PDA

View Full Version : Least Favorite Wild Game

Orangethunder
02-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Just wondering what you fellas thought was the worst tasting game? Not a one time thing but overall what tastes the worst. In my opinion I would have to give California Bighorn from the Fraser area the vote and maybe an old Mtn Goat the runner up.

30-06
02-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Pack Rat Is Gross.haha jk imm grizzly bear

Marc
02-01-2007, 01:04 PM
I've tried squirrel and found they tasted like pine cones. Yah I've tasted pine cones as well. :lol:

bigwhiteys
02-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Big old black bears :)

Carl

Rainwater
02-01-2007, 01:07 PM
I took a mountain goat backstrap to a late season bow camp and cooked em up. We all stood around the fire (7 of us) and chewed, and chewed, then we chewed some more. Won't shoot another goat.

270WIN
02-01-2007, 01:16 PM
I took a mountain goat backstrap to a late season bow camp and cooked em up. We all stood around the fire (7 of us) and chewed, and chewed, then we chewed some more. Won't shoot another goat.

I second mountain goat tried it once was not to keen on it hell my dog would not eat it. but i will give it one more try as it may have been the way it was butchered or treated in the field

boatdoc
02-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Beaver is the worst,get your mind out of the gutter,friend was a trapper. We made stew and it tasted like the tree the beaver had been eating.ps i like mnt goat hamburgers.

Gateholio
02-01-2007, 01:30 PM
I find goat to be best turned into ground or cut up into small pieces and braised in lots of flavourful stuff.:lol:

Worst is big ol fish eating bear.:twisted:

Mattimoose
02-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Yes, beaver is an acquired taste, if you made stew, even worse.The back legs are the only real good parts, and only if you keep them outta their own drippings. big hooded mergansers shot by accident when I was a teenager have to rate as the worst. My dad made me eat-it, and that's why you must be able to fully identify any duck coming into decoys before you shoot. Fishduck is terrible, even when parboiled in salted water.

It's like marinating liver in fishslime.

rbduck
02-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Don`t know if you want to count porqupine as a game animal but I did try it once(and only once). Was like eating electrical wire, so was the taste and smell too.

Ron:smile:

Orangethunder
02-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Yes, beaver is an acquired taste, if you made stew, even worse.The back legs are the only real good parts, and only if you keep them outta their own drippings. big hooded mergansers shot by accident when I was a teenager have to rate as the worst. My dad made me eat-it, and that's why you must be able to fully identify any duck coming into decoys before you shoot. Fishduck is terrible, even when parboiled in salted water.

It's like marinating liver in fishslime.

I know a guy who loves fishduck and other fishy critters. He is on here once in a while, might be a good guy to pawn off the oops ducks. :smile:

Fisher-Dude
02-01-2007, 02:19 PM
I shot a drake mallard years ago that was feasting on dead kokanee in Mission Creek (imagine if I walked down the Greenway now with my shotgun!:lol: ). It stunk the house out and tasted like a dead kokanee smells.

A close second would be the liver from my '05 rutted up whitey. The dog liked it though.

rocksteady
02-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Sober or under the influence ????

I tried wolf at a game banquet years ago, but I think the Wiser's made it palatable....

Sober - I would have to say really late seaon OLD goat or Muley.....

Stone Sheep Steve
02-01-2007, 02:47 PM
I've heard the opposite about beaver. My Uncle was a heli pilot out of Rupert for many years so he used to do a lot of seafood trades for their Game Banquet. He said the best meat that they ever ate was a beaver that was shot(not trapped) by a native fella.

Personally, the worst meat I've ever ate was from a black bear taken in on a hot June day and toured around in the back of a convertable Jimmy in the hot sun while I was looking for a meat locker that was open.

I've heard a Nov Billy is right at the bottom of the list but I've never actually tried one that late.

SSS

hunter1947
02-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Bear meat ,poo ,poo .poo ,http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif hunter47.

rugeer
02-01-2007, 04:58 PM
I have to agree with the bear, my wife would say island blacktail she just can't stand it and I don't mind as we live on the Island and she likes whitetail guess what I love whitetail hunting works for me

Nooker77
02-01-2007, 05:24 PM
I'd have to say a rutting bull caribou is my least fav. They spend half there time drinkin ruttin cow pee.....so that cant be good....ate lots of beavers...oh..sorry this is a family site....sheep isnt al that great either..with the 2 goats we've shot they've been OK...its important to not let meat touch the wool...and keep it as clean as you can when de boneing on slippery slope!!:lol: If I ever shoot anothe stinkabou I think I would de bone as well...I didnt like the saw cuts at all!! My 2cents worth!! oh ya Save a tree..eat a...oh you know the rest!!:twisted:

Chuck
02-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Beaver is the worst,get your mind out of the gutter,friend was a trapper. We made stew and it tasted like the tree the beaver had been eating.ps i like mnt goat hamburgers.

