PDA

View Full Version : 6 Hunters Shot in Ontario

rcar
11-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Yikes....and these guys wear orange.....Maybe Ontario should implement a 4 point rule to give hunters a fighting chance of survival while hunting!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/6-hunters-mistakenly-shot-deer-hunting-season-begins-103844734.html

PointMan
11-08-2013, 10:10 AM
An they'll keep happening until they start laying charges. Not one of those guys were charged with careless use of a firearm or anything else. No lesson learned.

Sofa King
11-08-2013, 10:13 AM
it's appalling that nobody was charged.
wtf?
that's just beyond ridiculous.

Moe.JKU
11-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Looks like they need to learn gun control. Guys shoots himself, other guy by someone in his party how does this happen.
Like you stated nothing will happen unless charges are laid or their licences revoke there has to be some responsibility and repercussion to your actions.

Gateholio
11-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Goes to show (once again) that wearing blaze orange isn't any safer.

bigslim
11-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Blaze orange way to visible of a target
Camo if they can't see me they can't shoot me!!

Salty
11-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Its gotta be to do with how they hunt out there. Lots of deer 'drives' where a half dozen guys work a small chunk of bush poking out of the farm lands, two or three crashing through guys on the flanks waiting to jump a deer. You hear lots of talk about pushing bush and bush guns, and dedicated guns to let a few fly in short order for this task out there. That style of hunting doesn't occur to me to be all that safe. I mean it could be, as long as everyone is ready to not shoot if back ground isn't safe. But all it would take is one or two trigger happy ya hoos and its a recipe for disaster.

rcar
11-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Its gotta be to do with how they hunt out there. Lots of deer 'drives' where a half dozen guys work a small chunk of bush poking out of the farm lands, two or three crashing through guys on the flanks waiting to jump a deer. You hear lots of talk about pushing bush and bush guns, and dedicated guns to let a few fly in short order for this task out there. That style of hunting doesn't occur to me to be all that safe. I mean it could be, as long as everyone is ready to not shoot if back ground isn't safe. But all it would take is one or two trigger happy ya hoos and its a recipe for disaster.

You totally right about "push the bush" style of hunting. Growing up there that is how a lot of people hunted. You get 20 acres of forest surrounded on all sides by crop land. It is an easy way to get the deer out of the bush for an eaqsy shot but on more that a few occasions I was pretty uncomfortable with the designated shooter firing back in our direction at the deer we pushed out.

redwards92
11-08-2013, 11:34 AM
are you ****ing kidding me

how does this happen so often I seriously can't comprehend how it would happen at all if they are wearing orange?

Humans look nothing like deer nor do they move around in the bush like a deer.

Glenny
11-08-2013, 11:40 AM
This is knuts,

hare_assassin
11-08-2013, 11:47 AM
are you ****ing kidding me

how does this happen so often I seriously can't comprehend how it would happen at all if they are wearing orange?

Humans look nothing like deer nor do they move around in the bush like a deer.

In the overwhelming majority of cases the hunter is shot by someone standing right next to him/her, or by him/herself.

In other words: choose your hunting partners wisely and unload your gun before crossing obstacles.

E.B.
11-08-2013, 11:49 AM
How many use there scopes instead of bino's ? Might be part of the problem.

Singleshotneeded
11-08-2013, 11:56 AM
These brilliant lads should be ordered to take the gun safety course again, a pass on the final exam is 100%, and after every class of the course, they should have to write "I will always keep my gun pointed in a safe direction until I have positively identified a legal game animal that I can shoot" on a chalk board 100 times before being allowed to go home. I'll bet there were a few drinks involved in some of these incidents...alcohol is for drinking after the guns are unloaded and put aside, gents.

Iron Glove
11-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Gotta agree with you Single, these guys need some educumatin' before they head out again.
Wonder how long I'd lose my driving "rights" and what my insurance would be if I "accidently" hit someone with my car, likely because I wasn't paying attention ?
Might not be charges laid on these guys but there might be some interesting civil actions.

BRvalley
11-08-2013, 01:14 PM
pushin bush is a very popular tactic....that's part of it

alcohol may likely be a factor, but I suspect charges would be pursued if that was proven

buck fever or itchy trigger finger, whatever you call it, that's the biggest factor here I think, season just opened last week

the 75 yr old man sounds like operator error to me....like my grandpa who insisted on driving until he was 94...accept your age, be safe

not a provincial problem, hunter orange doesn't solve all....If my memory serves correctly, there were 5 or 6 incidents in BC last year

confusing a man on a quad for game at pink mountain?

father shooting his son after mistaking him for a bear beside his canoe?

another one involving an island hunter too?

accident even without charges, I would hope they have their pal/hunting licence suspended for at least 1 year and required to re-do courses

let's hope there are no more stories this year, stay safe out here

wicket
11-08-2013, 02:07 PM
like others have said that's the way it is here. little bush lots, generations of guys who only know one way to hunt and that's drive. the season is 6 days here so its get em before the next guy and that means lots of stupidity and mistakes. guys who move once on a stand is why I quit many years ago. you plan a well thought out safe drive and guys move where they shouldn't be. human stupidity plus banging away at running deer with little regard for whats behind. ive seen it all here. last ten years I was able to find a little piece of un molested land that I could sit with my savage muzzleloader and shoot a deer actually acting like a deer. damnit I hate living here....................
first time I hunted BC I was surprised how few guys wore orange

adriaticum
11-08-2013, 02:31 PM
No details provided.

