PDA

View Full Version : moving to region 6

bigmuley
11-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Moving up to Houston (region 6) right away, Never hunted there. and don't know the area. I know theres more moose then deer there, only took one moose in my life. but tons of muleys. Just curious if any members could help me out on a vast area for muleys or general area where I can find them. Ive heard from my dad and my grandpa theres moose around every corner up there. Any help on area or a general direction would be appreciated.

cheers

bigmuley
11-08-2013, 05:58 PM
moose or deer

nerka992003
11-08-2013, 06:12 PM
I came around many corners in the last couple months and didn't see one.

Cordillera
11-09-2013, 08:32 AM
There are moose but definitely not around every corner. To hunt the rut you need an leh which is eight or nine to one odds for the prime season. If you get that draw, and hunt hard and smart, you have very good odds of connecting. If you don't get a draw you have to hunt the open season in October. There are years when it's productive, due to the right weather or other factors. Some years it is hard. Whatever you do, you need to work to find a good area preferably away from the disturbance of other hunters.

There are some deer around Houston but mostly centred on private land and farmers fields. There are more deer towards Vanderhoof or south of burns lake so you aren't too long of a drive to get to them. A nice general area would be to drive the morice Owen forest road and then hunt the northwest end of Francois lake.

Have fun.

.330 Dakota
11-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Lots of Griz around Houston,,

Caribou_lou
11-09-2013, 04:08 PM
You can go north, south, east or west out of Houston and find great hunting for Moose and Mulies. And that's no bull! Great hunting there.

Bobfl
11-09-2013, 09:31 PM
hunt the swiss fire burn area

warnniklz
11-09-2013, 09:35 PM
...take up goat hunting...

BCbillies
11-10-2013, 12:01 AM
and grizz hunting . . . and sheep hunting . . . I spent nearly half my life in Region 6 and loved it!