PDA

View Full Version : Skull mountain Barrier ATV question

fozzy
11-06-2013, 12:20 PM
The regs state:Map C17 Skull Mountain Motor Vehicle Closed Area (situated in MU 3-28). Roads shown as open lines are open year-round.All other roads closed to motor vehicles from Sept. 1 to Dec. 10.
There is no mention in the regs whether or not ATV's are allowed on these open roads. The signs posted mention off-road vehicle use and the way I read it ATV'S are not allowed. I did see a couple loading an ATV one day.
I don't want to ride the thing all day in there, it just saves some wear and tear on the truck, especially with the camper on the back.

I called the CO# and just get the recorded messages.
Can anyone local clarify?
Cheers

Fozzy

goatdancer
11-06-2013, 12:22 PM
If the regs say closed to motor vehicles, ATVs are not allowed. They are motor vehicles.

bighornbob
11-06-2013, 12:23 PM
If a truck is allowed then an ATV is allowed (open roads). All other roads are closed for any motor vehicle.

BHB

Jelvis
11-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Anything off the mains and your sol, anyone that's run off the main are closed but have no signs saying anything, some say they are marked or should be, but they're not.
The green road on the sign by the Westsyde road showing Skull Mtn Zone is the only road open to atv's or trucks and cars or motor bikes.
Lot's of cheaters up there. The CO's are finally showing up and nailing some of these poachers.
.. Keep Skull alive and well and protect and watch for her wildlife .. otherwise
take a hike, lol ...
This is our home
.. Don't take advantage of her or you'll pay, Mother Nature will punish the lawless
Jel (Guardian Angel) Hunt Society -- hunt in sobriety -- don't mess up
My Angel is watching Skull for lawbreakers -- breaker breaker -- what's yer 20?

one-shot-wonder
11-06-2013, 01:05 PM
There is an overall map defining the closed/open areas denoted by green and red marks. Pretty clear what is open for vehicles (all types) and which are not. Check and double check......the CO's are not afraid to write tickets in there over past years.

doubled
11-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Once you get there, there is a map showing which roads are closed and open as well. Also each road has a sign saying closed or open usually as well. PM me and I can give you some tips there.

fozzy
11-06-2013, 01:45 PM
From what I have seen the roads are marked real well with either green(open) or red (closed). I'm only interested in the open roads. Not interested in cheating, getting a fine or getting yelled at.
The last bullet point on the sign is what gave me question. I should have written down why it says or taken a picture.
thanks for the replies so far

Jelvis
11-06-2013, 05:02 PM
That's total bs attitude, that's double bs,
wrong, and to give that info saying a sign shows roads closed and open
There's one way in and one way out to catch these poachers who think there's nothing wrong with driving anywhere they want, and if it don't say closed it's open.
Partially true but way off on other things said.
The closed roads don't have signs saying closed.
The road that is open has a green circle sign saying open, that's it
The only sign saying closed is an old old sign on a tree saying closed because below it connects with the ranch below. It's at 6.5 K in on the lower fork.cIt was put up 50 years ago. That's it.
The reason being, less excuses to drive every road that doesn't say CLOSED
Because the green road on the sign is the ONLY road with a green sign, saying open
I'm glad the CO's are courageous the warriors on the front line, men and women of courage and it starts with us, make us courageous, don't let the laws and regs be eroded through secrecy and silence, it's time to watch the wilderness folks
And I got eyes and ears but everyone who hunts the Skull Special Zone needs to stand up and be courageous.
JP jel jel ( Gaurdian AnJel ) Courage and Passion -- the Big Buck Ass sas soon
Let's get back to the regs and learn, so you won't need an excuse to slip the noose

fozzy
11-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Easy there Jelvis :)

Some of the roads ARE marked closed, many of them, and as you say some roads are not marked at all.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264/fozzy_M40A1/ED778CBA-3423-432C-A0F9-0DED1218D665-3610-0000035FAAADC615_zps2eade5ff.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264/fozzy_M40A1/B1F67271-8659-4467-A390-F968C62D287B-3610-0000035F99100D0B_zpsfb910a44.jpg

My original post pertains to the third bullet point in this sign below..
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264/fozzy_M40A1/47405F23-3C17-4F55-A5E5-D5771E461CBD-3610-0000035F8C3B031B_zps99ebeb4d.jpg

