PDA

View Full Version : Grouse Hunting Region 2-3

khunter
11-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Hey I'm new to grouse hunting this year. Was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on areas of where to go in region 2 and up to boston bar? I don't want to go too far just for grouse. I've tried Harrison and didn't even see a single bird. I've heard squamish and other local places (Harrison, Chilliwack, etc) are not that great this year. Any help would be great! Thanks :cool:

BigfishCanada
11-08-2013, 01:05 PM
My son got one each of the last two outings we had, but honest, it was pure luck.. We were looking for deer and found a bird.

Sofa King
11-08-2013, 01:13 PM
I've seen multiple grouse every time I've been out this year, except for yesterday in the higher snow.
they are cyclical, does anyone know when the peak is?

Brayden
11-08-2013, 01:36 PM
I went to my usual spot last month, and saw 3-4 groups of them each time. Went back last week and didn't see one. Hope area - same time of day, etc. It was bizarre.

caddisguy
11-11-2013, 12:09 PM
The best place I have found in the LML, I know that I probably will see at least one on each trip if it is not raining. That I consider a "honey hole" for this region. I made it out there twice this year and saw one each time. Both huge, but did not have a chance at either.

Wet spring in a region equals bad year, so around here, grouse hunting ranges from horrible to poor. The little cheepers do not stand much of a chance surviving a wet spring, which is the reason you don't find many in the wet coast lower rainland. For most seasons, it's simply not the right habitat... dry spring, might see a few more in the fall, but still crappy habitat. From a probability standpoint, you likely to see 1 doe, 1 blackbear or a half dozen snowshoe hare for each grouse you see.

Closest place for poor-to-fair grouse hunting is Boston Bar, but seems like a bad year there too. However, if you continue driving for another 2.5 hours beyond Boston Bar to the South Cariboo, in 5-2 this year we were seeing close to 100 each day. We moderated ourselves in only taking a few of the bigger ones each, as we were mainly looking to--and oddly enough having trouble with--filling a doe draw.

I used to think along the same lines. I'd like to hunt grouse, but don't want to go far for them. I've concluded that one can drive for 1-3 hours and "maybe" see one, "perhaps" resulting in a "chance" at it. Squamish, Hope, Boston Bar... 50% chance seeing one on average, then 50/50 chance at getting it. 25% at best coming out with a grouse. Two unsuccessful trips to Boston Bar would equal one trip to the South Cariboo as far as time/gas spent. Early October In the South Cariboo, see dozens, select big ones, get your limit in a few hours... pretty much a gimmie.