PDA

View Full Version : Ambush Saddle, has anyone ever used them?

Stéphane
11-06-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm reading a book and the guys swear by that thing. Not sure what to think.

Some call it tree saddle or tree sling.

http://www.booneman.com/_stealthtreesaddle.php

rogerb
11-07-2013, 09:25 AM
we use them & like them a lot. takes a bit of getting used to though. main problem with them now is that the trophyline version is out of production as the company is out of business. can still buy them now & again on ebay but you'll likely be paying northwards of 300 for one. several different types were made. the ambush was the lightest. there were also leather & neoprene versions that were warmer but bulkier & heavier. we use the ambush model as they are the lightest to wear & cool in early season. lots of good videos on youtube that will show you how they are used & some of the modifications users have come up with. definitely check them out if you enjoy treestand hunting. will be using mine again next week as the whities start chasing...

Stéphane
11-21-2013, 12:46 PM
I wonder why no one else copied the idea. I did see one $300 on ebay and the bidding was still going. Too pricey for me, but I like the idea espcially where hunting for BT going through incredible tough walking. Having a foldable 3lbs "treestand", could be very handy.

I wonder if there were some safety issues, because it is a bit puzzling why it hasn't caught on.

bighorn
11-21-2013, 01:05 PM
if your back in the bush a long ways,what do you use for getting up a tree

westcoastal
11-21-2013, 08:16 PM
I was looking at this: WEST MARINE Premium Bosun's Chair, I think with an additional safety harness and covering up the shiny, bright parts with camo tape this would work well. $168 online.

Stéphane
11-21-2013, 09:23 PM
if your back in the bush a long ways,what do you use for getting up a tree
You use screw in rungs which you would pre-install during your scouting phase. The guys who use them say they do it in the winter or spring, and remove the bottom 6. They carrythe rungs with them during hunting and install them on the trees they pre-selected. Still small and light weight.

I was looking at this: WEST MARINE Premium Bosun's Chair, I think with an additional safety harness and covering up the shiny, bright parts with camo tape this would work well. $168 online.
I think that's the same idea. No mention of the weight, but doesn't look heavy. Extremely high reviews. I can't see why this wouldn't work.