PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a mentor or at least some advice.

cgizen
11-06-2013, 09:00 AM
I am eager to get out on my first hunt but I am having a bit of a problem. I know a few people who hunt and for one reason or another just have not been able to connect for a hunt. Well with the seasons end getting near, I am a little worried I may not have any success. I have enjoyed getting out there and being in the woods for sure but after a bit of scouting last year and putting more effort in this year it would be nice to put something in my freezer. I have a few spots that I am confident will have deer when I head up. What I am really wanting help with is dressing the deer. I know it might sound silly to some but, I am a little worried about dressing my first deer on my own. Is that a justified feeling or is it not as tricky as some people make it sound. I have watched numerous you tube videos, etc., part of me says ya just go for it, it won't be to hard but another part holds back and wants help. So I guess what I am asking is, is there anyone in the Lake Country, Kelowna area that would be willing to get together for a hunt? If not can I get advice on taking on my first field dressing solo? Thanks a lot!!

Steeleco
11-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Don't let fear of the unknown stop you from going out and trying to get that first animal. If you've done your homework as you say, then you'll be fine. The benefit of this time of year is it's much cooler than in Sept, as such you'll have the luxury of time on your side. Get the animal on the ground and go from there.

The best lessons in life are often self taught. If you can find someone that's great, but if you can't, don't let it hold you back.

hare_assassin
11-06-2013, 09:22 AM
I understand your concern about field dressing for the first time. There are some great youtube videos out there for sure, but they don't necessarily mention some of the common pitfalls involved in field dressing.

I wish you the best of luck in finding someone experienced to go along with you. It is by far the best way to learn. If I lived closer, I'd volunteer.

I thought I had it all embedded pretty well in my mind, but I was sure glad to have an experienced hunter friend there on my first deer.

Also, some people don't react well to the whole process. I have one friend who pukes after opening up the gut; every single time he does it. He still enjoys hunting; puking is just a part of it for him. If it happens to you, just get it over with and then get to work. Also, if you do find yourself doing it alone, take your time. Slicing open your hand when alone like that would create a very unpleasant and difficult situation.

emerson
11-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Don't let fear of the unknown stop you from going out and trying to get that first animal. If you've done your homework as you say, then you'll be fine. The benefit of this time of year is it's much cooler than in Sept, as such you'll have the luxury of time on your side. Get the animal on the ground and go from there.

The best lessons in life are often self taught. If you can find someone that's great, but if you can't, don't let it hold you back.

Yes. Don't pass up a chance for a successful hunt. Don't hurt yourself and do the best you can. It's much easier to tweak a process you have tried than refine one with no experience.

Moe.JKU
11-06-2013, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't worry to much about field dressing that much. I did it my first time this year with a moose. I was worried about it at first but once i got in there theres only one way to do it really. Like HA said just watch some videos on you tube and you should be good. I would help you out but i don't think i'm making it out that way again this year. Hopefully someone will help you out, I have seen a tonne of deer up that way last year in the summer you should be able to connect, if not youll learn stuff on your own which is always valuable.

cgizen
11-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the advice, I keep telling my self its not rocket science, your just taking guts out of an animal:confused: :-D, just take my time. That's is partly why I have tried to hold off as long as possible, like steelco said, its much cooler now. I have three days to get up and hope to have some success, if I don't hear from anyone I know, I will go up on my own. I will be up with my wife and son as well, as much as she has not hunted as an adult yet, she grew up in a hunting home, so maybe things will come back to her once we are up there. She definitely has an eye for spotting them. :-D

pnbrock
11-06-2013, 09:52 AM
1- cut open not running knife too deep. 2- cut diagram all to back bone. 3-cut wind pipe and pull to ass 4- cut out ass and pull through split pelvis. Done now go get a deer !!

hare_assassin
11-06-2013, 10:49 AM
One of the best things you can do to ensure success (whether alone or with a mentor) is to get good tools.

My most valuable tool is my knife, which is an Outdoor Edge SwingBlade. The "zipper" gutting blade is absolutely fantastic. People who hate guthooks love the "zipper" gutting blade. Some of my friends have purchased one of these knives after seeing how it works. The standard blade is great too. No problem holding a sharp edge through a whole deer.

http://www.outdooredge.com/SwingBlade-p/swingblade.htm

That knife, plus a good folding saw for bone and you will cruise through it like a pro.

Oh, for $12 or so there's also the "Butt Out 2". Lightweight and reusable, and makes dealing with the anal canal a walk in the park. Some people think it is useless. I've done it with and without; I prefer using the Butt Out.

Singleshotneeded
11-07-2013, 12:25 PM
I am eager to get out on my first hunt but I am having a bit of a problem. I know a few people who hunt and for one reason or another just have not been able to connect for a hunt. Well with the seasons end getting near, I am a little worried I may not have any success. I have enjoyed getting out there and being in the woods for sure but after a bit of scouting last year and putting more effort in this year it would be nice to put something in my freezer. I have a few spots that I am confident will have deer when I head up. What I am really wanting help with is dressing the deer. I know it might sound silly to some but, I am a little worried about dressing my first deer on my own. Is that a justified feeling or is it not as tricky as some people make it sound. I have watched numerous you tube videos, etc., part of me says ya just go for it, it won't be to hard but another part holds back and wants help. So I guess what I am asking is, is there anyone in the Lake Country, Kelowna area that would be willing to get together for a hunt? If not can I get advice on taking on my first field dressing solo? Thanks a lot!!
Hey bud, PM me and we'll chat...maybe meet for a beer and I'll go over it with you.

GotaGun
11-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Swing blade is awsome i love it.
got mine with orange handle- harder to loose/misplace

Watch youtube and go try it you'll only get better and faster on next one, if you don't cut yourself by the end you already did a good job.

Pete
11-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Where do you live??

cgizen
11-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Lake Country (Winfield)

PointMan
11-15-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm in Vernon, I'm busy this weekend but if you want to head out next week let me know. We can meet up somewhere or you can swing by and pick me up.

MB_Boy
11-15-2013, 11:43 AM
1- cut open not running knife too deep. 2- cut diagram all to back bone. 3-cut wind pipe and pull to ass 4- cut out ass and pull through split pelvis. Done now go get a deer !!

Yup.....it is pretty much that simple. Just be careful when making cuts around the stomach and lower end to the arse that you don't cut it accidentally as you don't want any of those contents in the cavity of the animal. One thing we always do is when you cut the windpipe take a piece of string and tie it tight sealing it up. You can use the windpipe as a "puller" and slowly pull it towards the arse of the animal slicing where the entrails attach to the cavity. Makes it pretty easy.....pull it back all the way to the ass end and then pull the guts out to the side. Then you can work on cutting around the anus.

Also....when cutting the animal open it doesn't hurt to skin it back a few inches as that may help you from getting hair inside the cavity. Cutting alongside the breastbone/sternum you don't need a saw....as there is cartilage in there which any decent knife will cut through.

Just don't rush it.....you'll be fine. :wink: