PDA

View Full Version : North Idaho Whitetail for ex BC'er

brotherjack
11-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Howdy Ya'll,

Been a long time since I posted a thread here, but I see enough familiar faces still posting around I thought I'd throw this up for old times sake. For those that don't know, I left BC and moved to Idaho back in 2010. Since moving down here, I have not had much luck hunting (for a variety of reasons - not enough time off, don't know the good spots here like I did there, much lower critter density down here, etc), but last night I finally got it all put together and dropped the hammer on a nice little meat-buck. Story goes like this:

The Wife(tm) and I woke up before dawn, and headed in to the hunting area. Set up in two separate spots that seemed likely for some deer activity. And waited... and waited... and waited... I had finally had all the waiting I can stand, so I got up and started hiking. We had a fresh skiff of snow on the ground, so I was hunting for tracks. As is typical in the Coeur d'Alene area, where hunters wolves and coyotes outnumber the deer 20 to 1, I hiked for a couple of hours without seeing a single deer track (though if I had a shotgun that fired coyote tracks, and walked down the trails shooting the ground every few feet - it would look just about like what I saw). But, I am stubborn and determined, and so I hiked until I finally caught some deer tracks crossing the trail I was on. I turned and followed them through some nasty brush, and eventually wound up back in a kind of rough/brushy clearing that had a nice draw running down through the middle of it. There were three well defined trails along the bottom of the draw, with deer tracks on all three both coming and going (and at least 4 different deer tracks - fawn, doe, small buck, and bigger buck). The far side of the clearing was a posted fence line, but the clearing was sure enough public/huntable. Snow quit less than 24 hours ago, so they were fairly fresh, and so I marked that spot on the GPS and kept hiking. I hiked for probably 3 hours - didn't bounce a single deer (typical here). By this time, my legs/feet from the knees down were soaked to the boan and I was loosin feeling in my toes, so I rounded back to the truck to pick up The Wife(tm) and head back home to warm up.

Later that afternoon The Wife(tm) and I headed back into the same area. I plunked down in my lawn-chair with my back to a bush in the spot I'd marked on the GPS, and The Wife(tm) sat up on a high point about half a mile away where she could see a good 400 yards in any direction. I took about 15 or 20 minutes to break off dead branches and rip up some weeds, and othewise clear some shooting lanes from my position. Then I settled in for a wait. 4 hours till dark - which is a bit long for me, I usually get stir crazy about 3 hours in if I haven't seen anything (and not seeing anything is the norm for local hunting). But, I had fresh tracks, and by golly, I wasn't going to pass this up.

Aoubt 3 hours later, I'm in the midst of the usual "this is a waste of time, I'm in a bad spot, I should go hunt farther up the trail, this is frustrating, etc...".... when I hear a squirrel go into it's "get the hell away from here" song. Hrmmm.... could it be? Na... 5 minutes go by... 10... I am swinging my head ever so slowly back and forth, because I can see almost 360 degrees in any direction from my position, so I'm trying to watch as much as possible. I'm just coming back around over my left shoulder when my heart stops. Deer. Buck. 50 ish yards. In the one spot I didn't clear out the low hanging branches. Heading off the trail into some thick stuff.

Not sure if I was ever going to get another shot, in less time than it takes to type this, I brought yee olde 30-06 to my shoulder, guesstimated the low hanging branches between us were close enough to the deer to not matter much, and sent a 180 grain Nosler BT on it's way. BANG. Flop. Ohhhh.. yeahh.... first buck since I left BC, down and out! Not the biggest deer I ever shot (actually one of the bottom 3), and probably the small buck of the two sets of tacks I saw, but he was working on being a little 4x3, and I didn't really care anyway - I hunt for food and if the antlers are big, I like that, but I don't really care when it's hammer time - legal animal = dead ainmal. :)

The Wife(tm) still had an hour or so to hunt, so I just sat back in my chair and said a prayer of thanks, and relaxed till dark. She didn't get nothing, but by that point, we didn't care so much - too much happiness we had a buck down to worry about it. Then, I went and got the truck, picked up the wife, and then the real work started.

Post mortem on the deer - I'm 99% sure the bullet hit a branch on the way in and impacted either full sideways or at least a good bit off-kilter. Strangest looking entry wound I've seen - oblong and large. Also, my aim is pretty good at 50 ish yards, and I was aiming about 3 inches forward and about 4 inches lower than where it hit. But, whatever, it bang-flop'ed 'im, so I'm a happy dude.

Oh, and it's first blood for my custom built Interarms Mauser I snagged off a really good friend of mine, which made me happy too.

Obligatory pic:

http://xjack.org/hunting/2013-wt01.jpg

patbrennan
11-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Great story, welcome back. How is life in North Idaho vs. BC? Pretty country round C'oeur d'Alene and east of there, we went through the fall of 2012.

doubled
11-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Welcome back brother. Thanks for the story and pic.

d6dan
11-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Welcome back brother. Thanks for the story and pic.

X2. Great to see your success and read your post. :-D

Elkaholic
11-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Good to see you back on here BrotherJack, I had wondered what happened to you only a week ago. Great story, way to put meat in the freezer. Thanks for sharing, I hope this means your going to be semi active on here again?