Jelvis
11-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Good one fozz
Yah some roads open green ones, all others going off that don't have green are closed to motors.
Easier to manage and the less signs the better communication level.
Some hunters can get mixed up hiking or driving and then their lost in the voods.
Think green signs and stay green, no in between.
If your new to the Skullian, it's like wow and whoa, where do I go?
Just don't get mixed up and drive on a road that ain't green, you know what I mean.
That sign say green and nuttin butt green, no in between.
Now you can drive around on the green roads and cover area and spots.
But you gotta be hot to trots
Those big mule bucks are behind the curtain of cedar and willow
Your ass is as big as a pillow
Hahahaha
Wow your puttin in time eh
Do some walkin and let the deer trails do the talkin
Hit a trail, follow and deliver the mail
POW!
Now your braggin when yah shoulds a bin draggin
It's getting dark snow starts fallin, and you can't be crawlin
Lost and lonely child, go down the wrong way at the right time
Hit the river and no way across and the Yellowhead is what?
Over dare and yer gittn scared, shadows and moon beams movin each step
What look out a cougar abear? No just paranoid, your cooling to qwick
Hypo thermia has taken first lick
Hahahahaha
Mamma Nature is a beach
Jel .. Don't git mixed up after dark this ain't a picnic and I'll kick yer butt lol.

Grousedaddy
11-06-2013, 08:01 PM
I seen that look a like elvis that lives in kamloops at walmart the other day dressed as elvis like always but this time he was wearing a camo coat..... Is that guy you Jelvis ????? Does your real name start with a J and because you love elvis and act as him for a living equal to JELVIS random i know but it just dawned on me!!

Jelvis
11-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Daddy .. It's Go Time! GO Daddy, please!
Go! and stay gone
Jelly lol -- no pm's either ..

one-shot-wonder
11-06-2013, 09:17 PM
My original post pertains to the third bullet point in this sign below..
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264/fozzy_M40A1/47405F23-3C17-4F55-A5E5-D5771E461CBD-3610-0000035F8C3B031B_zps99ebeb4d.jpg

The green and red is self explanatory regardless of vehicle, regarding the 3rd point above, It is stating to not use a vehicle off the roads, meaning dont drive up an area near a road that has a closed sign, playing silly bugger " I am not driving up a closed road, I am driving off road"

Looking_4_Jerky
11-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Yes, allowed to take your ATV on any roads open to trucks, basically, the road from the main entrance to Snake Lk, Rexford Lk, and the main Skull FSR past Corrall Lk and ending at the bridge over Fishtrap Cr. Much better for CO patrols in the last 5 or 6 years, was an anarchy sh!tshow before that. You may still see the odd moron driving where they're not supposed to. Make sure you report if you happen to see someone disregarding the regs!

Heavy pressure there makes for few legal bucks in 4 pt season. Still a nice place to hunt - has some of my favorite hikes.

Darksith
11-06-2013, 09:31 PM
skull mountain has been hit really really hard by wolves...Im not sure I would be hunting that area...lots of better spots fairly close

horshur
11-06-2013, 09:53 PM
skull mountain has been hit really really hard by wolves...Im not sure I would be hunting that area...lots of better spots fairly close

you hunt there eh??? lol

Brian011
11-07-2013, 05:39 AM

And by hunters, busiest place I've seen this yr.

Westslope
11-07-2013, 09:33 AM
I would recommend wearing blaze orange when hunting in that area. Skull can be a war zone this time of year....

doubled
11-07-2013, 11:27 AM
It is busy no doubt but like most places, most guys do not walk. Get your boots on the ground and walk the ridges and you will be alone.

Jelvis
11-07-2013, 02:22 PM
I walk the ridges to fill the fridges.
I walk high and enjoy the sky
I leave humanity behind
I hunt the pockets that I only go, you don't know
I see deer everyday it takes my breath away
If i see you driven where it's closed
I'll stop you and say, turn it off scoff
Your Fired! lol.
Donald Frump will make you a chump
A zero on the front page of the Barriere Post
Jelly you'd be toast after the roast yood be white as a ghost ..haha we'll git yah
Think smart don't dart -- back n forth -- stay on the green road -- no utter
or you'll sputter to a STOP now!

khoffnbud
11-07-2013, 05:31 PM
I walk the ridges to fill the fridges.
I walk high and enjoy the sky
I leave humanity behind
I hunt the pockets that I only go, you don't know
I see deer everyday it takes my breath away
If i see you driven where it's closed
I'll stop you and say, turn it off scoff
Your Fired! lol.
Donald Frump will make you a chump
A zero on the front page of the Barriere Post
Jelly you'd be toast after the roast yood be white as a ghost ..haha we'll git yah
Think smart don't dart -- back n forth -- stay on the green road -- no utter
or you'll sputter to a STOP now!

This is exactly the kind of crap I would expect to see from the north shore.

Jelvis
11-07-2013, 05:53 PM
If you do drive into the bottom of Skull Zone on Wolsey Road at the corner of Westsyde Road and Wolsey Road there is a big sign showing you where you can drive.
Plain and simple stay on the green road. Period!
If you drive off the green road, on or off another road or on bare ground you have committed an offence against the Wildlife Act of B.C.
You can drive the green road but no udderz.
If you enter the zone other than Wolsey Road you cannot drive on any other road to access to get in or out of the Special Skull Mt Zone from Sept 1 til December 10 without committing an offense.
Seriously.
So one way in, one way out when driving any motor rised vee hic' al. Hic!
So you need to study that sign real good during the dates between September one to December ten, or be FIRED!
Jelly ( Donald's ) Trump! Donald says "Make It Happen!" In Life and Business
Don't be a dick all your life.

russm86
11-08-2013, 08:57 AM
It is busy no doubt but like most places, most guys do not walk. Get your boots on the ground and walk the ridges and you will be alone.

Not entirely true, I have hunted this place for years, been getting busier and busier, last year I went in there a few times hiking, every time I ran into someone else hiking. The one day, I hiked back probably 5k and ended up running into 2 other guys, not hiking together either... Does get you away from some though. I agree with others, it isn't what it used to be though, the first few years immediately following the fire it was easy to find all kinds of bucks, I remember the one day in there I saw 18 bucks, i think like 10 of them were all nice 4-points, since then it has been on a decline, too open, too many hunters, now the wolves and coyotes. Definitely not what it was... Last year when I was in there I don't think I saw any bucks at least any 4-points in the late season last year like I usually see. Before it got so busy I had seen some of the biggest bucks I have ever seen up there.

doubled
11-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Russm86, I grew up there and go back as I still have family there. I have only run into a handful of people while hiking and that is all our group does there. Go to the remote or tough to hike areas and you will be alone. Most people there do not even get out of their truck.

I do agree with your points on the bucks. It has definitely gone down hill but there are other factors involved that you did not mention that have had a huge effect on this.

Jelvis
11-08-2013, 02:00 PM
The people who live around Barriere are some of the worst offenders.
The top brass from Kammy wildlife authority came out and told the atv guys to stick with the plan or a yellow metal gate will be locked up across the road on the bottom just past the lil hobby farm on the Wolsey Road going into The Zone.
You cannot drive on the pipeline/telus line either with motor eyes vee Hic al.
You'll be eyeballed by someone, the under cover cops. Under the cover. Man and Woman.
You will be heard. You will be seen, you will be apprehended. You will be Eye deeded. Hahaha
Your face on the front page of the Barriere Herald -- Lol
Every telephone pole from Darfield to Vinsula with your mug shot in full display along the hwy
Jel -- Do the right thing -- not the wrong -- ignorance is No excuse -- don't be a recluse

Swamp Rat
11-09-2013, 08:06 PM
I made a call to RAPP today. Reported ATV in restricted area. Seems they took a nice buck far off the open road but chose to drag it out with their Quad.

doubled
11-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Did they get them then?

Bobfl
11-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Look at the map on the sign, you can only be on westsyde rd through skull mountain. pretty straigtht forward

Darksith
11-09-2013, 09:34 PM
you hunt there eh??? lol
definitely not. Been there once. The only reason I know about the wolf problem is that I chatted up a CO and he told me they were trapping wolves in there like crazy and they had taken or driven out most of the deer...I tend to avoid the crowds, and my freezers are full, haven't been out since Oct 2...

Jelvis
11-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Swamp Rat, hey, I gotta say thank you for being a true warrior for proper hunting up Skull
for everyone to take as a good move on your part phoning it in, we need more of this courage and concern for a Special Winter Range Zone up Skull Mtn area.
My hats off to you and two thumbs up for your quick thinking, observing and reporting to RAPP.
Jel .. Your a true warrior protecting Skull from poachers -- Keep up the guardian spirit.
Skull Mtn Guardian/Warrior Society is pleased with your action and thanks you for your courage

horshur
11-09-2013, 10:27 PM
definitely not. Been there once. The only reason I know about the wolf problem is that I chatted up a CO and he told me they were trapping wolves in there like crazy and they had taken or driven out most of the deer...I tend to avoid the crowds, and my freezers are full, haven't been out since Oct 2...

