PDA

View Full Version : Dease Lake 6-23/24 Next fall??

emerson
11-06-2013, 02:01 PM
2-3 guys, 2 quads, 18' o/b jet boat. Probably 1 1/2 weeks total travelling from PG. Got some family connections but looking for timing advice and other's experiences up there. Moose with caribou maybe after. Is it worth going that far looking for meat success? Anything you would do differently next time? Thanks.

Avalanche123
11-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Wow where to start....First, check the Regs as there are areas with rut closures and ATV restrictions. Since you are after "meat success", then you are going before mid-Sept otherwise the caribou meat will suck. Of course this means pre-rut for moose which suggests "spot and stalk"....

Since it is a new area to you, a big part of the experience will be learning the area so your chances of success have just gone down. That's just the way it is.

Lots of hunters up there too depending on whether you use quads or the boat. Dease lake and river will be best options for the boat but that won't be a caribou hunt.

Papa Sasquatch
11-06-2013, 07:06 PM
Of all the people I saw in the two weeks up late September up 6-24 I only know of three successful Bull Moose killed.
The Grouse are prolific... lots of them, a big pack of wolves. Didn't see any bears at all but many lucky LEH for Grizzlies.
Good luck to you.

Cordillera
11-06-2013, 08:27 PM
caribou hunting from boat and atv is a low odds proposition. there are a couple areas for caribou that are close to roads (gnat pass, cassiar) but there are not many bulls. For caribou the odds favour fly in or horses. Moose just require getting away from the crowds, and yes there are crowds at any of the places that have obvious access. Moose in most areas are low density, so if someone else is there, the easy bulls get shot and it can be a hard hunt. If you are alone, and the rut is on, it can be good.

It is a nice area, good luck.

emerson
11-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. Moose will be the first priority. Location wise, the family connections take away much of the first timer. Might forgo the quads, maybe use them on another trip to different part of the province. I don't have any hunting partners with boats, a second boat would open up options safetywise. I have one real good hunting partner which is the biggest hurdle already overcome.

whiteraven
11-08-2013, 02:36 PM
jade mine rd noboat needed turnagain river jet yes adsit lake rd across dease river. lots of hunters at all spots big moose big grizz quad restrictions . save all the gear and fly in just better but not cry lake

lightmag
11-08-2013, 04:48 PM
i know area pretty good , been up there 3 times in last year and a half, grizz hunt, moose , caribou, goat etc..

the two of us tagged out on bull moose in 4 days.... had a good stalk on a bou but couldnt confirm 5 on top, then snow hit and goats and bou were not accesible. there are 5 of us that go up at various times, 3 came back late august with 3 goats and a caribou, passed on bull moose.
last year other three all tagged out on bull moose and they got two bou as well.

amazing area , big!! for moose quad or boat a must, we quad, hike etc, sitkiniw river is flooded with people.... bell river is good for moose, put in before bell 2 lodge, dease river is great for moose, but again can be busy... get away from people!!! you will find/call moose!! calling works best, rut can vary, sept 20th to oct 4/5th... best to plan fo r2 weeks , day drive each way, a week flys by up there!! caribou are there, like stated earlier, get before sept 20/21st or you cant eat them, trust me!! go high for caribou, moose are both high and low. caribou hunting is best from gnat pass on,... north towards yukon boarder and up high .

pm me if you have questions

lightmag
11-08-2013, 04:54 PM
oh ya, jade boulder road is a freeway at first light.... if your going there go waaaay back, thru turnigan river, back to wolverine lake area..... big moose and caribou there but its a 10,3,or 2 season on moose with quad restrictions 400 meters off road... i prefer open bull season .. which is at begining of jade boulder but changes further up...

emerson
11-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the info all. Lightmag I'll pm you later when kids are less needy.