JIL_24/7
11-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Love it. Great little buck. Should be great eating!

Philcott
11-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Nice to see you remember the gang here and remembered to post your first Idaho buck story.

Thanks for sharing and continued good luck.

wicket
11-07-2013, 03:11 PM
excellent deer and story congrats

brotherjack
11-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Thank for the warm words, ya'll, much appreciated! No, I certainly never forget/forgot my old home in cyberspace here. I'm not likely to become the post whore I was back in the day, but yeah, I'm here more than none, and we all know I can't keep my mouth shut. :)

Life in Coeur d'Alene is pretty good to me and mine, to be honest. I live in a nice house on 13 acres way back up a dirt road, in a neighborhood where I can't see any neighbors from my house, and the ones I can't see are quiet and well behaved, and a homeowners assn (HOA) that says it has to stay that way - for the same $$$ as what I sold my small-ish 2 bedroom back in Cranbrook. I work from home, so I hardly ever leave the woods. What else could a guy ask for? The only downer is, HOA says no hunting/shooting back in here, which I can respect. I can give up that if they can give up all the other junk the HOA says is a no-go here.

Public land hunting in the immediate Coeur d'Alene area sucks huge though. Hunters outnumber the deer 10 to 1, we have coyotes thick as thieves, and wolves closer to town than you'd think. I've even started wearing hunter orange - not because I'm afraid someone will shoot me, but because they're so thick, and I want to give them a chance to see me and politely back off a couple hundred yards or so (which they generally do). So, anything an EK resident would call good hunting is a pretty fair drive from here, which is a bummer, after shooting my deer 5 mins from home most years back there. However, I do like the elk hunting down here at (undisclosed location a couple hours drive from home), any-bull season. This was my first year hunting elk seriously since I moved down, and I saw more legal elk in 10 days than I saw in 8 years of hunting twice as hard in BC. I didn't personally drop the hammer on one (which is a story in itself, about some jack-ape on a quad fanagling it around the gate I'd hiked almost a mile past, who came screaming up and spooked the elk out of the area literally seconds before I was going to be ready to plunk out a 300 yard shot on a nice bull), but one of the guys in our party did, and since I'm a big strapping guy who's a lot of good on a pack job - I get to eat elk all winter. :) And, to be fair, I'm actually kind of liking the whole "OK, we're going to plan some time off, and then go do nothing but hunt for a week" thing - it's kind of more relaxing than just kind of randomly fitting hunts into my schedule like I did back in the EK, so it's all good I guess, just different.

Jagermeister
11-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Nice going BrotherJack and nice seeing you posting again.
I like Couer d'Alene, nice country.

Iltasyuko
11-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Nice deer, congratulations and thanks for posting.

Everett
11-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Good to have you back Adam glad Idaho is agreeing with you and the Mrs.'s. Wife is still loving the Kimber you hated mind you its a .338 federal now. She has taken an Elk, Caribou, MT Goat and a Black Bear with it.

Buckman
11-07-2013, 07:07 PM
nice one Adam. Looks good to eat. say high to wendy

Rackmastr
11-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Good to see you back around these parts! Thanks for sharing the pic!

brotherjack
11-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Everett Glad you guys are still enjoying the rifle. If it had shot straight when I owned it, I would have loved it too - the fit/balance/handling/etc are superb on those. But, we were already so sour on it, I didn't have the time or patience to work on it anymore. Glad you did! :)

Buckman - dude! Imagine seeing you here? :)

Buckman
11-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Ha Ha Ha funny guy. I'm suprised you still know how to shoot a gun! since there are almost no critters there.

brotherjack
11-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Heh - you ain't that far off. If I didn't practice at the range, it's been a LOONG time since I shot something. Only other critter I've killed since I moved here was a doe 2 years ago that I hunted harder for (by a mile) than any other deer I ever shot in my life (like, days and days and miles and miles of not seeing a SINGLE DANG DEER until finally on the last day of the season, it all came together). Though, I did miss a shot at a NICE buck that year - 200 yards through brushy country is just too far, I learned. Even if I was on (and I think I was), twigs and crap mess up the accuracy.

Though, in some fairness, I have managed to be in the middle of changing jobs during hunting season for 2 of the 4 years I've hunted here, which has cramped my ability to sneek out for a week or three to hunt serious like, and the 1st year here I didn't realize how or where to hunt in the seemingly the same but in reality very different area. Almost no logging activity down here in 50 years = miles and miles of forest too thick to let much food grow down low for critters. Which leaves some fairly small areas left to hunt, and a ton of hunters in those areas. It's just a whole different game, despite being very similar terrain to the Canadian Kootenay's.

Which leaves this year, and technically, I've only put in 3 days afield for that buck (which I nailed about 15 minutes drive from home, in the midst of an area with at least 1 hunter per sq mile), which makes me feel a little more like I know what's going on and how to git er dun here now. It's all about putting the miles on the boots till you find today-fresh sign, and then getting it done that day. Or, driving 2 or 3 hours and camping in the RV someplace with better game density. The whole "take a quick road-hunt up the nearest forestry road from home while bored some evening, and shooting a deer while we're at it" thing we did back around Cranbrook... not happening here.