I second the motion!

NEEHAMA
02-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Have to say duck sucks.

MRP
02-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Have to say duck sucks.
You got it nothing as bad as good old mud duck

Mr. Dean
02-01-2007, 06:28 PM
3rd on the quackers!
Hate em..

ianwuzhere
02-01-2007, 06:37 PM
large buck in middle of rut...blahhhh

livingston
02-01-2007, 06:44 PM
I have to say black bear has been my least favorite game animal to eat.

browningboy
02-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Deer by far, always seem too gamey!
As for the previous, who in the hell would eat beaver, porcupine etc????
Try a skunks ass, it may be more for you!:lol:

Krico
02-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Rutted up bou was my least fav to date. The grizz who claimed most of the meat I'm sure enjoyed himself though...

mark
02-01-2007, 07:01 PM
large buck in middle of rut...blahhhh

Mmmm.. rut buck, love it myself! Im sure theres lots of yucky tasting stuff. But of the game i have hunted, In order, id say duck, goose, then bear although it makes great sausage!

~T-BONE~
02-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Rutted up bou was my least fav to date. The grizz who claimed most of the meat I'm sure enjoyed himself though...

I would have too agree! Even though I never tried it,,,, cutting them up was bad enough!! Reeked like an Angora Goat...

.308win
02-01-2007, 07:09 PM
hmmm....worst tasting game, on land have to say rut buck, in the air black duck, in the water lake trout.

elkguide
02-01-2007, 08:21 PM
I'd have to say a rutting bull caribou is my least fav. They spend half there time drinkin ruttin cow pee.....so that cant be good....ate lots of beavers...oh..sorry this is a family site....sheep isnt al that great either..with the 2 goats we've shot they've been OK...its important to not let meat touch the wool...and keep it as clean as you can when de boneing on slippery slope!!:lol: If I ever shoot anothe stinkabou I think I would de bone as well...I didnt like the saw cuts at all!! My 2cents worth!! oh ya Save a tree..eat a...oh you know the rest!!:twisted: 100% on the bull bou.....after the middle of september you'll have meat that even your dog won't eat ( and that is a fact). after that I'd have to say Spring black bear ( same bear in the same area would taste much beter in the fall ). But sheep meat not tasting good??? Booo, Sheep is the best wild meat goin.

BCbillies
02-01-2007, 08:41 PM
An old goat in the November rutt is pretty hard to swallow. Mind you I've had other November goats and they taste great. Get em done up in sausage (dry salami) and can't keep the wife and kids (not to mention my friends) away from it!

Had a fall grizz done up in smokies and could only eat one and I was pretty hungry!

Also had some pretty crappy goose and rabbit in my part of the world.

Phil
02-01-2007, 08:51 PM
One more vote for rutting buck.

For those of you who have eaten wild sheep is it anything like farmed lamb? Lamb has my vote for my favorite meat next to deer.

grizz
02-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Ate grizzly once and only once - tasted like sawdust
Ate some beaver and muskrat back in the early forties,anything tasted good then.
grizz

dana
02-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Rattlesnake tops the list for me. As a kid I can vividly remember my mom cooking them for some local wild game banquets. The smell was disgusting and the taste was even worse.

houndogger
02-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Deer ain't for me.

eagleye
02-01-2007, 11:44 PM
I have to agree with those who chose Caribou Bull in the rut. How an animal that tastes so good early in the year can get so rank a few weeks later is beyond my comprehension!! Impossible to eat....YUKK!!!! AS someone commented, even a self-respecting dog will turn up his nose at it. Sheep is great fare, as is porcupine. Not fond of fish ducks or muskrat though. Absolutely love Elk, Moose and any of the deer species, but no bucks at the end of the rut, please. Regards, Eagleye.

The Hermit
02-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Walrus stomach! Makes Cariboo, which is the second worst, taste like chicken! nasty stuff. Seal blubber is even better. BTW - Porcupine is one of the few animals that eats its own dung!! I've never tried porky cause of that... ugh!