BearStump
11-08-2013, 03:10 PM
It did not say anywhere in that article that any of these hunters were mistaken for a game animal. It appears that all of these were caused by careless handling of firearms.

davet
11-08-2013, 03:35 PM
this gives hunters a bad name. and it happens way to much.

GoatGuy
11-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Now you know why they want gun control in Toronto. If only they realized the rest of Canada wasn't operating at such a low level of intelligence they wouldn't be trying to regulate everyone else.

BCBRAD
11-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Not enough information to hang any one on this one!

caddisguy
11-08-2013, 04:29 PM
like others have said that's the way it is here. little bush lots, generations of guys who only know one way to hunt and that's drive. the season is 6 days here so its get em before the next guy and that means lots of stupidity and mistakes. guys who move once on a stand is why I quit many years ago. you plan a well thought out safe drive and guys move where they shouldn't be. human stupidity plus banging away at running deer with little regard for whats behind. ive seen it all here. last ten years I was able to find a little piece of un molested land that I could sit with my savage muzzleloader and shoot a deer actually acting like a deer. damnit I hate living here....................
first time I hunted BC I was surprised how few guys wore orange

Wow! I just pulled up the Ontario 2013 Deer Seasons to see what you were referring to. I see a lot of areas with really short seasons. What is the reasoning for that? Low deer numbers?

lorneparker1
11-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Wow! I just pulled up the Ontario 2013 Deer Seasons to see what you were referring to. I see a lot of areas with really short seasons. What is the reasoning for that? Low deer numbers?

There is definitely not low deer numbers. You can buy as many doe tags as you want for that 1 week season. It mostly because guns are bad, and there is people everywhere. Bow season is a much longer season

BCBRAD
11-08-2013, 05:11 PM

The authorities figure its easier to police.

1/2 slam
11-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Goes to show (once again) that wearing blaze orange isn't any safer.

yep.............

TheProvider
11-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Check both bow and rifle season. Back home in northern ontario growing up therecwas a two day deer season. Just before I moved to BC it got lengthened to two weeks. But area I hunted by Ottawa therecwas a 4montg bow season plus 2 weeks of rifle.

Island Idiots
11-09-2013, 05:29 AM
Its Ontario they were just really drunk. Its not like they were smokin crack.

wicket
11-09-2013, 05:28 PM
There is definitely not low deer numbers. You can buy as many doe tags as you want for that 1 week season. It mostly because guns are bad, and there is people everywhere. Bow season is a much longer season

times have changed since you lived back here lorne. the mnr has done an outstanding job reducing numbers to an all time low. 6 or 8 years of 6 doe tags will do that. and now the guys that used to fill the 6 doe tags and their regular tag piss and moan about the low deer numbers. the pesky coyote seems to get the blame because it couldn't be the group of ten who took 60 deer a year every year. I should say yes up north there is a 2 week season ....down south they run 3 one week gun hunts. you get drawn for only one....first hunt is shotgun/muzzleloader, second hunt is muzzleloader only and the last hunt is shotgun/muzzleloader. insurance companies and farmers run the mnr. crop damage, mostly from coons, gets the farmers bibs in a bunch and insurance companies don't like paying out for collisions. it just pisses me off to no end that wildlife isn't managed to actually make money and increase tourism like in the states. I forget what I paid for my deer lic this year 48.00 I think and I would like to see where those funds are allocated. how can you say orange isn't any safer? that's a bold statement sir and dare I say ignorant I do respect you clark. maybe in your province where hunter density huge it makes less of an impact but I want to be seen and I want to see others. if I am looking over a cutblock I want to be able to see a dude sitting on a log in orange vs camoed up, whats it hurt. damnit all sorry for the rant im pissy my bro who lives in bc just left today after 16 years of not visiting ont, this is my last weekend I can guide and my back is screwed and my knees feel like someone took a hammer to em.....urg ill go back to feeling sorry for myself

rocksteady
11-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Maybe they were all "heavily intoxicated and smoke crack" first, just like Ford?

1/2 slam
11-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Sorry. Not buying it. Stats can be manipulated to suite what ever you want.

Hunter orange does not make it any safer.

wicket
11-11-2013, 09:43 AM
seat belts, drivers age limits, the CORE program are all probably not needed as well

excuse my sarcasm but I think you guys wrapped your tinfoil hats a little to tight

dingdongdenny
11-12-2013, 03:59 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness
it seems 8% of the male population is color blind, cant see red.

11-12-2013, 04:51 PM
I love pushing bush. Just gotta be safe while doing it. I use to push bush a lot, but not so much anymore. I still think about it lots, though!

Gateholio
11-12-2013, 05:37 PM
seat belts, drivers age limits, the CORE program are all probably not needed as well

excuse my sarcasm but I think you guys wrapped your tinfoil hats a little to tight

Hunter orange is a cop out and leads to complacency.

davet
11-12-2013, 05:54 PM
that may be true but even i was colour blind i would not just shoot at anything that moves.

Walksalot
11-12-2013, 06:02 PM
It would be a SOB trying to wrap your head around the fact you accidentally shot a person. A life changing experience to say the least. I would imagine charges would not be necessary for it would haunt you the rest of your life.