Beautiful buck --congratulations!

rifleman
11-09-2013, 02:51 PM
every thing on the post is great.... deer, pics & story... way to go!!!!

Krico
11-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Good write up, not overdone, but all the important details. Congrats on a great buck.

Wade
11-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Nice buck. Good going

kennyj
11-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Awesome heavy rack on that guy. Lots of good eats too!
Great story.
It is amazing how things can turn around.
kenny

RoscoeP
11-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Congratulations on a beautiful deer and quite an exciting hunt, love that dark colour on the antlers, what rifle and caliber were you using? Cheers Roscoe

matt420
11-09-2013, 04:18 PM
that's a beauty man ,, congrats !!!

spear
11-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Awesome old looking buck, thanks for posting

Karl
11-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Congratulations on a beautiful deer and quite an exciting hunt, love that dark colour on the antlers, what rifle and caliber were you using? Cheers Roscoe
My trusty 270. With 130 grain fusion

buckguy
11-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Great story. Thanks for sharing

Pioneerman
11-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Very nice , well done!!

quadrakid
11-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Congrats on a beautiful buck,nice to see the HBC headgear on you!

Hank Hunter
11-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Congrats on a great buck, story and pics

bruin
11-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Nice buck!

Sofa King
11-09-2013, 08:49 PM
great deer.
you worked hard for him.
that's gotta suck having to leave the meat overnight.

R Brooks
11-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Nice buck for sure
Your trip started similar to mine, except I had my shovel. Like every trip we all take, we all learn something new.

Karl
11-09-2013, 09:16 PM
great deer.
you worked hard for him.
that's gotta suck having to leave the meat overnight.
Yah it wasn't what I wanted to do. Kind of got my mind set that day I wanted to get out and back to the truck. But when your weighted down too much and it's getting dark leaving the meat and getting back was a good option.

coach
11-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Great buck! Excellent pictures! Exceptional story! Awesome - thanks for sharing.

BTW - leaving the meat on the mountain overnight is absolutely the best thing to do. Never attempt to to hike out solo in the dark with a loaded pack.

358mag
11-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Great buck! Excellent pictures! Exceptional story! Awesome - thanks for sharing.

BTW - leaving the meat on the mountain overnight is absolutely the best thing to do. Never attempt to to hike out solo in the dark with a loaded pack.

Or Hike out in the dark with a loaded pack with someone that knows a short cut ...... Just saying .....:wink::wink:

warnniklz
11-09-2013, 10:34 PM
... Never attempt to to hike out solo in the dark with a loaded pack.
I second this statement---^

Nice deer none the less. Clean, heavy and character! I like it!

sobirch
11-09-2013, 11:02 PM
great story, great buck, I'm sure that's a hunt you won't forget
Congratulations.

Rattler
11-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Nice work on what sounds like a well deserved trophy. Great pictures as well.