Statler
02-02-2007, 12:42 AM
Was another vote for caribou in the rut and merganser as a close second until I read Hermits, walrus stomach! Guts did a little flip just reading it! I'm sure that would make hagis look good.

MRP
02-02-2007, 09:51 AM
And track soup! The tast of defeat!!!

johnes50
02-02-2007, 10:12 AM
I helped a friend put on a wild game outdoor cookout once. I tried some beaver tail and didn't like it too much. The squirrel was good, tasted nutty. I enjoyed the porcupine. It was cooked in a roasting pan with carrots, taters, and tomatoes and I thought it was tasty, except it was a bit stringy.

I think pheasant has to be one of my least favorite, it's tough and full of ligaments and tendons. John

CHilko21
02-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Worse game meat I had was some nasty old rutting mule deer buck at the game banquet a few years ago...that sucker should have been left hanging a lot longer than he was I think. They made kind of hambuger steaks, mixed it up with elk and moose...the elk and moose was great, and then you'd tie into a little piece of the mulie, and the steak was done, right there. Other than that, I've tried cougar, bear, beaver (shuddup), and lynx, and they were all pretty good. I'm another one who doesn't like duck.

steel_ram
02-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Late season Mule Deer. Yuck!

Elk are generally excellent eating, but an old rutted out bull I once took, which was covered in it's own various body fluids was several hundred pounds of sausage game banquet fodder.

Flipper pie : not only non-palatable, makes everything else within a meter unedible. Seal meat must be better raw?

sawmill
02-02-2007, 01:18 PM
A friend of mine cooked up a beaver for a family dinner once and we all thought it was wild goose,he trimmed all the fat he could then boiled it for an hour with ginger and the roasted it like a turkey and it was very nice.Somethings you just can`t fry right up and eat.Somethings you should Never eat;Boar grizz,skunk,crows and wolverines.I`d eat a dog if it wasn`t too old and I got to cook it and Horse is quite good.I want to try a Llamma next.There was a guy last fall here giving his away,no money in them after all.I wouldn`t eat a human though,unless it was a vegitarian/non smoker/non drinker.And not too old.

Browningmirage
02-02-2007, 02:47 PM
I wouldn`t eat a human though,unless it was a vegitarian/non smoker/non drinker.And not too old.

And it cant have any adrenaline in it, so you have to sneak up on it, dont let it run far. :lol:

eastkoot
02-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Rutted cariboo, yuck, won't even make good sausage. It's like rutted deer x 2...

30-06
02-02-2007, 04:36 PM
rabie infested cat sounds yummy lol..haha jk

Soup
02-02-2007, 09:59 PM
I have to say that some of the best deer I have had, have been just beginning to rut. I've only had one deer that was very gamey and it was harvested in early October...I have had Mallards that were good and bad, but I have to say that I really enjoyed my California Bighorn that I harvested this year...along the Fraser, it was excellent. Perhaps my favorite was V.I. LEH Elk.
This thread was about worst though...hmm, I'd have to say that October buck...don't know why, but it stunk up the house when you cooked him.
My dad got a Caribou many years ago and he said that it wasn't very enjoyable...I was too young to remember.

browningboy
02-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Pole cats ass, worst thing ever smelt!

sawmill
02-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Deer by far, always seem too gamey!
As for the previous, who in the hell would eat beaver, porcupine etc????
Try a skunks ass, it may be more for you!:lol:

Since I love deer and we have lots of skunks here maybe I could trade you a big bagfull of skunks asses for deer meat?And a tip for you........if you have trouble eating beaver,try getting drunk first:lol:

mntman
02-03-2007, 03:10 PM
rutted out old mule deer by far.

browningboy
02-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Since I love deer and we have lots of skunks here maybe I could trade you a big bagfull of skunks asses for deer meat?And a tip for you........if you have trouble eating beaver,try getting drunk first:lol:

Deal, when can I expect the skunks asses, we're having the hunting bc get together, so I thought of making a special treat!!:lol:

huntwriter
02-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Old wild hog it tasted like it’s been marinated in urine.

BiG Boar
05-15-2008, 07:29 AM
I have only tried a few wild game cuts. However the worst would have to be a small bird that my gf made me eat. Should never have killed that thing. It didnt taste like chicken.

