PDA

View Full Version : Deer on Burnaby Mountain

rollingrock
01-31-2007, 07:06 PM
Just wondering where did they go? I used to see a lot of signs in snow, road kills or even small odd herds along Barnet Hwy, but this year I've seen none. How about you guys?

bsa30-06
01-31-2007, 07:22 PM
I have lived here my whole life and can honestly say i have never seen any deer on burnaby mountain, but i have heard alot of them have been hit and killed by cars.A few years back i did see a doe walking around in the parking lot for the golf driving range at hastings and kensington, and i did see a small buck in the refinery there as well.As well i have seen lots of coyotes in the same area.

rollingrock
01-31-2007, 07:57 PM
I did see coyotes on the other side of the mountain. BTW, deer I saw in that area aren't big though.

Buchaneer
01-31-2007, 08:14 PM
I lived near there for a number of years ago. Used to see lots of deer along the road way up to SFU and along Barnet Hwy. One time I was at the rifle range on the mountain with five or six others. Despite all the shooting a lone doe walked across the range field. Made an tempting target but everyone just looked and one another and smiled. Can't say what it is like now - haven't been in the area for a while.

bsa30-06
01-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Rifle range is gone now , but i heard stories of deer walking out onto the range fairly often while it was operating.

lip_ripper00
01-31-2007, 08:30 PM
I used to see deer up around Horizions resturant regulary have not seen any for a while. LOTS of coyotes, I will ask the crew at Bby Mtn golf course tomorrow if theirs any around, I'm sure they would see them.

308BAR
01-31-2007, 09:42 PM
I've seen a few road kill one in particular stood out in my mind. It was near the entrance of petrocan refinery, it was a fair size body buck that was struck by a passing car, it had one of the thickest 4 point racks I've seen on a BT deer. I drove by it twice just to see it, the RCMP was attending by the deer waiting for the CO to come.

IMO there are still deer on the mountain, hard to say if they migrate or not.

Jarrett
01-31-2007, 10:07 PM
It's been a few years now (5 or 6) but we used to run into them fairly often while mountain biking up there... a buddy of mine who drives truck there says he sees them on the roads - one buck in particular he's seen a few years in a row that just keeps on getting to be a bigger and bigger 2 point...

MichelD
02-01-2007, 10:37 AM
I used to see them too, at the range, along the Barnet Highway and once on Hastings near the tank farms, but I've been told the new road around the south side (don't know the name) crossed one of their main crossings and finished the population off.

wetcoaster
02-01-2007, 10:57 AM
am up on the mountain nearly everyday from dawn until dusk and haven't seen deer much in the last three years compared to those in the past. Coyotes on the other hand I see them daily there is a large population.

jakerazer
02-01-2007, 11:25 AM
We used to have lots of deer, coyotes and even the odd cougar or bear at the refinery. I would see them mostly at night but sometimes during the day. I have even seen some of the bigger bucks battling it out during the rut. I once saw 3 four points and one 5 by 4 in a group.
Thier numbers have really dropped off though. Interestingly somebody spotted a guy in camo sneaking onto the property with a bow around the time the numbers started to drop off.:sad:
We may have some poachers working the area.

lip_ripper00
02-01-2007, 12:18 PM
I used to see deer up around Horizions resturant regulary have not seen any for a while. LOTS of coyotes, I will ask the crew at Bby Mtn golf course tomorrow if theirs any around, I'm sure they would see them.

talked to the golf course crew this am and they say they havent seen deer up their in a few years. coyotes daily, they did have a bear up their last year

wsm
02-01-2007, 07:20 PM
when i lived on burnaby mountian deer were common around the refinery

dime
02-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Lots of deer in the refinery still. I saw three bucks bedded down in the snow not more than 3 weeks ago, and have seen groups of does and fawns in December.

rollingrock
03-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Pretty happy to see a nice herd feeding beside the refinery yesterday afternoon.

Grass tip is coming out, so the bears should be out feeding soon too. :)

bsa30-06
03-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Nice to hear, i'm glad there still around.

hoochie
03-17-2007, 05:30 PM
I grew up there, and used to go in the bush all over the place in that area... never seen any sign of deer. BUt I have seen more than my fair share of raccoons and coyotes in that area. Up at the restraunt... ( Horizons?) there are always coyotes near by.