PDA

View Full Version : huntable drive from Kamloops to West Kelowna?

luckofthedraw
11-06-2013, 04:17 PM
The wife and I are in Kamloops for a house rental search. People told me the rental market here is tough...and they weren't kidding. Leaving within the next few days to West Kelowna. Wondering if there is a drive I can take that has me on back roads where I can maybe bump into a deer. The backroads map book looks like there are a lot of options but I'm not really interested in getting stuck, dealing with wash outs, deactivations etc (especially with wife in the truck) Anyone have any suggestions....or am I asking too much. Thanks.

421fighter
11-06-2013, 05:09 PM
If you take 5A back toward Merritt, then take a left up through Salmon Lake and into Westwold, there should be something to look at. Maybe just domestic cows, and some cowboys, but it isn't a bad drive. Just stay on the dedicated road, as there are cams out for trespassers on the ranch, which is huge! 35,000 acres. Dave

doubled
11-06-2013, 06:15 PM
You could take the Pennask Rd from Merritt but there is ALOT of snow the last week up on the plateau.

Pete
11-06-2013, 06:46 PM
just came out of the westwold country down in to Douglas lake an hour ago....been up there all day, was as high as 1400m more snow up high. good snow tires are a must

Sofa King
11-06-2013, 06:56 PM
just came out of the westwold country down in to Douglas lake an hour ago....been up there all day, was as high as 1400m more snow up high. good snow tires are a must

really?
I've been driving up off the connector in the deep stuff with my almost-done all terrains.
heading up in the morning looking for a bruiser.

thick
11-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Take the connector then turn at the sunset main exit. Get on the Bear FSR and away you go. It goes up in km until 19km then it switches from Gormans Bear to Tolko's Bear and the Km's start going down from 48km. There's a ton of side roads along the way to check out. I've been working in the area the last few weeks and there is quite a bit of hunting traffic up there lately so chances of seeing a deer on the main road are slim but lots of opportunities on the side roads or even just go for a walk off the main.

I was through there today and the road is fine, there is up to 8 inches in spots but there's a well beaten track all the way through, you don't need 4wd until you get off onto the side roads. It's not currently plowed and there isn't anyone hauling out of there right now, just a bit of road building near windy lake at 43 km. At around 6km on the Gormans side there is a junction, if you go right you will be on sunset main and will end up coming out in peachland, I recommend just staying left on the bear and you pass under the connector and just keep on going until it spits you out on west side road in west kelowna. It's a nice drive if you haven't been through before and you don't have to worry about any washouts etc...

good luck

luckofthedraw
11-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the replies. Didn't head out today, and because we couldn't...I won't have time to take this drive this time around. I'll have to search this post at a later date. Thanks anyways.

Pete
11-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Lots of really wet snow up high above the private main fsr. Road conditions are not good, take care this weekend and go prepared.