HERE IS THE DEAL......my boy and were in there today we seen 85 mule deer give or take and 4 four point or better including one very nice double drop..it is very hard to walk anywhere without stumbling over more deer...we shot one average 4 point. The bucks were rutting.. there was a lot of action and we did not see a soul....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0118_zpsa349f648.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/akdana/media/IMG_0118_zpsa349f648.jpg.html)

Jelvis
11-09-2013, 10:41 PM
horshur knows Bo.
You did some walkin for shur
Jel .. Good to have yah around horsh -- always a good report

Looking_4_Jerky
11-10-2013, 10:37 PM
HERE IS THE DEAL......my boy and were in there today we seen 85 mule deer give or take and 4 four point or better including one very nice double drop..it is very hard to walk anywhere without stumbling over more deer...we shot one average 4 point. The bucks were rutting.. there was a lot of action and we did not see a soul....

Hmmm. That's interesting. I was there today and it was ridiculous with people. Saw good amount of does and a few bucks, but nothing better than a 2x3. I was even seeing guys walking the bush while I was glassing - in two different spots! Skull continues to go downhill as far as I'm concerned.

fozzy
11-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Today the friendly CO stopped by the area and inspected my deer. All boned out from the back pack out, I have it in game bags under a tarp tent sitting on top of expanded metal to get air flow all around it.
It was good to see him around and have a chat.
Those guys are sure run off their feet this time of year trying to cover such a huge area. Hats off to the eyes and ears that make their job easier.

Fozzy

Brian011
11-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Hmmm. That's interesting. I was there today and it was ridiculous with people. Saw good amount of does and a few bucks, but nothing better than a 2x3. I was even seeing guys walking the bush while I was glassing - in two different spots! Skull continues to go downhill as far as I'm concerned.
That's how it's been every time I've been in there this yr, bucks don't get past 3 1/2 yrs old, which is too bad cause there is some good genetics in there but most 4 points don't make the season. Heard of a few decent 3 points shot and left in there too. Seems like everyone that goes in there sees lots of deer and then they take everyone else in there and so on.

Jelvis
11-11-2013, 06:13 PM
My buddy did the whole Skull Mtn study on deer and moose for two years steady.
Every week.
My other buddy had the say on what roads could stay open during gos.
I even talked to the leader about Skull Mtn Special Zone and she asked me what I thought
Whoa.
Don't use atv on any restricted road, closed to Motor Vehicles, morning, noon or night.
It's a huge area for muley and moose to hide out, easy to get turned around at Skull Mtn.
No one wants to hike anymore, too cold, too steep, too wet etc.
Why? Lay Zeeeee your chicken bawk bawk bawk lol, afraid of the dark? Haha
JelZee Bee Honce Hay .. Hunt legal or don't show at all ..

Swamp Rat
11-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Today the friendly CO stopped by the area and inspected my deer. All boned out from the back pack out, I have it in game bags under a tarp tent sitting on top of expanded metal to get air flow all around it.
It was good to see him around and have a chat.
Those guys are sure run off their feet this time of year trying to cover such a huge area. Hats off to the eyes and ears that make their job easier.

Fozzy

I was pulled over as well.. good to see the CO doing the rounds at Skull.

While talking to the CO, another hunter approached us. He was leaving the area, as he had a verbal altercation with two other hunters about hunting in the same general area.. he didnt feel his vehicle would be safe if left alone.

Too many hunters for my liking. Will skip the November long weekend hunt at skull in the future.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-12-2013, 12:22 AM
I guess it depends what you're after. If you want to combat hunt with a ton of hunters in hopes of bagging a first year 4 point, it might not be bad. You'll see a bunch of does and it will make you feel like your doing something right. Of course, Remembrance Day long weekend will be particularly bad. It's like going to Morgan Lake opening weekend and fishing the crowds for some lazy 3 pounders. To some it does the job, but it falls well short of a quality experience in the eyes of most.

What Skull has working against it is that there's one way in and one way out, and is so confined by Westsyde Road and the river that if you go and decide it sucks for whatever reason, there's not even a real quick way to salvage the hunt short of going up Gorman, which is equivalent in terms of pressure, animals, etc.