BIGHUNTERFISH
05-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Take it from a guy who has eaten a lot of beaver there is very good and very bad tasting beaver,you have to have patience and not eat the first beaver you see.:|

Fisher-Dude
05-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Take it from a guy who has eaten a lot of beaver there is very good and very bad tasting beaver,you have to have patience and not eat the first beaver you see.:|

Everyone please listen to BHF. I saw him leaving the OK Corral one night with this woman during his research days. He MUST know what he's talking about by now!

http://images1.fotki.com/v8/photos/3/36284/148296/ugly-vi.jpg

MOWITCH SLAYER
05-15-2008, 03:37 PM
cougar hands down ! and the more you chew it the more it tastes like a old shoe .

oddsix
05-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Ground: like many of you said, those old big ******* deer in the rut.
Air: grouse, i find it to dry
Water: any fish with that muddy taste

MidnightRun
05-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Ground: like many of you said, those old big ******* deer in the rut.
Air: grouse, i find it to dry
Water: any fish with that muddy taste

If you dont like the taste of Grouse because its too dry, stop cooking the sh*t out of it.

EvanG
05-15-2008, 05:35 PM
I would say say sea ducks, what is it about the goat the taste or just generally tough, I ve heard both.

oddsix
05-15-2008, 06:03 PM
If you dont like the taste of Grouse because its too dry, stop cooking the sh*t out of it.

We have always bbqed it, im guessing there is a better way to do it? i heard some people make soup?

Bow Walker
05-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Skanky, stinky ruttin' bucks/bulls/boars/what-have-you.

Frango
05-15-2008, 06:11 PM
I have had both moose and elk that where shot as they had their nose up a female's ass.They both where god awfull tasting.The moose was a 57 inch 11x13 with a spare third horn for good measure.My dog only ate it when he was really hungry..Second the beaver vote

betteroffishing
05-15-2008, 06:12 PM
for grouse, bbq to medium then slice it into a creamy mushroom pasta, mmmm . as for other unpalatable game meats, in order to rescue some a trick the south east asians use is to stew it into a spicy curry, i'd add a european twist and make little curried cornish pasties, again mmm

betteroffishing
05-15-2008, 06:14 PM
muddy fish is the worst. have yet to try a truly discusting game meat, but i look forward to having that to call my biggest problem.

shoot to kill
05-15-2008, 07:03 PM
old rutted out muleys n moose... havent tried bear or sheep... had a half goat given to our family... was delicous! also tried cougar and it was good.

daycort
05-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Old cougars and beavers.

Calamity Jane
05-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Caribou, beer and goat are the absolute worst.

I love beer! :)

Archer
05-15-2008, 08:29 PM
I had some cougar steaks given to me and the meat was OK but the fatty stuff around the bone was very fishy tasting. I would have boned the meat myself. I would like to give it another try though.
By far the nastiest meat I've tried was a band-tailed pigeon that I bagged while hunting grouse a few years ago. It was beyond disgusting. Last time I shoot one of them....
Second would be a Canada goose my uncle gave me. It was pretty bad, even though it was supposedly a "fat sassy grain-fed prairie goose". Dry meat slathered in grease. Pretty appetizing:roll:

kishman
05-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Flipper pie : not only non-palatable, makes everything else within a meter unedible. Seal meat must be better raw?

I've had home-canned Seal flipper and it wasn't bad. It was prepared very much like liver and onions. Worst of all time has got to be the time I tried to cook and eat a shoveler, I was new to hunting and dam near gave it up after that!!:lol::lol:

jackpine
05-15-2008, 09:10 PM
anything from the last few kamloops fish and game shows.almost most enough to turn a man into a granola munchin' vegetarian.

steelheadSABO
06-06-2008, 09:20 PM
browningboy real men eat beaver and porcupine:)also squirrels,moths and sqwafish

06-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Hummm?
Ducks that have been on the salt chuck, might as well eat bullheads.
Bull caribou in the rut...dogs turn it down.
Fresh old billy goat, must be done into sausage.
Mountain Sheep I've had have been great!
Bucks, Bull moose and elk, all in the rut have been good, ya some unique flavor at times but that said it's not beef, don't expect it to taste like beef.

My favorite, hands down, I love eating BEAVER! Old Cougar...kind of tough, strong too!

bckev
06-07-2008, 09:35 AM
anything from m & m meats

sealevel
06-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Old billy goat the worst. and rainbow trout that have been eating salmon eggs all winter that have floated down the adams river.